Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have you bought your last car? 00:48 - Oct 10 with 11017 viewscatch74

Why you have (probably) already bought your last car http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45786690

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Have you bought your last car? on 10:31 - Oct 10 with 4838 viewsGuthrum

Have you bought your last car? on 09:10 - Oct 10 by jeera

That's why I have no power after dark!

If only someone would come up with some kind of storage device.

Which is another fast-growing area of technology.

From the old-style pumped water systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station

To modern battery arrays: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42190358

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have you bought your last car? on 10:37 - Oct 10 with 4835 viewsJakeITFC

Have you bought your last car? on 10:31 - Oct 10 by Guthrum

Which is another fast-growing area of technology.

From the old-style pumped water systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station

To modern battery arrays: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42190358

There is also the fact that if the nation goes for EV, we'd in fact be adding millions of small batteries to the grid which could be used (as in charged and discharged) via smart charging points.

Flexibility is the key for future energy markets, of which EVs play a massive part.
Have you bought your last car? on 10:50 - Oct 10 with 4826 viewsBluefish

Have you bought your last car? on 10:25 - Oct 10 by Guthrum

They're going to have to increase the number of charging points at places like supermarkets, for all those people not able to park (and thus charge) their vehicle at home. Plugging in whilst doing the shopping would be an ideal solution (unless you order it online and get delivered ).

I am sure when we moved to the ICE we needed to add a few petrol stations as well. Charging points are arguably easier to resolve.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Have you bought your last car? on 11:52 - Oct 10 with 4790 viewsVic

Have you bought your last car? on 10:20 - Oct 10 by Guthrum

Battery technology is a fast-moving area of development. Think of the power consumption still with good battery life of a relatively lightweight modern phone compared with even a few years ago.

I'm currently researching ways to incorporate a wireless charging system into road construction. A bit like Scalextric, but without the groove to guide the cars.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Have you bought your last car? on 12:00 - Oct 10 with 4785 viewsagentp

Have you bought your last car? on 10:12 - Oct 10 by Bluefish

That is utter bollox on all accounts

There are 300 mile cars on the market from Kia and Hyundai without needing to include the jag or tesla

Do You really think that is true about electric cars breaking down? It is utter rubbish But they probably see that many cars that have run out of fuel or misfueled

To be fair your text-book reply doesn't match the reality.

1, Yeah 300 mile cars, but they rarely do 300 miles. The scenario's are no different to MPG figures. Yeah you stick to 50 on the motorway and run no devices etc, you may get somewhere near, but 300 miles is by no means guaranteed.

2, It is also difficult to charge a regularly used electric car to its full capacity, so you are usually heading off lacking a little juice.

3, The 300 mile range doesn't add up in rural areas/hills etc. Blimey the range drops off in those areas.

150-200 miles is expected in the conditions/reality world over the brochure/salesman world.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2018 12:01]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Have you bought your last car? on 12:12 - Oct 10 with 4772 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Have you bought your last car? on 11:52 - Oct 10 by Vic

I'm currently researching ways to incorporate a wireless charging system into road construction. A bit like Scalextric, but without the groove to guide the cars.

Sweden have already trialed a 'charging road' and are planning on rolling it out far and wide.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/12/worlds-first-electrified-roa

In Holland they have already tested a Cycle route that that generates power as well, which I think would be a relatively simple model to use around the world.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/03/12/dutch-solar-bike-path-solaroad-successful-e

I've also seen motorways and railway lines that have small turbines placed inbetween carriageway/tracks so that wind from passing vehicles turns the turbines and generate power... Which seems so simple, yet effective, but I assume the transfer of this power to the grid is the next/biggest hurdle.
Have you bought your last car? on 12:27 - Oct 10 with 4759 viewsRyorry

Have you bought your last car? on 12:12 - Oct 10 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Sweden have already trialed a 'charging road' and are planning on rolling it out far and wide.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/12/worlds-first-electrified-roa

In Holland they have already tested a Cycle route that that generates power as well, which I think would be a relatively simple model to use around the world.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/03/12/dutch-solar-bike-path-solaroad-successful-e

I've also seen motorways and railway lines that have small turbines placed inbetween carriageway/tracks so that wind from passing vehicles turns the turbines and generate power... Which seems so simple, yet effective, but I assume the transfer of this power to the grid is the next/biggest hurdle.

