Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spoke to George Burley 17:18 - Oct 5 with 8525 viewsIpswich24

Whilst picking my daughter up from school today. He defiantly wants another shot. I would love see him return working alongside Brian Plug.

Poll: Who would you like to be manager out of these?

Spoke to George Burley on 20:07 - Oct 5 with 3098 viewsSuperfrans

Spoke to George Burley on 17:41 - Oct 5 by Guthrum

But (playing Devil's advocate) what if he now steps in and saves us from near disaster?

There are any number of managers who could do a better job than we are currently seeing, imho - but the vast majority of them don't risk damaging our memories of GB.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Spoke to George Burley on 20:32 - Oct 5 with 3050 viewsANNA3ROA

With Johnnie walker
Spoke to George Burley on 20:32 - Oct 5 with 3050 viewsMoriarty

Spoke to George Burley on 20:07 - Oct 5 by Superfrans

There are any number of managers who could do a better job than we are currently seeing, imho - but the vast majority of them don't risk damaging our memories of GB.

It’s a fair point. Risking cherished memories. I think Ryory and others feel the same.

Much as I respect the view, I must say I would gamble those memories. It’s my emotional investment/gamble and I’m all on for it. My view - “F@ck it, let’s go for it”. One last spin on the merry go round. Better to die on our feet than live on our knees, etc.

I think if GB came in, kept us up and gave youth its fling, would many complain? If we went down, I’d be gutted but I’d still hold him in great regard.

Genuine question - have we more to lose by not appointing him?

fka omuircheartaigh

Spoke to George Burley on 20:37 - Oct 5 with 3031 viewsLord_Lucan

Spoke to George Burley on 19:13 - Oct 5 by m14_blue

You think he'll go if we lose tomorrow?

Hurst is toast.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Spoke to George Burley on 20:41 - Oct 5 with 3021 viewsBLUEBEAT

Poll: W or W

Spoke to George Burley on 20:46 - Oct 5 with 3012 viewsBlueForYou

Spoke to George Burley on 20:37 - Oct 5 by Lord_Lucan

Hurst is toast.

What IpswichTown need right now is inspiration. Something or someone to give us that spark to get things moving. We didn’t have it with the previous manager & we definitely don’t have it now. You never know in sport & football but tomorrow could be ugly.
Spoke to George Burley on 20:52 - Oct 5 with 3002 viewsGuthrum

Spoke to George Burley on 20:46 - Oct 5 by BlueForYou

What IpswichTown need right now is inspiration. Something or someone to give us that spark to get things moving. We didn’t have it with the previous manager & we definitely don’t have it now. You never know in sport & football but tomorrow could be ugly.

I'd say that was exactly what McCarthy did have. The ability to energise and motivate players, get them performing beyond their normal abilities, running through the proverbial walls.

He wasn't so good at firing up the fans, but that's really of secondary importance to getting things pulled together on the pitch.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Spoke to George Burley on 20:55 - Oct 5 with 2988 viewsLord_Lucan

Spoke to George Burley on 20:52 - Oct 5 by Guthrum

I'd say that was exactly what McCarthy did have. The ability to energise and motivate players, get them performing beyond their normal abilities, running through the proverbial walls.

He wasn't so good at firing up the fans, but that's really of secondary importance to getting things pulled together on the pitch.

Sorry but I really disagree. We may be crap now but we were also crap then.

Some of Mick Macks negativity was soul destroying. He’s obviously more than competent at certain aspects and he’s definitely a gentleman but my oh my.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Spoke to George Burley on 20:57 - Oct 5 with 2970 viewsjeera

Spoke to George Burley on 20:55 - Oct 5 by Lord_Lucan

Some of Mick Macks negativity was soul destroying. He’s obviously more than competent at certain aspects and he’s definitely a gentleman but my oh my.

Attracted a better calibre of player than this pretender though.

And held them together.

Still, soon we'll move onto the next man and hopefully he'll be better than the pair of them.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Spoke to George Burley on 21:06 - Oct 5 with 2959 viewsGuthrum

I'm thinking particularly about the situation in 2012, when he was able to take a demoralised shower and turn them into something able to finish well clear of the drop in a season with a higher relegation points total than almost any other.

