Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... 13:04 - Aug 14 with 9210 viewsJackSted

Should I take it? My boss came up to me today and said they need someone to move from our London office to our Barcelona office on a 6 month contract. They said I am their number one choice and I'm just wondering if any of my fellow TWTDers have any advice, e.g, if any of you have been there (or lived there) before?

I'm only 20 years old so it's not like I have a wife and kids to leave behind haha

UPDATE: I've spoken to my boss and have accepted the offer. They're still considering other options at the mo but they will get back to me tomorrow.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2017 15:00]

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:26 - Aug 14 with 2730 viewsDyland

Benters will buy out your ST.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:26 - Aug 14 with 2730 viewsDarth_Koont

At the very least it's a nice way to spend Autumn and Winter. Also perhaps not long before the chances to experience a European way of life become much more limited.

Go for it!

Pronouns: He/Him

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:28 - Aug 14 with 2733 viewsDurovigutum

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:21 - Aug 14 by JackSted

I'm an ICT technician. We already have an engineer in the Barcelona office but apparently it's getting more difficult for him to be able to manage 200 clients so they need one of us there for 6 months to help him out.

I do IT. In 2001 I was informally offered a role in New York (then working in London) which I didn't take as we had bought a run down house and was doing it up. Only me and the Mrs then, and it's one of the very few "what if..." moments where I would like to have made the alternate choice. Now as a cynical hiring manager I love to see candidates with the "get up and go" to have got up and gone, even if it's a disaster you will learn. Plus with Brexit this sort of opportunity may be far harder to come by.

And I've been to Barcelona a number of times for work and pleasure and it's great, especially if you can escape the English winter!
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:29 - Aug 14 with 2726 viewscatch74

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:16 - Aug 14 by Steve_M

Just to hammer the point home, it sounds a great opportunity and the fact that it is only six months means you have a defined route back if you don't enjoy it - you may find you have the opposite problem then!

I think Barcelona is fairly expensive but if you're used to London then that won't be too much of a shock.

Regardless it will be good experience and a nice thing to put on a CV.

What do you do as a matter of interest?

I think this made an appearance on here before - maybe cheaper in Barcelona!
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/cities/2015/aug/11/commuting-

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:34 - Aug 14 with 2716 viewsStenvict

The style of football between Ipswich and Barcelona's number 1 team; Barcelona are similar so you won't miss much football-wise.

Poll: What will be announced first?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:34 - Aug 14 with 2716 viewsSteve_M

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:21 - Aug 14 by JackSted

I'm an ICT technician. We already have an engineer in the Barcelona office but apparently it's getting more difficult for him to be able to manage 200 clients so they need one of us there for 6 months to help him out.

You might get the option to extend it then.

These opportunities are a lot easier to take at your age than when older so hopefully you don't need to do any more thinking about it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:59 - Aug 14 with 2678 viewsITFC_Forever

Go for it.... it's 6 months, and from what you've said so far on this thread, there's every chance that could be extended if it goes well for all parties.

If it doesn't go well, then even in the worst case, it's only 6 month, you'll be back not long in to the new year and you can put it down to experience.

And your company wouldn't be asking you to do it if they didn't think you had enough about you to be able to cope with it.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 14:18 - Aug 14 with 2649 viewsEiffel65

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 13:08 - Aug 14 by JackSted

From what I'm aware most of the 200 people in our Barcelona office speak English as a second language

On a technicality, they probably speak Spanish as a second language, with English third.

Keep The Faith

Login to get fewer ads

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 14:20 - Aug 14 with 2640 viewsNo9

Go - make as many good contacts as you can.
Make a new life before its too late & GOOD LUCK
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 15:26 - Aug 14 with 2590 viewsitfcjoe

Sounds a great opportunity - hope it all works out well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 15:31 - Aug 14 with 2579 viewsunbelievablue

Congratulations. I'm very envious! Hope it goes well.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:24 - Aug 14 with 2532 viewsHeathlander

Also get iFollow so you can watch every minute of every Town game while sipping sangria. Go for it young Blue.
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:28 - Aug 14 with 2521 viewsWeWereZombies

Fes-ho

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:36 - Aug 14 with 2506 viewsBarcaBlue

I arrived in Catalunya 30 years ago on a 9 month contract....as others have said it's a no-brainer

PM me if you need anything.
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:36 - Aug 14 with 2500 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Go for it -

You might find a Spanish young lady and you won't want to come home.
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:42 - Aug 14 with 2480 viewsAce_High1

Go for it. If you don't take it I will!!
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:42 - Aug 14 with 2477 viewsJackSted

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:36 - Aug 14 by BtreeBlueBlood

Go for it -

You might find a Spanish young lady and you won't want to come home.

I've already got a Mrs 😉

Hopefully she's okay with me leaving her for 6 months 😂

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:45 - Aug 14 with 2469 viewsNewcyBlue

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:42 - Aug 14 by JackSted

I've already got a Mrs 😉

Hopefully she's okay with me leaving her for 6 months 😂

If she isn't, then she isn't worth your time.

It's a big ask of her, but if she is really worth it she will wait.

Luckily you should have decent internet and easy flights so you will be able to see her regularly.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:50 - Aug 14 with 2452 viewsITFC_Forever

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:45 - Aug 14 by NewcyBlue

If she isn't, then she isn't worth your time.

It's a big ask of her, but if she is really worth it she will wait.

Luckily you should have decent internet and easy flights so you will be able to see her regularly.

And if she really is worth it, she'll come out and join you in the long-term.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:52 - Aug 14 with 2446 viewsRimmersBrace

Make sure you say you are interested only if the money is right.
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 17:05 - Aug 14 with 2429 viewsBlue_Order

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 16:36 - Aug 14 by BarcaBlue

I arrived in Catalunya 30 years ago on a 9 month contract....as others have said it's a no-brainer

PM me if you need anything.

The last 29 years and 3 months must have been a bit of a struggle financially, mate?
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 17:51 - Aug 14 with 2400 viewsFreddies_Ears

Go. It'll be brilliant. Wonderful city.

You'll miss ITFC's new style of football though. Not sure if there's a decent club there.
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 17:56 - Aug 14 with 2395 viewsmos

The football is probably better too.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 18:13 - Aug 14 with 2376 viewsjas0999

If you need further encouragement ....

GO
I've just been offered a job in Barcelona on a 6 month contract... on 18:18 - Aug 14 with 2372 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Definitely not...." Brexit means Brexit !".......traitor.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024