Have they also got plans for the surplus hot air on TWTD? Could probably run a small town with that (ably assisted by the Hamsters' surplus ..)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have you bought your last car? on 12:32 - Oct 10 with 4753 viewsVic

Have you bought your last car? on 12:27 - Oct 10 by Ryorry

Have they also got plans for the surplus hot air on TWTD? Could probably run a small town with that (ably assisted by the Hamsters' surplus ..)

Yes they have. I understand that a converting facility is being set up near Frimley soon. Other sites are being investigated, with suggested requested.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Have you bought your last car? on 13:27 - Oct 10 with 4722 viewsKievthegreat

Having recently gone electric I thought I'd share my thoughts. So we have 2 cars in our house, a RAV4 (Petrol) and my new Renault Zoe (BEV). Now primarily the Zoe will be for my commute of 70 miles round trip everyday, but we'll venture further afield too, we did 120 miles last weekend going to MK and back and had buckets of range left. And that's not driving at 50 with the Air con off, that 65-70 mph all the way (roadworks permitting). Today I drove in to work like a hooligan and I'm still on track for 150 miles range. So range (for me) isn't a worry in the slightest.

The main benefit though is cost. I'm paying a fraction of the price on electricity versus diesel or petrol. I'd need to car to do a legitimate 100+mpg to have the same costs. Also no petrol stations, just plug in when I get home and unplug in the morning before I drive off. Much easier.

It's also great fun to drive, there's plenty of torque and no gears so it accelerates from standstill so quickly and easily. And when next year's Zoe come along with CCS rapid charging and potentially charges to 180+ mile (real world range) in 30 minutes, why would I even look at an ICE?
Have you bought your last car? on 13:45 - Oct 10 with 4701 viewsNo9

Have you bought your last car? on 07:20 - Oct 10 by jeera

Can't see too many Welsh farmers buying into that can you.

Nor East Anglian farmers
Have you bought your last car? on 13:47 - Oct 10 with 4701 viewsNo9

When it comes to Electric vehicles the UK is a long way behind other countries particularly in charging the battery's
The way we are going it will be back to TVO
Have you bought your last car? on 14:10 - Oct 10 with 4686 viewsThrobbe

Have you bought your last car? on 10:25 - Oct 10 by Guthrum

They're going to have to increase the number of charging points at places like supermarkets, for all those people not able to park (and thus charge) their vehicle at home. Plugging in whilst doing the shopping would be an ideal solution (unless you order it online and get delivered ).

You've identified the real issue (not unusually, and I feel thrilled to finally add some further information to a Guthers post) as being distribution, not generation.

The government are currently pushing for new houses to incorporate vehicle charging facilities, and certainly in some large housing developments we (I work in infrastructure/land development) are looking at putting in facilities for a separate power network for charging points.

Personally, I think this is the wrong approach. It will need the development of faster charging (and tesla already have it, so it's near future, not 20 years away), then as electric replaces internal combustion we utilise the existing network of petrol stations to provide rapid charging facilities, supplemented by localised overnight charging areas (to be implemented in public car parks, charges could be combined).

In relation to the OP, I think we're still some way away from widespread adoption of driverless cars, but next year my office is moving to a city centre location in Cambridge and we will have 2 parking spaces for 60 staff, so for business trips I can see us using a car club approach rather than people using their own transport.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Have you bought your last car? on 14:27 - Oct 10 with 4664 viewsNo9

Have you bought your last car? on 12:12 - Oct 10 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I understand they have an electric charging road in operation in Czechoslovakia
Have you bought your last car? on 16:38 - Oct 10 with 4627 viewsStokieBlue

Have you bought your last car? on 14:27 - Oct 10 by No9

I understand they have an electric charging road in operation in Czechoslovakia

That country hasn't existed for longer than some of our board members have been alive!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Have you bought your last car? on 16:43 - Oct 10 with 4624 viewschicoazul

Hilarious.

