Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good start to the Tory conference then 08:17 - Oct 1 with 12508 viewsSteve_M

Hunt comparing the EU to the USSR (that's going to help gain support from countries that were occupied by the Soviets after WWII or indeed the Baltic nations), a Festival of Brexit Britain, a bridge to Ireland and a new Royal Yacht.

It's like they've been reading the madder comments of Mail and Telegraph readers which indeed is the whole intent of this week and sod the impact abroad.

Any pretence of being a serious, pragmatic country has been blown away by rabid jingoism over the last two years. The damage to this country's reputation will be enormous.

Good thing we have a competent opposition then.....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good start to the Tory conference then on 18:54 - Oct 1 with 3625 viewsBlueBadger

Good start to the Tory conference then on 18:46 - Oct 1 by Swansea_Blue

That’s not as newsworthy as JC though, is it? This pandering to popularist bigotry/xenophobia is also a different cheek of the same butt imo. ‘Snowflakes’ like me jump up and down, but there should be widespread condemnation of this approach that’s typified by Hunt’s speach. The media should come down on him like a tonne of bricks, but I bet some will be applauding it (I’m guessing; haven’t really been able to follow things today).

Frankly, just because the Tory party are supporting out and out nazis don't let the Labour party off the hook. If you want to the 'better' lot, then you have to BE BETTER.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2018 19:55]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:02 - Oct 1 with 3608 viewsgordon

Good start to the Tory conference then on 12:34 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

If nothing else, the two party conferences have killed any vain hope I had of someone going 'actually let's be grown ups about this, admit it's an utter cluster*ck and call the whole sorry business off'.

Still think there's a tiny bit of hope that common sense will prevail. Well, not so much common sense prevailing, as common stupidity failing.
Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:06 - Oct 1 with 3604 viewsBlueBadger

Good start to the Tory conference then on 17:18 - Oct 1 by tabletopjoe

Never thought he had it in him. Bravo

You've not been watching the news over the last few years then. We've known for YEARS in the NHS that he's an ignorant thicko who, when he's supposed to be winning people over is apparently intent on being needless, pointlessly offensive and stupid.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:07 - Oct 1 with 3597 viewsBlueBadger

Good start to the Tory conference then on 12:41 - Oct 1 by StokieBlue

I agree we won't have a choice when we rejoin but it does make a big difference. Losing control of your own monetary policy can be incredibly bad as the Southern members of the EU have learnt.

SB

We should Take Back Control and decide not to leave.

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:09 - Oct 1 with 3597 viewsBlueBadger

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:02 - Oct 1 by gordon

Still think there's a tiny bit of hope that common sense will prevail. Well, not so much common sense prevailing, as common stupidity failing.

Given how the last two years have gone all I can see happening is people doubling down on their stupidity.

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:28 - Oct 1 with 3579 viewsKeno

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:09 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

Given how the last two years have gone all I can see happening is people doubling down on their stupidity.

Im expecting Teresa May to walk of the shower and say 'gee Boris I just had the oddest dream'

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:34 - Oct 1 with 3573 viewsgordon

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:09 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

It's a very slim possibility, but there's still probably a chain of events that could get us to a second referendum with a remain option on the ballot.

Things are certainly going to get messy over the next few months, the Prime Minister's plan is effectively dead, but whether she accepts making a big concession to the EU, goes for a extension of the transition period, or goes straight to 'no deal', an awful lot of people will be angry and it's difficult to see how she could then survive, throwing the tory party and the country into disarray.

To stave off catastrophe the EU will agree to a delay of the leaving date, and hopefully in the midst of the inevitable national humiliation there will be a desire for a bit of stability and honesty, and a sensible Tory campaigns for the leadership by admitting that the Brexit described in the referendum was undeliverable, and the only solution is another referendum. Obviously the Tory party will be stabbing forks in it's eyes during this process.

The nightmare scenario would be that when May falls somehow we end up with a general election and Corbyn happily steps up to deliver some sort of Brexit.
Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:39 - Oct 1 with 3568 viewsgordon

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-trolls-theresa-may-by-running-through-f

Top bantz from BoJo, that definitely isn't wheat though.
Login to get fewer ads

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:47 - Oct 1 with 3561 viewsNo9

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:02 - Oct 1 by gordon

The levels of incompetence in the current administration would not be expectd if they didn't have a track record in it.

