Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best ever ITFC keeper? 14:33 - Mar 13 with 7894 viewsitfcjoe

In my lifetime it has to be Bart now - previously I'd have said Richard Wright or Kelvin Davis, whereas Bart is going to be fans player of the year for 3 years in a row, that is unheard of.

How far off Paul Cooper is he? Admittedly Cooper was a keeper who won trophies, and a regular in a top side - but impression i always got was that he was a weaker link in the side and but for his penalty saving was nothing special

That may be doing him a disservice, like I said I'm too young to know - interested on thoughts of the older generation

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

on 14:34 - Mar 13 with 4257 views_

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:35 - Mar 13 with 4242 viewsSpruceMoose

Are we counting loanees?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:36 - Mar 13 with 4242 viewsIllinoisblue

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:35 - Mar 13 by SpruceMoose

Are we counting loanees?

if we are, I always thought Paul Gerrard was decent. Of the permanents, big shout out to Craig Forrest.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:36 - Mar 13 with 4240 viewsFinidiCentenary

Bart is a better keeper than Richard Wright I agree.

I personally rate Bart higher than Paul Cooper. Cooper was a decent keeper but if we'd have had Shilton, Clemence or any of the 4-5 great English keepers of the 70's and 80's we'd have won the league 2 or 3 more times. Best keeper at saving penalties I've ever seen mind.

I'd compare Cooper with someone like Scott Carson or Robert Green. I'm sure some of the more romantics will suggest he was better, but he was one of those keepers who'd have played for England in a poorer era but was miles off the rest of that side. Fortunately we were so good he was never really exposed as much.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:37 - Mar 13 with 4226 viewsSpruceMoose

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:36 - Mar 13 by Illinoisblue

if we are, I always thought Paul Gerrard was decent. Of the permanents, big shout out to Craig Forrest.

I see Libby mentioned Begović, that's who I was thinking of. But I suppose he doesn't really count.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:37 - Mar 13 with 4234 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah my dad says that about Cooper.

I’m not sure Bart can be regarded as better than him though given he won 2 major trophies here & was a virtual ever present throughout our greatest period.

Bart has weakness too, his kicking is pretty bad but it looks good because Gerken’s is even worse.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:39 - Mar 13 with 4216 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Winning Player of the year is not a particularly huge accolade these days so I wouldn't use that as a yardstick to his ability.

He's certainly the best permanent keeper we've had since Davis but I'd still put Wright (1st spell) as the best in my lifetime, given his status within the English game and call up to national side, followed by Davis and then Bart with Neil Alexander an outside shout for 4th, but clearly didn't stay long enough to make more of an impact.
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:39 - Mar 13 with 4213 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Gerrard was very good, we’d probably have gone straight back up that year had we been able to keep him.

Instead we had to suffer agent Marshall for another 4 months ffs.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

on 14:41 - Mar 13 with 4206 views_

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:42 - Mar 13 with 4204 viewsPJH

When picking my all time ITFC team I can never decide on who the keeper should be.
My real ITFC memories go back to Roy Bailey and he and Richard Wright are the two that usually come to the top of my thoughts.
I always have a stipulation that to get considered they have to have started a minimum of 100 games for us and Kelvin Davis did not otherwise he would be high in my thoughts.
Paul Cooper for me never gets thought of as a "best ever" but I know some on here disagree-as I have said many times on here, if only we had got Pat Jennings when he left Spurs for Arsenal.

Bart over the last 24 months has really impressed me and if I compile my all time team in another year or two and he continues to play for us as he currently is then maybe my goalkeeping selection problem will be solved.
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:43 - Mar 13 with 4185 viewsitfcjoe

on 14:34 - Mar 13 by _

I really liked Kelvin, he was very consistent and reliable but just don't feel he made the amount of stunning saves Bart has done. His kicking was better though but Bart edges it for me.

