Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... 22:53 - Jun 21 with 14361 viewsunstableblue

.. that they still believe that leaving Europe is a good thing and worth the decade(s) of damage??

Certainly no Brexiteer can state that the Brexit vehicle, Tory leadership, and legislative burden is not very concerning.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 22:53]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 05:10 - Jun 22 with 7692 viewsnoggin

Standard reply is "We're leaving, deal with it, remoaner"

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 05:42 - Jun 22 with 7685 viewsevansblue

Only time will tell if it was a good decision but the referendum was a year ago and the country, rightly or wrongly decided to leave. That decision for me must be respected even though I voted remain.

I sincerely hope and also believe that in the long term things will be fine. I do get the feeling that a large number of people on the remain side hope it all fails though and in the future we are all skint surviving on eating oats by candle light and I don't get it.

I see it like this for example - In simple terms us Brits eat a lot of oranges, Spain exports to us and we are one of their biggest customers of fruit. It really is in their interest to ensure a fair deal or else we will simply import oranges from Israel for example. The buyer of goods always has the trump card. When negotiations really start to ramp up I am sure things will work out; no one will be kicked out of the country, skilled workers will still come here and farmers will still be allowed to employ people if there is a shortage of labour. Am I naive? Maybe but it's just my opinion.
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:01 - Jun 22 with 7674 viewstiptreeblue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 05:42 - Jun 22 by evansblue

Only time will tell if it was a good decision but the referendum was a year ago and the country, rightly or wrongly decided to leave. That decision for me must be respected even though I voted remain.

I sincerely hope and also believe that in the long term things will be fine. I do get the feeling that a large number of people on the remain side hope it all fails though and in the future we are all skint surviving on eating oats by candle light and I don't get it.

I see it like this for example - In simple terms us Brits eat a lot of oranges, Spain exports to us and we are one of their biggest customers of fruit. It really is in their interest to ensure a fair deal or else we will simply import oranges from Israel for example. The buyer of goods always has the trump card. When negotiations really start to ramp up I am sure things will work out; no one will be kicked out of the country, skilled workers will still come here and farmers will still be allowed to employ people if there is a shortage of labour. Am I naive? Maybe but it's just my opinion.

i really don`t understand why people can`t grasp that your third paragraph is almost certainly what will happen. they seem in a cocoon that we are sole reliant on the EU. there IS A BIG WORLD out there ready to deal with us if Europe don`t want to, and they do, don`t worry about that
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:44 - Jun 22 with 7612 viewsSuperfrans

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:01 - Jun 22 by tiptreeblue

i really don`t understand why people can`t grasp that your third paragraph is almost certainly what will happen. they seem in a cocoon that we are sole reliant on the EU. there IS A BIG WORLD out there ready to deal with us if Europe don`t want to, and they do, don`t worry about that

I don't think anyone is saying we are solely reliant on the EU.

My issue is that at a time of great economic uncertainty, when (after 5 years plus of austerity) we are still struggling to battle our way out of recession, it makes no sense at all to add extra uncertainty. Even if it's short term, (which I'm not convinced of, to be honest) as we look to establish new trade relationship, tariffs, etc, it is exactly the wrong period in our history to throw the cards up in the air for 2-3 years.

The only arguments in favour (at this time) seem to be the standard, hyper-patriotic, tub-thumping nonsense about what a great country this is and how we can ride it out.

Why create that risk at this point in time?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:46 - Jun 22 with 7608 viewsunstableblue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:01 - Jun 22 by tiptreeblue

Yes big world out there, but the mobile workforce we need is in Europe, London and many areas such as your own need low skilled immigration that is flexible:

At Wilkin and Sons in Essex, the picking season for strawberries is in full swing. But this year, they have 20% fewer workers than they would like.
"We're managing, but we're not comfortable," said joint managing director Chris Newenham.
"Our seasonal workers are a critical resource for us to be able to save our crop each year. And the logical extension of not being able to harvest that crop is that we will have to bring our production in from overseas and that's a position none of us want to see. "

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:50 - Jun 22 with 7598 viewsunstableblue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:44 - Jun 22 by Superfrans

I don't think anyone is saying we are solely reliant on the EU.

My issue is that at a time of great economic uncertainty, when (after 5 years plus of austerity) we are still struggling to battle our way out of recession, it makes no sense at all to add extra uncertainty. Even if it's short term, (which I'm not convinced of, to be honest) as we look to establish new trade relationship, tariffs, etc, it is exactly the wrong period in our history to throw the cards up in the air for 2-3 years.