I doubt they will deal with how much this vanity project on behalf of the rich is is costing the taxpayer
Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:54 - Oct 1 with 3558 viewsSteve_M

Still, maybe the young tories will offer something different:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:58 - Oct 1 with 3550 viewsBlueBadger

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:28 - Oct 1 by Keno

Im expecting Teresa May to walk of the shower and say 'gee Boris I just had the oddest dream'

FFS Keno, I haven't eaten yet.

on 20:16 - Oct 1 with 3539 views_

Good start to the Tory conference then on 09:27 - Oct 1 by pickles110564

You are all a bunch of melts, get a grip, we will prosper as soon as we leave.

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:16 - Oct 1 with 3542 viewsKeno

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:58 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

FFS Keno, I haven't eaten yet.

do you have to work those ridiculously long 13 hour plus shift my daughter who is a paediatric nurse does?

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:27 - Oct 1 with 3535 viewsDurovigutum

Good start to the Tory conference then on 08:59 - Oct 1 by Herbivore

I think I'm going to emigrate.

I said I would emigrate if the UK voted leave. While I was in Australia on holiday back in August I checked up on the option of a work permit.

You have to be under 45 (I am by 3 months), have a job on their list of required occupations (I do), have to work for 2 years in certain areas (not Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle or Ipswich, Melbourne or the surrounding areas - basically at least 50 miles from the "best" cities) before you can then move elsewhere. It would cost almost £5,000 for a 5 year visa for me and the family.

I thought long and hard about it, but you have to be "invited to apply" and that won't happen within 3 months, plus here in England both the in laws and my dad have moved to be on our doorstep so we would be abandoning them and cutting them off from the grand kids.

The £5k cost brings home what I will lose in terms of not being able to work in 27 other countries come April 2019.

I don't think there is a point in English history previously (or realistically ever again in the future) where an Englishman will lose as much freedom, legal protection, opportunities and civil rights as I (and most of you) will on 30th March 2019. When you look at what will be stripped away, especially with no deal, it makes me weep.
Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:47 - Oct 1 with 3518 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:27 - Oct 1 by Durovigutum

I said I would emigrate if the UK voted leave. While I was in Australia on holiday back in August I checked up on the option of a work permit.

You have to be under 45 (I am by 3 months), have a job on their list of required occupations (I do), have to work for 2 years in certain areas (not Sydney, Brisbane, Newcastle or Ipswich, Melbourne or the surrounding areas - basically at least 50 miles from the "best" cities) before you can then move elsewhere. It would cost almost £5,000 for a 5 year visa for me and the family.

I thought long and hard about it, but you have to be "invited to apply" and that won't happen within 3 months, plus here in England both the in laws and my dad have moved to be on our doorstep so we would be abandoning them and cutting them off from the grand kids.

The £5k cost brings home what I will lose in terms of not being able to work in 27 other countries come April 2019.

I don't think there is a point in English history previously (or realistically ever again in the future) where an Englishman will lose as much freedom, legal protection, opportunities and civil rights as I (and most of you) will on 30th March 2019. When you look at what will be stripped away, especially with no deal, it makes me weep.

So you want to go to Australia and Herbie is thinking of Canada or New Zealand because the U.K. is leaving the EU.

Has anyone told either of you that none of those three countries are members of the EU?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:48 - Oct 1 with 3513 viewsKeno

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:47 - Oct 1 by GlasgowBlue

So you want to go to Australia and Herbie is thinking of Canada or New Zealand because the U.K. is leaving the EU.

Has anyone told either of you that none of those three countries are members of the EU?

yes but arnt full of immigrants .....

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:52 - Oct 1 with 3505 viewsGlasgowBlue

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:48 - Oct 1 by Keno

yes but arnt full of immigrants .....

That did come into my mind as well. Australia currently has the sort of immigration laws that would make Nigel Farage look like a bleeding heart liberal.

And politically they are a basket case. They have had more Prime Ministers in the last decade than we have had Ipswich managers.

I really don’t believe this fellow has thought things through properly.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:58 - Oct 1 with 3493 viewsKeno

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:52 - Oct 1 by GlasgowBlue

That did come into my mind as well. Australia currently has the sort of immigration laws that would make Nigel Farage look like a bleeding heart liberal.

And politically they are a basket case. They have had more Prime Ministers in the last decade than we have had Ipswich managers.

Surely to cam see the appeal of a going to a somewhere different, full of friendly local people who speak the same language after all look where ended up!!