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:44 - Mar 13 with 4178 viewsSpruceMoose

on 14:41 - Mar 13 by _

Facters will pop along in a minute to tell us all the best keeper in his lifetime was actually Mick Burns.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2018 14:44]

on 14:45 - Mar 13 with 4166 views_

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:39 - Mar 13 by Reuser_is_God

Paul Gerrard was very good, we’d probably have gone straight back up that year had we been able to keep him.

Instead we had to suffer agent Marshall for another 4 months ffs.

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:45 - Mar 13 with 4165 viewsFrimleyBlue

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:36 - Mar 13 by FinidiCentenary

Bart is a better keeper than Richard Wright I agree.

I personally rate Bart higher than Paul Cooper. Cooper was a decent keeper but if we'd have had Shilton, Clemence or any of the 4-5 great English keepers of the 70's and 80's we'd have won the league 2 or 3 more times. Best keeper at saving penalties I've ever seen mind.

I'd compare Cooper with someone like Scott Carson or Robert Green. I'm sure some of the more romantics will suggest he was better, but he was one of those keepers who'd have played for England in a poorer era but was miles off the rest of that side. Fortunately we were so good he was never really exposed as much.

The original Richard Wright beats all hands down for me ( That I've been alive to see)

Distribution, shot stopping, Commanding of area,

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:45 - Mar 13 with 4165 viewsPJH

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:44 - Mar 13 by SpruceMoose

Facters will pop along in a minute to tell us all the best keeper in his lifetime was actually Mick Burns.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2018 14:44]

If I had been asked the question in the OP when I was 4 the answer would have been Jack Parry.
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:46 - Mar 13 with 4147 viewsReuser_is_God

on 14:45 - Mar 13 by _

Really? Definitely thought it was more than that.

Evans out

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:48 - Mar 13 with 4127 viewsitfcjoe

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:45 - Mar 13 by FrimleyBlue

The original Richard Wright beats all hands down for me ( That I've been alive to see)

Distribution, shot stopping, Commanding of area,

Had he stayed longer than he would have been hands down

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:50 - Mar 13 with 4122 viewsRobTheMonk

Bart for me. I always thought Neil Alexander looked pretty decent when I saw him.

Where's the ALB stats? They always come out in goalkeeper threads (I actually thought ALB got a hell of a lot of unwarranted stick).
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 15:55 - Mar 13 with 3954 viewsBluefish

Who else will go close for poty?

Waghorn?
Connolly?
Skuse?

I'd like to see skuse win it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:04 - Mar 13 with 3935 viewsKilburnBlue

In our historic 1980/81 season. Paul Cooper was voted Players player of the season.

Thats some honor considering what Wark, Muhren & Thijssen had contributed that season.

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:13 - Mar 13 with 3902 viewsLord_Lucan

Begovic or Sereni

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:21 - Mar 13 with 3877 viewsfabian_illness

Kelvin Davis, Neil Alexander, David Stockdale are my choices.
Andy Marshall only gets stick because of his association with NCFC, he was a better keeper than Wright, better trainer and much nicer person.
I don't think Bart is our best ever.
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:22 - Mar 13 with 3876 viewsPJH

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:04 - Mar 13 by KilburnBlue

In our historic 1980/81 season. Paul Cooper was voted Players player of the season.

Thats some honor considering what Wark, Muhren & Thijssen had contributed that season.

I know he got fans player of the season not sure if he got the Players one or even if such a thing existed then.
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:23 - Mar 13 with 3870 viewsBurwell_Blue

Begovic was a class apart, I cant fathom those that say Wright, I thought he was pony.
Best ever ITFC keeper? on 16:27 - Mar 13 with 3859 viewsGeoffSentence

Best ever ITFC keeper? on 14:50 - Mar 13 by RobTheMonk

Bart for me. I always thought Neil Alexander looked pretty decent when I saw him.

Where's the ALB stats? They always come out in goalkeeper threads (I actually thought ALB got a hell of a lot of unwarranted stick).

By ALB statz, do you mean my monologue about how we actual did pretty well with him in goal, which is now in my signature?B

He did come in for some unwarranted stick, whilst he will never trouble the 'best of' lists, he did OK in his time here.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024