Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? 12:19 - Jan 7 with 26406 viewsArcher4721

He's busy deleting thousands of his homophobic and misogyny laden tweets as we speak. Still we shouldn't be surprised that such a massive tit as this bloke is obsesessed with womans' breats. He's a perfect fit for a job in this Tory Government right now alongside his best pal Boris.Shows how far to the right they're now heading.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 19:59 - Jan 7 with 3432 viewsmonytowbray

on 19:56 - Jan 7 by _

Just found it funny, that's his second attention seeking post today.

PAY ATTENTION TO ME CALLIS! PLEASE!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:06 - Jan 7 with 3416 viewsmonytowbray

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 17:20 - Jan 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Well said Libby. I agree 100%

Unless they’ve killed a child or something like that bloke who died a few months back - Ian Brady.

It’s all subjective. Personally I’d never celebrate Delia’s death but we love singing about that as a club.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:29 - Jan 7 with 3388 viewsRyorry

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 17:46 - Jan 7 by Lord_Lucan

Aren't they from years ago?**

** I don't know, I really haven't read upon it.

I think as a nation we are all a bit limp to be honest, people get a hard on (or a bit moist) when they find something to be offended by - and don't get me on to the hypocrisy of people only shouting down those that they don't like - or who are from a different political or social divide.

Fools, the lot of them.

From the Guardian article I linked earlier:-

"On eugenics and selective breeding for high IQ
In a 2015 essay for the Australian publication The Quadrant, entitled The fall of the meritocracy, under a section headed “Progressive eugenics”, Young proposed that poorer people should be helped to choose which embryos were allowed to develop, based on intelligence.

My proposal is this: once this technology [genetically engineered intelligence] becomes available, why not offer it free of charge to parents on low incomes with below-average IQs? Provided there is sufficient take-up, it could help to address the problem of flat-lining inter-generational social mobility and serve as a counterweight to the tendency for the meritocratic elite to become a hereditary elite. It might make all the difference when it comes to the long-term sustainability of advanced meritocratic societies.

In November 2017, Young claimed he had been “no platformed” and “censored” by Teach First, which removed a blogpost of his from their site in which he expressed similar ideas.

On teachers having an easy job
Interviewed on camera in 2013, Young said:

Teachers complain a lot about how tough their job is. But, you know, the day begins in most schools at nine o’clock, ends at 3.30pm. They have six weeks’ holiday during the summer, two weeks’ holiday at Easter and at Christmas. Yes, they don’t just work when they’re at school, but even so, compared to a lot of other jobs, it’s not that tough.

Teacher Toolkit
@TeacherToolkit
Everytime #TobyYoung trends, my Fairy Godmother says to me "you must tweet that video."

So, here you go folks.

11:35 AM - Jan 1, 2018
635 635 Replies 6,575 6,575 Retweets 5,072 5,072 likes

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:45 - Jan 7 with 3366 viewsLord_Lucan

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:29 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

From the Guardian article I linked earlier:-

"On eugenics and selective breeding for high IQ
In a 2015 essay for the Australian publication The Quadrant, entitled The fall of the meritocracy, under a section headed “Progressive eugenics”, Young proposed that poorer people should be helped to choose which embryos were allowed to develop, based on intelligence.

My proposal is this: once this technology [genetically engineered intelligence] becomes available, why not offer it free of charge to parents on low incomes with below-average IQs? Provided there is sufficient take-up, it could help to address the problem of flat-lining inter-generational social mobility and serve as a counterweight to the tendency for the meritocratic elite to become a hereditary elite. It might make all the difference when it comes to the long-term sustainability of advanced meritocratic societies.

In November 2017, Young claimed he had been “no platformed” and “censored” by Teach First, which removed a blogpost of his from their site in which he expressed similar ideas.

On teachers having an easy job
Interviewed on camera in 2013, Young said:

Teachers complain a lot about how tough their job is. But, you know, the day begins in most schools at nine o’clock, ends at 3.30pm. They have six weeks’ holiday during the summer, two weeks’ holiday at Easter and at Christmas. Yes, they don’t just work when they’re at school, but even so, compared to a lot of other jobs, it’s not that tough.

Teacher Toolkit
@TeacherToolkit
Everytime #TobyYoung trends, my Fairy Godmother says to me "you must tweet that video."

So, here you go folks.

11:35 AM - Jan 1, 2018
635 635 Replies 6,575 6,575 Retweets 5,072 5,072 likes

I thought you had me on ignore?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:49 - Jan 7 with 3355 viewsRyorry

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:45 - Jan 7 by Lord_Lucan

I thought you had me on ignore?

