Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... 07:47 - Apr 17 with 2704 viewsNick_Blue11

I get that people want managers with previous experience and would be happy with either of these two had they had lower league experience. But the fact remains, these guys are most likely going to walk into a championship job as they're first job prior to League 1/2 because the turnover is so high that directors/ boards will be willing to take a risk on potential and a huge book of football connections;

We've done the 'knows his way out of the championship route' and the very reason Mick left is because a large proportion of fans couldn't stand to watch predictable boring defensive football. Either of the two mentioned above wouldn't even go near what we would perceive as an unaatractive way of playing football. They would lend on their influences and previous managers and isn't that what we all really want? An attempt at getting back to creating chances and playing football.

I know it would be a PR circus but this type of young, ambitious manager who has worked with quality players even at U18 level and would play football based on their previous experiences with world class managers is exactly what we should be aspiring to. I understand the Keane comparisons but Keane ruled by fear and was unfortunately a victim of his success at Sunderland. By the time we got him he thought he was the second coming of Fergie. The likes of Gerrard are significantly more humble and if we don't take a chance then somebody else in our division will.
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 07:57 - Apr 17 with 2667 viewsKeno

I prefer Alex to Christine, something about her I find annoying

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 07:59 - Apr 17 with 2665 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Pro’s = contacts at major clubs means we would possibly get the pick of young loan players, like to play football the right way, players would look up to them.

Con’s = no experience at this level, the media circus will be huge.

I would go for Gerrard over Lampard just due to the fact he is working with Liverpool now, but It would always be a case of when not if the leave. We need to build something here not be a stepping stone for somebody. So in that case I would go for a Kuqi or stejin.
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:08 - Apr 17 with 2643 viewstractorboy1978

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 07:59 - Apr 17 by Guru_of_Ipswich

Pro’s = contacts at major clubs means we would possibly get the pick of young loan players, like to play football the right way, players would look up to them.

I would go for Gerrard over Lampard just due to the fact he is working with Liverpool now, but It would always be a case of when not if the leave. We need to build something here not be a stepping stone for somebody. So in that case I would go for a Kuqi or stejin.

Is that a pro? The club needs a long term plan based around the academy and a long term manager that is going to buy into it. I think appointing either of these two would be an attempt at a quick fix.
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:14 - Apr 17 with 2618 viewstextbackup

kuqi.... please no

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:14 - Apr 17 with 2615 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:08 - Apr 17 by tractorboy1978

Is that a pro? The club needs a long term plan based around the academy and a long term manager that is going to buy into it. I think appointing either of these two would be an attempt at a quick fix.

To be able to get in young up and coming players from clubs like Liverpool then yes that is a bonus. I know we would all like to say every single player on this pitch is ours, but in reality it never happens, every club like ours need to use the loan system and if you can get in with one of the big boys then that is a huge plus.

But as I said at the end, I would prefer somebody who is here for the long haul, preferably stejin but somebody who takes Ipswich to their heart.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 8:17]
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:19 - Apr 17 with 2600 viewsitfcjoe

I don't see the issue with being a stepping stone, if a manager uses us as one (like all our players would if given half a chance) it indicates that they have been successful here

SAR and SBR used us as a stepping stone to get the England job

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:20 - Apr 17 with 2600 viewschicoazul

A better sign that I am getting old you couldn't find than people discussing these twos merits as possible Ipswich managers, once upon a time it was all about whether they could play together for England.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:23 - Apr 17 with 2589 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:14 - Apr 17 by Guru_of_Ipswich

To be able to get in young up and coming players from clubs like Liverpool then yes that is a bonus. I know we would all like to say every single player on this pitch is ours, but in reality it never happens, every club like ours need to use the loan system and if you can get in with one of the big boys then that is a huge plus.

But as I said at the end, I would prefer somebody who is here for the long haul, preferably stejin but somebody who takes Ipswich to their heart.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2018 8:17]

This one was largely done to death yesterday so I won’t go on too much, but where does the idea that a Gerrard or a Lampard would have scores of contacts come from? They spent the vast majority of their careers playing for one club - maybe Gerrard would be able to get a player or two from Liverpool but outside of that?

