Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lamberts free ride. 08:27 - Dec 2 with 11654 viewsMonkey

I don’t get it. Comments on here saying “he is a good manager”, “it’s not his fault”, “I’m giving him a free ride”. Why?

He’s a good manager - is he? He was good many years ago. His last job was to save a team from Relegation (Stoke) and he failed and got relegated with a whimper then let go. Sound familiar?

It’s not his fault - yes I agree he doesn’t have a great squad but are we really going to let him off completely as the squad isn’t great? He hasn’t won a game yet! Even with a poor squad a good manager would scrape a win somewhere, Lamberts record is appalling. If nick played midfield 3 of Skuse, Chalobah and Downes at home to Bristol City in a must win game people would lose their minds.

Giving him a free ride - To me this is accepting relegation and mediocrity. “It’s not his fault, he didn’t buy these players, let him off”. So we’re just letting him get away with not bringing any points home? Why should we accept this? It’s a small club attitude and in the championships were not a small club.

I know this will get loads of down votes as people seem to think Lambert is the messiah but he has done the same in his previous recent jobs. Talked a great game, always talking up the fans but ultimately failed on the pitch. This is no different.

Poll: Which division do you honestly think Ipswich will be in next season?

Lamberts free ride. on 08:32 - Dec 2 with 6864 viewsCurrie10

They are NOT his players.

Until he's been allowed to sign a few of his own, into Hurst's absolute shower of ****, then to judge him is beyond me.

If say we sign 5/6 in January - then I may start to slate Lambert in late February / March.

Until then, not from me.

Have your first down arrow, more on the way, because you're blubbing.
[Post edited 2 Dec 2018 8:36]
Lamberts free ride. on 08:47 - Dec 2 with 6773 viewsm14_blue

Lamberts free ride. on 08:32 - Dec 2 by Currie10

Until he's been allowed to sign a few of his own, into Hurst's absolute shower of ****, then to judge him is beyond me.

If say we sign 5/6 in January - then I may start to slate Lambert in late February / March.

Until then, not from me.

This.

The man has been working with Jordan Roberts as a lone striker ffs, what exactly do you expect from him?

Let’s see what his contacts can work for us in Jan.
Lamberts free ride. on 08:52 - Dec 2 with 6729 viewsMonkey

Lamberts free ride. on 08:32 - Dec 2 by Currie10

Until then, not from me.

Every manager who takes over a club in between transfer windows doesn’t have his own players but what I’m saying is most clubs won’t settle for mediocrity due to that whereas we seem to be doing that.

And by January on this form we’re already going to be relegated.

Poll: Which division do you honestly think Ipswich will be in next season?

Lamberts free ride. on 08:54 - Dec 2 with 6707 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lamberts free ride. on 08:52 - Dec 2 by Monkey

Every manager who takes over a club in between transfer windows doesn’t have his own players but what I’m saying is most clubs won’t settle for mediocrity due to that whereas we seem to be doing that.

Fair point on settling for mediocrity, but I don't think Lambert is the right target.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lamberts free ride. on 08:58 - Dec 2 with 6691 viewsRegencyBlue

So who do you think could do any better with the shower of sh1te left by Hursts summer of madness and Evans long term neglect of the club?

They would have to be available and want to come here which limits the choice I would suggest.
Lamberts free ride. on 09:16 - Dec 2 with 6530 viewsbrogansnose

Yeah, lets have a good old boo and get some bedsheets made up then after we've got him out we can get a manager in with a fkn magic wand.

Who should we get in next ?
Lamberts free ride. on 09:16 - Dec 2 with 6527 viewsBenno1960

you are targetting the wrong man / men

Let him get his own players in, then judge (not after 5 minutes either)
[Post edited 2 Dec 2018 9:16]
Lamberts free ride. on 09:17 - Dec 2 with 6517 viewsbluelady

RIght now in the mess we are in getting on the back of another manager, one who is trying to breath positivity into a very very poor squad is the last thing we need. Back the manager, get behind the team and we have a slim chance, turn on them and we may as well turn off the lights now
Login to get fewer ads

Lamberts free ride. on 09:53 - Dec 2 with 6343 viewsgt81

We HAVE to settle for mediocrity because that is precisely what we are.

