Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just seen this 12:23 - Mar 17 with 49770 viewsRoyKeanesDog

6 deaths at Cheltenham this year under severe suspicion of neglect.

Owners are so desperate not to lose money they make the horses race when they know there's a strong chance of them dieing. Really is a brutal 'sport'.

I just don't know how people can go there and support this cruelty for 'entertaimment' and then go home and sleep at night.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but hey I think animal cruelty should stop.

Poll: Best Football Song

Just seen this on 16:40 - Mar 17 with 3706 viewsgerard1947

Just seen this on 16:15 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

I agree with you re 2-year olds (tho the usual explan is "they're bred for it") & would at least restrict this, or put better safeguards in place such as vet examinations of each individual for skeletal structure, bone density etc.

Many flat horses do go on to retrain for other things such as dressage, show-jumping, hacking etc, tho I don't know what the specific stats are.

Luckily some flat horses not making the grade do convert. I'm told temperament is often the problem. Unfortunately lots not good enough for British racing get shipped abroad to try worldwide where standards of welfare almost don't exist. I was told this by a girl who rides out for the largest yard in Newmarket.

Not a flat horse I know but did you ever see mention of what happened to Hello Dandy (won the National). A very sad tale, I think I've got the horse right??
Just seen this on 16:43 - Mar 17 with 3695 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 16:30 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

I was wondering how many horses run during Cheltenham? I thought 30 races by say an average of 15 per race, what's that 450ish. There were 6 horses killed this time, so that's 1 horse died for every 75 taking part. Some years it's higher some it's lower. Of course this doesn't count horses that die in training which of course some do.

Can we justify this total as an acceptable level in what is entertainment after all. Personally I think not.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 16:41]

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/bha-statement-following-conclu

"Following the conclusion of the 2018 Cheltenham Festival, Jamie Stier, Chief Regulatory Officer for the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), said:

“I must first express my sympathy towards to all those who will have loved and cared for the horses who suffered fatal injuries this week. Everyone who follows this sport does so because we love these fine animals and it is extremely sad when we lose any horse.

“The BHA will be reviewing the circumstances leading to the fatalities at the Cheltenham Festival. We will examine the evidence from the past week over the next few days before deciding how we will pursue the review.

“We continue to use research, safety measures, regulation and education to reduce fatality rates to as close to zero as possible. This is what has contributed to the overall fatality rate within British racing reducing by a third in the last 20 years, and the fatality rate in Jump racing reducing to below 0.4% of runners.

“We will also be examining whether the existing penalties for misuse of the whip, and how they apply, constitute an adequate deterrent to jockeys.”

As both Rommy, myself & I think maybe another also said yesterday, the number of runners in the currently large fields certainly needs reducing, as many horses literally can't see the hurdles/fences in some of those races. And the time of the last race needs bringing forward so that racing is not still going on as dusk is starting to fall & visibility reducing, esp on rainy, misty or heavily clouded days (so an earlier start to racing, which I can't see would be a problem).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just seen this on 16:44 - Mar 17 with 3692 viewsMonkeysChuff

Just seen this on 14:28 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

The welfare of horses is a problem in the U.K. There is an aurgument that the slaughter of unwanted horses for food would be beneficial. As it stands they are often seen as valueless and left to die.

A friend of mine found a young horse tethered to a weight literally dying on its feet. She reported it to the RSPCA who said if they took it it would be destroyed as they are impossible to rehome. She brought it food and water, a chap stopped his car said it was his and she could have it.

With no experience of horses, she rescued it, paid its livery and called her Hope. The horse has become a magnificant animal, the rescuer has learned to ride. They look great together, one success against lots of failures I'm afraid.

Similar story to tell, daughters horse is one they saved a day before it was due to go to slaughter. Four years on, it’s a completely different animal, looks magnificent and jumps so well and very well tempered (not that you can trust any animal of that size 100% imo)
In regards to the racing industry I speak to a former jockey, who also became a trainer and he says it’s surprising how many neglect their horses in relation to the treatment. Once the racing career is over they’re discarded like a piece of trash. Suckeneing.
Just seen this on 17:02 - Mar 17 with 3662 viewsgerard1947

Just seen this on 16:43 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/bha-statement-following-conclu

"Following the conclusion of the 2018 Cheltenham Festival, Jamie Stier, Chief Regulatory Officer for the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), said:

“I must first express my sympathy towards to all those who will have loved and cared for the horses who suffered fatal injuries this week. Everyone who follows this sport does so because we love these fine animals and it is extremely sad when we lose any horse.

“The BHA will be reviewing the circumstances leading to the fatalities at the Cheltenham Festival. We will examine the evidence from the past week over the next few days before deciding how we will pursue the review.

“We continue to use research, safety measures, regulation and education to reduce fatality rates to as close to zero as possible. This is what has contributed to the overall fatality rate within British racing reducing by a third in the last 20 years, and the fatality rate in Jump racing reducing to below 0.4% of runners.

