Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the last thing you learnt? 19:15 - Jun 30 with 3619 viewsSwansea_Blue

And I don’t mean that Danny Dyer is able to provide astute summaries of Brexit progress. Or that we should have sacked Mick a lot earlier.

I’ve been thinking about learning something new as life’s lacking a bit of zip these days (I’m tending towards surfing, but that’s by the by).

It got me thinking that a lot of us must get stuck in ruts, even if we don’t realise and/or it doesn’t bother us.. We like what we like, we probably stick to the same hobbies and pass times, etc. About 12 years ago now I learnt to scuba dive and went from knowing nothing to my Advanced Open Water qualification over a year or two. It was f*cking amazing (‘scuse French). Sadly I haven’t kept it going, but I vividly remember that the thrill of learning something completely new and being competent at it gave me such a buzz at the time. I’d like to get feeling back again..

So let’s be ‘avin you. What have you done lately to learn something new? In the most extreme cases it would be completely different and out of your comfort zone, but it doesn’t have to be. I may even change my mind about surfing if something else grabs my attention.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:20 - Jun 30 with 3005 viewsJ2BLUE

Matched betting. It might not be a hobby but it's an incredibly useful income stream if needed and can compliment other hobbies by proving plenty of extra cash.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:22 - Jun 30 with 2994 viewsSteve_M

People I know who surf love it, doesn't really appeal for me but as it does you go for it.

When I started to learn Russian a few years back it really felt like using a different part of my brain, more like hard work now and I still not very good but....

I'm covering for a colleague at work for the next couple of months so on a fairly steep learning curve at work at the moment; amazing how much more energised I feel as a result.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:23 - Jun 30 with 2992 viewsBlueBadger

What this is, how to spot it and manage it at ward level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperosmolar_hyperglycemic_state

[Post edited 30 Jun 2018 19:25]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:34 - Jun 30 with 2965 viewsMelford

I got one of these last week

Very different to playing a guitar/bass or even a keyboard, even though it has one. Blowing into it and breathing is the tricky bit.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:39 - Jun 30 with 2955 viewsKeno

Getting a welsh springer spaniel out to the sea on a hot day is a long winded and time consuming process

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:40 - Jun 30 with 2956 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I've been in a similar rut lately. Have recently started studying jazz piano more, but I've also got a strong urge to start learning sign language. No particular reason - I don't know anyone with hearing issues or anyone else who does it - but I just feel like it'd be a worthwhile skill with which to enrich myself.
What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:45 - Jun 30 with 2930 viewsStokieBlue

Cooking.

I love it and I find it relaxing and fun. As you get more confidence you can get more ambitious.

We will see how tonight's turns out after the football.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:48 - Jun 30 with 2914 viewsJ2BLUE

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:45 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

Cooking.

I love it and I find it relaxing and fun. As you get more confidence you can get more ambitious.

SB

Agreed, I cooked a couple of hash browns in the toaster rather than the oven earlier.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:53 - Jun 30 with 2894 viewsStokieBlue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:48 - Jun 30 by J2BLUE

Agreed, I cooked a couple of hash browns in the toaster rather than the oven earlier.

You're on your way!

SB

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:57 - Jun 30 with 2884 viewsfactual_blue

Nordic Walking.

Becoming involved in local tourism work

OU MA degree

I'm surprised I found time to go to work. Although as a civil servant I just sat around doing nothing for 37 years until my solid gold pension (with iridium filigree) was due.

(I mention the pension only because I know it annoys some people)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:04 - Jun 30 with 2863 viewsMelford

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:45 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

Cooking.

SB

I find it relaxing and fun is not what I think about cooking

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:09 - Jun 30 with 2852 viewsStokieBlue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:04 - Jun 30 by Melford

I find it relaxing and fun is not what I think about cooking

That's because it's your job :).

I'm not sure I'd find cooking for people all day relaxing either. For the family and friends I love it.

Trying some Peruvian cuisine this evening.

SB

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:14 - Jun 30 with 2835 viewsMeadowlark

CPR. Attended a first aid course this morning!
What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:41 - Jun 30 with 2788 viewsMelford

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:09 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

I'm not sure I'd find cooking for people all day relaxing either. For the family and friends I love it.

SB

To be honest I have fallen back in love with it since I got out of the microwave and deep fryer game and changed jobs
I like getting in on a Monday when I know it's going to be dead and there will be half a joint of beef or pork left from Sunday Roast and some cooked veg that didn't get used. I have a dry stores room full of herbs and spices, tinned tomatoes, jars of roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes, pesto, artichokes, rice pasta, noodles. My garden at home full of herbs.
I love cooking stuff really slowly, get it all sweated off in a hot pan, get the sauce in and just tend it on the lowest heat, letting it all infuse, tasting from time to time and adding stuff. This week I have made and sold out of Beef Stroganoff, Beef Madras and a lovely Chorizo,mushroom and sun-dried tomato pasta dish.
I have free reign and am actively encouraged to cook what I want, order anything I want in make it with.

