Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? 10:59 - Jul 21 with 9834 viewsbaxterbasics

He's getting some Twitter love from some unlikely sources for the below, might appeal to Callis and his sort:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/21/michael-gove-farmers-must-prove

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/animal-cruelty-needs-tougher-laws-says-michae

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:04 - Jul 21 with 6417 viewschicoazul

I read about this earlier.

It seems....good?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:10 - Jul 21 with 6397 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Some good Tory press??

Quick Theresa, announce something that further alienates the 18-30's.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:30 - Jul 21 with 6370 viewsGlasgowBlue

Gove got a lot of praise during his time as Justice Secretary when he carried out prison reform.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/09/michael-gove-reformer-libe

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/17/gove-praised-by-penal-reform-gro

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:36 - Jul 21 with 6355 viewsMullet

For his stint ruining education he should be in the Tower, or even better, the sea.

Odious little jizzwand that ranks up there with Boris.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:41 - Jul 21 with 6326 viewsDubtractor

I read the article this morning and there was plenty to agree with.

He is still in debt for his spell in education though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:41 - Jul 21 with 6320 viewsBOjK

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:30 - Jul 21 by GlasgowBlue

Gove got a lot of praise during his time as Justice Secretary when he carried out prison reform.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/09/michael-gove-reformer-libe

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/17/gove-praised-by-penal-reform-gro

Indeed. He's a clever chap and an independent thinker. I was very happy with what he was doing at Justice (and many of the things he did at education I supported). He also seems to have made an encouraging start at Environment.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:41 - Jul 21 with 6321 viewsThrobbe

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:36 - Jul 21 by Mullet

For his stint ruining education he should be in the Tower, or even better, the sea.

While I think he was fundamentally wrong about almost everything in education, there were times where he changed his position after speaking to teaching professionals and experts.

A politician with the nerve to admit that they were wrong seems a rare thing these days, and that impressed me.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:45 - Jul 21 with 6297 viewsMullet

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:41 - Jul 21 by Throbbe

While I think he was fundamentally wrong about almost everything in education, there were times where he changed his position after speaking to teaching professionals and experts.

A politician with the nerve to admit that they were wrong seems a rare thing these days, and that impressed me.

A bit like Brexit, way too late once the avalanche of sh1t was already in motion.

I'm not even sure it was more than a token effort or an attempt not have his bluff called.

Either way he's remarkably good at clinging to power for a man so slimy, which is to be applauded.

Login to get fewer ads

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:49 - Jul 21 with 6275 viewsblue_oyster

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:30 - Jul 21 by GlasgowBlue

You mean 'when he talked about prison reform'. There has been no such reform, and the prisons remain in a perilous state.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:49 - Jul 21 with 6277 viewsBOjK

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:41 - Jul 21 by Throbbe

I felt his moves against dumbing down, focus on excellence, and his drive to pass more responsibility to headteachers and leadership teams were all immensely valuable. He also was in charge of refreshing the IT curriculum to good effect.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:51 - Jul 21 with 6259 viewsGlasgowBlue

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:49 - Jul 21 by blue_oyster

You mean 'when he talked about prison reform'. There has been no such reform, and the prisons remain in a perilous state.

That is the fault of the May government.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/liz-truss-shelves-michael-goves-flags

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:57 - Jul 21 with 6236 viewsblue_oyster

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:51 - Jul 21 by GlasgowBlue

That is the fault of the May government.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/liz-truss-shelves-michael-goves-flags

Arguable who's fault it was, and I'm not taking sides. A good, effective minister will get his reforms through, when necessary. I was pointing out that he has not carried out prison reform, contrary to what you stated.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:01 - Jul 21 with 6220 viewsMullet

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:49 - Jul 21 by BOjK

I felt his moves against dumbing down, focus on excellence, and his drive to pass more responsibility to headteachers and leadership teams were all immensely valuable. He also was in charge of refreshing the IT curriculum to good effect.

There's no focus on excellence, there's a focus on volume and by virtue of this alienating vast swathes of school kids dressed up as a pursuit of excellence. His attitude reeks of "I went to a grammar school so we'll do what they did as I turned out all right" type nonsense.

The two new specs I'm wrestling with this summer are hatchet jobs, and it's not entirely the exam board's fault by and large. There has been a systematic removal of courses and qualifications for kids who can't access a lot of this material, whether that's down to SEN or EAL issues or simple life chances and exposure. All at a time when exam boards have been laying off huge amounts of staff and getting in temps who neither care or have the knowledge necessary to do what's required on the day to day front line stuff (sounds familiar right?)

The whole point of GCSE's should be a general preparation, especially for those going to A-Level, but also those who aren't. Instead they've just picked the carcasses off A-Level specs and rammed it into the new GCSE's in a hotchpotch fashion.

There has been some temperance but largely schools, teachers and leadership across a range of institutions are yet to find out what these new grades mean, what they look like and if they will be doctored this summer for propaganda purposes. There's an impossible task in trying to find equivalence an information is both slow to come forth and then changed, or left to muddle with rumours and guesses.

I've even emailed exam boards directly and been given patently wrong and contradictory information, wasting my work, causing unnecessary stress and all manner of issues. I'm one of hundreds if not thousands.

