Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FWIW my view on Hurst 10:02 - Sep 25 with 7836 viewsBluefish

Sacking him would be ridiculous at this stage. It is far too soon and he needs to work it out. If we sack him it will never end and we will just go from manager to manager looking for a quick fix miracle, we will never try and build something.

I raised the concern last season that we will now become that type of impatient club after Mick was hounded out. We are by size a smaller club in these league and can't just bully our way through, our only chance is a long term project that goes well. Sack Hurst and bring in a short term option and it really is just a cycle of s*** forever.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:13 - Sep 25 with 5650 viewsBerlinBlue

Completely agree with your first paragraph. Often it takes a while to build something positive. The rewards for allowing that to happen can be great.

I would much rather let PH build something, watching it evolve, with the inevitable mistakes and frustrations along the way, than sack him in a quest to find the supposedly better man. Searching for quick fixes is a terrible way to run a team and can be disastrous.

What is this obsession with demanding instant success? Watching a team evolve is an adventure, is it not?
FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:28 - Sep 25 with 5627 viewsBuyoutclause

This was never going to be an easy start for Hurst, so much change and an entire new backroom staff.

Despite all the rumours, I don't see how sacking Hurst now would produce anything positive. 10 games is nothing, we have to try and ride out this storm, and become a better unit for it. A vaguely similar e.g. is of Lee Johnson at Bristol City, who have been through some dreadful runs, but have stuck with him, which is great credit to the owners.
FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:32 - Sep 25 with 5617 viewsartsbossbeard

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:13 - Sep 25 by BerlinBlue

Completely agree with your first paragraph. Often it takes a while to build something positive. The rewards for allowing that to happen can be great.

I would much rather let PH build something, watching it evolve, with the inevitable mistakes and frustrations along the way, than sack him in a quest to find the supposedly better man. Searching for quick fixes is a terrible way to run a team and can be disastrous.

What is this obsession with demanding instant success? Watching a team evolve is an adventure, is it not?

We're not building and we're not evolving though, that's the issue. We're 10 games in and we're now in a scattergun stage where the initial plan has been chucked out for the quick fix.

We're no improvement on last season with worse players.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:44 - Sep 25 with 5579 viewsSteve_M

It should be too early but there is no sign of any structure and coherence to the team except in short spells, occasionally a half but more usually twenty minutes at a time. After nine matches we've lead for 29 minutes in total, it's not as if we're looking like winning matches either.

Hurst has also made a mess of a mid-table Championship squad which is now significantly weaker than that which he took over and that's before considering whether his approach to the players, and that of his assistant, is conducive to making any sort of progress.

The frustrating thing is that his ideas on how he wants the team to be set up would mark a step-forward in producing something that the club can build on in subsequent seasons but he doesn't seem to be able to get to that point. That we don't score enough goals makes everything else much more difficult.

It would be much better if he could get that to work but the signs are very much that he won't be able to. I'm not desperate for him to get sacked immediately but he won't have too many complaints if he is either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:53 - Sep 25 with 5557 viewshadleighboyblue

Totally agree .

Appointing PH was always going to be a long term project and that has to be the way to go for us up against teams that have more spending power.

No old journeymen players or manager coming to coast through , we now have a young team that will hopefully grow and improve together .

Hopefully supplemented by some of the promising youngsters doing so well in the U23s and U18s .

PH might make mistakes along the way , but he will learn and I honestly believe he will prove to be a good appointment in the long term even if this season is a struggle ….it was always going to be hard .

Our biggest problem at the moment is the lack of a goal threat , get that sorted and the whole team will improve .

Have patience and we will get there , panic now and we will be back in the boring , safe mode that we wanted to change
FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:57 - Sep 25 with 5546 viewsGeoffSentence

Demanding instant success?

Where did that come from? Who's demanding instant success?

What we have got is instant failure. I for one would be happy enough if we were mid-lower table with a couple of wins under our belt and looking like we might carry on that way.

