Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson 07:53 - Jan 6 with 5407 viewsKeaneish

I clearly remember Lee Johnson getting pelters at the start of the season on here for not being a good manager and being on borrowed time, the first to be sacked blah blah. Yet, there he is, in the play-offs and league cup semi, a manager plucked from lower leagues who’s turned the clubs fortunes around spending less than the club have made on transfer sales in the last two years.

Dean Smith is another example of a manager plucked from lower leagues spending less than the club have made on transfer sales getting the club playing attractive football in the two years he’s been there.

Come May, lower league managerial recruitment has to be Evans next strategy, surely? There will always be a list of managers who haven’t made the step up but what strategy does Evans have left other than to go abroad? He’s tried everything else and we’re still no nearer to the PL than we were when he took over.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 07:55 - Jan 6 with 4231 viewstractorboy1978

Both have been allowed to spend a decent chunk of the money that has come in. Not I disagree with what you are saying.
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 08:12 - Jan 6 with 4194 viewsdavblue

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 07:55 - Jan 6 by tractorboy1978

Both have been allowed to spend a decent chunk of the money that has come in. Not I disagree with what you are saying.

yeah they have bought money in but have spent a decent amount. Johnson has spent 5 million on a striker if i recall correctly.

Show's that with backing and selling at the right time things can be done in this league.
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:04 - Jan 6 with 4125 viewsHerbivore

When Mick sold Mings for £8.5m he wasn't backed to go out and spend £5m of it on one player. Brizzle have run at massive losses in recent years to back Johnson and let's see where they end up come May before lauding them. They've lost a couple since the win over United and they've shown in recent years that they're capable of going on horrific runs of form. That said I agree with your broad point about taking a different strategy with the next manager, I don't want another 'name' who has a past promotion to the Prem on his CV, I want us to find another Burley.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:07 - Jan 6 with 4117 viewsMaySixth

Very good pint and I agree with you on the strategy.

Problem is Evans is clueless like 99% of football owners.

He took the advice of Redknapp on Paul Jewell and blindly appointed Keane due to his name and the attention it would give the Marcus Evans brand.

When Mick leaves in the summer I would like us to approach Nathan Jones at Luton and start afresh.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:09 - Jan 6 with 4117 viewsSteve_M

Last season Bristol City spent more than we did and were even worse than us. I think criticism of Johnson for that is fair, but they've been very good for most of this season.

I can't recall anyone criticising Dean Smith in the same way.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:41 - Jan 6 with 4070 viewsKeaneish

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:04 - Jan 6 by Herbivore

When Mick sold Mings for £8.5m he wasn't backed to go out and spend £5m of it on one player. Brizzle have run at massive losses in recent years to back Johnson and let's see where they end up come May before lauding them. They've lost a couple since the win over United and they've shown in recent years that they're capable of going on horrific runs of form. That said I agree with your broad point about taking a different strategy with the next manager, I don't want another 'name' who has a past promotion to the Prem on his CV, I want us to find another Burley.

As an aside, Gary Rowett’s another manager who stands out having come from lower leagues and forging a good and growing reputation.

City have run at losses but they’ve also sold well in that time to curb those losses. They’ve built / renovated a whole new stand so this will naturally have a huge skew on the operating figures over the last few years but agreed, Johnson has had well over 50% of the transfer fees received given back to him. Mick a much smaller fraction.

on 09:46 - Jan 6 with 4056 views_

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:49 - Jan 6 with 4054 viewsHerbivore

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:41 - Jan 6 by Keaneish

As an aside, Gary Rowett’s another manager who stands out having come from lower leagues and forging a good and growing reputation.

City have run at losses but they’ve also sold well in that time to curb those losses. They’ve built / renovated a whole new stand so this will naturally have a huge skew on the operating figures over the last few years but agreed, Johnson has had well over 50% of the transfer fees received given back to him. Mick a much smaller fraction.