“We will also be examining whether the existing penalties for misuse of the whip, and how they apply, constitute an adequate deterrent to jockeys.”

As both Rommy, myself & I think maybe another also said yesterday, the number of runners in the currently large fields certainly needs reducing, as many horses literally can't see the hurdles/fences in some of those races. And the time of the last race needs bringing forward so that racing is not still going on as dusk is starting to fall & visibility reducing, esp on rainy, misty or heavily clouded days (so an earlier start to racing, which I can't see would be a problem).

Grand National = jumps too big, distance too far, far too many horses. Cheltenham probably the same. It's almost these events are most popular because of the jeopardy.

More jeopardy = more dead horses.

I suggest that 0.4% doesn't relate to the National and Cheltenham in isolation. 0.4% is still an unacceptable total anyway.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 17:07]
Just seen this on 17:04 - Mar 17 with 3655 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Utter tripe you idiot

BOT

Just seen this on 17:06 - Mar 17 with 3643 viewsRadlett_blue

Just seen this on 17:02 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

Grand National = jumps too big, distance too far, far too many horses. Cheltenham probably the same. It's almost these events are most popular because of the jeopardy.

More jeopardy = more dead horses.

I suggest that 0.4% doesn't relate to the National and Cheltenham in isolation. 0.4% is still an unacceptable total anyway.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 17:07]

I don't think you know much about the Grand National. The National course at Aintree has been heavily modified in recent years & the fences are now no more demanding than would be faced at any other steeplechase course.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Just seen this on 17:09 - Mar 17 with 3625 viewsgerard1947

Just seen this on 17:04 - Mar 17 by BorisOrTrevor

Utter tripe you idiot

Come on then justify your aurgument.
Just seen this on 17:12 - Mar 17 with 3610 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 17:06 - Mar 17 by Radlett_blue

I don't think you know much about the Grand National. The National course at Aintree has been heavily modified in recent years & the fences are now no more demanding than would be faced at any other steeplechase course.

Not to mention reducing the height of the jumps any further would in all likelihood lead to an increase in the speed they jump at, meaning more - and worse - falls.

Some of the worst falls in racing are over hurdles which are only approx 3'6" in height. That's because of the sheer speed they race at.

Login to get fewer ads

Just seen this on 17:15 - Mar 17 with 3596 viewsbluejake78

My Springer is licking his lips and Tesco burgers will be on sale.
A maximum of horses per race needs to be established....So sad
Just seen this on 17:18 - Mar 17 with 3582 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 16:40 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

Luckily some flat horses not making the grade do convert. I'm told temperament is often the problem. Unfortunately lots not good enough for British racing get shipped abroad to try worldwide where standards of welfare almost don't exist. I was told this by a girl who rides out for the largest yard in Newmarket.

Not a flat horse I know but did you ever see mention of what happened to Hello Dandy (won the National). A very sad tale, I think I've got the horse right??

Yes, Hello Dandy. Sadly, idiots & abusive people can be found everywhere. He had a nice life at the end tho -

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?39987-Hallo-Dandy-Dies/page

Just seen this on 17:25 - Mar 17 with 3561 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘Severe suspicion of neglect’ As per usual, you chat bollox when it comes to racing.

The BHA are investigating. 1 happened on the flat and 3 happened on the last race yesterday. That last race should have less runners in it. 24 for a 2m Chase is too many.

As for the national, The last time a horse dies in that race was 2012.

I won’t be making another comment on the thread but I just had to comment here. Your last part of your post makes you just as preachy and close minded as Callis.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Just seen this on 17:53 - Mar 17 with 3524 viewswkj

Just seen this on 17:25 - Mar 17 by The_Romford_Blue

‘Severe suspicion of neglect’ As per usual, you chat bollox when it comes to racing.

The BHA are investigating. 1 happened on the flat and 3 happened on the last race yesterday. That last race should have less runners in it. 24 for a 2m Chase is too many.

I won’t be making another comment on the thread but I just had to comment here. Your last part of your post makes you just as preachy and close minded as Callis.

See, to me your post made the situation seem much worse than the OP did

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Just seen this on 18:29 - Mar 17 with 3481 viewsBenters2

Yeah but if it wasnt for racing they wouldnt be here.

Something like that.
Just seen this on 18:52 - Mar 17 with 3464 viewsJ2BLUE

Just seen this on 16:04 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

Having been on the inside of several yards, and having two equine vet friends who are regularly on duty at race meetings (both jumps and flat) I can confirm that it's 100% untrue.

Thank you. I did assume it wasn't true. You can really tell how loved the horses are with each and every interview at Cheltenham.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just seen this on 18:53 - Mar 17 with 3464 viewsJ2BLUE

Just seen this on 16:10 - Mar 17 by monytowbray

They respect your right to be anti-animal cruelty so you should respect their right to bet on horses dying though.