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:13 - Oct 1 with 3481 viewsDurovigutum

Good start to the Tory conference then on 20:52 - Oct 1 by GlasgowBlue

Australian politics is right of the UK, but not as far right as the USA. They are almost as treacherous and incompetent as ours, we appear to have taught them well in that regard. The big difference is a country sitting on vast quantities of minerals and commodities that the rest of the world want (including coal, they are terrible ecologically) and a very low national debt married to a clear understanding of their place in the world order. When we were there in 2005 it was ASD 2.6 to gbp 1, last month it was 1.7 to 1, if you want to understand which country is heading in the right direction that figure helps. In 2005 we got 1 GBP to 6 Argentinian Peso, that’s now 1 to 50, if we get Brexit wrong that is where we are heading.

O, and I decided not to go. Made the same choice 2002 when back from NZ and 2005 and 2015 when back from Oz. I like England, I like the weather (too hot in Australia), the countryside, the vast majority of the people, the football, the relative proximity to the rest of the world (I’ve booked my UK holiday for next year, I’ll do my bit to keep the home economy going and avoid any passport angst). I’m fortunate to work in an industry that will ride the storm no problem, but I also help at foodbanks and debt relief charities and many of the people who voted leave will see life get worse, not better, and mostly because the worst excesses of the Tory right have been tempered by parts of the EU. Low tax, low benefits, sale of NHS is where we are heading, the stories have been promising it for months....
Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:22 - Oct 1 with 3468 viewsClapham_Junction

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:54 - Oct 1 by Steve_M

Still, maybe the young tories will offer something different:

Reminds me of this thread I saw yesterday. Some great unintentional Partridge in there:

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:22 - Oct 1 with 3466 viewsbrazil1982

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:13 - Oct 1 by Durovigutum

Australian politics is right of the UK, but not as far right as the USA. They are almost as treacherous and incompetent as ours, we appear to have taught them well in that regard. The big difference is a country sitting on vast quantities of minerals and commodities that the rest of the world want (including coal, they are terrible ecologically) and a very low national debt married to a clear understanding of their place in the world order. When we were there in 2005 it was ASD 2.6 to gbp 1, last month it was 1.7 to 1, if you want to understand which country is heading in the right direction that figure helps. In 2005 we got 1 GBP to 6 Argentinian Peso, that’s now 1 to 50, if we get Brexit wrong that is where we are heading.

O, and I decided not to go. Made the same choice 2002 when back from NZ and 2005 and 2015 when back from Oz. I like England, I like the weather (too hot in Australia), the countryside, the vast majority of the people, the football, the relative proximity to the rest of the world (I’ve booked my UK holiday for next year, I’ll do my bit to keep the home economy going and avoid any passport angst). I’m fortunate to work in an industry that will ride the storm no problem, but I also help at foodbanks and debt relief charities and many of the people who voted leave will see life get worse, not better, and mostly because the worst excesses of the Tory right have been tempered by parts of the EU. Low tax, low benefits, sale of NHS is where we are heading, the stories have been promising it for months....

So glad you stayed, what a hero.
Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:27 - Oct 1 with 3462 viewsClapham_Junction

Good start to the Tory conference then on 17:13 - Oct 1 by Swansea_Blue

Oops. Jeremy Rhyming Slang's gaff has taken an interesting twist. I didn't realise this about Tusk. (The interview with Tusk is worth a read - https://www.ft.com/content/72d9b928-7558-11e4-b1bf-00144feabdc0)

And from one of the EU Commissioners:

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:30 - Oct 1 with 3460 viewstabletopjoe

Good start to the Tory conference then on 19:06 - Oct 1 by BlueBadger

You've not been watching the news over the last few years then. We've known for YEARS in the NHS that he's an ignorant thicko who, when he's supposed to be winning people over is apparently intent on being needless, pointlessly offensive and stupid.

Did a good job as health secretary, to resist the childish screams of the Left and remain in the job for a record time. You’re so easily fooled by spin

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:59 - Oct 1 with 3438 viewsDanTheMan

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:30 - Oct 1 by tabletopjoe

Did a good job as health secretary, to resist the childish screams of the Left and remain in the job for a record time. You’re so easily fooled by spin

You realise he actually works for the NHS yeah?

He probably knows a little bit more about it than you.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Good start to the Tory conference then on 22:14 - Oct 1 with 3420 viewstabletopjoe

Good start to the Tory conference then on 21:59 - Oct 1 by DanTheMan

You realise he actually works for the NHS yeah?

He probably knows a little bit more about it than you.

Yeah? Yeah? Ah so they all have the same opinion then, just like sheep....and as for you...

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024