Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? 21:08 - Aug 16 with 18697 viewsDolly2.0

The walkway goes all the way to the station platform, so how dodgy was it likely to be?

Don't mind so much after a win but it took me twice as long getting out of the ground as it did getting home.

Just glad I was going the opposite way to London Bridge. That train was sardine-tastic. Feel sorry for any non-footy fans on that, not knowing a game had just finished!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 10:40 - Aug 17 with 5463 viewsBenters

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 10:35 - Aug 17 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, in the PO season, we were kept briefly behind the rear of the stand, then at the end of the walkway for longer.

Bang on Sir.

It was cold and dark.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 10:41 - Aug 17 with 5472 viewsStenvict

I've been to Millwall away the past 6/7 times and Tuesday night and the previous visit when we won 3-1 were the only times we've been kept waiting outside the away end.

I was surprised when it happened previously as it hadn't happened before but come to think of it, we must have been stopped further up the walkway but I can't remember.

Poll: What will be announced first?

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 11:04 - Aug 17 with 5457 viewsDolly2.0

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 01:54 - Aug 17 by The_Romford_Blue

No need to flounce. Chin up.

You aren't getting it. 'No more nutty with us than anyone else they don't care about'. That isn't the point. Millwall conceding it the 88th minute are gonna be fu**ed off. A p1ssed off Millwall and a 2000 away end would be something the police would like to avoid. Particularly midweek when more alcohol would have been intoxicated.

Therefore, we were held back as the away side to stop it kicking off on that little playoform.

For some reason, you've decided to get all patronising about it because not everyobody agrees with you that it was unnecessary to hold us back.

No, you're not getting it.

Why is more alcohol consumed midweek than on a saturday?

I haven't said it's unnecessary to hold us back. I've said FOR SO LONG.

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 11:36 - Aug 17 with 5430 viewsipswich78

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 22:00 - Aug 16 by AdmiralFunge

Man Rommers has got a point.

Millwall don't care about us, and never will. That didn't stop them from trying to demolish the Cobbold stand in 1996, after we relegated them.

I remember that game well. I was at the front of the North Stand, right near the Cobbold stand. That was the first game I saw 'proper' trouble at. Not nice outside the ground afterwards as well.

Although, if I recall correctly I am sure that they announced over the tannoy that Millwall had been relegated.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:52 - Aug 17 with 5357 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 11:04 - Aug 17 by Dolly2.0

No, you're not getting it.

Why is more alcohol consumed midweek than on a saturday?

I haven't said it's unnecessary to hold us back. I've said FOR SO LONG.

I am getting it. I just disagree with you and you don't like that.

Of course there's more alcohol consumed midweek than a Saturday. More time to for a start. Hence why us and scum aren't ever midweek.

It took that lon for the trains to be filled up and the platform empty from the Millwall fans.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:55 - Aug 17 with 5353 viewsunbelievablue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:52 - Aug 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Of course there's more alcohol consumed midweek than a Saturday. More time to for a start. Hence why us and scum aren't ever midweek.

It took that lon for the trains to be filled up and the platform empty from the Millwall fans.

More time to drink alcohol? In theory yes, but the vast majority of people in attendance will be working, most of them at least until 4 o'clock.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:57 - Aug 17 with 5346 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:55 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

More time to drink alcohol? In theory yes, but the vast majority of people in attendance will be working, most of them at least until 4 o'clock.

If it's deemed less likely to kick off midweek, why would the police not let Millwall West Ham play midweek or us and scum?

Surely they deem midweek more of a threat on that basis?

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:01 - Aug 17 with 5336 viewsunbelievablue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:57 - Aug 17 by The_Romford_Blue

If it's deemed less likely to kick off midweek, why would the police not let Millwall West Ham play midweek or us and scum?

Surely they deem midweek more of a threat on that basis?

The police have let Millwall/West Ham and Ips/Nodge go ahead mid-week.

The longer you give fans to booze, the more likely there will be trouble, as you say, but that likelihood when it's Ipswich at Millwall is very low in comparison to Ipswich at Norwich. People will take the afternoon/day off if we're playing Norwich mid-week, and get right tanked up, but not so many will at Millwall away.

Login to get fewer ads

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:16 - Aug 17 with 5314 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:01 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

The police have let Millwall/West Ham and Ips/Nodge go ahead mid-week.

The longer you give fans to booze, the more likely there will be trouble, as you say, but that likelihood when it's Ipswich at Millwall is very low in comparison to Ipswich at Norwich. People will take the afternoon/day off if we're playing Norwich mid-week, and get right tanked up, but not so many will at Millwall away.

Either way, I still think after a late winner like that, the police keeping us away from them was a good idea as it only takes one of our fans to chant something silly and cause a riot.

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:19 - Aug 17 with 5311 viewsunbelievablue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:16 - Aug 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Either way, I still think after a late winner like that, the police keeping us away from them was a good idea as it only takes one of our fans to chant something silly and cause a riot.

We'll have to agree to disagree. A silly chant from one of our fans would not have caused a riot.

It was sensible because the platform at South Bermondsey is a nightmare, however.

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:54 - Aug 17 with 5288 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:19 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

We'll have to agree to disagree. A silly chant from one of our fans would not have caused a riot.

It was sensible because the platform at South Bermondsey is a nightmare, however.

One idiot starts a '4-3 to the tractor boys' or something on that tiny platform and it would've POTENTIALLY caused trouble

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:56 - Aug 17 with 5285 viewsunbelievablue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:54 - Aug 17 by The_Romford_Blue

One idiot starts a '4-3 to the tractor boys' or something on that tiny platform and it would've POTENTIALLY caused trouble

Potentially caused trouble is different to a riot, young'un.

