Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Davis resigns 07:55 - Jul 9 with 8091 viewsHerbivore

Brexit is an utter shambles, it can't be delivered and certainly not by a weak and divided Tory government. The Brexiters need to actually start getting behind their country and put what is best for it ahead of their own selfish whims and accept that we need to rethink the whole thing and probably need a second referendum to stop this monumental cock up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

David Davis resigns on 10:30 - Jul 9 with 2580 viewsBluefish

David Davis resigns on 08:13 - Jul 9 by stig4532

The will of the people cannot be ignored just because of the gross incompetence of HMG

If there was a vote for 0% income tax, 3 day working weeks and free beer it would win by a landslide. Not sure the people are always best to decide what is best for the country

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

David Davis resigns on 10:32 - Jul 9 with 2564 viewsgiant_stow

David Davis resigns on 10:27 - Jul 9 by Darth_Koont

Probably. Although the rebate has always been up for discussion. It's not part of our terms for being an EU member and it has been renegotiated since it first came in. And I know we're talking about billions, but it's still small beer in the wider scheme.

More importantly, even if Brexit is put out of its misery, I think we need to establish what kind of role we want to have within the EU after this — and in the world. We need to grow up, at least politically.

Keeping that rebate would be important symbolically, even if it's relatively small in terms of overall budget. It would also be an easy concession for them to make, which might help some deal with it.

I think we have a lot to offer the EU - if nothing else, a lesson in not ignoring disquiet, a lesson on the importance of the nation-state and a counter-balance to the Euro.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

David Davis resigns on 10:33 - Jul 9 with 2563 viewsDubtractor

David Davis resigns on 10:30 - Jul 9 by Bluefish

If there was a vote for 0% income tax, 3 day working weeks and free beer it would win by a landslide. Not sure the people are always best to decide what is best for the country

[Post edited 9 Jul 2018 10:33]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

David Davis resigns on 10:33 - Jul 9 with 2556 viewsNo9

David Davis resigns on 09:28 - Jul 9 by Guthrum

Not really. After all, MPs are supposed to be representatives of the will of their constituents, not of the interests of their party. Perhaps it might force them to canvass more widely in between elections.

"MPs are supposed to be representatives of the will of their constituents"

Yes, and this is somethign Mrs May has turned her back on.
David Davis resigns on 10:33 - Jul 9 with 2561 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 10:02 - Jul 9 by crazyblue68

52% wanted it. So it is the will of the people mate.

37% of the electorate, who are not all of the people. I know arithmetic can be challenging but do please make an effort.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

David Davis resigns on 10:44 - Jul 9 with 2530 viewsGuthrum

David Davis resigns on 10:05 - Jul 9 by crazyblue68

Its done. We had a referendum. 52% voted to leave. You can keep voting until you get the right result for you. Thats not how democracy works.

But neither can you stop voting just because you have the "right" answer.

If it worked like that, the 1975 vote would invalidate the 2016 one.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

David Davis resigns on 10:46 - Jul 9 with 2519 viewsStokieBlue

David Davis resigns on 10:33 - Jul 9 by WeWereZombies

37% of the electorate, who are not all of the people. I know arithmetic can be challenging but do please make an effort.

I really hate this number.

No votes are ever quoted in terms of the electorate who are able to vote, they are always quoted in terms of the actual voters. If you don't vote then you don't get a say and shouldn't be included in the statistics.

It's statistical gymnastics in an attempt to make the numbers look better and stick it to the other side. It detracts from the remain arguments in my opinion as it looks petty.

Regardless of the above, it's gone all silly now, it just needs to be stopped regardless of the moaning from the electorate.

SB
[Post edited 9 Jul 2018 10:47]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

David Davis resigns on 10:47 - Jul 9 with 2516 viewsSwansea_Blue

Dominic Raab then.

Edit. Sounds like the perfect replacement:

[Post edited 9 Jul 2018 11:02]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

David Davis resigns on 10:56 - Jul 9 with 2507 viewsDarth_Koont

It's also telling that the government hasn't been stumped and stymied by the future pros and cons of a life outside the EU. But by the present-day reality of our existing relationship with the EU and how difficult and costly this is to unpick.

Basically, we've had politicians campaigning for leaving something they didn't understand in the first place.
Pinewood is right to talk about the UK facing other bigger problems that are independent of the EU. So the general self-serving attitude and/or incompetence of our politicians and government is surely something we need to sort out first.

Pronouns: He/Him

David Davis resigns on 10:58 - Jul 9 with 2497 viewseireblue

David Davis resigns on 10:01 - Jul 9 by crazyblue68

You still banging on about a second referendum? Thats not how democracy works. An intelligent guy like yourself knows that. Whatever we voted will stay as it is. God you are boring. We cant change it. Please start to realise that. We have to rely on an inept government to deliver thats the real problem. They are all spineless idiots. Love Maggie or loathe her, l bet she would have got just what she wanted out of this

Is it really an inept Government.