This is just funny.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just seen this on 19:06 - Mar 17 with 3455 viewsvapour_trail

Just seen this on 17:09 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

He can’t. He doesn’t have the brains. If he was a horse he’d be put down.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Just seen this on 19:13 - Mar 17 with 3437 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just seen this on 18:29 - Mar 17 by Benters2

Yeah but if it wasnt for racing they wouldnt be here.

Something like that.

I know you don’t have the brain cells to comprehend this but racehorses are bred for racing.

They literally wouldn’t be bred in the first place without racing. People pay thousands to let two horses breeed for the potential offspring.

Without racing, they wouldn’t be alive in the first place.

So it’s not ‘something like that’ at all. It’s absolutely that.

That is all.

Just seen this on 19:22 - Mar 17 with 3421 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 17:09 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

OK, as I agree with BoT but he doesn't seem to be coming back, I'll jump in where angels fear to tread!

1. "severe suspicion of neglect" (says the OP).
That is a plainly ludicrous assertion when there is a vet in the parade ring before the start of every race in the UK, who would immediately refuse to allow to race any horse that was unfit, unwell, in poor condition, had marks of abuse on it, or whose tack (bridle etc) was causing it distress. And the watching crowd of racegoers would certainly not be slow to raise a sh1tstorm if they saw any sign of any neglect/cruelty on any horse - there'd be smartphone pics & videos all over social media within minutes, and mainstream press within hours, if they saw any such thing.

2. "Owners are so desperate not to lose money .."
It costs a small bleeding fortune to enter a horse in a race at Chelts! and no owner with two braincells to rub together ever goes into the sport for the dosh, as for about 99% of them, it leads to losing money - it's a bit like owning a football club really - they do it for the love and also the social life.

3." there's a strong chance of them dieing"
0.4% in jumps racing according to the BHA statement I posted earlier. I agree that's too much, and it's painful, but it is coming down all the time. The number of "ordinary" horses dying from abuse and neglect is far, far higher (see Gerard1947's earlier post).

4. "Maybe I'm in the minority, but hey I think animal cruelty should stop."

Yep, so does everyone on here no doubt, and personally that's why I work & campaign for/support/donate to numerous equine & canine charities.

The problem with people throwing completely incorrect comments about, whether through lack of awareness, genuine ignorance, or just trolling, is that it actually does a disservice to real campaigning for better treatment for animals, as it's so wide of the mark it's just laughed off by organisations who might take note of more accurate campaigning. One area I'd really like to see improved in racing is less box-time (in their stables, roomy tho those are) and more paddock-time for the horses (ie out in the field to run around during their 'down-time'). Some trainers are starting to go down that route, but many are still reluctant to allow it, fearing injury.

Just seen this on 19:28 - Mar 17 with 3410 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 13:08 - Mar 17 by monytowbray

But on a serious note I have no idea why anyone would want to support anything that hurts any living creature.

But that would mean stopping supporting ITFC

Just seen this on 19:38 - Mar 17 with 3394 viewstcblue

Just seen this on 19:13 - Mar 17 by The_Romford_Blue

I know you don’t have the brain cells to comprehend this but racehorses are bred for racing.

They literally wouldn’t be bred in the first place without racing. People pay thousands to let two horses breeed for the potential offspring.

Without racing, they wouldn’t be alive in the first place.

So it’s not ‘something like that’ at all. It’s absolutely that.

That is all.

Neither would dogs which are bred for fighting. Does that mean dog fighting is okay? You could bet on it..
Just seen this on 19:43 - Mar 17 with 3381 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Just seen this on 17:25 - Mar 17 by The_Romford_Blue

You made another comment on the thread.

Poll: Best Football Song

Just seen this on 19:44 - Mar 17 with 3376 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just seen this on 19:38 - Mar 17 by tcblue

Neither would dogs which are bred for fighting. Does that mean dog fighting is okay? You could bet on it..

Aye cos that’s the same thing

Just seen this on 19:45 - Mar 17 with 3374 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just seen this on 19:43 - Mar 17 by RoyKeanesDog

You made another comment on the thread.

Free country innit

Just seen this on 19:53 - Mar 17 with 3350 viewstcblue

Just seen this on 19:44 - Mar 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Aye cos that’s the same thing

Clearly the sport isn't that similar, but your flimsy argument about breeding is the very same, no?
Just seen this on 19:55 - Mar 17 with 3345 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just seen this on 19:53 - Mar 17 by tcblue

Clearly the sport isn't that similar, but your flimsy argument about breeding is the very same, no?

But horses enjoy racing. I’m sure fighting dogs don’t enjoy fighting.

A rider unseated on Wednesday in the 3m cross country race at the first or second fence. The horse ran the entire 3m race running alongside the rest of the runners loving life riderless.

So there’s a massive difference clearly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024