I , for one, don't demand instant success but certainly don't want this failure to continue.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 11:58]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

FWIW my view on Hurst on 12:04 - Sep 25 with 5521 viewsBerlinBlue

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:32 - Sep 25 by artsbossbeard

We're not building and we're not evolving though, that's the issue. We're 10 games in and we're now in a scattergun stage where the initial plan has been chucked out for the quick fix.

Building and evolving is a gradual process and clearly needs longer than the 10 games so far.
The "scattergun stage" you refer to is part of this process. PH will make mistakes and errors of judgement, but as far as I can see this is needed if he's to become successful in the long-run.
FWIW my view on Hurst on 12:12 - Sep 25 with 5497 viewshype313

FWIW my view on Hurst on 12:04 - Sep 25 by BerlinBlue

Building and evolving is a gradual process and clearly needs longer than the 10 games so far.
The "scattergun stage" you refer to is part of this process. PH will make mistakes and errors of judgement, but as far as I can see this is needed if he's to become successful in the long-run.

If he doesn't get a win soon then the whole building process is redundant, he won't be able to keep saying work in progress if we are bottom and winless.

As admirable as it is that we have an owner who gives managers time, it has also been detrimental to us over the years too, he has waited too long to pull the trigger. Not saying he should after 10 games, but if things don't improve soon then he will have no choice.

And as romantic as having a manger here for the long term is, it's not the way with modern football, Chelsea have had numerous managers and won plenty, Whilst Guardiola even admits himself the days of dynasty's are over.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

FWIW my view on Hurst on 12:13 - Sep 25 with 5491 viewsHarry_Palmer

I think we were all backing a long term project but not at the expense of our Championship status, and at this moment in time Hurst has made such a hash of almost everything that it looks like relegation could be a real threat.

I don't see any real signs of progress on the pitch either. As others have pointed out we are not playing in the way that we were lead to believe PH teams play, ( high press, passing out from the back etc. ) and the football is arguably even less exciting than last season.

He either needs to start getting wins or play in a way that the fans can see what the gameplan actually is and but into it. In an ideal world it would be both of these things but if the next two games continue in the same vain as Bolton then he can have no complaints if he gets the boot.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 14:12]
FWIW my view on Hurst on 12:13 - Sep 25 with 5490 viewsBerlinBlue

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:57 - Sep 25 by GeoffSentence

What we have got is instant failure. I for one would be happy enough if we were mid-lower table with a couple of wins under our belt and looking like we might carry on that way.

I , for one, don't demand instant success but certainly don't want this failure to continue.

It's pretty apparent that a lot of people on here are unreasonably demanding instant success.

I really don't know how you can state we've had instant failure. We're at the very beginning of a new chapter and all the upheaval that brings. We'd all love it to be plain sailing, the thing is we all (should) know that it's not like that in reality. The road will be rocky, but the road can lead somewhere good.
FWIW my view on Hurst on 12:41 - Sep 25 with 5406 viewschristiand

The theory of your post makes sense Bluefish and ordinarily I would agree with you. However, the problem I foresee is what is actually happening off and on the pitch at the moment. Yes, it's rumours but in my view there's certainly can't be smoke with without some fire regarding PH and CD's behaviour behind the scenes, there's normally some element of truth in these matters from my experience. Most importantly it's what is happening on the pitch which is the real concern for me. Along with the continued changes per game in selection, formation and our toothless attack we look a very poor Championship side devoid of quality in key positions. To me, enough isn't being shown by the squad to convince me we are good enough to avoid the dreaded drop to League One, we just look nailed on certainties for relegation. So to stick with him wouldn't make much sense, unless we are all prepared to accept our inevitable fate this season.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

FWIW my view on Hurst on 13:34 - Sep 25 with 5297 viewsronnyblue

Unfortunately we cannot afford to keep Hurst if we wish to survive! There is no way his players will be able to maintain our place. I would much rather spend another 17 years in the championship than risk relegation and following the path of clubs like Coventry City who have not been able to recover! He showed his inexperience regarding management at a higher level when his actions in the transfer window reminded me of the actions of letting a kid loose in a sweet shop! The 5 point plan is now nowhere to be seen with the academy players having been ignored, the majority of the players brought in being of lower quality but are all matey with Hurst from his previous positions. At least Mccarthy had better quality mates .
FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:05 - Sep 25 with 5206 viewsEastKentBlue

I agree with you but there are two big issues that concern me.