When you look at how much we've spent compared with how much we've recouped under Mick it's actually a bit ridiculous. Cresswell has ended up being around £6m I believe with all the add ons we've received, £8.5m for Mings, £3.5m for Murphy. That's £18m on three player and Mick's total spending on fees in 5 years must be under £4m I reckon. Really hard to compete with that kind of budget and you do have to wonder whether ME will loosen the purse strings slightly for any new man.

Login to get fewer ads

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:59 - Jan 6 with 4038 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:07 - Jan 6 by MaySixth

Very good pint and I agree with you on the strategy.

Problem is Evans is clueless like 99% of football owners.

He took the advice of Redknapp on Paul Jewell and blindly appointed Keane due to his name and the attention it would give the Marcus Evans brand.

When Mick leaves in the summer I would like us to approach Nathan Jones at Luton and start afresh.

I would love Nathan Jones here but he signed a new 4 year contract yesterday. Can't see Evans paying any release fee for a manager
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 10:15 - Jan 6 with 4001 viewsGuthrum

Johnson, like Monk at Swansea and Howe at Bournemouth, has the advantage of already being deeply embedded in the club as a player before taking over the managerial reins.

Perhaps, as an alternative to combing the lower divisions, we could reinvestigate the Magilton route (which, while ultimately unsuccessful, was considerably less of a disaster than some recent appointments). Somebody like Cole Skuse, who comes across as an intelligent bloke and has been here nearly five years. From Evans' point of view would likely be relatively inexpensive, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 10:53 - Jan 6 with 3966 viewsBent_double

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:59 - Jan 6 by LeighOnSeaBlue

I would love Nathan Jones here but he signed a new 4 year contract yesterday. Can't see Evans paying any release fee for a manager

Heard that about his new contract on Look Eeast the other day and my heart sank a bit, absolutely zero chance of him coming here now. Still, there must be other options like him around.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:02 - Jan 6 with 3960 viewssolemio

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 09:59 - Jan 6 by LeighOnSeaBlue

I like the fact that Welshman Nathan Jones is bilingual, but that his two languages are English and Spanish.

Bully/Sparks wouldn't have wanted him here as he is a Christian!
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:22 - Jan 6 with 3940 viewsbournemouthblue

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 10:53 - Jan 6 by Bent_double

Heard that about his new contract on Look Eeast the other day and my heart sank a bit, absolutely zero chance of him coming here now. Still, there must be other options like him around.

can't we just raid his players instead

They must have some talent in that squad?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:32 - Jan 6 with 3932 viewsTrequartista

You know the rules. If you have money to spend you are rubbish unless you win the league despite about half the division having money to spend. If you have a tight budget you are working miracles to stay up despite half the division having a tight budget

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:35 - Jan 6 with 3916 viewsMullet

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:32 - Jan 6 by Trequartista

You know the rules. If you have money to spend you are rubbish unless you win the league despite about half the division having money to spend. If you have a tight budget you are working miracles to stay up despite half the division having a tight budget

Interestingly he must be worse than Mick as Brizzle fans wanted him out and had a load of bedsheets up on roundabouts and all sorts before this season.

Yet to see him being championed after a decent half a season is very telling. Did he underachieve last season and should be given time and understanding? Or should the fact he's improved from it still be grounds to consider him sh1t and it all incidental to anything he's done?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:37 - Jan 6 with 3904 viewsDennyx4

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 10:15 - Jan 6 by Guthrum

Johnson, like Monk at Swansea and Howe at Bournemouth, has the advantage of already being deeply embedded in the club as a player before taking over the managerial reins.

Perhaps, as an alternative to combing the lower divisions, we could reinvestigate the Magilton route (which, while ultimately unsuccessful, was considerably less of a disaster than some recent appointments). Somebody like Cole Skuse, who comes across as an intelligent bloke and has been here nearly five years. From Evans' point of view would likely be relatively inexpensive, too.

Personally if you are going down that route, think it would have to be Chambers.