Even before Lambert was appointed few expected him to turn this mess around. It was basically a case of seeing if we could nick the odd win here and there, stay in touch with the teams above and hope that January brings a fruitful transfer window.

Having a decent enough manager in charge more or less demonstrates that the squad is even worse than what we thought as we have been playing somewhat better than when Hurst left.
Lamberts free ride. on 10:10 - Dec 2 with 6273 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lamberts free ride. on 08:58 - Dec 2 by RegencyBlue

So who do you think could do any better with the shower of sh1te left by Hursts summer of madness and Evans long term neglect of the club?

They would have to be available and want to come here which limits the choice I would suggest.

Well Paul Hurst was doing better...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lamberts free ride. on 10:12 - Dec 2 with 6264 viewsGuthrum

You talk about Stoke (where he didn't take over until mid January and is his only job ending in relegation), but fail to mention Villa, Blackburn or Wolves, all of which he managed to keep in their respective divisions.

Where is your lengthy string of posts from September onwards demanding Hurst be held to account? He had an identical starting record after the first five League games, but with the advantages of a transfer window and preseason. But instead you were inclined to give him time and hope it worked out.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lamberts free ride. on 10:13 - Dec 2 with 6247 viewswkj

Lambert is tasked with trying to take a knackered old hag and get a thoroughbred to breed with it. If anything he is wasted here imho

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Lamberts free ride. on 10:15 - Dec 2 with 6232 viewsNo9

I agree with you on some points but we don't know what brief PL was given by the owner to deal with the current situation which, lets face it, is of the Owners making.
What we are seeing in the playing staff is not a sudden revelation the slide has been going on for several seasons now particularly the way Town give away the ball in midfield allowing the oppositon to build relatively close to Towns goal.
PL wants to change the way the game is played (he claims), that means assessing who he has & who can do what from those already on the books. The midseason transfer window should not only reveal if PL has got a grip with the situation he walked into but what the Owners intentions are for the future.
We are approaching a really significant point in the future of ITFC.
Lamberts free ride. on 10:19 - Dec 2 with 6204 viewsGuthrum

Lamberts free ride. on 10:10 - Dec 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well Paul Hurst was doing better...

Not after five League games he wasn't. W0 D2 L3 GD-4 2Pts. Identical, but Hurst had had a transfer window and preseason to assemble and organise his team.

Lamberts free ride. on 10:24 - Dec 2 with 6179 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

Lamberts free ride. on 09:53 - Dec 2 by gt81

Even before Lambert was appointed few expected him to turn this mess around. It was basically a case of seeing if we could nick the odd win here and there, stay in touch with the teams above and hope that January brings a fruitful transfer window.

Having a decent enough manager in charge more or less demonstrates that the squad is even worse than what we thought as we have been playing somewhat better than when Hurst left.

We had mediocrity with McCarthy. What we have now is far worse than mediocrity.
Lamberts free ride. on 10:30 - Dec 2 with 6140 viewsGuthrum

Lamberts free ride. on 08:54 - Dec 2 by Swansea_Blue

Fair point on settling for mediocrity, but I don't think Lambert is the right target.

I don't think it is a fair point about 'settling for mediocrity'. We aren't.

We are giving the manager some time and space to sort out the current situation with the tools at his disposal.

Lamberts free ride. on 10:36 - Dec 2 with 6119 viewsGuthrum

Lamberts free ride. on 09:53 - Dec 2 by gt81

Yes, I had thought there might be enough quality within the squad to claw our way to safety. But I'm no longer sure there is, especially if we lose a player or two to injury or suspension. We need reinforcement in January and to be accumulating at least a modicum of points until then.

Fortunately, our relegation rivals are struggling almost as much as ourselves. And Town, at least, have a fruitful Youth system to draw upon - where would we be without the likes of Downes and Lankester stepping up?

Lamberts free ride. on 10:39 - Dec 2 with 6099 viewsjaseitfc

"lambers free ride" eff off

The guy has just come in and has been left this squad, get behind him
Lamberts free ride. on 15:22 - Dec 2 with 5643 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lamberts free ride. on 10:19 - Dec 2 by Guthrum

Not after five League games he wasn't. W0 D2 L3 GD-4 2Pts. Identical, but Hurst had had a transfer window and preseason to assemble and organise his team.