The only arguments in favour (at this time) seem to be the standard, hyper-patriotic, tub-thumping nonsense about what a great country this is and how we can ride it out.

Why create that risk at this point in time?

Great post.

We should add in the damage to academia and research, which is going to be so essential going forward to our economy.

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:52 - Jun 22 with 7582 viewsSuperfrans

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:50 - Jun 22 by unstableblue

Great post.

We should add in the damage to academia and research, which is going to be so essential going forward to our economy.

Indeed.

And the absolute sh!t-show of a negotiation team/strategy. If this was all being played out on The Thick If It, we'd dismiss it as far fetched,

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:56 - Jun 22 with 7572 viewstiptreeblue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:46 - Jun 22 by unstableblue

Yes big world out there, but the mobile workforce we need is in Europe, London and many areas such as your own need low skilled immigration that is flexible:

At Wilkin and Sons in Essex, the picking season for strawberries is in full swing. But this year, they have 20% fewer workers than they would like.
"We're managing, but we're not comfortable," said joint managing director Chris Newenham.
"Our seasonal workers are a critical resource for us to be able to save our crop each year. And the logical extension of not being able to harvest that crop is that we will have to bring our production in from overseas and that's a position none of us want to see. "

But i believe none of that will stop, We can`t do without that just as Europe can`t do without our trade and people, it seems pretty obvious all the talk about people movement is just talk as neither of us could cope without it. it is opening us up to the rest of the world though
Login to get fewer ads

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:00 - Jun 22 with 7559 viewsunstableblue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:56 - Jun 22 by tiptreeblue

But i believe none of that will stop, We can`t do without that just as Europe can`t do without our trade and people, it seems pretty obvious all the talk about people movement is just talk as neither of us could cope without it. it is opening us up to the rest of the world though

So what was the point of Brexit?

If we are to maintain the free movement of labour with no restriction based on volume and skill level then I don't see the how Farage and his ilk will meet their agenda.

And we're just going to pay billions to bring legislation home that will mirror Europe anyway as we have to follow the same standards anyway,

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:12 - Jun 22 with 7529 viewsPlums

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:50 - Jun 22 by unstableblue

Great post.

Absolutely. Where I think it will be felt most and where the biggest con trick of the campaign was pulled is the regions of the UK that will no longer get regeneration money. Westminster will not be sending cash to Middlesbrough for such projects and that will cause huge difficulty for our former heavy industrial areas who will just be left to rot. The EU has many faults but it did distribute cash based on need, not petty politics.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:25 - Jun 22 with 7498 viewsallezlesbleus

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:46 - Jun 22 by unstableblue

Surely this means that benefits need to be looked at? There are jobs out there, but people are either too lazy or, as is more likely the case, they receive more in benefits than what the job is paying. Unless we have 0% unemployment all employers shouldn't have any problems in recruiting, whether it be from the "local" market or "foreigners".

I have argued for a number of years why aren't NI contributions scrapped for minimum wage earners. If the government wanted to make lower paid jobs more attractive (and help to lower the benefit costs) they could go one step further and scrap tax on minimum wages earners.
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:37 - Jun 22 with 7466 viewshampstead_blue

https://www.waterstones.com/book/and-the-weak-suffer-what-they-must/yanis-varouf

https://www.waterstones.com/book/adults-in-the-room/yanis-varoufakis/97818479244

Read those and let me know if you change your mind.

Europe, as it stands, is nothing more than a bunch of un-elected Dictators having a very long wet dream.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:43 - Jun 22 with 7460 viewsSuperfrans

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:37 - Jun 22 by hampstead_blue

https://www.waterstones.com/book/and-the-weak-suffer-what-they-must/yanis-varouf

https://www.waterstones.com/book/adults-in-the-room/yanis-varoufakis/97818479244

Read those and let me know if you change your mind.

Europe, as it stands, is nothing more than a bunch of un-elected Dictators having a very long wet dream.

Do you think it's better our own Government (unelected by 80% of the population) have control.