Skuse doesn't come across vocal enough - Magilton and Mowbray as examples would talk other players through a game, haven't seen that part of the game in Skuse.
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:37 - Jan 6 with 3900 viewsKeaneish

on 09:46 - Jan 6 by _

I admire you for sticking to your guns, you had the same view in the Summer. This season would suggest he’s starting to get things right though.

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:40 - Jan 6 with 3891 viewsDennyx4

Think the key part of this, is to spend a bigger percentage of any fees received.

The most annoying part for us the fans, is we sell a player (Murphy for example) and then told the money has been used on wages/running costs - all this does is make the team weaker.

Even if we were realistic and said 50% of any sales could go on fees to purchase replacements, that would be a start.
Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:45 - Jan 6 with 3883 viewsTrequartista

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:35 - Jan 6 by Mullet

Interestingly he must be worse than Mick as Brizzle fans wanted him out and had a load of bedsheets up on roundabouts and all sorts before this season.

Yet to see him being championed after a decent half a season is very telling. Did he underachieve last season and should be given time and understanding? Or should the fact he's improved from it still be grounds to consider him sh1t and it all incidental to anything he's done?

There is a tendency amongst fans to label managers brilliant or rubbish based on one season or less when there are so many other factors out of their control. I was making a general point rather than giving an opinion on Johnson.

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:50 - Jan 6 with 3867 viewsGavTWTD

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:37 - Jan 6 by Dennyx4

Personally if you are going down that route, think it would have to be Chambers.

Skuse doesn't come across vocal enough - Magilton and Mowbray as examples would talk other players through a game, haven't seen that part of the game in Skuse.

Interesting ideas, but would need another football man behind them with experience. Obvious candidates in Burley or Mills.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:51 - Jan 6 with 3863 viewsMullet

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:45 - Jan 6 by Trequartista

There is a tendency amongst fans to label managers brilliant or rubbish based on one season or less when there are so many other factors out of their control. I was making a general point rather than giving an opinion on Johnson.

Really? Seemed like you were replying to a post about Johnson using criteria to judge him on there.

Although as pointed out to the OP, it's pretty much a nonsense to talk about both managers in that way and didn't really happen at all. Brizzle were terrible last season for starters.

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:54 - Jan 6 with 3851 viewsHerbivore

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:45 - Jan 6 by Trequartista

Which is precisely what many of our fans, yourself included, have done with Mick after one bad season last season where we lost our best player late in the August transfer window and subsequently had some bad luck with injuries to boot. The truth is the likes of yourself, Keanish and others would have been shouting from the rooftops that Johnson is useless and should be sacked had you been Brizzle fans last season.

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:55 - Jan 6 with 3844 viewsGuthrum

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:50 - Jan 6 by GavTWTD

Interesting ideas, but would need another football man behind them with experience. Obvious candidates in Burley or Mills.

Bring one of them in as a Director of Football and that would work.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 12:00 - Jan 6 with 3819 viewsTrequartista

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 11:51 - Jan 6 by Mullet

Really? Seemed like you were replying to a post about Johnson using criteria to judge him on there.

Although as pointed out to the OP, it's pretty much a nonsense to talk about both managers in that way and didn't really happen at all. Brizzle were terrible last season for starters.

Yes really, nowhere have i said or even inferred Johnson is a great manager or bad manager. He did badly this season, he is doing well this season. I made a separate point in reaction to a increasing amount of replies belittling what he has done this season.

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 12:02 - Jan 6 with 3814 viewsMullet

Dean Smith and Lee Johnson on 12:00 - Jan 6 by Trequartista

Yes really, nowhere have i said or even inferred Johnson is a great manager or bad manager. He did badly this season, he is doing well this season. I made a separate point in reaction to a increasing amount of replies belittling what he has done this season.

Who's belittled him this season on this thread?

It's pretty clear that suggesting his signings have come off and at the right time is hardly belittling him is it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024