Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hyam 16:09 - Dec 29 with 8205 viewsHerbivore

Not too far away by the sounds of it. Much as he has his limitations I actually think him alongside Skuse or Connolly in the holding roles could work. He gives us energy and whilst he's no Pirlo he keeps it simple and gets play ticking over.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hyam on 16:16 - Dec 29 with 6899 viewsRadlett_blue

If Hyam is the answer, you have asked the wrong question. Good attitude, but fairly limited player; probably do OK in League 1 or 2. Hasn't played for the first team for nearly 2 years so hard to see him rushing back & making a huge impact.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hyam on 16:21 - Dec 29 with 6887 viewsHerbivore

Hyam on 16:16 - Dec 29 by Radlett_blue

If Hyam is the answer, you have asked the wrong question. Good attitude, but fairly limited player; probably do OK in League 1 or 2. Hasn't played for the first team for nearly 2 years so hard to see him rushing back & making a huge impact.

He's done okay in the Championship before, so long as he's fit there's no reason he can't do okay in the Championship again.

Hyam on 16:23 - Dec 29 with 6883 viewsblueislander

A centre midfield of Hyam and Skuse will have an inevitable consequence. HOOOOOF.
Hyam on 16:27 - Dec 29 with 6871 viewsEastAngliasNo1

Skuse equivalent imo. If we ever start a Skuse/Hyam pairing we'll never get out of this division. Good for last 15 mins for energy and closing down when in-front, that's his niche, not a top 6 footballer by any stretch of imagination.
Hyam on 16:31 - Dec 29 with 6860 viewsHerbivore

Hyam on 16:27 - Dec 29 by EastAngliasNo1

Skuse equivalent imo. If we ever start a Skuse/Hyam pairing we'll never get out of this division. Good for last 15 mins for energy and closing down when in-front, that's his niche, not a top 6 footballer by any stretch of imagination.

Him and Skuse have very different games. Hyam is more similar to Connolly than Skuse in terms of how he plays, lots of energy and presses high up, likes a tackle, recycles possession simply but well. Connolly has more of an eye for goal it seems though. To be fair, with the system we're playing with 4 attacking players we need a solid base, if we need to use Hyam with either Skuse or Connolly it's not an issue, it's about having the right balance.

Hyam on 16:32 - Dec 29 with 6857 viewsSarge

Hyam on 16:23 - Dec 29 by blueislander

A centre midfield of Hyam and Skuse will have an inevitable consequence. HOOOOOF.

And the other inevitable consequence of a midfield of only Skuse after Hyam gets sent off for being stupid.
Hyam on 16:34 - Dec 29 with 6850 viewsHerbivore

Hyam on 16:32 - Dec 29 by Sarge

And the other inevitable consequence of a midfield of only Skuse after Hyam gets sent off for being stupid.

He's had one red card in his career.

Hyam on 16:54 - Dec 29 with 6810 viewsSteve_M

Hyam on 16:34 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

He's had one red card in his career.

Two.

Hyam would fit well in a 4-2-3-1 as part of the two but he should be far behind Skuse, Adeyemi and Connolly. Possibly Downes as well. Given the injuries - and if we keep playing Connolly every match he'll be at risk of burn out soon - then there may be a limited place for Hyam.

Worth noting that for all Hyam's limitations he played a part in the good form of Autumn 2014-15, alongside Skuse or Tabb at times.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Hyam on 17:00 - Dec 29 with 6793 viewsHerbivore

Hyam on 16:54 - Dec 29 by Steve_M

Two.

Hyam would fit well in a 4-2-3-1 as part of the two but he should be far behind Skuse, Adeyemi and Connolly. Possibly Downes as well. Given the injuries - and if we keep playing Connolly every match he'll be at risk of burn out soon - then there may be a limited place for Hyam.

Worth noting that for all Hyam's limitations he played a part in the good form of Autumn 2014-15, alongside Skuse or Tabb at times.

Two in over 130 games isn't bad. Agree that he should be behind Skuse, Connolly and Adeyemi but something's a bit off about Adeyemi I think, he's miles away from being fit by the sounds of it with what was a pulled hamstring. Hyam could still provide important cover, the system suits him in some respects and as you say when fit he's played pretty regularly during some of our decent spells. He's nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be, when fit he's shown he's a capable Championship player.

Hyam on 17:14 - Dec 29 with 6773 viewsblueislander

Hyam on 17:00 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

Two in over 130 games isn't bad. Agree that he should be behind Skuse, Connolly and Adeyemi but something's a bit off about Adeyemi I think, he's miles away from being fit by the sounds of it with what was a pulled hamstring. Hyam could still provide important cover, the system suits him in some respects and as you say when fit he's played pretty regularly during some of our decent spells. He's nowhere near as bad as some make him out to be, when fit he's shown he's a capable Championship player.

His goalscoring record eclipses Skuse as well.
Hyam on 17:20 - Dec 29 with 6765 viewsVic

Skuse and Hyman didn't seem to work when they played together 2-3 yrs ago. They got awful stick in here at the time.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Hyam on 19:39 - Dec 29 with 6660 viewsSwn98

Hyam on 17:20 - Dec 29 by Vic

Skuse and Hyman didn't seem to work when they played together 2-3 yrs ago. They got awful stick in here at the time.

Because they got stick on TWTD does that mean they are no good?
Hyam on 19:48 - Dec 29 with 6645 viewsbrogansnose

Hyam on 19:39 - Dec 29 by Swn98

Because they got stick on TWTD does that mean they are no good?