Firstly, Evans interview suggested a leadership group that would agree on strategy, players and player development. Surely this blueprint was agreed when interviewing the manager? And if such an issue why wasn't Klug made Sporting Director to implement the strategy and have more power in keeping the youth players in the squad and not replaced with Premier youth loans (Edun, Chalobah). The accountability here lies with Evans not setting clear structure.

This loses goodwill and we now have a situation of 6 loans with only 5 in the squad. How Donacien can go from MOTM to dropped is madness.

Secondly, how can Walters and Graham be given fitness passes but not Huws, Rowe, and Dozzell. Its crucial we get Huws and Dozzell rotating in that team. One or the other starting for 60 and coming on for 30 to get up to speed. Rowe is worth a look on the left now as well.

There have been small signs of playing high intensity, attacking football which will cause teams problems. But there have also been some scarily bad play which looks like we will never win a game. We need to find the team balance and quick!
FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:07 - Sep 25 with 5190 viewsSpruceMoose

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:05 - Sep 25 by EastKentBlue

Firstly, Evans interview suggested a leadership group that would agree on strategy, players and player development. Surely this blueprint was agreed when interviewing the manager? And if such an issue why wasn't Klug made Sporting Director to implement the strategy and have more power in keeping the youth players in the squad and not replaced with Premier youth loans (Edun, Chalobah). The accountability here lies with Evans not setting clear structure.

This loses goodwill and we now have a situation of 6 loans with only 5 in the squad. How Donacien can go from MOTM to dropped is madness.

Secondly, how can Walters and Graham be given fitness passes but not Huws, Rowe, and Dozzell. Its crucial we get Huws and Dozzell rotating in that team. One or the other starting for 60 and coming on for 30 to get up to speed. Rowe is worth a look on the left now as well.

There have been small signs of playing high intensity, attacking football which will cause teams problems. But there have also been some scarily bad play which looks like we will never win a game. We need to find the team balance and quick!

As every day passes I'm less sure that the Dozzell issue is injury related at all.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

"how can Walters and Graham be given fitness passes but not Huws, Rowe, and Doz" on 14:17 - Sep 25 with 5169 viewsDyland

I agree. There's an argument a major injury setback to Dozzell would be worse from the club's perspective than one to Walters, but it would be the argument of an apologist, and there are plenty of counter-arguments too.

Fvkc me, it's the hope that kills isn't it. I'm still desperate for this to work but pretty unimpressed with what I'm witnessing without even guessing about the gossip behind the scenes.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"how can Walters and Graham be given fitness passes but not Huws, Rowe, and Doz" on 14:18 - Sep 25 with 5149 viewshype313

"how can Walters and Graham be given fitness passes but not Huws, Rowe, and Doz" on 14:17 - Sep 25 by Dyland

I agree. There's an argument a major injury setback to Dozzell would be worse from the club's perspective than one to Walters, but it would be the argument of an apologist, and there are plenty of counter-arguments too.

Fvkc me, it's the hope that kills isn't it. I'm still desperate for this to work but pretty unimpressed with what I'm witnessing without even guessing about the gossip behind the scenes.

"Fvkc me, it's the hope that kills isn't it. I'm still desperate for this to work but pretty unimpressed with what I'm witnessing without even guessing about the gossip behind the scenes."

Nail on head.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:28 - Sep 25 with 5134 viewsitfcjoe

I think your 2nd paragraph hits the nail on the head.

Who is at ITFC on a day to day basis that Paul Hurst is accountable to?

He spoke to Evans a lot in the window, but only sat down with him on Tuesday for the first time since the season started.