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:57 - Aug 17 with 5283 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 15:56 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

Potentially caused trouble is different to a riot, young'un.

True dat

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 16:14 - Aug 17 with 5270 viewsDolly2.0

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:52 - Aug 17 by The_Romford_Blue

No I'm fine with you having your own opinion, I just don't like the way you said I'm not getting it, particularly as I have a lot more experience of it than you. As others have said, we're not normally held that long.

You're utterly wrong about people having more drinking time on a week day. Most adults work. I had time for one pint pre-match. I have several on a Saturday before 3pm.

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 16:20 - Aug 17 with 5263 viewsBluebell

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 16:14 - Aug 17 by Dolly2.0

No I'm fine with you having your own opinion, I just don't like the way you said I'm not getting it, particularly as I have a lot more experience of it than you. As others have said, we're not normally held that long.

You're utterly wrong about people having more drinking time on a week day. Most adults work. I had time for one pint pre-match. I have several on a Saturday before 3pm.

You are right Dolly about people having to get to Tuesday evening games from work so no time for drinking. Also a lot of people have to drive to work the next day and can't have alcohol in their system.

As I said earlier, I agree about being held back for longer than usual and that is one of the reasons we weren't there on Tuesday as I knew we would miss our trains.
I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 16:33 - Aug 17 with 5246 viewsglasso

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 10:35 - Aug 17 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, in the PO season, we were kept briefly behind the rear of the stand, then at the end of the walkway for longer.

Some of the other posters on here are right - Millwall are nowhere near as bad as they used to be - or are still rumoured to be.

Me and a mate live fairly close to the ground so walked up to New Cross among a fair few Millwall fans. Wasn't obvious that we were Ipswich as we weren't wearing colours, but I wouldn't have felt the need to hide it.

About 200 metres from the ground we bumped into an Ipswich fan walking on his own up the street in his colours and nobody batted an eyelid.

Like other people have said, if you're not being a dick, then you'd be pretty unlucky to run into one of the minority of Millwall fans who'd have a problem with you.
I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 17:17 - Aug 17 with 5216 viewsjontysnut

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 22:09 - Aug 16 by Dolly2.0

Really? What?

I've been to Millwall many times and never seen any. Care to elaborate? As far as I was aware we don't even register on their radar.

Most fans who go to most games are fine - it's the day tripper element who come out for certain matches. I suspect it would be different if we met in the playoffs.
I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 18:17 - Aug 17 with 5183 viewsBenters

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 14:55 - Aug 17 by unbelievablue

Working?

Come again?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 18:59 - Aug 17 with 5159 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 18:17 - Aug 17 by Benters

Working?

Come again?

Seen, acknowledged, ignored

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 23:37 - Aug 17 with 5098 viewsDolly2.0

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 07:16 - Aug 17 by GlasgowBlue

Is that it? Some fans ran on the pitch while playing Ipswich in the 70's?!

Thanks for helping my point!

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 00:06 - Aug 18 with 5087 viewsMelford

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 11:36 - Aug 17 by ipswich78

I remember that game well. I was at the front of the North Stand, right near the Cobbold stand. That was the first game I saw 'proper' trouble at. Not nice outside the ground afterwards as well.

Although, if I recall correctly I am sure that they announced over the tannoy that Millwall had been relegated.

It wasn't until it came over the tannoy and we started singing "going down" that they realised. Then they went mental. That was the worst I've seen inside the ground, then they started ripping up the seats and chucking them all over the place.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 00:35 - Aug 18 with 5074 viewsKilburnBlue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 23:37 - Aug 17 by Dolly2.0

Mixture of views from the Millwall fans who remember that day in 1978

http://www.millwall.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24661&s

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 00:51 - Aug 18 with 5070 viewsKilburnBlue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 00:06 - Aug 18 by Melford

It wasn't until it came over the tannoy and we started singing "going down" that they realised. Then they went mental. That was the worst I've seen inside the ground, then they started ripping up the seats and chucking them all over the place.

From what I remember as soon as the game had finished the guy on the tannoy mentioned the Portsmouth scoreline (beating Huddersfield 1-0) confirming Millwall had gone down. The North Stand let off a big roar as we kind of celebrated this fact. Then all hell broke loose.

Before this game both teams knew how crucially vital it was to win. If Millwall had won they would have stayed up & if we had won we would have got into the play offs. Bizarrely the score finished 0-0 with Scowie hitting the post with the only memorable chance of the game.

Other notable thing that happened due to this game was this was the last time the away fans sat next to the north stand. Moved them up to the Churchmans after the summer where they still remain
[Post edited 18 Aug 2017 11:08]

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 08:11 - Aug 18 with 5020 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 23:37 - Aug 17 by Dolly2.0

You asked for an example of trouble at Millwall which coincided with a period of our success. I gave one. I neither agree or disagree with what ever point you have attempted to make in this thread.

I could patronise you the same way you did Rommy and say that in 1978 you were a kid who so you don't have the first clue about football hooliganism in the 70's and 80's. That's not your fault, you're not old enough. But Millwall in 78 was far more than some fans running onto the pitch.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I'm sure it's already been covered, but why were we kept in so long? on 09:10 - Aug 18 with 4996 viewsPJH

Yes that was it Dolly.
So insignificant that it remains in the memory of all of us that were there 40 years later.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024