Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this racist? 10:50 - Jul 20 with 22168 viewsDolly2.0

A mate of mine is black and we joke around a lot, often about stuff that's close to the knuckle (for example he jokes about when he doesn't want to do something he's going to 'black me up' and send me instead).

The other day I made a joke (he wasn't around at the time). We were talking about Black Friday and I said "is that when X (my mate) goes shopping?"

Is that racist?

The people I said it to were sort of 'mock' offended and one told my mate (again in a 'mock grassing me up' way). He seemed to laugh it off but I got the impression maybe I went a bit far this time.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking. He seems fine since.

I might be a bit old fashioned but I tend to think if something isn't said with malice and doesn't actually denigrate someone because of their race, then it's not racist. Am I right or out of touch?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Is this racist? on 12:59 - Jul 20 with 3378 viewsStenvict

Is this racist? on 12:42 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Lot of white experts on racism in this thread.

No need to put us 'whites' in a category.

I'm offended.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Is this racist? on 13:01 - Jul 20 with 3368 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is this racist? on 12:53 - Jul 20 by WD19

But to my point elsewhere in this thread, Lenny Henry still does.

Saw him open an ethnic minority sports awards dinner with a line about it being nice to see 'ethiopian looking people running 26 miles for fun ad not just in search for food' (or similar) a couple of months back.

Imagine Jim Davidson cracking that one to a white audience.

Which brings us on to the N word. Ice Cube was on TV last week saying how black Americans have reclaimed the word. Which I kind of understand and who am I to challenge his view? However a black presenter on Sky News, I forget her name, said the opposite. She wished that black people would stop using it and the word would be consigned to history.

I agree with her on that. Words like w*g and c**n are never used. I haven't heard anyone use these words since the 1970's. But Rap culture is keeping the N word alive. No matter how noble their reasons are I honestly believe that if they didn't then we wouldn't hear that one any more either.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Is this racist? on 13:02 - Jul 20 with 3363 viewschicoazul

Is this racist? on 12:44 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

Am I one your experts? If so, I feel like I've experienced enough racism to have an opinon, boss.

what racism? Us lot calling you a six-toed sister shagger doesnt count.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is this racist? on 13:03 - Jul 20 with 3352 viewswkj

If you have to ask yourself "Was that racist?" there is a decent chance it could be seen that way

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

on 13:05 - Jul 20 with 3340 views_

Is this racist? on 12:00 - Jul 20 by hype313

Nope. It's a joke about someone's skin colour.

Why do you think people like Jim Davidson have no career now.

Is this racist? on 13:08 - Jul 20 with 3322 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 13:02 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

what racism? Us lot calling you a six-toed sister shagger doesnt count.

You don't read my posts, brute - I explained above: tons at school. Although I have to admit there's a difference between institutional racism and person to person slanging matches.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this racist? on 13:09 - Jul 20 with 3314 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 12:35 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

maybe I'm dating myself, but back in school days (edit: a majority black school) that was a regular insult for us white piggies.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 12:36]

"I'm dating myself" - times must be getting hard if you can't even pull your sister/mother/brother anymore.

Is this racist? on 13:09 - Jul 20 with 3313 viewsBluebell

One could question why it is called 'Black Friday'?

Is that racist in itself? Selling something cheaper than normal!

For what it's worth I think the comment Dolly made could be construed as racist because the friend wasn't there as others have said. But,as it is a good friendship, I doubt the friend would have considered it so.
Login to get fewer ads

Is this racist? on 13:12 - Jul 20 with 3301 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 13:03 - Jul 20 by wkj

If you have to ask yourself "Was that racist?" there is a decent chance it could be seen that way

I know. I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to make this comment.

I was more trying to spark a debate, as mentioned elsewhere.

Is this racist? on 13:12 - Jul 20 with 3295 viewschicoazul

Is this racist? on 13:12 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

I know. I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to make this comment.

I was more trying to spark a debate, as mentioned elsewhere.

Ah, you're testing us.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Is this racist? on 13:13 - Jul 20 with 3291 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 13:09 - Jul 20 by Dolly2.0

"I'm dating myself" - times must be getting hard if you can't even pull your sister/mother/brother anymore.

strawmuncher

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Is this racist? on 13:13 - Jul 20 with 3283 viewsIllinoisblue

Is this racist? on 13:09 - Jul 20 by Bluebell

For what it's worth I think the comment Dolly made could be construed as racist because the friend wasn't there as others have said. But,as it is a good friendship, I doubt the friend would have considered it so.

https://www.thebalance.com/why-is-it-called-black-friday-3305712

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is this racist? on 13:15 - Jul 20 with 3270 viewschicoazul

Is this racist? on 13:08 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

You don't read my posts, brute - I explained above: tons at school. Although I have to admit there's a difference between institutional racism and person to person slanging matches.

That kind of stuff still goes on all the time. Guy I know regularly gets this nightbus back to Ealing from work and gets called ghost and ofay all the time.

Is this racist? on 13:15 - Jul 20 with 3270 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 13:09 - Jul 20 by Bluebell

It's because this is when retailers are traditionally making a profit (i.e. "in the black") rather than a loss ("in the red").