There needs to be a footballing executive running the club on a day to day basis. Milne runs the off field operation, but no one runs the club.

There needs to be someone that oversees the academy and the first team and the relationship between all 3 of the full time squads. That keeps the coaching staff pulling in the same direction.

If Hurst fails this quickly, then it is a failure of Evans recruitment and leadership.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:37 - Sep 25 with 5090 viewsSpruceMoose

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:28 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

He spoke to Evans a lot in the window, but only sat down with him on Tuesday for the first time since the season started.

There needs to be a footballing executive running the club on a day to day basis. Milne runs the off field operation, but no one runs the club.

There needs to be someone that oversees the academy and the first team and the relationship between all 3 of the full time squads. That keeps the coaching staff pulling in the same direction.

If Hurst fails this quickly, then it is a failure of Evans recruitment and leadership.

"Who is at ITFC on a day to day basis that Paul Hurst is accountable to? "

Nobody. Seems like it's being run as his own little fiefdom and Evans is 100% culpable for this.

"There needs to be a footballing executive running the club on a day to day basis. Milne runs the off field operation, but no one runs the club. "

In the words of a great sage, I make you right.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:49 - Sep 25 with 5059 viewsottovonbismark

Isn’t your post part of the problem, ‘we’re not evolving’, like that happens in a 10 game period. This is hopefully a long term plan on behalf of the board, management and FANS.
FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:59 - Sep 25 with 5026 viewsEastKentBlue

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:28 - Sep 25 by itfcjoe

And that is the common denominator of the Evans regime - no accountability to the manager. Bringing in managers who rip the template up and start again, f*** up, start again.

Its taken us all this time to get the academy producing since Keane essentially closed it down and I fear Hurst will do the same.

I wanted a team with Emmanuel, Kenlock, Woolfenden, Nydam, Dozzell, Downes, and Folami playing integral roles. We have one...
FWIW my view on Hurst on 15:01 - Sep 25 with 5008 viewsSpruceMoose

FWIW my view on Hurst on 14:59 - Sep 25 by EastKentBlue

And that is the common denominator of the Evans regime - no accountability to the manager. Bringing in managers who rip the template up and start again, f*** up, start again.

Its taken us all this time to get the academy producing since Keane essentially closed it down and I fear Hurst will do the same.

I wanted a team with Emmanuel, Kenlock, Woolfenden, Nydam, Dozzell, Downes, and Folami playing integral roles. We have one...

And where the hell is Barry Cotter while we are at it? He was the one bright spot of the death days of Mick's tenure..

FWIW my view on Hurst on 15:08 - Sep 25 with 4967 viewsGarv

FWIW my view on Hurst on 11:57 - Sep 25 by GeoffSentence

How can you have instant failure 10 games into a season?

If you go 1 nil down after 2 minutes you haven't failed to win a game of football.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 15:09]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

FWIW my view on Hurst on 15:12 - Sep 25 with 4954 viewsCurrie10

IF there was some logic to team selection, a core emerging, perhaps a win around the corner, dare I say if the start was akin to Keane 09/10 ......... then sure - perhaps I would say 'lets give more time'.

However, on the basis -
* He's used what, 26 players the first 7 games alone.
* Paul Jewell loan strategy
* 6 changes for Hull / 5 Norwich / new system v Brentford
* Bangs on about how key fitness is, yet starts Graham when he's about as fit as myself / plays Walters when he trained one day and back from injury..........

Their all straight off the bat!

Another manager could come in, assess this squad, perhaps look at the academy etc and I think they'd have a better handle on a system / core / where their going.

I don't usually advocate early change - usually stick behind the gafa.

But so far, this is the most clueless management, straight off the bat, I've witnessed at town in terms of reasons-

Yes, that does indeed include the starts made by both Jewell + Keane. It genuinely does.
* Jewell's start wasn't rock and roll, but not like this. Sure, it became this, but the start was not this.
* Keane won his first two games, which looking back is a damned shame. Would have been a more interesting summer I think if we'd lost them both. However, during Keane's shocking run ( god I hate that man ) we were looking like winning various games.
Watford / Barnsley ring bells. Etc. I had a bit of faith that if we got a win or 2, we'd be fine under Keane. I wasn't petrified we were down. To me, there were always three worse sides than us in the league that season.