While I take your IT comment on board, as a subject my colleagues are struggling to see how they can cater for kids like ours because as with elsewhere, they feel the content is too advanced, unsuitable, boring etc. I can only assume he's seen a walnut and reached for his sledgehammer when you look at the picture across all the meetings I've been both internally and externally.

Make no mistake, he's fcuked it right up. We're just waiting to see how badly.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 12:17]

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:03 - Jul 21 with 6208 views26_Paz

Education, like health, is a bit of a poisoned chalice TBH. Unless their departments get more money. Unless they get more cash from the chancellor they're only ever going to get stick ...

The Paz Man

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:10 - Jul 21 with 6174 viewsBlueBadger

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:03 - Jul 21 by 26_Paz

Education, like health, is a bit of a poisoned chalice TBH. Unless their departments get more money. Unless they get more cash from the chancellor they're only ever going to get stick ...

Not indulging in needlessly antagonising and/or undermining your employees or implementing systemic overhauls that have little by way of supporting evidence base is quite a good way to avoid that, with the added advantage that it tends to be very cheap, as well.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 12:15]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:15 - Jul 21 with 6152 viewsFixed_It

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:01 - Jul 21 by Mullet

There's no focus on excellence, there's a focus on volume and by virtue of this alienating vast swathes of school kids dressed up as a pursuit of excellence. His attitude reeks of "I went to a grammar school so we'll do what they did as I turned out all right" type nonsense.

The two new specs I'm wrestling with this summer are hatchet jobs, and it's not entirely the exam board's fault by and large. There has been a systematic removal of courses and qualifications for kids who can't access a lot of this material, whether that's down to SEN or EAL issues or simple life chances and exposure. All at a time when exam boards have been laying off huge amounts of staff and getting in temps who neither care or have the knowledge necessary to do what's required on the day to day front line stuff (sounds familiar right?)

The whole point of GCSE's should be a general preparation, especially for those going to A-Level, but also those who aren't. Instead they've just picked the carcasses off A-Level specs and rammed it into the new GCSE's in a hotchpotch fashion.

There has been some temperance but largely schools, teachers and leadership across a range of institutions are yet to find out what these new grades mean, what they look like and if they will be doctored this summer for propaganda purposes. There's an impossible task in trying to find equivalence an information is both slow to come forth and then changed, or left to muddle with rumours and guesses.

I've even emailed exam boards directly and been given patently wrong and contradictory information, wasting my work, causing unnecessary stress and all manner of issues. I'm one of hundreds if not thousands.

While I take your IT comment on board, as a subject my colleagues are struggling to see how they can cater for kids like ours because as with elsewhere, they feel the content is too advanced, unsuitable, boring etc. I can only assume he's seen a walnut and reached for his sledgehammer when you look at the picture across all the meetings I've been both internally and externally.

Make no mistake, he's fcuked it right up. We're just waiting to see how badly.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 12:17]

It's a mess - and we're losing too many good teachers and, tellingly, good Leaders/Headteachers who despair at what the system has become.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:17 - Jul 21 with 6136 viewsBlueBadger

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:15 - Jul 21 by Fixed_It

It's a mess - and we're losing too many good teachers and, tellingly, good Leaders/Headteachers who despair at what the system has become.

Three years ago, Mrs Badger started an OU degree wit the intent of eventually going into teaching. £ years of watching the news, reading the TES and talkng to friends in teh teaching game have done for that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:36 - Jul 21 with 6076 viewsbaxterbasics

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 11:10 - Jul 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Some good Tory press??

Quick Theresa, announce something that further alienates the 18-30's.

Like making promises on student finance before an election, only to downgrade said promises to an 'ambition' six weeks later?

zip

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:38 - Jul 21 with 6067 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:36 - Jul 21 by baxterbasics

Like making promises on student finance before an election, only to downgrade said promises to an 'ambition' six weeks later?

Did she do that?

I was thinking more of yesterdays announcement re retirement age.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:45 - Jul 21 with 6041 viewsbaxterbasics

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:38 - Jul 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Did she do that?

I was thinking more of yesterdays announcement re retirement age.

No, Labour did.

zip

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:56 - Jul 21 with 6006 viewsflimflam

He is a very good politician and highly respected among his colleagues.

The bad press he received when Education Secretary was unfair in my opinion.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 13:09 - Jul 21 with 5976 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:45 - Jul 21 by baxterbasics

No, Labour did.

Ah, no surprise there really.

Thats what happens when you make promises that cant be delivered.

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 13:10 - Jul 21 with 5973 viewsBlueBadger

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:56 - Jul 21 by flimflam

He is a very good politician and highly respected among his colleagues.

The bad press he received when Education Secretary was unfair in my opinion.

Yes, but his colleagues are the tory front bench. Respect from a bunch of thickos, sociopaths and incompetents isn't really of much value.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2017 16:15]

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 13:11 - Jul 21 with 5964 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Education has been on the decline for the past two decades, its nothing new.

teachers have complained about the 'stress' and 'workload' for a very long time.

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 13:12 - Jul 21 with 5963 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Michael Gove starting to impress a few people? on 12:17 - Jul 21 by BlueBadger

Three years ago, Mrs Badger started an OU degree wit the intent of eventually going into teaching. £ years of watching the news, reading the TES and talkng to friends in teh teaching game have done for that.

Teachers have never been good advocates for their own profession.

She should give it a go and make her own judgement.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024