Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? 08:14 - Jul 24 with 3229 viewsMullet

Taking aim at the damage done at the end of last season by the negativity and how it affects the players, without blaming the fans responsible (not that they'd accept that) or mincing his words. That might not actually mean much, but when put with his other less diplomatic interviews we're seeing someone decisively make an impression aren't we?

It will be interesting how and when criticising players publicly makes a difference, he has the advantage of not being attached to previous issues, and his players not being here long enough to bear the brunt of his ire. However, in six months time you'd hope we're not hearing stuff like this.

I think it's pretty clear what the scale of the job is, what shoes he has to fill and how we'll probably see sales to fund much more in terms of signings. The derby suddenly looks like an early watershed moment.

Not on sky, the scum at their weakest for years and if he gets that victory it well, it just makes such a great platform to build on regardless of how the prior games go. If we can start anywhere approaching how we did last season he's got a good chance of getting back that spirit of 3 or so years ago which was such a weapon week in week out I felt.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:18 - Jul 24 with 2672 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I really wouldn't expect much from this season, let alone a game in early September being 'watershed'. We are moving in the right direction, at last, lets wait until 2019/20 before thinking we are going to give the scum a beating.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:21 - Jul 24 with 2655 viewsnrb1985

Agree.

I actually think we are in for a real struggle this season as he tries to "de-Mick" the players. When players are so pre programmed it's hard to turn it around in just one pre season.

I expect us to finish lower than last season but to have a better season in 19/20. We may even end up in relegation fight this season but I still think Hurst is a good long term appointment.
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:23 - Jul 24 with 2635 viewsMullet

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:18 - Jul 24 by Cheltenham_Blue

I really wouldn't expect much from this season, let alone a game in early September being 'watershed'. We are moving in the right direction, at last, lets wait until 2019/20 before thinking we are going to give the scum a beating.

Why wait until then? That makes no sense. Two sides early in the season, literally anything can happen.

Do you really think there won't be huge hyperbole made of finally beating them after how they've behaved and the fact Mick didn't manage it? They'll have the printing press warmed up all day.

I'd say if we're struggling at all and that's our first win you'll see a huge swing in positivity behind PH and the players, and vice versa. That builds momentum in either direction. That is the one blessing with a new manager coming in this summer. Anything can happen.

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:26 - Jul 24 with 2589 viewsOsborneOneNil

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:21 - Jul 24 by nrb1985

Agree.

I actually think we are in for a real struggle this season as he tries to "de-Mick" the players. When players are so pre programmed it's hard to turn it around in just one pre season.

I expect us to finish lower than last season but to have a better season in 19/20. We may even end up in relegation fight this season but I still think Hurst is a good long term appointment.

I’m with you on the job of ‘de-Micking’ the players. The tough shoes to fill that Mullet speaks of can be done by playing entertaining, front foot football and not the dross of the past few years.
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:31 - Jul 24 with 2544 viewsnrb1985

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:26 - Jul 24 by OsborneOneNil

I’m with you on the job of ‘de-Micking’ the players. The tough shoes to fill that Mullet speaks of can be done by playing entertaining, front foot football and not the dross of the past few years.

I wouldn't hold your breathe mate! They have had 5 years of awful, albeit sometimes effective, hoofball.

A lot dpeends on Dozzell I would say, can't remember the last time we had a midfielder who came to get the ball from the back four as opposed to just turning his back on them.

That said, going into the season pinning hopes on an 18 year old who's been out for a year isn't great either!
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 8:32]
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:33 - Jul 24 with 2517 viewsMullet

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:26 - Jul 24 by OsborneOneNil

You'll not enjoy Hurst or the fact Robinson and Edwards are runners and workers I suspect then.

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:36 - Jul 24 with 2470 viewsReuser_is_God

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:33 - Jul 24 by Mullet

You'll not enjoy Hurst or the fact Robinson and Edwards are runners and workers I suspect then.

Who’s Robinson?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:38 - Jul 24 with 2455 viewsMullet

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:36 - Jul 24 by Reuser_is_God

Who’s Robinson?

Harrison rather.

Login to get fewer ads

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:43 - Jul 24 with 2420 viewseddiespearitt03

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:21 - Jul 24 by nrb1985

Agree.

Milne just tried to appease the supporters despite the rubbish we were watching . Evans decided to soldier on and everyone suffered.

We will be ok this season and we WILL see more exciting football too.
Once the new manager gets the kind of team he wants I feel it could mean the end of the road for some .
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:46 - Jul 24 with 2390 viewsSuperfrans

If you talk to the players, they say that Mick didn't tell them to boot the ball long, not pass short, or to be less positive, per se... but it's clear that whatever he did tell them made them more risk averse, more likely to play the percentages, which means not trying to beat the last man on the flank. This is clearly what Hurst is getting at.