I tend to think that, because the US is dysfunctional on so many levels for e.g. it doesnt have a properly functioning banking system, the Developers of all these apps assume everyone else has the same problems

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Have you bought your last car? on 16:50 - Oct 10 with 4618 viewsStokieBlue

Have you bought your last car? on 16:43 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

Hilarious.

I tend to think that, because the US is dysfunctional on so many levels for e.g. it doesnt have a properly functioning banking system, the Developers of all these apps assume everyone else has the same problems

Plenty wrong with the US but in what way does it not have a properly functioning banking system?

SB

Have you bought your last car? on 17:03 - Oct 10 with 4609 viewschicoazul

Have you bought your last car? on 16:50 - Oct 10 by StokieBlue

Plenty wrong with the US but in what way does it not have a properly functioning banking system?

SB

Loads of people still get paid by cheque and have to pay rent or other bills by cheque for instance.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Have you bought your last car? on 17:16 - Oct 10 with 4603 viewsStokieBlue

Have you bought your last car? on 17:03 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

Loads of people still get paid by cheque and have to pay rent or other bills by cheque for instance.

Certainly you have a fair point with regards to personal and retail banking for the masses.

They are miles behind.

SB

Have you bought your last car? on 17:27 - Oct 10 with 4590 viewschicoazul

Have you bought your last car? on 17:16 - Oct 10 by StokieBlue

Certainly you have a fair point with regards to personal and retail banking for the masses.

They are miles behind.

SB

Sorry that's my fault, I didnt make it clear! Thats what I meant.

Have you bought your last car? on 17:29 - Oct 10 with 4589 viewsWeWereZombies

Have you bought your last car? on 17:16 - Oct 10 by StokieBlue

They are miles behind.

SB

And let's not forget Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, oh and Lehman Brothers.

But then we hosted Barings and have had to pay through the nose to keep RBS and Halifax/BoS going.

But despite those, and other cases going further back such as BCCI here and that Long Term Capital lot in the States there is at least a stab at World class regulation, compared to, say, Italy.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Have you bought your last car? on 18:01 - Oct 10 with 4578 viewsjjblue84

Have you bought your last car? on 09:30 - Oct 10 by StokieBlue

A far more solvable problem than climate change and emissions.

SB

It’s solvable, but not currently in the plans of our energy policy for the next 20 years!!
Have you bought your last car? on 18:03 - Oct 10 with 4575 viewsJakeITFC

Have you bought your last car? on 18:01 - Oct 10 by jjblue84

It’s solvable, but not currently in the plans of our energy policy for the next 20 years!!

Are you expecting the overnight peak through charging to surpass the current daytime peak?
Have you bought your last car? on 18:49 - Oct 10 with 4557 viewstractorboy7777

This line gets me:
“But think of the hundreds of billions of dollars consumers will save, and which can now be spent elsewhere in the economy.”

For cities yes it might work but for the countryside villagers where there’s currently one bus an hour, you’d need to order your own taxi everyday to make sure you get to work. Which means that that “money” we’ll be able to spend will go straight into travel again!

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Have you bought your last car? on 19:54 - Oct 10 with 4526 viewsRyorry

Have you bought your last car? on 17:29 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

And let's not forget Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, oh and Lehman Brothers.

But then we hosted Barings and have had to pay through the nose to keep RBS and Halifax/BoS going.

But despite those, and other cases going further back such as BCCI here and that Long Term Capital lot in the States there is at least a stab at World class regulation, compared to, say, Italy.

Fantastic prog on Mon night on BBC2, notable particularly for the inside views & thoughts of those intimately concerned, incl Alistair Darling. Very clear explanations of how the crisis arose -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bmbhzb/the-bank-that-almost-broke-britai

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Have you bought your last car? on 21:33 - Oct 10 with 4503 viewsjjblue84

Have you bought your last car? on 18:03 - Oct 10 by JakeITFC

Are you expecting the overnight peak through charging to surpass the current daytime peak?

Possibly
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024