Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? 17:59 - Sep 18 with 4882 viewsSarge

I started a week ago and I hate it. It’s more or less in the subject area I did my degrees in and to the outsider sounds like a really cool job. The money is good and it can lead me on a path to some seriously decent salaries.

The problem is I don’t enjoy any aspect of it. I did a temporary job for 9 months to bridge the gap between finishing my degree and starting my grad job and I loved that and they asked me to stay there. I’d never command big salaries in that job and part of me would feel I’m wasting my potential if I went back to it but I really did like working there

I’ve moved across the country for this job and away from all my friends and family and I don’t know what to do, I certainly can’t face this for the next 40/45 years..
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:01 - Sep 18 with 4113 viewsJ2BLUE

Can you put a price on happiness? Would the old place take you back?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:03 - Sep 18 with 4102 viewsSteve_M

A week is too soon, you might well be absolutely right in your initial impressions but give it a little time. I suspect the move makes you feel more vulnerable now so at least you can discuss here.

Work is always going to be a balance between location, salary and enjoyment. How much you want of each is the difficult bit. The thing is most jobs are crap at times, and the first few weeks on one are usually crapper.

Give it a month and reassess. You can quit at any time, you can go back to it less easily.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:04 - Sep 18 with 4095 viewsRyorry

"I certainly can’t face this for the next 40/45 years.."

Then don't. Tell them/your boss honestly, face to face, and see what they say. Maybe they can help/improve things. If not, give the proper notice & cut your losses. Life's too short.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:06 - Sep 18 with 4076 viewsfooters

How long is your probation? If I were you I'd give it a couple of months to see how things pan out having made such a drastic move. The important thing here is your probationary period: contracts aren't just from the employer's side but yours too; this period gives you time enough to work out if it's right for you too, not just them.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:06 - Sep 18 with 4072 viewsMattinLondon

If the money is good then keep at whilst keeping an eye on the jobs market. If something takes your fancy, and is a step-up, then go for it regardless of how long you’ve been in post for.

I know it’s fashionable to say that money isn’t everything but it is. More money, better social life and all that.
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:07 - Sep 18 with 4058 viewsJ2BLUE

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:06 - Sep 18 by MattinLondon

If the money is good then keep at whilst keeping an eye on the jobs market. If something takes your fancy, and is a step-up, then go for it regardless of how long you’ve been in post for.

I know it’s fashionable to say that money isn’t everything but it is. More money, better social life and all that.

Money is everything? Interesting. Even assuming you mean that purely careerwise and not generally it's still bloody stupid.

Truly impaired.

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:09 - Sep 18 with 4035 viewsSarge

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:01 - Sep 18 by J2BLUE

Can you put a price on happiness? Would the old place take you back?

Given how much they didn’t want me to leave I like to think they would although I’d likely need to do a pgce to work there long term.
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:09 - Sep 18 with 4036 viewsfactual_blue

Leave.

Life's too short.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:11 - Sep 18 with 4019 viewsSarge

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:06 - Sep 18 by footers

How long is your probation? If I were you I'd give it a couple of months to see how things pan out having made such a drastic move. The important thing here is your probationary period: contracts aren't just from the employer's side but yours too; this period gives you time enough to work out if it's right for you too, not just them.

3 months. I feel ridiculous because I now work on the space program which has been a dream of mine and the job I enjoyed and want back is teaching btec at sixth form.
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:12 - Sep 18 with 4012 viewsfooters

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:09 - Sep 18 by Sarge

Given how much they didn’t want me to leave I like to think they would although I’d likely need to do a pgce to work there long term.

PGCE is quite easy, mate. Only a year, isn't it?

So, you're working for a school? If so, would that be a huge problem given term's already underway?

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:13 - Sep 18 with 3993 viewsFrimleyBlue

I once worked for a Korean firm. Small office. 5 people.

All 5 only spoke Korean. Which I didn't know when accepting the job.

I quite at lunchtime.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:14 - Sep 18 with 3983 viewsfooters

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:13 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

I quite at lunchtime.

And that was the end of your Korea there.

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:14 - Sep 18 with 3971 viewsJ2BLUE

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:13 - Sep 18 by FrimleyBlue

I quite at lunchtime.

How did you tell them?

Truly impaired.

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:17 - Sep 18 with 3947 viewsBueller

Pretty simple really. Stay in the role and earn until you find something new. I would argue that unless you are definitely financially sound for the next few months, no point just quitting and sitting out of work. You never know how long it may take you to find work again.
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:17 - Sep 18 with 3934 viewsSarge

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:12 - Sep 18 by footers

PGCE is quite easy, mate. Only a year, isn't it?

So, you're working for a school? If so, would that be a huge problem given term's already underway?

