Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio 13:30 - Jan 9 with 28719 viewsLord_Lucan

I despair

I thought it was the best man wins

Is it just me who thinks positive discrimination is racist to both black and white

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:08 - Jan 10 with 1933 viewsDarth_Koont

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 19:57 - Jan 10 by Lord_Lucan

I think we've done this to death - and it's my year end and I'm trying to get the books in order before I send them to the launderette.

The stupid thing is we agree with the same thing (to an extent) but in different ways.

Shall we call it a day? I'm going to try and finish up and then go for a pint.

No worries. Enjoy your pint.

But FFS read up about some of this at some stage.

Pronouns: He/Him

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:18 - Jan 10 with 1927 viewsLord_Lucan

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:05 - Jan 10 by RoyKeanesDog

They'll probably work out your ethnicity from what ethnicity you select when applying for the job.

FFS don't you start

"If unintentional racism exists (and I can accept that it does) why can't every initial application be stamped with a number with name withheld until the final face to face stages? You might end up with 100% Mbodos that way if they were the best applications"

No select ticky box, comprende'?

And don't downvote me or I'll put your rent up.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:21 - Jan 10 with 1906 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 19:17 - Jan 10 by Darth_Koont

The thread has moved wherever you've been trying to take it.

What's the problem? And why do you care so much about your own entirely personal view?

I bet you've also got opinions on #metoo and where women are getting it wrong. You just seem to default to your own experience, never mind other people more involved and knowledgeable who have worked on this.

And that's certainly not me. I've just read about it and listened.

For crying out loud.

I knew you were a bot. (Possibly the yin bot to counter the Glassers yang bot !)

By the way, I once knew a marine engineer who didn't know how to operate s dry dock.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:37 - Jan 10 with 1905 viewsLeaky

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 13:39 - Jan 9 by factual_blue

If positive discrimination meant appointing people solely on the colour of their skin, it's wrong. If positive discrimination means ensuring candidates from any background are given the opportunity to be interviewed, then no. Always appoint the best person. I've seen unconscious - and fairly blatant - discrimination at play in pre-interview selection in the past. Wipe that out (eg withhold names from sifting panels). Then ask every candidate exactly the same questions, ideally competence-based.

Seems like common sense approach. If every applicant is treated anonymously until they actually turn up for the interview, then they should be judged on ability. I cannot accept people being given jobs just to fill a quota.
New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:51 - Jan 10 with 1896 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 13:49 - Jan 9 by Lord_Lucan

It's obviously for the interview process - and one would think that the best man wins, and I have no doubt that would be the case.

I just personally feel that positive discrimination is not a way to prevent racism. If a person, panel or organisation is racist then the candidate won't get the job anyway.

I feel the same way for organisations such as the black lawyers association and the gay ITFC supporters club. For me it is a backward step and continues to separate.

If there was a white xxxxxxxxx association or straight ITFC supporters club I would want nothing to do with them.

The reality will be that once this is established it will move on to the next phase where questions will be asked if BAME candidates aren’t winning the interviews. With direct assertions of racism towards all panel members involved.... in high profile public positions this will likely end up in the public domain. The result will be its safest to always recruit the BAME candidate
New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 21:13 - Jan 10 with 1879 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd assumed they positively discriminated in favour of the uncharismatic applicant last time

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 21:14 - Jan 10 with 1879 viewsDarth_Koont

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:21 - Jan 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

I knew you were a bot. (Possibly the yin bot to counter the Glassers yang bot !)

By the way, I once knew a marine engineer who didn't know how to operate s dry dock.

Thanks for that.

Whatever the f@ck it was.

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 21:21 - Jan 10 with 1874 viewsDarth_Koont

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:51 - Jan 10 by FrowsyArmLarry

The reality will be that once this is established it will move on to the next phase where questions will be asked if BAME candidates aren’t winning the interviews. With direct assertions of racism towards all panel members involved.... in high profile public positions this will likely end up in the public domain. The result will be its safest to always recruit the BAME candidate

There aren't any reasons why BAME candidates shouldn't be far better represented throughout the pyramid. If you disagree then by all means let's hear why.

If this seriously threatens your sense of fair play even after generations of the odds being stacked against minority candidates, then you must be very insecure.

Login to get fewer ads

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 23:29 - Jan 10 with 1819 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 21:14 - Jan 10 by Darth_Koont

Thanks for that.

Whatever the f@ck it was.

Sorry if it did not compute. Clearly a response to this....

"Personal and subjective views don't really come into it. They're just not as valid."

and this

"What's the problem? And why do you care so much about your own entirely personal view? "

You have a stunning (bot-like) self assuredness in your own rationality/faith in experts. Once upon a time the scientists of their day explained the backwardness of savages by the angle of their foreheads and in the letters page of Ye Olde Twtd Daily a distant relative of yours proclaimed their correctness. (After all they were scientists)
I guess I'm just more of a phenomenologist !

For what it matters as far as this thread goes interview applications should be blind as far as names/ethnicity go but it wouldn't work for England manager for the reasons you have stated.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2018 23:30]

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 23:58 - Jan 10 with 1820 viewsDarth_Koont

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 23:29 - Jan 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Sorry if it did not compute. Clearly a response to this....

"Personal and subjective views don't really come into it. They're just not as valid."

and this

"What's the problem? And why do you care so much about your own entirely personal view? "

You have a stunning (bot-like) self assuredness in your own rationality/faith in experts. Once upon a time the scientists of their day explained the backwardness of savages by the angle of their foreheads and in the letters page of Ye Olde Twtd Daily a distant relative of yours proclaimed their correctness. (After all they were scientists)
I guess I'm just more of a phenomenologist !

For what it matters as far as this thread goes interview applications should be blind as far as names/ethnicity go but it wouldn't work for England manager for the reasons you have stated.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2018 23:30]

Ignore.

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 00:27 - Jan 11 with 1781 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 23:58 - Jan 10 by Darth_Koont

Ignore.

But you didn't did you !
You couldn't......

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 00:31 - Jan 11 with 1778 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 20:08 - Jan 10 by Darth_Koont

No worries. Enjoy your pint.

But FFS read up about some of this at some stage.

As per above......last word ,again !

Resist the urge !

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 01:03 - Jan 11 with 1765 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

New England manager candidates in future to be subject to positive discriminatio on 21:21 - Jan 10 by Darth_Koont

There aren't any reasons why BAME candidates shouldn't be far better represented throughout the pyramid. If you disagree then by all means let's hear why.

If this seriously threatens your sense of fair play even after generations of the odds being stacked against minority candidates, then you must be very insecure.

If there aren’t any reasons why BAME candidates aren’t better represented then there isn’t a need for positive discrimination is there?

Also I don’t by buy that line about generations of discrimination. Nobody alive has been discriminated against for more than one generation
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024