Took you off Friday eve (*edited from "yesterday") when you replied (on p3) to my "Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this?" thread.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 20:53]

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 21:04 - Jan 7 with 3337 viewsLord_Lucan

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 20:49 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

Took you off Friday eve (*edited from "yesterday") when you replied (on p3) to my "Where are any new fans going to come from if Evans carries on like this?" thread.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 20:53]

I replied to someone else on the thread.

Let's not converse eh.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 21:55 - Jan 7 with 3299 viewsStokieBlue

on 17:50 - Jan 7 by _

This is the interesting thing isn't it.

Previously the things would have been said face to face on or on the phone with no record. Social media means things are said immediately to a wide audience and then kept forever and then used 10 years down the line.

The criticism of him is deserved, the posts are odious and show a truly bad character so he should answer for them. It does also however run counter to the fact that people can change as old things are easily sourced.

It also opens up a wider debate though and I think that better education on social media and the lifelong impact should be done in school (if it's not - I don't know about secondary school).

In this case though, as I said, he's fair game.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

on 22:09 - Jan 7 with 3284 views_

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 21:55 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

Previously the things would have been said face to face on or on the phone with no record. Social media means things are said immediately to a wide audience and then kept forever and then used 10 years down the line.

The criticism of him is deserved, the posts are odious and show a truly bad character so he should answer for them. It does also however run counter to the fact that people can change as old things are easily sourced.

It also opens up a wider debate though and I think that better education on social media and the lifelong impact should be done in school (if it's not - I don't know about secondary school).

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 22:32 - Jan 7 with 3264 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 21:55 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

SB

I completely agree that he is fair game. I also completely agree that what he posted was odious. But some people seem to think he is an MP. On another thread somebody posted that he was a member of the government. He is neither. He's not a politician. He is being appointed to the board of a quango. Nothing he has posted disqualifies him from this position, unless it is proven that he commented on a 14 year old girl's breasts. If he did that then he can't take the job imo.

Although as Lucan has pointed out I'm pretty much banging my head against the wall with this one.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

on 22:35 - Jan 7 with 3266 views_

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 22:32 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

I completely agree that he is fair game. I also completely agree that what he posted was odious. But some people seem to think he is an MP. On another thread somebody posted that he was a member of the government. He is neither. He's not a politician. He is being appointed to the board of a quango. Nothing he has posted disqualifies him from this position, unless it is proven that he commented on a 14 year old girl's breasts. If he did that then he can't take the job imo.

Although as Lucan has pointed out I'm pretty much banging my head against the wall with this one.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 22:41 - Jan 7 with 3252 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 22:35 - Jan 7 by _

Bergholt thought he was a member of the government.

Nobody who has worked for The Sun should be in government!!!? by BergholtBru 5 Jan 2018 13:18
https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-sack-toby-young-from-university-watchdog-post

The outrage is disproportionate to the role he has been appointed to.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 22:42]

Iron Lion Zion

on 22:42 - Jan 7 with 3254 views_

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 22:41 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

Nobody who has worked for The Sun should be in government!!!? by BergholtBru 5 Jan 2018 13:18
https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-sack-toby-young-from-university-watchdog-post

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:04 - Jan 7 with 3232 viewsBackToRussia

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 22:41 - Jan 7 by GlasgowBlue

A quango is a body appointed by the govt essentially though? It's government at one remove. The weakest thing about this is it's just idle prattle from a decade ago rather than anything else but that seems fair game in political circles, you can drag up anything from years ago.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

on 23:06 - Jan 7 with 3232 views_

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:32 - Jan 7 with 3212 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 13:12 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

Not to mention the homophobia, "progressive eugenics" and sneering at "working-class" students who he referred to as "stains" -

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/03/toby-young-quotes-on-breasts-eugen

Yep. GB says there's nothing here that disqualifies him from the role. That may be the case, but this incident shows that we've still got a long way to go to break down those views about women being sex objects and little else.

It's not something that should be tolerated in a person in a position of responsibility or influence imo. Not if we're going to crawl out of the stone age.

Edit - same applies to homophobia too, obviously. Let's just say those of us in Unis aren't particularly impressed with this. But we're getting used to it with this government from Gove's attempt to discredit learning and experience to cock-eyed immigration policies that starve us of income.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2018 23:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:51 - Jan 7 with 3186 viewsLord_Lucan

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:04 - Jan 7 by BackToRussia

A quango is a body appointed by the govt essentially though? It's government at one remove. The weakest thing about this is it's just idle prattle from a decade ago rather than anything else but that seems fair game in political circles, you can drag up anything from years ago.