To me, and correct me if wrong, we do not look like winning a single game.

Do we deserve 3 points from any game played?

People are mentioning - a second half v Brentford. A good performance when down to 10 vs Villa. Sure, both are decent. Did we deserve to win either?

What other games / performances / heck, 45 minute performances have we done well in, the other 7 league games?

The only one I can really comment on due to being overseas is Blackburn. I wasn't impressed, but it was Hurst's first game and that's a pass all day long. I don't think we deserved to win that. Perhaps draw, but Blackburn bottled a glorious chance for 3-1......

Edun total fluke at the end, and that's the ONLY GAME all season we've scored twice in.

So for me, please just get out......... or turn it quick and make me eat a massive humble pie cake. If you get us rocking and a rolling, I'm not going to be a total melt for the duration of Hurst's reign if he's here 3 - 6 years say. If he can show me something, my posts will change, and I'll get behind him.

Over to you Hurst. Three points Saturday, please.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 15:14]
FWIW my view on Hurst on 15:14 - Sep 25 with 4936 viewsGarv

No one ever predicted that we were going to be an improvement on last season 10 games in. In fact it was pretty likely we weren't going to be.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I can't believe I'm up arrowing your bleaty anti Hurst stuff on 15:16 - Sep 25 with 4927 viewsDyland

FWIW my view on Hurst on 15:12 - Sep 25 by Currie10

IF there was some logic to team selection, a core emerging, perhaps a win around the corner, dare I say if the start was akin to Keane 09/10 ......... then sure - perhaps I would say 'lets give more time'.

However, on the basis -
* He's used what, 26 players the first 7 games alone.
* Paul Jewell loan strategy
* 6 changes for Hull / 5 Norwich / new system v Brentford
* Bangs on about how key fitness is, yet starts Graham when he's about as fit as myself / plays Walters when he trained one day and back from injury..........

Their all straight off the bat!

Another manager could come in, assess this squad, perhaps look at the academy etc and I think they'd have a better handle on a system / core / where their going.

I don't usually advocate early change - usually stick behind the gafa.

But so far, this is the most clueless management, straight off the bat, I've witnessed at town in terms of reasons-

Yes, that does indeed include the starts made by both Jewell + Keane. It genuinely does.
* Jewell's start wasn't rock and roll, but not like this. Sure, it became this, but the start was not this.
* Keane won his first two games, which looking back is a damned shame. Would have been a more interesting summer I think if we'd lost them both. However, during Keane's shocking run ( god I hate that man ) we were looking like winning various games.
Watford / Barnsley ring bells. Etc. I had a bit of faith that if we got a win or 2, we'd be fine under Keane. I wasn't petrified we were down. To me, there were always three worse sides than us in the league that season.

To me, and correct me if wrong, we do not look like winning a single game.

Do we deserve 3 points from any game played?

People are mentioning - a second half v Brentford. A good performance when down to 10 vs Villa. Sure, both are decent. Did we deserve to win either?

What other games / performances / heck, 45 minute performances have we done well in, the other 7 league games?

The only one I can really comment on due to being overseas is Blackburn. I wasn't impressed, but it was Hurst's first game and that's a pass all day long. I don't think we deserved to win that. Perhaps draw, but Blackburn bottled a glorious chance for 3-1......

Edun total fluke at the end, and that's the ONLY GAME all season we've scored twice in.

So for me, please just get out......... or turn it quick and make me eat a massive humble pie cake. If you get us rocking and a rolling, I'm not going to be a total melt for the duration of Hurst's reign if he's here 3 - 6 years say. If he can show me something, my posts will change, and I'll get behind him.

Over to you Hurst. Three points Saturday, please.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2018 15:14]

:) x

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024