But, in general, he was pretty decent at getting more out of the squad than the sum of its parts. The negativity was on the tactical side, combined with lack of speed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Spoke to George Burley on 21:21 - Oct 5 with 2939 viewsitfcjoe

Spoke to George Burley on 17:30 - Oct 5 by ITFC_Forever

I can't see it either - what GB wants and what ME will do are likely to be two different things.

But any incoming manager could do alot worse than get Burley involved..... or PH for that matter. But there's no way he'll bin Deputy Doig and PH is too insecure to see someone like Burley as anything other than a threat to his position.

Burley would be a threat to any manager here as he clearly wants the job, and always will.

That's not a Hurst insecurity, it's a hugely obvious threat

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Spoke to George Burley on 21:32 - Oct 5 with 2917 viewsKeaneish

We knew this in the summer...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Spoke to George Burley on 21:48 - Oct 5 with 2883 views44_not_out

I’m sorry, but if it was crap under MM (your opinion), this is taking crap to another level.
Spoke to George Burley on 21:52 - Oct 5 with 2873 viewsLord_Lucan

Spoke to George Burley on 21:48 - Oct 5 by 44_not_out

I’m sorry, but if it was crap under MM (your opinion), this is taking crap to another level.

Can you quantity that?

Spoke to George Burley on 22:15 - Oct 5 with 2835 views44_not_out

Spoke to George Burley on 21:52 - Oct 5 by Lord_Lucan

Can you quantity that?

Not sure what you mean but under MM, granted the football was sometimes crap, but we never looked like getting relegated. Under the current manager, we haven’t won in 11 league games, haven’t looked like winning and it looks likely we will get relegated. I would describe that as really, really crap.

If you want it quantified, I’d say it’s gone from a bucket full of crap to now being an Olympic sized swimming pool of crap
Spoke to George Burley on 22:25 - Oct 5 with 2811 viewsLord_Lucan

Spoke to George Burley on 22:15 - Oct 5 by 44_not_out

Not sure what you mean but under MM, granted the football was sometimes crap, but we never looked like getting relegated. Under the current manager, we haven’t won in 11 league games, haven’t looked like winning and it looks likely we will get relegated. I would describe that as really, really crap.

If you want it quantified, I’d say it’s gone from a bucket full of crap to now being an Olympic sized swimming pool of crap

I was never defending Hurst, I was simply saying that it was rubbish before as well.

I don’t like rubbish.

I don’t mind losing, I can handle that. I just want to see a plan, and I would like to see a collective.

Spoke to George Burley on 23:44 - Oct 5 with 2746 viewsGarv

Spoke to George Burley on 19:08 - Oct 5 by Mullet

I think there's a clear case to highlight PH as being insecure, and it's very uncharitable and pointless given his tenure is likely to be concluded in 24 hours and officially over soon after the way we are going.

It's very frustrating.

Likely to be concluded in 24 hours? I used you think you were an arse but generally talked sense.

You've lost your way.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Spoke to George Burley on 02:11 - Oct 6 with 2698 viewsJohnny_Boy

Spoke to George Burley on 17:25 - Oct 5 by J2BLUE

I wouldn't. Love him but our fans turn incredibly quickly these days. Rather than bringing back the glory years we'd be destroying a legend. We should definitely have some sort of role for him at the club but the manager role isn't it.

Would we put it past Evans to use Burley's good will to cut funding even more?

Not a good idea.

10 games.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2018 9:25]
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:10 - Oct 6 with 2574 viewsstewartm

Spoke to George Burley on 18:25 - Oct 5 by BerlinBlue

And PH isn't having a good go at getting this team playing?

If GB were ever to come back and he had a similar start to PH, I reckon the fan reaction would be exactly the same as it has been so far this season, club legend or not.

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Spoke to George Burley on 10:24 - Oct 6 with 2546 viewsPecker

Congrats on sucking those daft enough in.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024