Can you imagine if everyone on here had their TWTD history analysed before they got a job.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:52 - Jan 7 with 3186 viewsRyorry

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 21:04 - Jan 7 by Lord_Lucan

I replied to someone else on the thread.

Let's not converse eh.

You replied to PhilTWTD who had joined the convo which was on *football*. You consider it unreasonable for me to comment on the same point?

As for my reply here, you said you weren't up to speed with Young's comments. I simply and factually quoted some of his recent offerings.

Feel free to put me on ignore. (As I've said numerous times before, I wish you would).

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 00:01 - Jan 8 with 3173 viewsBackToRussia

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:51 - Jan 7 by Lord_Lucan

Can you imagine if everyone on here had their TWTD history analysed before they got a job.

Well exactly. Seems to be the way to assassinate people politically lately. Social media is obviously the perfect platform given its essentially a library of all the hideous things you've ever said.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 00:11 - Jan 8 with 3171 viewsbaxterbasics

Lefties *HATE* him, therefore he is qualified.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 00:12 - Jan 8 with 3171 viewsLord_Lucan

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:52 - Jan 7 by Ryorry

You replied to PhilTWTD who had joined the convo which was on *football*. You consider it unreasonable for me to comment on the same point?

As for my reply here, you said you weren't up to speed with Young's comments. I simply and factually quoted some of his recent offerings.

Feel free to put me on ignore. (As I've said numerous times before, I wish you would).

I replied to a poster on a thread that you made. I didn't reply directly to you and have no interest in replying or conversing with you.

I haven't got anyone on ignore, I don't need to and I don't appreciate being told what to do . Whether I have you on ignore or not is of no concern to you as I never reply to any of your posts. Perhaps you would do me the same courtesy.

Good evening.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 01:36 - Jan 8 with 3139 viewsRyorry

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 00:12 - Jan 8 by Lord_Lucan

I replied to a poster on a thread that you made. I didn't reply directly to you and have no interest in replying or conversing with you.

I haven't got anyone on ignore, I don't need to and I don't appreciate being told what to do . Whether I have you on ignore or not is of no concern to you as I never reply to any of your posts. Perhaps you would do me the same courtesy.

Good evening.

"I don't appreciate being told what to do . "

I didn't tell you what to do. And I don't appreciate being told who I can or can't reply to on my own thread, esp when Phil was involved in the conversation.

"I never reply to any of your posts".

Yet you replied to my simply giving you factual info at the top of this page, with "I thought you had me on ignore?" - a question from yourself which you obviously knew would guarantee a reply from me. You could have just not replied to that factual post by me.

Anyway, I'm certainly not interested in an argument & will leave you to it now
[Post edited 8 Jan 2018 3:12]

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 02:42 - Jan 8 with 3105 viewsRyorry

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 23:04 - Jan 7 by BackToRussia

I've twice pointed out that it's not just from a decade ago, but also from 2 months ago, + 2015.

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 02:44 - Jan 8 with 3103 viewstcblue

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 00:01 - Jan 8 by BackToRussia

Well exactly. Seems to be the way to assassinate people politically lately. Social media is obviously the perfect platform given its essentially a library of all the hideous things you've ever said.

In this specific case, if not for Twitter's useful searchable library of hate, there would still be PLENTY of reference material to go back to which would show vile character.

I dunno, it seems pretty easily got around to me - just don't be a vile person, or if that's a stretch, don't be one in print or other media. The examples in Ronson's book are NOT relevant here as they were normal members of the public with one-time bad judgement calls hounded by the worst sort of dogpile.

By the way, Glassers, whatever happened to Cameron's 'bonfire of quangos'? Is that no longer Tory HQ policy?
Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 08:06 - Jan 8 with 3037 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 02:44 - Jan 8 by tcblue

In this specific case, if not for Twitter's useful searchable library of hate, there would still be PLENTY of reference material to go back to which would show vile character.

I dunno, it seems pretty easily got around to me - just don't be a vile person, or if that's a stretch, don't be one in print or other media. The examples in Ronson's book are NOT relevant here as they were normal members of the public with one-time bad judgement calls hounded by the worst sort of dogpile.

By the way, Glassers, whatever happened to Cameron's 'bonfire of quangos'? Is that no longer Tory HQ policy?

You’ll have to ask a member of the Tory party.

Iron Lion Zion

Nobody mentioned Toby Young yet? on 08:08 - Jan 8 with 3033 viewschicoazul

He's spot on about Helen Mirren to be fair.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024