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:46 - Jun 30 with 2769 viewsStokieBlue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:41 - Jun 30 by Melford

To be honest I have fallen back in love with it since I got out of the microwave and deep fryer game and changed jobs
I like getting in on a Monday when I know it's going to be dead and there will be half a joint of beef or pork left from Sunday Roast and some cooked veg that didn't get used. I have a dry stores room full of herbs and spices, tinned tomatoes, jars of roasted peppers and sun dried tomatoes, pesto, artichokes, rice pasta, noodles. My garden at home full of herbs.
I love cooking stuff really slowly, get it all sweated off in a hot pan, get the sauce in and just tend it on the lowest heat, letting it all infuse, tasting from time to time and adding stuff. This week I have made and sold out of Beef Stroganoff, Beef Madras and a lovely Chorizo,mushroom and sun-dried tomato pasta dish.
I have free reign and am actively encouraged to cook what I want, order anything I want in make it with.

That sounds great, I'm glad you've fallen back in love with it and get to express yourself and enjoy yourself. Must be really nice to go from a dictated menu with no freedom to cooking what you want and what people enjoy.

Sweetcorn panna cotta about to come out of the fridge at the end of the match to go with the main. Will it be a puddle.....

SB

What was the last thing you learnt? on 21:22 - Jun 30 with 2715 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:09 - Jun 30 by StokieBlue

SB

Guinea pig?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

What was the last thing you learnt? on 21:54 - Jun 30 with 2683 viewsStokieBlue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 21:22 - Jun 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

Guinea pig?

I had that about a decade ago when I was over there but not very easy to source here! Neither are llama or alpaca :).

Made a causa with sweetcorn panna cotta and burnt corn. Most Peruvian I could manage. Ceviche for starters.

Time for the dessert wine I fear!

SB

What was the last thing you learnt? on 22:55 - Jun 30 with 2647 viewsfactual_blue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 19:23 - Jun 30 by BlueBadger

What this is, how to spot it and manage it at ward level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperosmolar_hyperglycemic_state

[Post edited 30 Jun 2018 19:25]

Blimey - I was diagnosed with diabetes with a reading of 28 mmol/L.

No wonder they warned Mrs Factual I might go unconscious overnight.

What was the last thing you learnt? on 23:08 - Jun 30 with 2638 viewsGuthrum

In terms of new hobbies, was persuaded to start playing Pokemon Go while off work for a couple of months recovering from an injury. Good excercise, quite addictive and surprisingly sociable (got to know a whole new bunch of friends).
[Post edited 30 Jun 2018 23:09]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What was the last thing you learnt? on 23:33 - Jun 30 with 2605 viewsBlueBadger

What was the last thing you learnt? on 20:14 - Jun 30 by Meadowlark

CPR. Attended a first aid course this morning!

I'll never down vote anyone who attempt to learn proper CPR.
Decent chest compressions save lives.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What was the last thing you learnt? on 08:53 - Jul 1 with 2466 viewsJohnny_Boy

What was the last thing you learnt? on 23:08 - Jun 30 by Guthrum

In terms of new hobbies, was persuaded to start playing Pokemon Go while off work for a couple of months recovering from an injury. Good excercise, quite addictive and surprisingly sociable (got to know a whole new bunch of friends).
[Post edited 30 Jun 2018 23:09]

Whilst I was in the States, I was drunkenly stumbling home @ 3am & was convinced two shadey characters were following me/being super sketchy. Turns out both were super nice stoner yoofs, just ambling around trying to find Pokemon Go secret monsters.
What was the last thing you learnt? on 08:54 - Jul 1 with 2466 viewsDanTheMan

How to write Go.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What was the last thing you learnt? on 11:07 - Jul 1 with 2427 viewsfactual_blue

What was the last thing you learnt? on 08:54 - Jul 1 by DanTheMan

How to write Go.

I don't wish to worry you, but I learned to write 'go' when I was about five.

What was the last thing you learnt? on 11:59 - Jul 1 with 2404 viewsWD19

That Preston is a City.
What was the last thing you learnt? on 12:12 - Jul 1 with 2400 viewsbuoyant

How to do up and service outboard engines and simultaneously and completely unintentionally how to piss off the sailing fraternity
[Post edited 1 Jul 2018 12:24]

UTT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024