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-is-it-called-black-friday

Is this racist? on 13:17 - Jul 20 with 3262 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 13:12 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

Ah, you're testing us.

That's the third comment you've made in this thread - all of which are taking the piss out of someone rather than joining the debate.

Is this racist? on 13:19 - Jul 20 with 3252 viewsBlue_Order

I bet the OP's got a golliwog sitting on his mantelpiece.
Is this racist? on 13:20 - Jul 20 with 3242 viewsgiant_stow

Is this racist? on 13:15 - Jul 20 by chicoazul

That kind of stuff still goes on all the time. Guy I know regularly gets this nightbus back to Ealing from work and gets called ghost and ofay all the time.

I get 'ghost' but what's with 'Ofay'?!

Is this racist? on 13:25 - Jul 20 with 3221 viewstcblue

It's just exactly the same as calling Jimmy Hill 'chinny'. EXACTLY THE SAME
Is this racist? on 13:25 - Jul 20 with 3215 viewschicoazul

Is this racist? on 13:20 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

I get 'ghost' but what's with 'Ofay'?!

I had never heard it before either, turns out its an old American South term of abuse for whites.

Is this racist? on 13:28 - Jul 20 with 3206 viewsWD19

Is this racist? on 13:01 - Jul 20 by GlasgowBlue

Which brings us on to the N word. Ice Cube was on TV last week saying how black Americans have reclaimed the word. Which I kind of understand and who am I to challenge his view? However a black presenter on Sky News, I forget her name, said the opposite. She wished that black people would stop using it and the word would be consigned to history.

I agree with her on that. Words like w*g and c**n are never used. I haven't heard anyone use these words since the 1970's. But Rap culture is keeping the N word alive. No matter how noble their reasons are I honestly believe that if they didn't then we wouldn't hear that one any more either.

c**n was a nickname I was often given at school because I tanned more than most. That was in the early 1990's.....but it was rural Essex.
Is this racist? on 13:28 - Jul 20 with 3206 viewsLord_Lucan

Is this racist? on 12:51 - Jul 20 by RoyKeanesDog

Accepting them, and finding them funny doesn't stop them from being racist though.

Who is accepting who? I no understand Pedro.

Are you saying Rup and co were racist? I don't think so.

If I were to make a joke about the size of Desmonds cock then it's not racist but if it were someone I didn't know then of course it is.

We all realise (I think) about context.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 13:30]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Is this racist? on 13:36 - Jul 20 with 3176 viewsDarkHorse

Sound like racial horseplay to me. Nothing wrong with that.
Is this racist? on 13:42 - Jul 20 with 3162 viewsSuperfrans

It all depends on the context and how well you know the person referred to.

None of us like to be reduced to a one-dimensional object, reflecting one part of us - and some of us are more sensitive to that than others. The degree of our sensitivity may also depend on lots of external factors, including the day we've had or the circumstances in which the comment is made.

As a comparison, one of my work colleagues (who happens to be gay, but not overtly so) got very heated at Christmas when another of our colleagues (who is a bit of an prat - the pair of them don't get on) got his secret Santa present, a biography of Boy George. My gay colleague thought he was being prejudiced by assuming that, because he was gay, he would like a biography of an iconic gay man. I personally thought he was taking it a bit seriously, as did another colleague (who also happens to be gay) but others on the team understood where the irritation was coming from.

Anyway, I suppose the lesson is that sometimes things can be taken in ways that are not meant - but that it is always worth considering people's sensitiviities.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Is this racist? on 13:52 - Jul 20 with 3138 viewsDolly2.0

Is this racist? on 13:42 - Jul 20 by Superfrans

It all depends on the context and how well you know the person referred to.

None of us like to be reduced to a one-dimensional object, reflecting one part of us - and some of us are more sensitive to that than others. The degree of our sensitivity may also depend on lots of external factors, including the day we've had or the circumstances in which the comment is made.

As a comparison, one of my work colleagues (who happens to be gay, but not overtly so) got very heated at Christmas when another of our colleagues (who is a bit of an prat - the pair of them don't get on) got his secret Santa present, a biography of Boy George. My gay colleague thought he was being prejudiced by assuming that, because he was gay, he would like a biography of an iconic gay man. I personally thought he was taking it a bit seriously, as did another colleague (who also happens to be gay) but others on the team understood where the irritation was coming from.

Anyway, I suppose the lesson is that sometimes things can be taken in ways that are not meant - but that it is always worth considering people's sensitiviities.

It is interesting that this thread seems to be split (fairly equally, without totting up an exact figure), into 3 groups. Those that say it's not racist, those that say it is, and those that say it depends on the context.

Still a lot of grey area on what is racism in 2017!

Is this racist? on 14:01 - Jul 20 with 3117 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Is this racist? on 13:28 - Jul 20 by Lord_Lucan

Who is accepting who? I no understand Pedro.

Are you saying Rup and co were racist? I don't think so.

If I were to make a joke about the size of Desmonds cock then it's not racist but if it were someone I didn't know then of course it is.

We all realise (I think) about context.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2017 13:30]

The point I'm making is that they are all racist comments, but some can be seen as acceptable in the right context.

Poll: Best Football Song

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024