Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Hurst stumble across it...? 14:40 - Oct 8 with 4890 viewsKeaneish

On this week's Blue Monday a comment was made about Paul hurst "stumbling across" a team that clicked to give us a much needed a win at the Liberty Stadium. Is this accurate?

I'm in two minds. You'd have to assume he bought Nolan and Jackson/Harrison to make those places their own, which they haven't for varying reasons. Given Dozzell may have been going out on loan at one stage and has had rehabilitation issues, it's fair to say he probably wasn't first choice until Nolan decided to disappear in games after the first whistle.

Sears you'd assume wasn't first choice striker given he didn't start there on the opening day and had an injury here and there but now he's back in the fold after some good displays from the bench and in training i'd assume, he's a definite starter against QPR.

These two additions Saturday gave us more cohesion by all accounts but were they stumbled across or has Hurst wanted them to start but for one reason or another ie: injuries, form of others etc... they've not. MM was unfortunate in that his signings got injured and he never had a the side he signed to really play together. Has Hurst suffered a similar fate and Saturday bore the first fruits of what his desired first eleven is or was it fortuitous and did he stumble across it?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 14:51 - Oct 8 with 4832 viewsSteve_M

You surely answer your own question, the personnel have very much been stumbled upon.

That said, it seems to be more of a reversion to an approximation of his preferred formation than previously but crucially with Edwards and Ward right up with Sears at times.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:04 - Oct 8 with 4765 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I hope Sears can continue with that type of performance.

To be fair, many posters on here have been lambasted in the past week or two for calling for Sears.

I would hope that Hurst always thought of Dozzell as a first teamer and only overlooked him due to fitness problems.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:06 - Oct 8 with 4757 viewstextbackup

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:04 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

I hope Sears can continue with that type of performance.

To be fair, many posters on here have been lambasted in the past week or two for calling for Sears.

I would hope that Hurst always thought of Dozzell as a first teamer and only overlooked him due to fitness problems.

I laughed at Sears being talked about as the answer...

However my Sears image is only of him doing fck all our wide weekly... forgotten he may actually be a success down the middle

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:07 - Oct 8 with 4749 viewsGarv

Think you're looking too far into it.

He could have stuck with Jackson as he's not been bad recently. But Sears came on against Boro and showed his worth, Jackson had justified his place until then I'd say.

He didn't have to drop Nolan, but saw, as everybody else did that Dozzell would give us something else.

At the end of the day he's just using the squad. Have some of his signings been disappointing? Yes.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:09 - Oct 8 with 4730 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:06 - Oct 8 by textbackup

I laughed at Sears being talked about as the answer...

However my Sears image is only of him doing fck all our wide weekly... forgotten he may actually be a success down the middle

He was one of the most in form strikers in the league for the half a season when he first joined.

In fairness to Sears, he has never claimed to be a wide man, but was a good pro and did a job for the team.

I guess Mick had good goal scoring alternatives, whereas right now we dont.

I hope he can take the chance he has now got.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:10 - Oct 8 with 4720 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:07 - Oct 8 by Garv

Think you're looking too far into it.

He could have stuck with Jackson as he's not been bad recently. But Sears came on against Boro and showed his worth, Jackson had justified his place until then I'd say.

He didn't have to drop Nolan, but saw, as everybody else did that Dozzell would give us something else.

At the end of the day he's just using the squad. Have some of his signings been disappointing? Yes.

In fairness to Jackson, hes done a great job considering he's jumped up two leagues.

He'll contribute plenty over the season, and it might do him some good that he's not being solely relied on.

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 16:26 - Oct 8 with 4530 viewshomer_123

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 14:51 - Oct 8 by Steve_M

You surely answer your own question, the personnel have very much been stumbled upon.

That said, it seems to be more of a reversion to an approximation of his preferred formation than previously but crucially with Edwards and Ward right up with Sears at times.

Also, two crucial differences.

We were not punished by Swansea for mistakes and we actually took our chances.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 16:30 - Oct 8 with 4505 viewsDarth_Koont

I wouldn't say so, no.