It is interesting in Hurst's latest comments how he is keen to emphasise that he is not digging anyone out, but wants them to be more positive. There is a clear pattern in his comments over the past few weeks - early statement of intent, no player is safe, initial performances not good enough, but they're beginning to understand what he's after, now trying to encourage them to be more confident, more positive.

I'm impressed by Hurst's use of psychology in this way. I'm still nervous that he is reliant on so many new lower league players - albeit around a Bart-Chambo-Skuse-Waghorn spine which has been our mainstay over the last season and (aside from Waghorn) several seasons before that.

But if he is getting in the players to play his own way and can get another 2/3 before the deadline (which should be possible) we should be set. That said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Looking forward to MK Dons tonight.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:47 - Jul 24 with 2381 viewsITFC_Forever

I took it that PH wants to remove the safety-first approach, which has been in place for years... not the negativity that the numbskulls created at the end of Mick's reign.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:48 - Jul 24 with 2371 viewsReuser_is_God

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:46 - Jul 24 by Superfrans

If you talk to the players, they say that Mick didn't tell them to boot the ball long, not pass short, or to be less positive, per se... but it's clear that whatever he did tell them made them more risk averse, more likely to play the percentages, which means not trying to beat the last man on the flank. This is clearly what Hurst is getting at.

It is interesting in Hurst's latest comments how he is keen to emphasise that he is not digging anyone out, but wants them to be more positive. There is a clear pattern in his comments over the past few weeks - early statement of intent, no player is safe, initial performances not good enough, but they're beginning to understand what he's after, now trying to encourage them to be more confident, more positive.

I'm impressed by Hurst's use of psychology in this way. I'm still nervous that he is reliant on so many new lower league players - albeit around a Bart-Chambo-Skuse-Waghorn spine which has been our mainstay over the last season and (aside from Waghorn) several seasons before that.

But if he is getting in the players to play his own way and can get another 2/3 before the deadline (which should be possible) we should be set. That said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Looking forward to MK Dons tonight.

Spot on.

Evans out

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:48 - Jul 24 with 2370 viewsReuser_is_God

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:47 - Jul 24 by ITFC_Forever

I took it that PH wants to remove the safety-first approach, which has been in place for years... not the negativity that the numbskulls created at the end of Mick's reign.

Absolutely, there is no spin to be put on the comments he’s made.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2018 8:49]

Evans out

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:50 - Jul 24 with 2346 viewsnrb1985

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:48 - Jul 24 by Reuser_is_God

Spot on.

Booting the ball aimlessly forward so it becomes a bun fight is the opposite of playing percentages.
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:51 - Jul 24 with 2334 viewsHerbivore

You don't think playing in a horrible atmosphere also makes players risk averse with the ball? The players themselves said the atmosphere last season affected them at times.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:54 - Jul 24 with 2319 viewsOsborneOneNil

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:33 - Jul 24 by Mullet

I’ve been delighted with Hurst so far, just his attitude and intent. I’m happy with his recruitment too. I appreciate he works from a solid base, and he also wants front foot football once in possession with the use of pace. Harrison, I’m delighted with this signing having seen him play on numerous occasions for the Gas. I go with a mate who’s a Gas head. Edwards, seems positive too. The fact they’re ‘hardworking’ is a good thing, Mullet.

Oh, how good was our goal v Barnet. Skuse playing a delightful forward pass to get things moving. Lovely to see.
Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:54 - Jul 24 with 2316 viewsMullet

That would make sense if you ignore the contrast with the first couple of months of last season, to the last couple of months and how the goals/chances dried up.

Given his last statement and the clear sense he's taken a broad set of opinions and video on players as well as what he's seen in training I don't think he'll be unaware of that at all.

When he talks about not b0llocking a player or getting on to them if something doesn't come off, that's not Mick's MO during a game which is where he's talking about there. I think Frans is right above about the layering of good/bad he's coming out with the psychology he's playing with.

Would be brilliant to see that come off. We've been mentally fragile and susceptible to being bullied out of games for far too long now.

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:00 - Jul 24 with 2267 viewsITFC_Forever

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:51 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

You don't think playing in a horrible atmosphere also makes players risk averse with the ball? The players themselves said the atmosphere last season affected them at times.

That doesn't help either. But we have been playing with the handbrake on long before the atmosphere started to turn toxic in the last third of the season.

