Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right, this is getting silly 10:06 - May 21 with 5060 viewsGuthrum

The monomaniacal fixation with Jack Ross has to stop.

He isn't the only candidate. He may not even be the best one. He may not want to come to Ipswich, for a variety of reasons (deal isn't right, too far from Scotland, doesn't buy into Evans' plan, situation not what he wants to take on).

Failing to get him (and him alone) is not the ultimate disaster. Why would we want to miss out on other good prospects (e.g. Hurst) by throwing everything at the feet of one man who is, after all and quite fairly, only playing the market from his end.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Right, this is getting silly on 10:07 - May 21 with 4182 viewschicoazul

Hey do you watch The Last Kingdom?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Right, this is getting silly on 10:08 - May 21 with 4175 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Well said.

Im glad the football club is run by ME and not the forum members.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Right, this is getting silly on 10:10 - May 21 with 4152 viewsGuthrum

Right, this is getting silly on 10:07 - May 21 by chicoazul

Hey do you watch The Last Kingdom?

Not had a chance to watch any of that yet. One I'd like to get round to some time.

Right, this is getting silly on 10:11 - May 21 with 4146 viewstcblue

I get all of that but temper with it what he represents, a young but experienced and successful (yes, I know) manager who doesn't know Harry Redknapp.

People got into those ideas, did some investigation and liked what they found. And we are probably all nervous that Evans et al might disregard all their good talk and install one of Arry's Triffic Mates anyway.

But I agree with you.
Right, this is getting silly on 10:12 - May 21 with 4141 viewsWD19

Suspect the fixation largely only exists as a contrived means by which to bash ME if he 'fails' to appoint JR.
Right, this is getting silly on 10:12 - May 21 with 4132 viewschicoazul

Right, this is getting silly on 10:10 - May 21 by Guthrum

Not had a chance to watch any of that yet. One I'd like to get round to some time.

Pretty good! Your namesake features

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Right, this is getting silly on 10:16 - May 21 with 4101 viewsGuthrum

Right, this is getting silly on 10:11 - May 21 by tcblue

I get all of that but temper with it what he represents, a young but experienced and successful (yes, I know) manager who doesn't know Harry Redknapp.

People got into those ideas, did some investigation and liked what they found. And we are probably all nervous that Evans et al might disregard all their good talk and install one of Arry's Triffic Mates anyway.

But I agree with you.

Indeed. I'm not saying at all that he's a bad candidate. Just that he's not our only hope, so shouldn't be treated as such.

Right, this is getting silly on 10:20 - May 21 with 4071 viewsGuthrum

Right, this is getting silly on 10:12 - May 21 by chicoazul

Pretty good! Your namesake features

Early Medieval/Dark Age history is one of the periods which most interests me. Once camped for the night on the (probable) battlefield of Ethandun, on a cycling trip (one of the reasons I picked Guthrum for an online moniker, along with him being King of the East Anglian Danelaw).

Login to get fewer ads

Right, this is getting silly on 10:22 - May 21 with 4063 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Right, this is getting silly on 10:12 - May 21 by WD19

Suspect the fixation largely only exists as a contrived means by which to bash ME if he 'fails' to appoint JR.

ME stated quite clearly that he was looking to appoint a manager late May / early June.

He seems to be sticking to those timescales, which for some reason comes as a surprise to some people.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Right, this is getting silly on 10:27 - May 21 with 4027 viewseireblue

But he has a really good interview about tactics on youtube.

In Two Parts !!!!
Hang on!! on 10:33 - May 21 with 4004 viewsunstableblue

This appointment is very very important.

A lot of naysayers have been dismissing the Ross love-in. But for many he really is ticking a lot of boxes, and critically he wants to play football the right way and he follows his conviction to play that way continually. As testified by fans, players and friends, and as evidenced by highlights of St Mirren play and there stats.

I feel that is the number one criteria for this appointment. Now don't get me wrong he is still a massive massive gamble, as is anyone from the lower tiers.

