Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. 12:10 - Jun 8 with 3755 viewsITFC_Forever

Down with this sort of thing....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:14 - Jun 8 with 3738 viewsSuperblue95

Careful now

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:15 - Jun 8 with 3733 viewsSitfcB

Not really a break though as Premier League games will still take place on both weekends.

Also, FA Cup 5th round moved to midweek and replays scrapped for that round.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:20 - Jun 8 with 3710 viewsEastTownBlue

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:15 - Jun 8 by SitfcB

Not really a break though as Premier League games will still take place on both weekends.

The FA continues to assist with downgrading their own cup competition.
Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:27 - Jun 8 with 3682 viewskizaitfc

It's going to be in February from what I have heard, how does that make sense?

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:44 - Jun 8 with 3658 viewsSouperJim

What exactly is the thinking here? I thought in countries that have a winter break, this is due to severe weather?

Very hard not to look at the number of games played by EFL clubs and feel that "fixture congestion" in the PL is a bit of a myth. Also no FA cup 5th round replays will surely be a loss of potential income for EFL clubs.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:48 - Jun 8 with 3629 viewsCaptainObvious

It's definitely needed but shamefully they've forced the FA to move the FA Cup 5th round to midweek when they could have easily moved a round of league matches to midweek.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:48 - Jun 8 with 3629 viewskizaitfc

Two-week break will be structured to ensure Premier League matches will be played every weekend over that period. #SSN

eh?

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:51 - Jun 8 with 3618 viewsdavblue

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:48 - Jun 8 by CaptainObvious

It's definitely needed but shamefully they've forced the FA to move the FA Cup 5th round to midweek when they could have easily moved a round of league matches to midweek.

I actually think it's a little bit of a token gesture.

2 weeks with no games for the team but in reality they will be preparing for the following weekend after the 1st week. Would be better if it was a complete break for 2 weeks and then a week of training before the game so it covered 3 weeks in effect.
Login to get fewer ads

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:51 - Jun 8 with 3617 viewsCaptainObvious

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:44 - Jun 8 by SouperJim

What exactly is the thinking here? I thought in countries that have a winter break, this is due to severe weather?

Very hard not to look at the number of games played by EFL clubs and feel that "fixture congestion" in the PL is a bit of a myth. Also no FA cup 5th round replays will surely be a loss of potential income for EFL clubs.

Don't think Spain have severe weather in January. It's to give players a mental break as much as physical. If you're a player in the World Cup and the Premier League you are playing every month for almost 2 years. You must just get jaded of kicking footballs.

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:52 - Jun 8 with 3611 viewsCaptainObvious

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:51 - Jun 8 by davblue

I actually think it's a little bit of a token gesture.

2 weeks with no games for the team but in reality they will be preparing for the following weekend after the 1st week. Would be better if it was a complete break for 2 weeks and then a week of training before the game so it covered 3 weeks in effect.

Exactly, most of the top players get a 2 week break when they are rested for the F.A. Cup. It should be 4 weeks break ideally.

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:04 - Jun 8 with 3577 viewsTJS

Is this designed to try and improve the 'best league in the world's' pathetic performance in the Champions League ? - 4 wins in 25 years.
Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:04 - Jun 8 with 3572 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's a good thing, just a shame the FA Cup is further devalued to assist with it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:11 - Jun 8 with 3554 viewsFenboyBlue

Has this been done to give England a better chance of winning a quarter final ?
Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:32 - Jun 8 with 3508 viewsSouperJim

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:51 - Jun 8 by CaptainObvious

Don't think Spain have severe weather in January. It's to give players a mental break as much as physical. If you're a player in the World Cup and the Premier League you are playing every month for almost 2 years. You must just get jaded of kicking footballs.

Can't the poor lambs just "accidentally" pick up a 5th yellow in injury time like they've always done?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:36 - Jun 8 with 3499 viewsvapour_trail

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:11 - Jun 8 by FenboyBlue

Has this been done to give England a better chance of winning a quarter final ?

Reaching a quarter final.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:39 - Jun 8 with 3496 viewsFenboyBlue

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:36 - Jun 8 by vapour_trail

Reaching a quarter final.

I hope they've got that open top bus ready. Heady days could be returning.
Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 14:00 - Jun 8 with 3450 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:04 - Jun 8 by TJS

Is this designed to try and improve the 'best league in the world's' pathetic performance in the Champions League ? - 4 wins in 25 years.

This is always used as a stick to beat the Prem with.

But it depends whether 'best' means the most entertaining / competitive, or whether it means the best standard.

I have always taken it to mean that its the most entertaining league, and really this is supported by the amount the broadcasters are prepared to pay for the rights.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 14:00 - Jun 8 with 3449 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 12:15 - Jun 8 by SitfcB

Each team will get a two week rest period.

So that is a break.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 15:48 - Jun 8 with 3388 viewsitfcjoe

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 14:00 - Jun 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

This is always used as a stick to beat the Prem with.

But it depends whether 'best' means the most entertaining / competitive, or whether it means the best standard.

I have always taken it to mean that its the most entertaining league, and really this is supported by the amount the broadcasters are prepared to pay for the rights.

With more money going to the big 6 I wonder if this will continue to be the case or whether the gap will widen so far as it to be uncompetitive.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 16:58 - Jun 8 with 3350 viewsgainsboroughblue

Unless you know in advance when the worst weather is, it's a pointless idea. I mean, we had the worst snowfall this year in mid March.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 18:12 - Jun 8 with 3322 viewsITFC_Forever

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 16:58 - Jun 8 by gainsboroughblue

Unless you know in advance when the worst weather is, it's a pointless idea. I mean, we had the worst snowfall this year in mid March.

I thought myself to begin with, but it’s not often conditions postpone a Prem game, that brand won’t allow it.

Although I’m not sure how 3-4 inches of snow around a Champ ground is any different to the same amount around a Prem one....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 18:50 - Jun 8 with 3298 viewsvapour_trail

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 16:58 - Jun 8 by gainsboroughblue

I believe (from the annals of my addled mind admittedly) that weather wise, Feb is the optimum time for a break in the uk.

And they can all fly off to the arabian sunshine for some exhibition games against each other.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 18:55 - Jun 8 with 3294 viewsbournemouthblue

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 13:04 - Jun 8 by TJS

There was a phase where English clubs were regularly in the finals

I believe there has been some tax alteration in recent years which has given the edge to Spanish teams on transfer fees?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Winter breaks for the Prem in 2019-20. on 20:49 - Jun 8 with 3247 viewsronnyd

If it,s done to give players a mid season break then why do some Prem clubs rush to do a lucrative friendly when they have a spare week due to losing in the previous round of the cup?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024