Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just seen this 12:23 - Mar 17 with 49772 viewsRoyKeanesDog

6 deaths at Cheltenham this year under severe suspicion of neglect.

Owners are so desperate not to lose money they make the horses race when they know there's a strong chance of them dieing. Really is a brutal 'sport'.

I just don't know how people can go there and support this cruelty for 'entertaimment' and then go home and sleep at night.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but hey I think animal cruelty should stop.

Poll: Best Football Song

Just seen this on 21:36 - Mar 18 with 4979 viewseireblue

Just seen this on 21:30 - Mar 18 by Ryorry

May I recomend you read, or re-read, the thread (esp p.6).

I'll help you with the article I posted a link to earlier.

This is the abstract.

"There is increasing controversy about the use of the whip as a performance aid in Thoroughbred horseracing and its impact on horse welfare. This paper offers a critical analysis of the British Horseracing Authority’s (BHA) 2011 Report Responsible Regulation: A Review of the Use of the Whip in Horseracing. It examines the BHA’s process of consultation and use of science and public opinion research through the application of current scientific literature and legal analysis. This analysis suggests that the BHA’s findings on the welfare impact and justification for whip use are insufficiently defended by the report. These findings indicate that the report is an inadequate basis from which to draw any definitive conclusions on the impact of whips on racehorse welfare. Further review is needed, undertaken by an independent scientific body, to advance this debate."

There may have been an independent scientific review done since 2011.

Always happy to be informed by independent scientific reviews, if you have a link.
What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 21:41 - Mar 18 with 4955 viewsm14_blue

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 20:31 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

This is for RKD from callis.

‘Can someone please pitch my question to RKD as I assumed he has me on Div. I’m not on the wind up, I’m genuinely curious that if he feels so strong about horse racing and defending animal rights in this case I may be close to winning him over as an ally to further animal causes due to the fact dairy and meat agriculture makes horse racing look like a fun walk in the park, which would make me very pleased if he starts to see where I’ve been coming from.

My question was...

“I'm still more interested in why horse racing is bad but it's okay to eat horse meat personally. Genuine question. How do you feel one is wrong but the other is okay? More animals fall victim to cruelty and grim deaths in the meat and dairy industry than horses in the horse industry. I just can't make sense of this thread at all.”

If anyone can C+P this post RKD’s way it’d be much appreciated, cheers.’

This needs to be removed IMO.

The ignore function's there for a reason.
Just seen this on 21:44 - Mar 18 with 4946 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 21:36 - Mar 18 by eireblue

I'll help you with the article I posted a link to earlier.

This is the abstract.

"There is increasing controversy about the use of the whip as a performance aid in Thoroughbred horseracing and its impact on horse welfare. This paper offers a critical analysis of the British Horseracing Authority’s (BHA) 2011 Report Responsible Regulation: A Review of the Use of the Whip in Horseracing. It examines the BHA’s process of consultation and use of science and public opinion research through the application of current scientific literature and legal analysis. This analysis suggests that the BHA’s findings on the welfare impact and justification for whip use are insufficiently defended by the report. These findings indicate that the report is an inadequate basis from which to draw any definitive conclusions on the impact of whips on racehorse welfare. Further review is needed, undertaken by an independent scientific body, to advance this debate."

There may have been an independent scientific review done since 2011.

Always happy to be informed by independent scientific reviews, if you have a link.

Did you read my post in which I said I personally would ban the whip in horseracing except for its essential safety use?

Anyway, I feel I've more than done my bit on this thread now, around 2 dozen posts, many very lengthy, and almost 12 hours after my first one this morning - g'night.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 22:20 - Mar 18 with 4895 viewsmonytowbray

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 21:41 - Mar 18 by m14_blue

This needs to be removed IMO.

The ignore function's there for a reason.

There’s nothing malicious in it, I don’t see the issue.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 22:29 - Mar 18 with 4887 viewsm14_blue

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 22:20 - Mar 18 by monytowbray

There’s nothing malicious in it, I don’t see the issue.

I'm sure there isn't, it's more the general principle than the specifics.

If, for whatever reason, someone's decided they don't want to interact with another poster (and they must have a pretty strong reason for doing that) I don't think it's right for someone else to effectively force them to do so.

Nothing personal, and I'm sure RKD won't be bothered, it's just a precedent that I don't think should be set.
Just seen this on 01:27 - Mar 19 with 4829 viewstcblue

I'm still struggling with the binary choices that some people seem to think horses have of either being used for racing or food.

Don't you all live in the country?
What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:29 - Mar 19 with 4773 viewsitfcjoe

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 18:06 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

They would.

They just would.

But I thought these trainers love these horses and treat them like their own children etc?

I'm not anti-horse racing, I don't really have a n opinion - but I read that these horses are treated better than people, money is no object, etc, but now you are saying if they are no longer any use to the people that run it they would just be put down?

Can you square that circle?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:36 - Mar 19 with 4760 viewsRadlett_blue

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:29 - Mar 19 by itfcjoe

But I thought these trainers love these horses and treat them like their own children etc?

I'm not anti-horse racing, I don't really have a n opinion - but I read that these horses are treated better than people, money is no object, etc, but now you are saying if they are no longer any use to the people that run it they would just be put down?

Can you square that circle?