Or were the civil service and experts correct.

The EU was on overall benefit.

Therefore the act of leaving will have a negative impact, it will be just worse, because of the inept Government.
David Davis resigns on 11:01 - Jul 9 with 2487 viewsPilgrimblue

The trouble is Herbi that while the Country as a whole vote leave the MPs as a whole didn't. Too many MPs couldn't give a damn about the electorate and with the media behind Remain, it never stood a chance.
Very little point in having second referendum as outcome, even with same result would change nothing. Business wants to keep in the Euro as do MPs and they're in control so fxxx the people.
Going back with tail between our legs is not going to go down very well. We'll be no better off and still under EU control.
David Davis resigns on 11:03 - Jul 9 with 2481 viewsSwansea_Blue

David Davis resigns on 11:01 - Jul 9 by Pilgrimblue

The trouble is Herbi that while the Country as a whole vote leave the MPs as a whole didn't. Too many MPs couldn't give a damn about the electorate and with the media behind Remain, it never stood a chance.
Very little point in having second referendum as outcome, even with same result would change nothing. Business wants to keep in the Euro as do MPs and they're in control so fxxx the people.
Going back with tail between our legs is not going to go down very well. We'll be no better off and still under EU control.

The "country as a whole" didn't vote to leave. We're not in the Euro. Otherwise agree.

David Davis resigns on 11:06 - Jul 9 with 2477 viewsGuthrum

David Davis resigns on 09:38 - Jul 9 by StokieBlue

Why would the EU accept a reversal which means we keep our veto and rebate?

They would be fools to do so.

So the options are :

1) Carry on with the soft-brexit which is worse than actually staying
2) Stay but without the rebate or veto.

What a total shower.

SB

I disagree. Even with the rebate and veto, it would massively strengthen the EU should the UK decide to remain in. Not just politically, but financially also, preventing even more burden being thrown onto Germany and France. Given what's happening in places like Hungary, any endorsememt of the EU is a bonus.

Yes, having the old troublemaker back might annoy some of the outright federalists, but they are only one element in the EU and have taken several knocks recently.

David Davis resigns on 11:13 - Jul 9 with 2464 viewsStokieBlue

David Davis resigns on 11:06 - Jul 9 by Guthrum

I disagree. Even with the rebate and veto, it would massively strengthen the EU should the UK decide to remain in. Not just politically, but financially also, preventing even more burden being thrown onto Germany and France. Given what's happening in places like Hungary, any endorsememt of the EU is a bonus.

Yes, having the old troublemaker back might annoy some of the outright federalists, but they are only one element in the EU and have taken several knocks recently.

I think that all depends on how much good will is left within the EU.

Yes, economically and militarily they would be much stronger, however rationality might not be the main driver. They might want to punish us for the colossal waste of time and the fact a large portion of our population don't want to be in the EU with them.

You might well be right, however I don't think we would have the extra elements we had before and why should we.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

David Davis resigns on 11:13 - Jul 9 with 2468 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 10:46 - Jul 9 by StokieBlue

I really hate this number.

No votes are ever quoted in terms of the electorate who are able to vote, they are always quoted in terms of the actual voters. If you don't vote then you don't get a say and shouldn't be included in the statistics.

It's statistical gymnastics in an attempt to make the numbers look better and stick it to the other side. It detracts from the remain arguments in my opinion as it looks petty.

Regardless of the above, it's gone all silly now, it just needs to be stopped regardless of the moaning from the electorate.

SB
[Post edited 9 Jul 2018 10:47]

We are a divided state, you cannot ignore that.

David Davis resigns on 11:16 - Jul 9 with 2466 viewsPilgrimblue

David Davis resigns on 11:03 - Jul 9 by Swansea_Blue

The "country as a whole" didn't vote to leave. We're not in the Euro. Otherwise agree.

Bit picky! Sorry a majority did which was the point and of course I meant EU.

What I don't get is that EU needs us as it exports twice as must as we do to them so I must assume that the only reason EU is playing hard ball is because they want to penalise us for leaving the Club and of course our contribution is a big factor in the EU budget.
David Davis resigns on 11:19 - Jul 9 with 2455 viewsSwansea_Blue

David Davis resigns on 11:16 - Jul 9 by Pilgrimblue

What I don't get is that EU needs us as it exports twice as must as we do to them so I must assume that the only reason EU is playing hard ball is because they want to penalise us for leaving the Club and of course our contribution is a big factor in the EU budget.

