Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. 07:52 - Jun 1 with 3532 viewsbluevein

What does that say? I'm not sure.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2018 7:53]
Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 07:53 - Jun 1 with 3515 viewsJimmyJazz

That we aren't in the 70's any more?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 07:54 - Jun 1 with 3507 viewsHerbivore

That the world of football has changed an awful lot in 40 years.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 08:37 - Jun 1 with 3400 viewsblueislander

During that period we had great youth teams and many of them made it in to the first team.
Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:18 - Jun 1 with 3355 viewsmonty_radio

While it was a marvellous achievement, most who recall it well know that ultimately our thin squad caught up with us. When we were in for the famous treble, towards the end of that season, injuries to such as Beattie cost us dear. If we'd only had 2-3 more of the quality of the starting 11 I'm sure we would have got over the line.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:24 - Jun 1 with 3339 viewsSwansea_Blue

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 07:53 - Jun 1 by JimmyJazz

That we aren't in the 70's any more?

Balls!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:32 - Jun 1 with 3326 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:33 - Jun 1 with 3323 viewsCoco

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:24 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

Balls!

No, he’s correct.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:36 - Jun 1 with 3319 viewsMoisha

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:18 - Jun 1 by monty_radio

While it was a marvellous achievement, most who recall it well know that ultimately our thin squad caught up with us. When we were in for the famous treble, towards the end of that season, injuries to such as Beattie cost us dear. If we'd only had 2-3 more of the quality of the starting 11 I'm sure we would have got over the line.

Spot on....
Login to get fewer ads

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 11:45 - Jun 1 with 3244 viewsLord_Lucan

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 09:18 - Jun 1 by monty_radio

Whilst you are correct Beattie in reality was a bit part player by then. The most significant injury that season was Thijjsen IMHO.

I remember playing Norwich on Easter Monday and our side was decimated. We were playing three games a week then.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 11:52 - Jun 1 with 3235 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 11:45 - Jun 1 by Lord_Lucan

Whilst you are correct Beattie in reality was a bit part player by then. The most significant injury that season was Thijjsen IMHO.

I remember playing Norwich on Easter Monday and our side was decimated. We were playing three games a week then.

That is interesting. More games per week and the squads were smaller, the same team played if at all possible and there was only one sub. How much has the game (the players and the fans) benefitted from the increase in squads and substitutes and the decrease in frequency of matches?

As for the original thread, it is at least 19 Robson signed. I wonder how that compares with other clubs over the same time period as transfers were not as common generally.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:00 - Jun 1 with 3216 viewsLord_Lucan

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 11:52 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

That is interesting. More games per week and the squads were smaller, the same team played if at all possible and there was only one sub. How much has the game (the players and the fans) benefitted from the increase in squads and substitutes and the decrease in frequency of matches?

As for the original thread, it is at least 19 Robson signed. I wonder how that compares with other clubs over the same time period as transfers were not as common generally.

I think at some points we were playing four games in eight days, including being away in Europe. Not many teams had huge squads then, it wasn’t just us. Villa only played 14 players that season I think.

Also the conditions were worse and the footballs weighed a tonne.

I know old farts always say this but it was better back then - it really was.

Imagine no saturated TV coverage, no live games, all matches played on a Saturday. The excitement of going to a game was off the scale back then. These days football gets in the way of a good day out with your mates.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:07 - Jun 1 with 3206 viewsSmithersJones

Yes, you're right. While many of us of a certain vintage can name (misty eyed) the starting XI for the 1981 UEFA Cup Final, the subs bench makes telling reading: Sivell, Steggles, Parkin, Turner, O'Callaghan. None of them came on in either game IIRC.
Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:07 - Jun 1 with 3205 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:00 - Jun 1 by Lord_Lucan

I think at some points we were playing four games in eight days, including being away in Europe. Not many teams had huge squads then, it wasn’t just us. Villa only played 14 players that season I think.

Also the conditions were worse and the footballs weighed a tonne.

I know old farts always say this but it was better back then - it really was.

Imagine no saturated TV coverage, no live games, all matches played on a Saturday. The excitement of going to a game was off the scale back then. These days football gets in the way of a good day out with your mates.

I think much was better then.

However, I think there is more skill on show now. Reducing tackling from the game has given players more time on the ball and players are more skilful generally. 3 points for a win and changing the law on goalkeepers picking up pass backs have been very positive changes for entertainment levels too.