3 of Hursts games were away though whereas Lambert has had 3 at home. More relevant to my point though would be Hurst’s last 5 games which yielded 4 points - and against tougher opposition too

Lamberts free ride. on 15:26 - Dec 2 with 5627 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lamberts free ride. on 10:12 - Dec 2 by Guthrum

You talk about Stoke (where he didn't take over until mid January and is his only job ending in relegation), but fail to mention Villa, Blackburn or Wolves, all of which he managed to keep in their respective divisions.

Where is your lengthy string of posts from September onwards demanding Hurst be held to account? He had an identical starting record after the first five League games, but with the advantages of a transfer window and preseason. But instead you were inclined to give him time and hope it worked out.

Villa had been an established top flight club for 30-odd years when he took over. I wouldn’t say keeping them up for 2 seasons then being sacked in 18th was much of an escape act

Similarly Blackburn were 16th when he took over. Wolves were 19th so perhaps have a point there and he did take them up the table - but think the Stoke comparison is most apt given it was both his most recent job and one closest to the position he came into at Town

Lamberts free ride. on 15:38 - Dec 2 with 5564 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Lamberts free ride. on 08:47 - Dec 2 by m14_blue

This.

The man has been working with Jordan Roberts as a lone striker ffs, what exactly do you expect from him?

Let’s see what his contacts can work for us in Jan.

Leigh Griffiths from Celtic.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Lamberts free ride. on 16:30 - Dec 2 with 5411 viewsGuthrum

Lamberts free ride. on 15:22 - Dec 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

3 of Hursts games were away though whereas Lambert has had 3 at home. More relevant to my point though would be Hurst’s last 5 games which yielded 4 points - and against tougher opposition too

Why would it be more relevant to compare Hurst's efforts after not only a transfer window and preseason, but also over two months of games in the division, with Lambert's opening handful, not having had all that time to assemble and work with the squad?

Lamberts free ride. on 16:35 - Dec 2 with 5401 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lamberts free ride. on 16:30 - Dec 2 by Guthrum

Why would it be more relevant to compare Hurst's efforts after not only a transfer window and preseason, but also over two months of games in the division, with Lambert's opening handful, not having had all that time to assemble and work with the squad?

Because the subject was whether anyone would have done better from the 5 games Lambert has had

Lamberts free ride. on 16:50 - Dec 2 with 5353 viewsEly_Blue

Lamberts free ride. on 15:22 - Dec 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I would refer you to the point that PH had been working with those players from pre season and HE had assembled that team, PL has to deal with what he has, for the majority of the time he has been in charge we have been in games at least, under PH there were games where we looked clueless and when we were behind there was no way back.

I point you to the last game of Hurst vs Leeds and the PL game against WBA. Against Leeds there was no way even if we had still been playing now that we would have scored, vs WBA we simply never gave up and even when we had been outplayed we managed to score in the last 5 mins.

That is the difference, if we are still in touching distance in Jan I can see some experienced players from the Premier League coming in on short term deals to help this team to safety

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Lamberts free ride. on 16:57 - Dec 2 with 5324 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lamberts free ride. on 16:50 - Dec 2 by Ely_Blue

I would refer you to the point that PH had been working with those players from pre season and HE had assembled that team, PL has to deal with what he has, for the majority of the time he has been in charge we have been in games at least, under PH there were games where we looked clueless and when we were behind there was no way back.

I point you to the last game of Hurst vs Leeds and the PL game against WBA. Against Leeds there was no way even if we had still been playing now that we would have scored, vs WBA we simply never gave up and even when we had been outplayed we managed to score in the last 5 mins.

That is the difference, if we are still in touching distance in Jan I can see some experienced players from the Premier League coming in on short term deals to help this team to safety

We scored against WBA because they absolutely gifted us a goal, otherwise we were completely outclassed

Your post illustrates the OP’s point perfectly. If it couldn’t be expected for a manager to have any impact without pre season or time with the side, what was the point in making the change when we did? Particularly with such an important slate of games ahead?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024