Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy Suppliers 18:43 - Sep 2 with 12598 viewsJimmyJazz

Thinking of going outside of the top 6 suppliers. Anyone any advice on whether this is a good idea? Or anyone in particular to avoid?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Energy Suppliers on 15:06 - Nov 16 with 3037 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Energy Suppliers on 19:35 - Sep 2 by Porridge123

Recently switched to bulb, pretty well set up new energy company and found them to be the cheapest in my area on USwitch. They're currently switching people for free by paying off any leaving fees as well. They also have £50 off for anyone who uses a referral code like this: bulb.co.uk/refer/simon5479

Plus they have the added bonus of being largely green energy if you're into that.

Very good at spamming message boards too, I’ve heard

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Energy Suppliers - do not touch iSupply with a barge poll on 15:08 - Nov 16 with 3035 viewsHeathlander

Incompetent fraudsters. Check out Trust pilot before you go with anyone.
Energy Suppliers on 19:56 - Nov 16 with 2986 viewsClapham_Junction

Energy Suppliers on 23:52 - Sep 3 by CaptMickMills

Octopus

They have a fairly unique offer at the moment - a time of use tariff (called Agile) where you pay different rates all through the day depending on grid demand (it will be most expensive in the late afternoon, so might be good for you if no-one's at home then): https://octopus.energy/agile/

This is common in the commercial sector but very rare for residential customers (Octopus were the first to launch it), although it may well become the norm in the next decade as the grid looks to become smarter and drive down peak time demand.

Another option is Robin Hood - a not-for-profit owned by Nottingham City Council - they also have a green tariff.
Energy Suppliers on 20:15 - Nov 16 with 2969 viewsGluedtoBlue

Personally, wouldn't use Flow who are based in Ipswich. Never used them myself but have heard several horror stories around their billing and customer service.

If you're in a position where you're not too concerned about how much you pay each month (as in even direct debits) a lot of bigger supplies will lower your rates if you agree to a variable dd I.e. they take whatever you've used each month. You should never end up with a big surprise debt/credit and you might be able to wangle a free smart meter so they don't have to send a meter reader every few months.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Energy Suppliers on 23:38 - Nov 19 with 2914 viewsRyorry

Energy Suppliers on 14:48 - Nov 16 by Ryorry

Do you know what, a similar thing happened to me in a minor way when a previous tenant moved out of the annexe & I took over the supply for 3 weeks. Didn't get to the bailiffs stage! but Ovo's system failed to note when another new tenant then moved in later, despite them being notified by the agency managing the let.

When I rang Ovo up, I was not allowed to tell them the former tenant's forwarding address - "for legal reasons" - can't remember exactly why, "data protection"??! 😂 And/or they needed to know that the bills hadn't been dealt with by anybody at this end - ie a "no response" counted as proof for the bailiffs that the bills weren't paid. Absolutely mind-bogglingly ridiculous!

All I could do was actually forward the bills to him. Supposing I'd been on holiday?!

Have to follow this up unfortunately by saying that Ovo for me are now a thorough "must swerve".

Renewed with them on Greener Energy E10; they failed to specify this when it came to their (emailed) confirmation, which wasn't automatically sent, I had to request it - but they sent me DD payment details in duplicate... They list the plan as being something else, and you have to nag them to get out of them that it's actually just an ordinary plan with a £5/month surcharge for greener energy. Nor is it E10 - it's E7 with 3 different periods of cheap rate. So 0/10 for transparency/clarity.

Then they failed to cancel my brief liability for the annexe, and wouldn't take the letting agent's word that a new tenant had moved in. This was then followed by their assuring me that I had no liability to pay for the supply to my own house - ie the new plan that I'd just signed up to and got the DD in duplicate for!! My subsequent 4 emails asking them to list the account number for the annexe, in order to distinguish it from my own, were in turn answered ambiguously, not answered at all, answered incorrectly and answered incorrectly again - each time by a different person.