The trouble is that they atr both disrupters and intercepters. You don't need two at the same time and Skuse is far better at this. From what we've seen of Downes, he looks far better than Hyam who, as pointed out above , hasn't played for two years and has lost that amount of development. I like the lad but I'm not sure he has a future here.
Hyam on 19:50 - Dec 29 with 6644 viewsclive_baker

Very average footballer. Bites a few ankles but limited technically. Lacks any real creativity or attacking spark, doesn’t protect the back 4 particularly well in that capacity either. Not good enough for any side with top half championship ambitions.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Hyam on 20:49 - Dec 29 with 6598 viewsWD19

Good news for Colchester.
Hyam on 20:58 - Dec 29 with 6587 viewsPJH

If Hyam is close to fitness and then stays fit it is good news in as much as he is an extra body in an area where we are currently decimated.
I see him as a useful squad member but not as a regular starter.
If a game is turned into a battle then he is ideal if he can resist the temptation to dive in.
He would have been more use in the 1970's when tackling was something which was allowed and the harder the tackle the more praise you got.
I think my view on him is about midway in the stated opinions, I think he his better than some people suggest but not as good as some others suggest.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2017 21:20]
Hyam on 23:58 - Dec 29 with 6459 viewsHerbivore

Hyam on 19:50 - Dec 29 by clive_baker

Very average footballer. Bites a few ankles but limited technically. Lacks any real creativity or attacking spark, doesn’t protect the back 4 particularly well in that capacity either. Not good enough for any side with top half championship ambitions.

He played a lot of football for us from 2013 to 2016 during which we were a top half Championship side.

Hyam on 09:56 - Dec 30 with 6327 viewstextbackup

Hyam on 16:31 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

Him and Skuse have very different games. Hyam is more similar to Connolly than Skuse in terms of how he plays, lots of energy and presses high up, likes a tackle, recycles possession simply but well. Connolly has more of an eye for goal it seems though. To be fair, with the system we're playing with 4 attacking players we need a solid base, if we need to use Hyam with either Skuse or Connolly it's not an issue, it's about having the right balance.

If I were connelly id be hunting you down for saying my name and likening my game to hyams

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Hyam on 10:03 - Dec 30 with 6314 viewsCurrie10

Have to confess to never being a huge fan of Hyam, even when ' on form and fit ' he was far from fantastic in my limited football brain opinion.

That said, with the injuries etc - he's 26 now and should have developed nicely mentally, perhaps the time out he will have learned a lot about football by watching he could come back a slightly different player - and you never know.

I was absolutely gobsmacked he was offered a two year deal, not one given the injury issues he was already having back then!

Time will tell - if he can get fit / stay fit then he's certainly given our injury mess a good option to have in the 18.
Hyam on 10:14 - Dec 30 with 6292 viewsHerbivore

Hyam on 09:56 - Dec 30 by textbackup

If I were connelly id be hunting you down for saying my name and likening my game to hyams

Connolly has more potential and a bit more quality but it's a fair comparison in terms of how they play.

Hyam on 10:59 - Dec 30 with 6260 viewsJimmy86

I would be surprised if Hyam plays for us again. He adds bite and tenacity to the midfield, but that is all. He is certainly not the forward thinking, box to box midfielder that Mick seemed to try and turn him into.

He's also lived off the "1 of our own" tag, because if he wasn't a former Northgate high school pupil, he would just be a bang average footballer, lucky to be playing the game at Championship level. League 1 player at best
Hyam on 11:03 - Dec 30 with 6250 viewsstrikalite

Hyam on 10:59 - Dec 30 by Jimmy86

I would be surprised if Hyam plays for us again. He adds bite and tenacity to the midfield, but that is all. He is certainly not the forward thinking, box to box midfielder that Mick seemed to try and turn him into.

He's also lived off the "1 of our own" tag, because if he wasn't a former Northgate high school pupil, he would just be a bang average footballer, lucky to be playing the game at Championship level. League 1 player at best

Agree totally, I don't forget all his poor touches and misplaced under no pressure passes...he has a good engine as they say but for this level isn't good enough.
Hyam on 11:13 - Dec 30 with 6239 viewsbrogansnose

Hyam on 10:59 - Dec 30 by Jimmy86

TBF to the lad, when he first broke in to the team it was under Jewell , who was reluctant to play him. What he gave then was that he was a player who actually cared and fought his heart out. The 'one of our own' tag stemmed from that and the fact that he was in a side with so many loanees. Mick recognised that in him, and in Tommy too, but now there are , injuries notwithstanding, other and better options.
Hyam on 11:22 - Dec 30 with 6237 viewsHerbivore

I find it odd when people say things like 'he's not a Championship player, League 1 at best' when he's already played over 130 games at this level perfectly competently, most of them whilst we've been competing in the top half of the league.

Hyam on 11:28 - Dec 30 with 6221 viewsbrogansnose

Hyam on 11:22 - Dec 30 by Herbivore

I find it odd when people say things like 'he's not a Championship player, League 1 at best' when he's already played over 130 games at this level perfectly competently, most of them whilst we've been competing in the top half of the league.

Putting the injuries to one side, is he likely to get in the team ahead of Adeyemi, Huws, Skuse or Ward and thats before you get to the upcoming young guns. If Skuse was injured I could possibly see him in there but aprt from that, where does he fit in ? I think for his own career, and the time off that he's had, he would be better off elsewhere.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024