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:55 - Jun 22 with 7440 viewsevansblue

How did they used to manage then?
I am by no means a brexit fan but there are plenty of young people out there who would love some cash for seasonal work. Most GCSES finished this week so tap up the 16 year olds, go to Essex university and recruit. When I finished my GCSES I picked tomatoes and sorted them by colour for supermarkets. It's become too easy to use foreign workers that I think some people have lost sight on how it used to be done.
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:00 - Jun 22 with 7420 viewshampstead_blue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:55 - Jun 22 by evansblue

How did they used to manage then?
I am by no means a brexit fan but there are plenty of young people out there who would love some cash for seasonal work. Most GCSES finished this week so tap up the 16 year olds, go to Essex university and recruit. When I finished my GCSES I picked tomatoes and sorted them by colour for supermarkets. It's become too easy to use foreign workers that I think some people have lost sight on how it used to be done.

Problem is that "cash work" doesn't work these days.

With the many layers of employer regulation it is very unwise to offer work for cash.

I am refurbing a house and have been warned-off getting cash labour for the rip-out simply for the fact that if someone got the smallest cut they could sue my bottom-off.

Also, the cash economy isn't very helpful when it comes to paying fair taxes and NI.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:01 - Jun 22 with 7417 viewsHerbivore

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 06:56 - Jun 22 by tiptreeblue

The amount we export to the EU is very, very small in comparison to the amount we import. We are far more reliant on trade with them than they are with us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:04 - Jun 22 with 7399 viewsmeekreech

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:43 - Jun 22 by Superfrans

Do you think it's better our own Government (unelected by 80% of the population) have control.

Our own government received over 40% share of the vote so 80% could not be voting against!

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:06 - Jun 22 with 7390 viewsHerbivore

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:04 - Jun 22 by meekreech

Our own government received over 40% share of the vote so 80% could not be voting against!

40% of those who voted. Roughly 20% of the population voted for the Tories, but that's including people who aren't eligible to vote or who didn't vote.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:14 - Jun 22 with 7374 viewsmeekreech

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:01 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

The amount we export to the EU is very, very small in comparison to the amount we import. We are far more reliant on trade with them than they are with us.

I think you have it the wrong way round. We import more from the eu than they do from us so that we are a larger source of their revenue. We can offset their import trade with others thereby reducing their revenues and also increasing ours with free trade deals.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:22 - Jun 22 with 7355 viewsWD19

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:01 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

In fairness, I guess you could debate who is most 'reliant', the person buying the goods or the person whose business is built on selling the goods.......and the answer to that probably differs by the type of good (ie We are reliant on natural gas, we are probably less reliant on apples).

But......none of this is a surprise. The short to medium term pain of leaving the EU was always inevitable. The whole enterprise was/is one big gamble that there will be (relative) milk and honey in the long, long term if we properly tackle the structural changes needed in our economy. That's why.....after a lot of soul searching......I voted remain. I simply wasn't willing to gamble my children's future on a vague hope and dream......as emotionally appealing as that was.
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:27 - Jun 22 with 7340 viewsitfcjoe

Ultimately everything is going to just remain exactly the same but we are going to spend a vast um of money recreating it. It's absolute madness

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:29 - Jun 22 with 7329 viewsSteve_M

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:14 - Jun 22 by meekreech

I think you have it the wrong way round. We import more from the eu than they do from us so that we are a larger source of their revenue. We can offset their import trade with others thereby reducing their revenues and also increasing ours with free trade deals.

It is surely more relevant to consider the proportion of total British trade that is with the EU which would be affected by a calamitous departure. It's a far higher percentage than the proportion of the EU's total trade with the UK.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:35 - Jun 22 with 7316 viewstrncbluearmy

Can someone explains to me why leaving an organisation that makes FIFA look like saints,being able to trade with the rest of the world on our own terms ,being able to govern our own country freely and not having to pay the bills for Greece etc is a bad thing.

And has been said previously our economy is strong, we are serial consumer's, other countries are desperate to trade with us

Do not be afraid the future is what you make it
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:37 - Jun 22 with 7310 viewswitchdoctor

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:06 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

40% of those who voted. Roughly 20% of the population voted for the Tories, but that's including people who aren't eligible to vote or who didn't vote.

did Labour have a bigger percentage of the vote then?...genuine question as I haven't got a scooby
Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 08:40 - Jun 22 with 7297 viewsStokieBlue

Can any Brexiteer on here genuinely, and I mean genuinely, state... on 07:43 - Jun 22 by Superfrans

I agree with your points on the EU but your 80% figure is meaningless. Our electoral system doesn't work the way you are implying.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024