Waiting with 'bated breath to see if supply gets cut off at midnight, when old plan ends! Tomorrow will be switching my own account to peoplesenergy - life's too short to waste more hours on Ovo's sheer ineptitude. I have no idea how they rate so highly for cs in the Which? survey, esp bearing in mind the experiences of others on here - but then I've also found Which? increasingly useless over the past several years.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Energy Suppliers on 00:41 - Nov 20 with 2900 viewsBroomy99

The key thing here folks is make sure you use the actual usage figures for gas and electric from the past 12 months and then compare that to the projected spend for the NEXT 12 months on your most recent bill - the monthly cost you currently pay is irrelevant as your account may have been in credit or debit at the start of your current monthly commitment period).

I help loads of people save money with Utility Warehouse, happy to guve any advice, not trying to make money for me, just trying to help people.

Here’s a referral link (they don’t advertise so you can’t them on comparison sites...)

https://www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk/N63862

Top tip: add in all the services to run your first quote then remove anything you don’t need at the quote stage, you’ll see the impact straight away. Plus don’t forget you’ll never have to buy a light bulb again (LEDs) and the cashback card you get will save you between £20-50 per month off your bill.

Any Q’s just PM me.
Energy Suppliers on 00:56 - Nov 20 with 2895 viewsBroomy99

Energy Suppliers on 13:34 - Nov 16 by Ryorry

Bringing this back up as I've just renewed with Ovo, and am leaving comparative reviews in a couple of places for future reference. Essentials for me are all-renewables, Economy 10 option, single fuel only. Yorkshire region.

Phoned Bulb - upfront recorded message said 10-15 mins average waiting time on hold. Life's too short for that, didn't hold.

Greener Energy - everyone at lunch apart from one lass whose computer was down! From a search, their night rates seem to have risen pretty dramatically from this time last year, and the very cheap rate for it was the main attraction back then. Day rate was always a bit higher, tho competitive standing charge - or a flat rate price with no standing charge also available - useful for those away a lot in summer maybe. Edit - update with prices - E10 standing charge 29.30p daily; ordinary rate 21.13p/unit; cheap rate 11.32p/unit. All including VAT. You'd have to do some pretty detailed analysis of your previous ordinary/cheap usage to see whether this would be cheaper than Ovo. I think I'd probably try out Peoples Energy before going with this GE tariff, which on the face of it seems expensive.

Peoples Energy. Crowd-funded ethical co-operative using all-renewables on a rolling monthly contract. No E10 but do have E7, and competitive prices (which drop or rise according to oil market) currently 21.0p daily standing charge; 16.78p/day unit; 8.23/night unit for 00.30-7.30am (they said both GMT and BST but I'd check on that), might mean they'd even out no E10. All prices incl VAT. However, they've only been going as a company for just over a year, and I think I'll wait another year for them to have more of a track record and feedback about them before taking the risk.

Good Energy did do E10 last year, but their prices were considerably higher than Ovo's then, and I haven't re-checked this year.

Have renewed with Ovo on a 1-year fixed rate (cheaper than 2-year fixed), E10, 'Better Energy' + 'Green Energy' add-on to make it an all-renewables deal. Cheap rates midnight-5am; 1-4pm; 8-10pm GMT (+ 1 when BST). SC - 28.77p daily; 17.01p ordinary rate; 9.70p cheap rate - all incl VAT.

Other companies I tried such as Ecotricity, Octopus or iSupplyEnergy (last year) either didn't do E10, or an all-renewables tariff, or had very poor reviews (or a combination of those things).
[Post edited 16 Nov 2018 15:25]

Just seen it was you bringing up an old thread...

Is there a particular reason you want the Econmy 10 meter? Most suppliers will now swap it out, there is a mive away from E10 as the tariffs are too complicated for the ley person to compare, as it requires a good grip of your usage across 3 time bands and then the impact of the switch to BST on the rates. All just too much.

If you have storage heaters E7 should be just as effective for the usage pattern and will open up many more suppliers for you to compare and get a better deal.

Ian
Energy Suppliers on 01:17 - Nov 20 with 2887 viewsjeera

Energy Suppliers on 00:56 - Nov 20 by Broomy99

Is there a particular reason you want the Econmy 10 meter? Most suppliers will now swap it out, there is a mive away from E10 as the tariffs are too complicated for the ley person to compare, as it requires a good grip of your usage across 3 time bands and then the impact of the switch to BST on the rates. All just too much.