But Ross just feels right for many. Lampard is just a name, and Hurst although we'd all support him does not seemingly play the game the same way.

I fully support is Marcus following a round of interviews to look at the best sample of candidates, but if Ross was indeed a good candidate and impressed perhaps we should have broken the process. But my feeling is that the Ross opportunity has gone.

What we need to learn from the Mick debacle is that Town fans want to watch football, and want to build on a platform of players being trained technically... Ross felt like he has this.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Right, this is getting silly on 10:34 - May 21 with 3988 viewswkj

What fixation?

Got my tattoo design ready to go

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Hang on!! on 10:42 - May 21 with 3958 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hang on!! on 10:33 - May 21 by unstableblue

This appointment is very very important.

A lot of naysayers have been dismissing the Ross love-in. But for many he really is ticking a lot of boxes, and critically he wants to play football the right way and he follows his conviction to play that way continually. As testified by fans, players and friends, and as evidenced by highlights of St Mirren play and there stats.

I feel that is the number one criteria for this appointment. Now don't get me wrong he is still a massive massive gamble, as is anyone from the lower tiers.

But Ross just feels right for many. Lampard is just a name, and Hurst although we'd all support him does not seemingly play the game the same way.

I fully support is Marcus following a round of interviews to look at the best sample of candidates, but if Ross was indeed a good candidate and impressed perhaps we should have broken the process. But my feeling is that the Ross opportunity has gone.

What we need to learn from the Mick debacle is that Town fans want to watch football, and want to build on a platform of players being trained technically... Ross felt like he has this.

Maybe Ross didnt impress enough in the interviews....

Right, this is getting silly on 10:44 - May 21 with 3943 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Right, this is getting silly on 10:27 - May 21 by eireblue

But he has a really good interview about tactics on youtube.

In Two Parts !!!!

I know, why does Evans insist on interviewing in person when he could appoint a manager based on;

- Youtube interviews.
- Someone in Barcelonas media team liking a tweet by St Mirren.
- Ross' mate giving an interview to the EADT.

What more do you need Mr Evans??!! ;-)

Right, this is getting silly on 10:44 - May 21 with 3941 viewsHurleyBurley

Exactly.

I'd love Ross to come to Ipswich, but I don't get this urgency thing at all.

It's not like it's Christmas Eve and Ross is the last turkey in the supermarket.

It's Ross' decision at the end of the day, not Evans'.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Right, this is getting silly on 10:45 - May 21 with 3931 viewsArcher4721

Well said.

Frank Lampard's Blue and White Army!
Right, this is getting silly on 10:49 - May 21 with 3916 viewsGuthrum

Right, this is getting silly on 10:44 - May 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

I know, why does Evans insist on interviewing in person when he could appoint a manager based on;

- Youtube interviews.
- Someone in Barcelonas media team liking a tweet by St Mirren.
- Ross' mate giving an interview to the EADT.

What more do you need Mr Evans??!! ;-)

Wasn't that long ago people were raving about Kuqi's interview in the EADT. Or the one Burley gave.

Right, this is getting silly on 10:51 - May 21 with 3903 viewsmonty_radio

I feel the "fixation" as the O.P. calls it is largely a statement of the impatience of the times. Many close followers of football situations will, of course, want him for reasons already stated on this thread - success, youth, ambition, not being many of the others. But many will be jumping on and just be afraid that we'll wind up with a merry-go-manager.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Right, this is getting silly on 11:03 - May 21 with 3870 viewsurbanblue

What we have to realise is that looking at options is a two way street both for us and Jack Ross. As much as we wish to look at all candidates before deciding that he is the right fit no doubt he will wish to do the same to ensure we are the club for him.

There actually is no rush on either side. If he doesn't get the job there will be stacks of other options for him and if he decides not to join us we still have other choices. In fact, Ross can sit back and take all the time he wants to decide. ME will want to ensure any potential Manager is keen and committed and has thought it all through. If Ross immediately signs with Sunderland then clearly he wasn't the man for us.

