Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now this annoys me 19:10 - Nov 24 with 8715 viewsiamipswich

Apologies but I’ve just realised how much this annoys me. Jack Marriott. We had one of the most gifted young footballers in the country for his time at the club. He scored goals for fun at youth level, went out on loan and did the same. But because he was smaller than 6ft, McCarthy refused to play him because his style didn’t accommodate someone small. Even Brett Pitman alone was a stretch.

We had one of the brightest young talents around and hoof ball deprived us of reaping the benefits of having him. This annoys me especially with our plight right now and seeing him bag goals in league 1 and now have a decent start with a good Derby side.

Apologies all I don’t know where this came from and what it brings to the table but I suppose that is what a forum is for. To vent one’s frustration. I think it was Ben Morris scoring today for Forest Green. I see similarities and hope he gets a chance.

Have a lovely weekend all.

Poll: Who will return first?

Now this annoys me on 19:13 - Nov 24 with 5138 viewsBackToRussia

Not like we'd sold another prolific young academy player a couple of years before JM who had gone on to better things to learn our lesson from or anything.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Now this annoys me on 19:14 - Nov 24 with 5134 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

What a load of rubbish

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Now this annoys me on 19:15 - Nov 24 with 5136 viewsWD19

Good news, you need not let this annoy you further. I am pleased to confirm your understanding of the situation is simply wrong.

Marriott fell from the picture because his attitude was not quite right. By his own admission he let himself go and turned up for a new season out of shape.

Even better news is that through this necessary setback he learned his lesson and will carve out a successful career in the game.
Now this annoys me on 19:17 - Nov 24 with 5118 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Now this annoys me on 19:15 - Nov 24 by WD19

Good news, you need not let this annoy you further. I am pleased to confirm your understanding of the situation is simply wrong.

Marriott fell from the picture because his attitude was not quite right. By his own admission he let himself go and turned up for a new season out of shape.

Even better news is that through this necessary setback he learned his lesson and will carve out a successful career in the game.

Exactly.

Mick was right to let Jack go. He was fat when he came back for pre-season. That is not good enough for a professional footballer

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Now this annoys me on 19:18 - Nov 24 with 5102 viewsBackToRussia

Now this annoys me on 19:17 - Nov 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

Exactly.

Mick was right to let Jack go. He was fat when he came back for pre-season. That is not good enough for a professional footballer

Was overweight and needed motivating a bit. Get rid. Never been an overweight unmotivated player ever before.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Now this annoys me on 19:20 - Nov 24 with 5076 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Now this annoys me on 19:18 - Nov 24 by BackToRussia

Was overweight and needed motivating a bit. Get rid. Never been an overweight unmotivated player ever before.

He was right to be released. He had good strikers in front of him and he was at an age where he needed to be getting in to the first team.

He is a great player and obviously it is frustrating, but it was nothing to do with Mick or hoof ball.

Now this annoys me on 19:22 - Nov 24 with 5059 viewsPinewoodblue

Exactly.

While you are correct in what you say ?Jack Marriott didn't turn things around in his own. Not sure Mick even tried.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Now this annoys me on 19:22 - Nov 24 with 5055 viewsBackToRussia

Now this annoys me on 19:20 - Nov 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

He was right to be released. He had good strikers in front of him and he was at an age where he needed to be getting in to the first team.

He is a great player and obviously it is frustrating, but it was nothing to do with Mick or hoof ball.

So, despite him scoring buckets of goals at every level he played at, thus making him one of the Academy's brightest prospects, since, well Rhodes - we should have got rid of him at the first sign of trouble? What kind of commitment is that to using Academy talents when we can't even be bothered to help him motivate our best prospect for years? The message is "be perfect now or get rid". AKA short-termism.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Login to get fewer ads

Now this annoys me on 19:23 - Nov 24 with 5058 viewsPecker

Everybody bangs on about the other players we sold, but I say time and again, that selling Marriott was the worst bit of business this club had done in a long while. You could tell the kid had something and should have been given the time and games here in which to flourish.
Now this annoys me on 19:25 - Nov 24 with 5037 viewsjas0999

Exactly this. A manager makes a decision based on what he can see / knows at the time.

Marriott turned up for pre season completely out of shape and with a terrible attitude. Mick based his decision on that. It happens. Player leaves under a cloud, learns and goes on to better things.
Now this annoys me on 19:25 - Nov 24 with 5029 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Now this annoys me on 19:22 - Nov 24 by BackToRussia

So, despite him scoring buckets of goals at every level he played at, thus making him one of the Academy's brightest prospects, since, well Rhodes - we should have got rid of him at the first sign of trouble? What kind of commitment is that to using Academy talents when we can't even be bothered to help him motivate our best prospect for years? The message is "be perfect now or get rid". AKA short-termism.

We do not know the full story. However, from what we do know, he was overweight with a bad attitude. I can only assume that maybe this wasn't the first show of trouble. Maybe I am wrong, but if a manager releases a player for having a bad attitude, I cannot get too angry about it.

Now this annoys me on 19:29 - Nov 24 with 5003 viewsTrequartista

Exactly.

So he was right to throw away potentially millions of pounds or a potential star rather than just put a player on a fitness program. The truth is he didnt see the potential and made a mistake in this case.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Now this annoys me on 19:29 - Nov 24 with 4993 viewsBackToRussia

Now this annoys me on 19:25 - Nov 24 by TRUE_BLUE123

We do not know the full story. However, from what we do know, he was overweight with a bad attitude. I can only assume that maybe this wasn't the first show of trouble. Maybe I am wrong, but if a manager releases a player for having a bad attitude, I cannot get too angry about it.