If you have storage heaters E7 should be just as effective for the usage pattern and will open up many more suppliers for you to compare and get a better deal.

Ian

You may work for a supplier but not sure what experience you've had with E7.

Even with modern units it's expecting a bit much for there to be enough energy left from early in the morning to [re]heat a home all day and throughout the evening.

With E10 you're guaranteed a boost later in the day, and there's good reason people who spend a lot of time at home choose that when possible.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 1:24]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Energy Suppliers on 02:56 - Nov 20 with 2878 viewsRyorry

Energy Suppliers on 00:56 - Nov 20 by Broomy99

Ian

"Storage heaters" ?! lol. I have a biomass boiler which heats both house & annexe.

Yes, the particular reason I want E10 is that I'm retired & at home most days. Please rest assured that the 3 time periods are not too complicated for this lay person to understand, even with the enormous complexity of adding an hour for BST :)

It's not CH that's responsible for most of our energy consumption btw, but appliances such as kettles, washing machines, fan oven etc.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 3:38]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Energy Suppliers on 08:13 - Nov 20 with 2848 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Robin Hood (not for profit)/Ebico.....customer service has been good when needed.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Energy Suppliers on 08:24 - Nov 20 with 2839 viewsGlebeTractor

Switched to Bulb. If you choose to go with them, send me a PM, I can give you a sign up code, where you get £50 credit in your account and so do I!

Really good company, very modern with how they work, was paying £90pm with EDF, payments with Bulb are £75.

Much better, great customer service.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Energy Suppliers - Uswitch doginess on 09:13 - Nov 20 with 2815 viewsGeoffSentence

Beware of Uswitch - "you will save" numbers.

RIght, I have just gone through the process of changing my electricity contract having let my previous one expire and moved on to a standard variable rate.

My suspicisions about Uswitch were raised when having put my details in they gave me lots of 'cheaper' options but none of them from my current supplier.

So I checked and yes, my current suppliers fixed term options were cheaper than the standard rte.

Put the details again, this time using my one of my current supplier's fixed term options s my current contract for their comparison purposes, and it made no difference. According to Uswitch I was going to make the same big savings whether I was on the cheap or variable rate tariff.

They do have a link to show how this is calculated - so I clicked on it and it turns out what they do is assume that you will let the current tariff expire and move on to your supplier's standard tariff and then compare that with other supplier's tariffs.

Handily they do have another tab at this point to compare your current tariff with their proposed ones. Guess what, their's was more expensive.

Don't be fooled by Uswitch headline figures - they are trying to get you to switch even if it is not in your best interest.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Energy Suppliers on 09:16 - Nov 20 with 2817 viewsflimflam

First Utility.

Tried to get cheaper deals elsewhere when up for renewal but cannot get better for GAS / ELECTRIC combo

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Energy Suppliers on 10:32 - Nov 20 with 2786 viewsBroomy99

Energy Suppliers on 01:17 - Nov 20 by jeera

You may work for a supplier but not sure what experience you've had with E7.

Even with modern units it's expecting a bit much for there to be enough energy left from early in the morning to [re]heat a home all day and throughout the evening.

With E10 you're guaranteed a boost later in the day, and there's good reason people who spend a lot of time at home choose that when possible.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 1:24]

Hi jeera,

If you’ve been heating a home all day with stored heat then the stored heat runs out, you can just revert to your mains supply. Where the benefit of more compitive E7 tariffs kicks in. The unit rates offered are lower and the standing charge is less. Every situation/home is different, so all depends on the usage pattern, but generally most suppliers avoid E10 tariffs these days.

Just my experience, naturally you will have your own.
Energy Suppliers on 10:33 - Nov 20 with 2784 viewsBroomy99

Energy Suppliers on 02:56 - Nov 20 by Ryorry

"Storage heaters" ?! lol. I have a biomass boiler which heats both house & annexe.

Yes, the particular reason I want E10 is that I'm retired & at home most days. Please rest assured that the 3 time periods are not too complicated for this lay person to understand, even with the enormous complexity of adding an hour for BST :)

It's not CH that's responsible for most of our energy consumption btw, but appliances such as kettles, washing machines, fan oven etc.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2018 3:38]

Good to hear you have your head around it. Many people don’t and as such many suppliers have removed their E10 offerings which will make the options for you less attractive. Good luck getting a cheaper deal 👍
Energy Suppliers on 17:57 - Dec 5 with 2623 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

As stated before have found Robin Hood/Ebico very good. However my fixed term ends soon and Peoples Energy is substantially cheaper. Fantastic reviews too....anybody use them? From 2020 80% of profit shared between customers too.