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:01 - Jul 24 with 2256 viewsMullet

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:54 - Jul 24 by OsborneOneNil

I’ve been delighted with Hurst so far, just his attitude and intent. I’m happy with his recruitment too. I appreciate he works from a solid base, and he also wants front foot football once in possession with the use of pace. Harrison, I’m delighted with this signing having seen him play on numerous occasions for the Gas. I go with a mate who’s a Gas head. Edwards, seems positive too. The fact they’re ‘hardworking’ is a good thing, Mullet.

Oh, how good was our goal v Barnet. Skuse playing a delightful forward pass to get things moving. Lovely to see.

It's nice to see you finally give Cole some credit, it's good to hear we're making solid investments too Harrison looks to me to be someone who can do a bit of everything but not consistently.

That's one area where PH like Mick, excels. Here's the plan and here's a dozen 1-0 wins a season. The only question mark would be their injury records, he's missed a bit of football and so has Edwards hasn't he?

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:02 - Jul 24 with 2248 viewsITFC_Forever

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:54 - Jul 24 by Mullet

That would make sense if you ignore the contrast with the first couple of months of last season, to the last couple of months and how the goals/chances dried up.

Given his last statement and the clear sense he's taken a broad set of opinions and video on players as well as what he's seen in training I don't think he'll be unaware of that at all.

When he talks about not b0llocking a player or getting on to them if something doesn't come off, that's not Mick's MO during a game which is where he's talking about there. I think Frans is right above about the layering of good/bad he's coming out with the psychology he's playing with.

Would be brilliant to see that come off. We've been mentally fragile and susceptible to being bullied out of games for far too long now.

I'm talking long-term..... our default way of playing has been with the shackles and handbrake on for years now.
As soon as MMc released it slightly, he was back to default as soon as one thing went wrong.

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:02 - Jul 24 with 2248 viewshype313

Agreed, I think we were victims of our own early success with our safety first option. When Mick came in he had no choice but to make us risk averse as we desperately needed points, unfortunately this then became the blueprint for the following years, and that's not a dig at Mick, it was just the ethos from top down.

The first few months last season showed us that we can play on the deck and play attractive football, however we then got decimated by injuries, which in turn made Mick go back to the safety first approach.

I don't buy this notion that Mick just told the players to lump it all the time, and whilst this worked to certain degree with Murphy, I don't believe this is what Mick wanted, he was just making the best of the tools he had.

I like the idea that Hurst is trying to instil positive front foot football, but the proof will be in the pudding.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:04 - Jul 24 with 2228 viewsReuser_is_God

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 08:51 - Jul 24 by Herbivore

Players were risk averse long before the atmosphere became negative.

Evans out

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:05 - Jul 24 with 2212 viewsMullet

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:02 - Jul 24 by ITFC_Forever

I'm talking long-term..... our default way of playing has been with the shackles and handbrake on for years now.
As soon as MMc released it slightly, he was back to default as soon as one thing went wrong.

But long term we had a season with a 27 goal striker and months of consistently being up there in goals and goals per games, as well as a start where we hit "playoff form" proper to stay up. Then we had Tom Lawrence, Joniesta and Celina recruited alongside Fraser as well as Rowe etc.

Isn't that longer term pattern then about keeping players like that fit or simply here? Something the new staff look very promising with judging by the footage we've seen.

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:07 - Jul 24 with 2197 viewsHerbivore

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:00 - Jul 24 by ITFC_Forever

That doesn't help either. But we have been playing with the handbrake on long before the atmosphere started to turn toxic in the last third of the season.

The atmosphere hadn't been great for at least 12 months before that either to be fair. Agree to disagree, certainly McCarthy's teams do tend to play percentages but it's also true that the players will have been inhibited by playing in a flat atmosphere where any mistake is greeted with groans or boos.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:12 - Jul 24 with 2147 viewsOsborneOneNil

Hurst gets it better than Milne doesn't he? on 09:01 - Jul 24 by Mullet

It's nice to see you finally give Cole some credit, it's good to hear we're making solid investments too Harrison looks to me to be someone who can do a bit of everything but not consistently.

That's one area where PH like Mick, excels. Here's the plan and here's a dozen 1-0 wins a season. The only question mark would be their injury records, he's missed a bit of football and so has Edwards hasn't he?

Well credit where credits due. That type of pass is something he has in his locker and needs to use more often. Perhaps a new style from PH will help him here.
The only slight moan you’ll hear re: Harrison is his consistency, some Rovers ‘fans’ were quick to get on his back, something which angered my Gas mate. Edward, you’re right in the fact he missed some games, but I believe he played 32 last season, so not horrific.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024