Yes, I'm a pedantic tvvat

David Davis resigns on 11:24 - Jul 9 with 2434 viewsNo9

" I don't get is that EU needs us as it exports twice as must as we do to them"

You should look at the import / export details.

The UK imports a lot of materials & componetns to make things, just as one small example, Rolls Royce cars relay on almost everything to come into the UK to build the cars.

The energy industry relies on almost everthing to come from the EU to function.

Etc. etc. etc.
David Davis resigns on 11:32 - Jul 9 with 2423 viewsPilgrimblue

David Davis resigns on 11:13 - Jul 9 by WeWereZombies

We are a divided state, you cannot ignore that.

What you on about! Germany France Italy Spain are just the same but they've not chosen to have referendums.
Cameron was an idiot and only used it to keep in office and then failed to deliver and left May with poisoned chalice. Shame Jezza didn't win last election as he'd make it even worse!
David Davis resigns on 11:37 - Jul 9 with 2412 viewsNo9

David Davis resigns on 11:32 - Jul 9 by Pilgrimblue

What you on about! Germany France Italy Spain are just the same but they've not chosen to have referendums.
Cameron was an idiot and only used it to keep in office and then failed to deliver and left May with poisoned chalice. Shame Jezza didn't win last election as he'd make it even worse!

Cameron was an idiot?
You don't think that him allowing Pickles to align the tories with a far right group in the EU had anythign to do with him calling the Referendum?
You don't think the tories now aligning themselves with a far right Swedish group have anything to do with it?

There are many factions to this all tory and all suppoorted by some r.w. media
David Davis resigns on 11:37 - Jul 9 with 2418 viewsDarth_Koont

The import/export thing needs to be seen in its rightful context — as a dependence that was always going to put us on the back foot in negotiations.

Yes, the EU export more to us but it's about 15% of their exports. The EU however is almost 50% of our exports. And crucially they also hold the keys to us exporting our financial services which are our largest export.

When you add in how many of our exports (EU and non-EU) which are part of manufacturing and supply chains that need to operate across borders smoothly and without extra tariffs then we're in a pretty shyte position to be dictating terms.

That's why the political posturing about being prepared to settle for a "no-deal Brexit" was nothing short of an offensive lie.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2018 11:38]

Pronouns: He/Him

David Davis resigns on 11:38 - Jul 9 with 2414 viewsGuthrum

David Davis resigns on 11:13 - Jul 9 by StokieBlue

Yes, economically and militarily they would be much stronger, however rationality might not be the main driver. They might want to punish us for the colossal waste of time and the fact a large portion of our population don't want to be in the EU with them.

You might well be right, however I don't think we would have the extra elements we had before and why should we.

SB

The other point is that we haven't actually left the EU yet, thus have not actually given up any of our privileges.

Withdrawing our invocation of Article 50 should restore things to the status quo ante. The only other available mechanism would be to force an exit when the timeline expires, an entirely counterproductive measure if they want to keep the thing together and not look like idiots themselves.

Trying to make us leave then reapply might result in us simply not bothering to do so.

Indeed, it might force some concessions from Brussels to prevent the situation occurring again in a few years.

David Davis resigns on 11:43 - Jul 9 with 2394 viewsNo9

David Davis resigns on 11:13 - Jul 9 by StokieBlue

SB

I have never experienced any EU persons or organisation wanting to punish the UK. I have experienced a disaste for the abuse of the UK's privelidged position within the EU.
Many believe they will be better off without the UK which they see as a drag anchor.
The UK will punish itself mainly because of governemtn incompetence over the way in which business has been conducted since 2010.
Handing massivce sums of money and very lucrative subsidies / contracts to EU firms was not clever was it?
David Davis resigns on 11:46 - Jul 9 with 2390 viewsWeWereZombies

David Davis resigns on 11:32 - Jul 9 by Pilgrimblue

You ask what I am on about, and then you tacitly admit I have a point by comparing us with other states, interesting.

For what is worth, I think structurally we have a much more divided society than other Northern European states, our historical strengths from language and commerce disguise this but over time we will pay for ignoring the problem.

David Davis resigns on 16:00 - Jul 9 with 2319 viewsPilgrimblue

David Davis resigns on 11:46 - Jul 9 by WeWereZombies

You ask what I am on about, and then you tacitly admit I have a point by comparing us with other states, interesting.

For what is worth, I think structurally we have a much more divided society than other Northern European states, our historical strengths from language and commerce disguise this but over time we will pay for ignoring the problem.

But you didn't!

Not sure we have as it would be difficult to judge who has more divided society. However I agree we are different and that other states are more accepting but think that underneath they maybe just as divided, only nobody has pushed them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024