I do wonder if the cups have lost out from no longer have relentless replays on frozen pitches waiting for one side to make the mistake that decides the outcome. Perhaps it is more the insistence on playing youth and reserve teams that has destroyed the magic of the cup for most fans.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:16 - Jun 1 with 3195 viewsLord_Lucan

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:07 - Jun 1 by SmithersJones

Yes, you're right. While many of us of a certain vintage can name (misty eyed) the starting XI for the 1981 UEFA Cup Final, the subs bench makes telling reading: Sivell, Steggles, Parkin, Turner, O'Callaghan. None of them came on in either game IIRC.

I bumped into Parkin in The Fat Cat a few years back. He was / is a painter and decorator now.

Crazy days.

Skill is overrated when it comes to football :) (n/t) on 12:20 - Jun 1 with 3181 viewsDyland

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:07 - Jun 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think much was better then.

However, I think there is more skill on show now. Reducing tackling from the game has given players more time on the ball and players are more skilful generally. 3 points for a win and changing the law on goalkeepers picking up pass backs have been very positive changes for entertainment levels too.

I do wonder if the cups have lost out from no longer have relentless replays on frozen pitches waiting for one side to make the mistake that decides the outcome. Perhaps it is more the insistence on playing youth and reserve teams that has destroyed the magic of the cup for most fans.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:20 - Jun 1 with 3183 viewsSmithersJones

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:16 - Jun 1 by Lord_Lucan

I bumped into Parkin in The Fat Cat a few years back. He was / is a painter and decorator now.

Crazy days.

When you think how long people like Parkin, Turner, Lambert etc stayed at the club without ever remotely becoming regulars it's amazing. Gates as well - he was a fringe player for a long time. Maybe that's one of the reasons why we were better at developing youth players - we didn't think "if you're not a regular by the time you're 21 then you're never going to be"
Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:47 - Jun 1 with 3159 viewsLord_Lucan

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:20 - Jun 1 by SmithersJones

When you think how long people like Parkin, Turner, Lambert etc stayed at the club without ever remotely becoming regulars it's amazing. Gates as well - he was a fringe player for a long time. Maybe that's one of the reasons why we were better at developing youth players - we didn't think "if you're not a regular by the time you're 21 then you're never going to be"

Gates was a simply brilliant player, very underrated to this day.

Robson had to change the style and formation just to fit him in - or he was off!

And man did it work. Sensational stuff.

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 13:13 - Jun 1 with 3137 viewsDyland

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:47 - Jun 1 by Lord_Lucan

Robson had to change the style and formation just to fit him in - or he was off!

Indeed. My favourite player as a nipper, followed closely by Alan Brazil.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 13:18 - Jun 1 with 3124 viewsSmithersJones

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:47 - Jun 1 by Lord_Lucan

That was Robson all over. He'd listen to his players, make a change, even indulge them a little bit, but it worked. To your Gates example I'd also add 3 at the back in the 1990 World Cup and Kieron Dyer in central midfield at Newcastle. A lot of other managers (including at least two of his successors here) would see that as weakness.
Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 13:38 - Jun 1 with 3098 viewsSuperfrans

Thijssen was injured more in 1982, wasn't he? He played in the UEFA Cup Final and most matches that season.

We actually would have got more points in 1982 than in 1981 (if the points system hadn't changed from 2 to 3 points the win), but Liverpool were on fire.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 13:38 - Jun 1 with 3097 viewsJ2BLUE

A lack of ambition?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 14:38 - Jun 1 with 3044 viewsmonty_radio

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 12:20 - Jun 1 by SmithersJones

I've noticed before on here that Micky Lambert gets less credit than he should. In 9 years he played well over 200 times and, in that central period, was pretty much a regular.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 15:14 - Jun 1 with 2992 viewsLord_Lucan

Between 1969 and 1982 we signed 14 players. on 13:38 - Jun 1 by Superfrans

Thijssen was injured more in 1982, wasn't he? He played in the UEFA Cup Final and most matches that season.

We actually would have got more points in 1982 than in 1981 (if the points system hadn't changed from 2 to 3 points the win), but Liverpool were on fire.

You might be correct

Here's a thing. Ipswich are the only club that would have won the league under a 3 points system when it was 2 points, what I mean is a different winners outcome. The winners would not have been different at any other time.

It was 1974/75

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024