Hurst looks to be a little too keen to rotate players for my liking but that was a pretty standard team. Jackson is a case in point as he got dropped to the bench at a time when he was starting to show decent form.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 17:02 - Oct 8 with 4412 viewsstrikalite

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:09 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

He was one of the most in form strikers in the league for the half a season when he first joined.

In fairness to Sears, he has never claimed to be a wide man, but was a good pro and did a job for the team.

I guess Mick had good goal scoring alternatives, whereas right now we dont.

I hope he can take the chance he has now got.

If we want better than Sears then we'd have to cough up serious money(for us!).

League One Striker banging in goals playing for a small Club cost Derby £5m..
Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:12 - Oct 8 with 4265 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:22 - Oct 8 with 4234 viewsernie

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:12 - Oct 8 by BryanPlug

Your question seems to be: Does a manager rotate his squad and change players when they're not performing well?
Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:40 - Oct 8 with 4199 viewsronnyblue

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:22 - Oct 8 by ernie

Your question seems to be: Does a manager rotate his squad and change players when they're not performing well?

Or does he drop all of the shirt numbers in a bag and draw them out like a raffle ?
Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:50 - Oct 8 with 4172 viewsHerbivore

I think it might be a bit early to say that he's stumbled on a team that works, we've won one game. Let's hope it's the start of something but I'm not convinced Saturday's starting XI is likely to work in every game, or even many games.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 20:01 - Oct 8 with 4033 viewsBryanPlug

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 18:22 - Oct 8 by ernie

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 22:33 - Oct 8 with 3792 viewsWicklowBlue

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 20:01 - Oct 8 by BryanPlug

I think confidence is the key thing here. Confidence is such a difficult thing to quantify and encourage but is equally the easiest thing to lose. It can make the difference between scoring with a first time shot or taking an extra touch and the opportunity to score is lost.

Let's stop over analysing every minute detail and hope the win over Swansea instills a new level of confidence within the squad.
Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 23:00 - Oct 8 with 3745 viewscaught-in-limbo

Are we talking about a team that clicked for a solitary win? Or the sort of "clicking" that can be described as some sort of winning formula?

If we're talking about the former, some might argue that laws of probability finally showing up had more to do with the result than anything else.

As relieved as I am about Saturday's result and as hopeful as I am about our long-term future under Hurst I'm not going to describe anything as "clicking" into place until it's backed up by several weeks of consistency.

Patience and cautious optimism are what the players need from the supporters at the moment not emotional yo-yos.

(Just to clarify, I'm not calling you an emotional yo-yo. I just think the language of "stumbling across" something which "clicked", is far too premature and is likely to lead to disappointment too soon).
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 23:25]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 23:12 - Oct 8 with 3719 viewsBLUEBEAT

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 15:10 - Oct 8 by Marshalls_Mullet

In fairness to Jackson, hes done a great job considering he's jumped up two leagues.

He'll contribute plenty over the season, and it might do him some good that he's not being solely relied on.

Agree with this.

A few games in the successful U23 team will do him the world of good.

Poll: W or W

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 12:15 - Oct 9 with 3445 viewsKeaneish

Did Hurst stumble across it...? on 23:00 - Oct 8 by caught-in-limbo

Are we talking about a team that clicked for a solitary win? Or the sort of "clicking" that can be described as some sort of winning formula?

If we're talking about the former, some might argue that laws of probability finally showing up had more to do with the result than anything else.

As relieved as I am about Saturday's result and as hopeful as I am about our long-term future under Hurst I'm not going to describe anything as "clicking" into place until it's backed up by several weeks of consistency.

Patience and cautious optimism are what the players need from the supporters at the moment not emotional yo-yos.

(Just to clarify, I'm not calling you an emotional yo-yo. I just think the language of "stumbling across" something which "clicked", is far too premature and is likely to lead to disappointment too soon).
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 23:25]

They weren't my words, i think they were the words of Harry From Bath on the Blue Monday Podcast. He was inferring the formula i think, a click that created the win which could lead to a winning formula as the changes provided more balance throughout the side.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024