Energy Suppliers on 18:03 - Dec 5 with 2616 viewsDubtractor

I'm with i supply.

They don't get good reviews online, I think mainly because they do everything online and sometimes can be slow to respond to queries, but for me they have been fine and much cheaper than a main supplier.

Electricity should be reasonably cheap at the moment as wholesale prices are a bit low.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Energy Suppliers on 19:24 - Dec 5 with 2598 viewsjaseitfc

I've got ecotricity - they are great and green!
Energy Suppliers on 19:49 - Dec 5 with 2581 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Energy Suppliers on 17:57 - Dec 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

As stated before have found Robin Hood/Ebico very good. However my fixed term ends soon and Peoples Energy is substantially cheaper. Fantastic reviews too....anybody use them? From 2020 80% of profit shared between customers too.

.....also 100% renewables.

Energy Suppliers on 20:19 - Dec 5 with 2578 viewsDubtractor

Energy Suppliers on 19:49 - Dec 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

.....also 100% renewables.

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to renewable energy tariffs. If you live in Suffolk your energy almost certainly comes from Sizewell, regardless of the tariff you're on.

Don't get me wrong, renewable energy is 100% the way we should go, but I'm not convinced that these sort of tariffs is how to achieve it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Energy Suppliers on 20:22 - Dec 5 with 2574 viewsjeera

Energy Suppliers on 20:19 - Dec 5 by Dubtractor

I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to renewable energy tariffs. If you live in Suffolk your energy almost certainly comes from Sizewell, regardless of the tariff you're on.

Don't get me wrong, renewable energy is 100% the way we should go, but I'm not convinced that these sort of tariffs is how to achieve it.

I know of a guy who has/had his own wind turbine in is garden.

I have no idea how efficient it is/was but wish I'd shown a bit more interest now, just for interest's sake really.

I've not seen him for ages so I don't know if he still has it.

You had any experience with this solo turbine for a home thing?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Energy Suppliers on 20:36 - Dec 5 with 2570 viewsGeoffSentence

Energy Suppliers on 19:24 - Dec 5 by jaseitfc

I've got ecotricity - they are great and green!

Careful there, you are supporting a potential rival for next season.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Energy Suppliers on 21:20 - Dec 5 with 2557 viewscobboldkid

One company not to avoid is Avro Energy. Best prices on the market for dual fuel, been with them for over 2 years no problems. Can recommend !!
Energy Suppliers on 22:28 - Dec 5 with 2540 viewsMVBlue

Energy Suppliers on 19:56 - Nov 16 by Clapham_Junction

They have a fairly unique offer at the moment - a time of use tariff (called Agile) where you pay different rates all through the day depending on grid demand (it will be most expensive in the late afternoon, so might be good for you if no-one's at home then): https://octopus.energy/agile/

This is common in the commercial sector but very rare for residential customers (Octopus were the first to launch it), although it may well become the norm in the next decade as the grid looks to become smarter and drive down peak time demand.

Another option is Robin Hood - a not-for-profit owned by Nottingham City Council - they also have a green tariff.

I was with Octopus, they were decent and had some green tariffs. But they went up, so switched to ORBIT who are very straighforward and CHEAPER than Octopus, for my single fuel Electricity supply. No green-ness but good price.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Energy Suppliers on 07:27 - Dec 6 with 2496 viewsTractorWood

Energy Suppliers on 22:28 - Dec 5 by MVBlue

I was with Octopus, they were decent and had some green tariffs. But they went up, so switched to ORBIT who are very straighforward and CHEAPER than Octopus, for my single fuel Electricity supply. No green-ness but good price.

I've had a very good experience with Octopus. Set up was ridiculously straight forward and after checking yesterday, their tariff is still cheaper than anything else out there.

https://share.octopus.energy/hill-plum-14 here's a referral link if anyone is interested. £50 off for the both of us.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024