No, but people in this thread are willing to accept that if he was fat and sulky, that was enough to drop him. I think that's poor management. I think, like when we got rid of Rhodes, that the management team were thinking that he wasn't lined up for the first team in the next year, so he was expendable.

One young striker being let go who then went onto score goals and sell for big numbers could be passed off as bad luck, what does two strikers who then go on to be top scorers at other clubs being released by us look like? It certainly doesn't look like a team actually committed to relying on their Academy like Evans claims to want to do.

Think of the amount of goals Rhodes and Marriott have scored since they have left? Does that not irk you that we've struggled and had our worst spells of all time while they are banging them in?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Now this annoys me on 19:31 - Nov 24 with 4984 viewsPecker

So the club shouldn't have supported him and helped him through? Pure short sighted attitude from the club.
Now this annoys me on 19:32 - Nov 24 with 4966 viewsWD19

Now this annoys me on 19:31 - Nov 24 by Pecker

So the club shouldn't have supported him and helped him through? Pure short sighted attitude from the club.

Who is to say they didn't try!?
Now this annoys me on 19:33 - Nov 24 with 4964 viewsBinner

I don't suppose you'll be the last to rewrite history so that you can have something to be angry about.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Now this annoys me on 19:34 - Nov 24 with 4947 viewsHARRY10

How many others have moved on and sunk without trace ?

It happens.
Now this annoys me on 19:42 - Nov 24 with 4898 viewsWickets

Very true but do you think with the right man management he could have learned his lesson and become the player he is at Town or should the policy be that soon as a young player fooks up he is out the door?
Now this annoys me on 19:49 - Nov 24 with 4865 viewsGluedtoBlue

Now this annoys me on 19:42 - Nov 24 by Wickets

Very true but do you think with the right man management he could have learned his lesson and become the player he is at Town or should the policy be that soon as a young player fooks up he is out the door?

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure I've seen an article where Marriott says MM was right to let him go and that was a large contributing factor to him turning his career around.

Ability alone gets you nowhere.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Now this annoys me on 19:50 - Nov 24 with 4854 viewsSomethingBlue

That's completely made up. People are really strange sometimes.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Now this annoys me on 19:51 - Nov 24 with 4850 viewssixtouchfootball

His attitude was poor.... to put it mildly.
Now this annoys me on 20:05 - Nov 24 with 4786 viewsChocorange

Now this annoys me on 19:23 - Nov 24 by Pecker

Everybody bangs on about the other players we sold, but I say time and again, that selling Marriott was the worst bit of business this club had done in a long while. You could tell the kid had something and should have been given the time and games here in which to flourish.

Agree with this.

For me fairs fair.

Keane gets a lot of stick for letting Rhodes go.

McCarthy gets a lot of credit ( rightly so ) for the players he brought in and made a profit on like Mings. Therefore if he drops a clanger and releases a player who then goes on to score goals for fun and be sold for multi millions then he has to take criticism too.

There is an element of 'it happens' as it's unlikely any manager would get it right all the time.

However management these days ( not just football management) is about man management , getting the best out of the people who work for you, developing them, reducing or removing their weaknesses.
So for a player who had always shown the goal scoring knack at every level , it was a mistake to let him go so quickly ( when his wage would have been low too) when we could have at the very least sold him with add on clauses.

Mick was wrong on this one. The facts speak for themselves.
Now this annoys me on 20:30 - Nov 24 with 4649 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Now this annoys me on 19:29 - Nov 24 by BackToRussia

No, but people in this thread are willing to accept that if he was fat and sulky, that was enough to drop him. I think that's poor management. I think, like when we got rid of Rhodes, that the management team were thinking that he wasn't lined up for the first team in the next year, so he was expendable.

One young striker being let go who then went onto score goals and sell for big numbers could be passed off as bad luck, what does two strikers who then go on to be top scorers at other clubs being released by us look like? It certainly doesn't look like a team actually committed to relying on their Academy like Evans claims to want to do.

Think of the amount of goals Rhodes and Marriott have scored since they have left? Does that not irk you that we've struggled and had our worst spells of all time while they are banging them in?

Of course it irks me. However, this happens in football, and Mick was above all a good man manager. He would have known if he could get the best out of Jack, he let him go. I cannot get angry about the decision.

Now this annoys me on 20:32 - Nov 24 with 4640 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Now this annoys me on 20:05 - Nov 24 by Chocorange

Agree with this.

For me fairs fair.

Keane gets a lot of stick for letting Rhodes go.

McCarthy gets a lot of credit ( rightly so ) for the players he brought in and made a profit on like Mings. Therefore if he drops a clanger and releases a player who then goes on to score goals for fun and be sold for multi millions then he has to take criticism too.

There is an element of 'it happens' as it's unlikely any manager would get it right all the time.

However management these days ( not just football management) is about man management , getting the best out of the people who work for you, developing them, reducing or removing their weaknesses.
So for a player who had always shown the goal scoring knack at every level , it was a mistake to let him go so quickly ( when his wage would have been low too) when we could have at the very least sold him with add on clauses.

Mick was wrong on this one. The facts speak for themselves.

Mick was a great man manager. I would say the reason we were competitive under him was because he got the best out of average players. Sears, Waghorn and Garner for a few examples.

Now this annoys me on 20:59 - Nov 24 with 4577 viewsBloomBlue

Now this annoys me on 19:29 - Nov 24 by Trequartista

So he was right to throw away potentially millions of pounds or a potential star rather than just put a player on a fitness program. The truth is he didnt see the potential and made a mistake in this case.

They had put him on a fitness program and he refused to stick to it, he even admits himself, which is why he came back overweight. What was MM to do then, push him onto the ground and kick the shlt out of him?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024