I'm a Jack Ross fan and hope he gets the job but am actually pretty chilled about it all. As we know there is Hurst and I'm actually not averse to Lampard.
Right, this is getting silly on 11:07 - May 21 with 3837 viewscrazyblue68

Well said. People on here are complete morons, mostly contradicting themselves at every post they make.
Hang on!! on 11:08 - May 21 with 3829 viewsunstableblue

Hang on!! on 10:42 - May 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

Maybe Ross didnt impress enough in the interviews....

I think that's what probably has happened.

Or Marcus has a specific plan to interview as many candidates up to a certain date, including Hurst, and then make a decision. And if Ross and others have chosen to go elsehwere in that period due to a lack of an ITFC offer then so be it.

Which I frankly don't think is a bad plan.

I know you're a bit down on this enthusiasm MM, but I do think there is a very small sample of candidates who could actually make Town progress, and again just feel Ross is in that category. But agree evidence of this is qualitative!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hang on!! on 11:15 - May 21 with 3807 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hang on!! on 11:08 - May 21 by unstableblue

I think that's what probably has happened.

Or Marcus has a specific plan to interview as many candidates up to a certain date, including Hurst, and then make a decision. And if Ross and others have chosen to go elsehwere in that period due to a lack of an ITFC offer then so be it.

Which I frankly don't think is a bad plan.

I know you're a bit down on this enthusiasm MM, but I do think there is a very small sample of candidates who could actually make Town progress, and again just feel Ross is in that category. But agree evidence of this is qualitative!

I dont disagree that hes a good candidate, but I dont think the hysteria and panic is justified or helpful.

Right, this is getting silly on 11:20 - May 21 with 3796 viewsblaggers

The whole Scottish Championship is a bit of a joke to be fair. League averages less than 3000 a game, ITFC's wage bill is £17.8m, which is the same roughly as Rangers, and double that of Aberdeen and Hearts. The average first teamer at St Mirren earns £1500pw. You'd be better off scouring the second tier of Belgian, German or French football for a manager to be fair. Securing Ross could be seen as getting a a manager on the cheap, because you just know he won't get anywhere near the contract that Mick was on. Lampard on the other hand, for someone with no management experience will get big wages to come to Ipswich.

Poll: What happens next?

Right, this is getting silly on 11:22 - May 21 with 3791 viewsBetablocker

Whilst I agree and also get the ME outlined the timescales but...

West ham as example have appeared to want Pellegrini and or benitez - you think they are getting second interviews and the fans being told it's going to take 6 weeks or so to find the new guy?

It's just imho another pointer to ME's naivety that he can just interview lots of people numerous times and then ponder the outcome and ring offering them the job.

That's the problem with the whole situation it reeks of his lack of football nouse.

Just my opinion!
Right, this is getting silly on 11:40 - May 21 with 3720 viewsGuthrum

Right, this is getting silly on 11:22 - May 21 by Betablocker

Whilst I agree and also get the ME outlined the timescales but...

West ham as example have appeared to want Pellegrini and or benitez - you think they are getting second interviews and the fans being told it's going to take 6 weeks or so to find the new guy?

It's just imho another pointer to ME's naivety that he can just interview lots of people numerous times and then ponder the outcome and ring offering them the job.

That's the problem with the whole situation it reeks of his lack of football nouse.

Just my opinion!

Doubt Benitez was interested and they appear to have simply thrown £10m a season at getting a "name" (who, admittedly, was quite successful with one of the wealthiest clubs in the world, which WH are not). That might satisfy their angry fans for a bit, but if things don't go well ...

We need someone demonstrably competent, preferably with a bit of flair and having an ability to work on a budget bringing through youths from the academy. In short, we need a manger who works at ITFC. That takes a bit more effort than just picking names off a list of "people we've heard of" and offering them money until they say yes.

Perhaps Evans' approach is the right one and traditional football panic hiring in the shortest possible timeframe is wrong? I bet Huddersfield did extensive research before getting Wagner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024