I would guess that they treat the horses in their care very well largely because that's the most effective way of getting them to run well, so effectively it's a means to an end.
A horse, unless used for pleasure, is an expensive pet so no surprise that some are kllled once they have reached the end of their useful life. Not really much different from breeding other animals for food, is it?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:44 - Mar 19 with 4752 viewsitfcjoe

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:36 - Mar 19 by Radlett_blue

I would guess that they treat the horses in their care very well largely because that's the most effective way of getting them to run well, so effectively it's a means to an end.
A horse, unless used for pleasure, is an expensive pet so no surprise that some are kllled once they have reached the end of their useful life. Not really much different from breeding other animals for food, is it?

But when on that last thread I said that they were treated well because they were effectively investments I was lambasted (although that thread seems to have been deleted?)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:52 - Mar 19 with 4735 viewsRadlett_blue

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:44 - Mar 19 by itfcjoe

But when on that last thread I said that they were treated well because they were effectively investments I was lambasted (although that thread seems to have been deleted?)

As you can see, I agree with your point. However, many owners are caring & responsible & do fork out for their retired racehorses to be looked after & turned out in fields.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

on 11:18 - Mar 19 with 4695 views_

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 08:44 - Mar 19 by itfcjoe

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 12:40 - Mar 19 with 4647 viewsbluebud

on 11:18 - Mar 19 by _

"There's not much point trying to apply logic in these discussions, far too many are sincerely blinkered and offer over zealous retorts due to their own preconceptions/choices"

...forgive me, I always thought you lacked self awareness but I'm happy to apologise, for someone so intolerant of other peoples freedom of choice you've described yourself perfectly.
on 13:36 - Mar 19 with 4610 views_

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 12:40 - Mar 19 by bluebud

"There's not much point trying to apply logic in these discussions, far too many are sincerely blinkered and offer over zealous retorts due to their own preconceptions/choices"

...forgive me, I always thought you lacked self awareness but I'm happy to apologise, for someone so intolerant of other peoples freedom of choice you've described yourself perfectly.

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 13:52 - Mar 19 with 4589 viewsBenters2

on 11:18 - Mar 19 by _

Basically horses love to run.

The whip doesnt hurt(it used to but not anymore)

They wouldnt be born if it wasnt for them being racehorses.

The whip doesnt hurt.

Ryorry runs a horse racing forum.

J2 and Rommy are not addicted to Gambling.

Im not a alcoholic ive had 4 pints since the Norwich game.

Somebody shoot me.
What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 13:56 - Mar 19 with 4575 viewsSpruceMoose

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 13:52 - Mar 19 by Benters2

The whip doesnt hurt.

Somebody shoot me.

I could get behind your last point!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 14:00 - Mar 19 with 4559 viewsBenters2

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 13:56 - Mar 19 by SpruceMoose

I could get behind your last point!

Good man.
What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 14:34 - Mar 19 with 4534 viewsJ2BLUE

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 13:52 - Mar 19 by Benters2

The whip doesnt hurt.

Somebody shoot me.

Oh i'm an addict now as well? Fantastic.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 15:30 - Mar 19 with 4480 viewsbluebud

on 13:36 - Mar 19 by _

Hahahaha

We've had a few exchanges in the past few weeks/months. You not remembering at all leads me to believe that your comment bombing and disparate posts strewn all over TWTD is all about you and not genuine discourse.

In terms of detail and my opinion. If you really wanted to know may I suggest reading.....yes reading, other peoples and my opinion, properly....in the first few pages of this very same thread....chap.
What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 16:04 - Mar 19 with 4435 viewsSpruceMoose

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 15:30 - Mar 19 by bluebud

Hahahaha

We've had a few exchanges in the past few weeks/months. You not remembering at all leads me to believe that your comment bombing and disparate posts strewn all over TWTD is all about you and not genuine discourse.

In terms of detail and my opinion. If you really wanted to know may I suggest reading.....yes reading, other peoples and my opinion, properly....in the first few pages of this very same thread....chap.

Is this the first know occurrence of a 'Don't you know who I am?' plea for attention in TWTD history?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 16:11 - Mar 19 with 4422 viewsbluebud

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 16:04 - Mar 19 by SpruceMoose

Is this the first know occurrence of a 'Don't you know who I am?' plea for attention in TWTD history?

He asked me!

I accused him of making blasphemous comments that I didn't like :-)

That's why I know he remembers.

[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 16:27]
What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 16:13 - Mar 19 with 4413 viewsSpruceMoose

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 16:11 - Mar 19 by bluebud

He asked me!

I accused him of making blasphemous comments that I didn't like :-)

That's why I know he remembers.

[Post edited 19 Mar 2018 16:27]

What was the nature of these blasphemous comments?

on 16:55 - Mar 19 with 4377 views_

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 15:30 - Mar 19 by bluebud

Hahahaha

Just seen this on 10:28 - Mar 20 with 4244 viewsJ2BLUE

-Edit-
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 12:04]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just seen this on 10:53 - Mar 20 with 4222 viewsLord_Lucan

Just seen this on 10:28 - Mar 20 by J2BLUE

-Edit-
[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 12:04]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 09:51 - Mar 21 with 4096 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What is irrelevant about this? Genuinely interested? on 18:13 - Mar 18 by The_Romford_Blue

So we agree then that banning horse racing would lead to their deaths.

10 die in racing for every 2500. But you would quite happily kill the other 2490 becaus eyou believe they are being exploited. Oh dear.

Just catching up on this thread after a couple of days...

1) They really wouldn’t all die, don’t be so daft

2) Assuming what you say is true, doesn’t that completely destroy yours and Ryorry’s argument that the owners and trainers etc absolutely love horses and wouldn’t dream of seeing them put in harms way? It’s almost like they only love them because they make them money

3) LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024