I was working in a school, so yeah if I was to go back it would realistically be next September I guess.
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:18 - Sep 18 with 3933 viewsfooters

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:11 - Sep 18 by Sarge

3 months. I feel ridiculous because I now work on the space program which has been a dream of mine and the job I enjoyed and want back is teaching btec at sixth form.

Ooh blimey. Give it a few weeks and see how you feel. But by the sounds of it you've landed a dream job that's really a nightmare. If teaching makes you happy, do it. You've met your idol now and turns out he's an arse...

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:18 - Sep 18 with 3925 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘The problem is I don’t enjoy any aspect of it.’

‘I’ve moved across the country for this job and away from all my friends and family and I don’t know what to do, I certainly can’t face this for the next 40/45 years..’

‘I loved that and they asked me to stay there.’

‘I really did like working there’

Read your four quotes again and the answer is quite obvious.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:19 - Sep 18 with 3914 viewsCoco

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:11 - Sep 18 by Sarge

I don’t think a notice period applies during the probation.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:23 - Sep 18 with 3882 viewsSarge

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:18 - Sep 18 by footers

Ooh blimey. Give it a few weeks and see how you feel. But by the sounds of it you've landed a dream job that's really a nightmare. If teaching makes you happy, do it. You've met your idol now and turns out he's an arse...

Yeah the issue really is that it’s just so boring, the people are friendly and it doesn’t seem like it’d be too stressful either now or when I’m up and running. But yeah, just so dull, I can’t get on with office environments. I’m going to see how it goes until probation and then make a decision.

Anyway thanks all for your thoughts, this place feels homely when you’re far from your real one.
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:24 - Sep 18 with 3865 viewsyorkshire

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:03 - Sep 18 by Steve_M

A week is too soon, you might well be absolutely right in your initial impressions but give it a little time. I suspect the move makes you feel more vulnerable now so at least you can discuss here.

Work is always going to be a balance between location, salary and enjoyment. How much you want of each is the difficult bit. The thing is most jobs are crap at times, and the first few weeks on one are usually crapper.

Give it a month and reassess. You can quit at any time, you can go back to it less easily.

I would agree wit the above - most new jobs are daunting and it sounds like you had a good time at the last place so you are probably missing that too

Give it longer - happiness is important for sure as apart from sleep, work is probably the next longest consumption of your time - we work to live rathe than live to work
How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:28 - Sep 18 with 3835 viewsSpruceMoose

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:18 - Sep 18 by The_Romford_Blue

‘The problem is I don’t enjoy any aspect of it.’

‘I’ve moved across the country for this job and away from all my friends and family and I don’t know what to do, I certainly can’t face this for the next 40/45 years..’

‘I loved that and they asked me to stay there.’

‘I really did like working there’

Read your four quotes again and the answer is quite obvious.

With regards to this, as someone who has done similar, I would offer the thought that given a little time, your new location will feel a bit more like home. Just that feeling of belonging could make you feel a lot differently about your job.

Just say yes to everything and everyone (within reason). Be the guy who arranges the nights down the pub for a while. Get yourself a group regular buddies to hang out with, then you can take your foot off the pedal a little
[Post edited 18 Sep 2018 18:30]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:35 - Sep 18 with 3777 viewsfooters

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:23 - Sep 18 by Sarge

Yeah the issue really is that it’s just so boring, the people are friendly and it doesn’t seem like it’d be too stressful either now or when I’m up and running. But yeah, just so dull, I can’t get on with office environments. I’m going to see how it goes until probation and then make a decision.

Anyway thanks all for your thoughts, this place feels homely when you’re far from your real one.

Hang about. If you need to do your PGCE to go up a level at your previous work, why not take out a grant and do that this year in readiness for next September after speaking to your previous employer?

This. (n/t) on 18:35 - Sep 18 with 3775 viewsSporall

How soon is too soon to quit a new job? on 18:09 - Sep 18 by factual_blue

Leave.

Life's too short.

This. (n/t) on 18:38 - Sep 18 with 3727 viewsSpruceMoose

This. (n/t) on 18:35 - Sep 18 by Sporall

It's also long enough to have regrets over making a snap decision. A few weeks or a month or so in the course of your life isn't that long. Take your time, and make the correct decision for you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This. (n/t) on 18:41 - Sep 18 with 3702 viewsfooters

This. (n/t) on 18:38 - Sep 18 by SpruceMoose

It's also long enough to have regrets over making a snap decision. A few weeks or a month or so in the course of your life isn't that long. Take your time, and make the correct decision for you.

What a load of codswallop. Get pissed, make split-second, emotional decisions and live on the edge. It's what got me here today. Sadly.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024