It contacts is what we’re after, then wouldn’t an experienced manager with a track record of developing youngsters be a much bigger draw?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:45 - Apr 17 with 2545 viewstractorboy1978

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:19 - Apr 17 by itfcjoe

I don't see the issue with being a stepping stone, if a manager uses us as one (like all our players would if given half a chance) it indicates that they have been successful here

SAR and SBR used us as a stepping stone to get the England job

Not an issue as long as they completely buy into the club whilst they are here and make decisions that benefit the club long term (even if they may not be here). I just have a gut feeling that either of them would be an attempt at a quick fix - get them in, hope they can get hold of some decent Liverpool/Chelsea kids and we can blag a quick promotion.
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:49 - Apr 17 with 2541 viewsitfcjoe

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:45 - Apr 17 by tractorboy1978

Not an issue as long as they completely buy into the club whilst they are here and make decisions that benefit the club long term (even if they may not be here). I just have a gut feeling that either of them would be an attempt at a quick fix - get them in, hope they can get hold of some decent Liverpool/Chelsea kids and we can blag a quick promotion.

But in order to be seen as a viable candidate for a better job then they need to achieve something here or it wouldn't be a stepping stone - see Roy keane

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 10:05 - Apr 17 with 2469 viewsBlueBadger

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:14 - Apr 17 by textbackup

kuqi.... please no

I would genuinely find Gerrard easier to accept than Kuqi. At least Stevie is learning his trade at somewhere with a supportive structure offering him an eventual pathway to the top job, unlike Kuqi.
Neither's a great option though, at present.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 10:06 - Apr 17 with 2468 viewsBlueBadger

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:23 - Apr 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

This one was largely done to death yesterday so I won’t go on too much, but where does the idea that a Gerrard or a Lampard would have scores of contacts come from? They spent the vast majority of their careers playing for one club - maybe Gerrard would be able to get a player or two from Liverpool but outside of that?

It contacts is what we’re after, then wouldn’t an experienced manager with a track record of developing youngsters be a much bigger draw?

Let's not actually apply some critical thought to this now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 10:22 - Apr 17 with 2443 viewsMoisha

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 08:20 - Apr 17 by chicoazul

A better sign that I am getting old you couldn't find than people discussing these twos merits as possible Ipswich managers, once upon a time it was all about whether they could play together for England.

Maybe we should hire them both to see if they can manage together instead.
Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 12:14 - Apr 17 with 2365 viewsGarv

'the very reason Mick left is because a large proportion of fans couldn't stand to watch predictable boring defensive football. Either of the two mentioned above wouldn't even go near what we would perceive as an unattractive way of playing football'

I'm not sure how one can guarantee that. If they're new to management I would think they would do what they need to to succeed. If that means playing rigid 4-4-2 or whatever it is then they would do it I imagine. If they feel they haven't got enough quality to work with it wouldn't surprise me. A more experienced manager MIGHT have a little more confidence to play more expansively.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 12:42 - Apr 17 with 2320 viewsNick_Blue11

Gerrard/ Lampard Discuss... on 12:14 - Apr 17 by Garv

'the very reason Mick left is because a large proportion of fans couldn't stand to watch predictable boring defensive football. Either of the two mentioned above wouldn't even go near what we would perceive as an unattractive way of playing football'

I'm not sure how one can guarantee that. If they're new to management I would think they would do what they need to to succeed. If that means playing rigid 4-4-2 or whatever it is then they would do it I imagine. If they feel they haven't got enough quality to work with it wouldn't surprise me. A more experienced manager MIGHT have a little more confidence to play more expansively.

You obviously cant guarantee it. But given all new managers/ coaches are encouraged to have a unique philosophy one would assume these guys mentioned would have picked up certain coaching philosophies from there previous managers and current bosses. I also believe that a less experienced manager such as these two would be likely to stick to their guns and less likely to fear the sack, especially given their reputation. On the flip side, I think experienced managers always quickly turn to the old adage 'the championships a very physical league'... 'we've got to be hard to beat' when a few results go against them and subsequently turn to a rigid formation and much less flexible style of play.

On the topic of connections, the two being discussed we're one/ two club men but their connections should be far more fresh and available, that includes managers/ mentors/ players they've played with at International level/ rivals. I get the point that experience will get you a wider book of contacts but I think of a club of our stature is looking for the niche connections that will gain us a significant advantage. Marcus I suspect has a very large book of connections already so ex pro's like these two are much more likely to have an influence with the likes of Klopp/ Mourinho, even Southgate who might have the ear of the younger International boys. The likes of who could really help us if they wanted to do either a favour. These guys could have the potential to really influence recruitment/ culture etc
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024