Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A golden generation ? 11:58 - Dec 21 with 2711 viewsWestcountryblue

In terms of our younger players, i don't ever recall their being a larger and brighter group of youngsters breaking through into the first team. For the club to put El Mizouni, Morris and Wright on two and half deal deals, with extension options, must suggest that there is a belief that these players can make it at this level. In addition to these three, we also have Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Bishop, Woolfenden and Lankester, who i believe will all be comfortably good enough to play at this level. I do agree with PL that relying on these players is not healthy for their development, but i think we are in a very strong position to be able to field pretty much a home grown squad in about 8-12 months time. I'm not too sure about Kenlock, Emmanuel, Folami and Cotter, but i think Brian Klug has spoken out for the need to allow players longer to develop, with some players perhaps taking until 22-23 to be ready for first team action. Marriot being a prime example of this. We also have some good players like Clements and Crowe not too far behind this group.

Not too sure we've ever had a better group of youngsters all coming through at the same stage, but for my mind, it makes it even more important that we stay up this year, so we can hang on to this group. They are our best chance of being competitive at this level.
[Post edited 21 Dec 2018 12:01]
A golden generation ? on 12:12 - Dec 21 with 2672 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Always difficult to tell in advance how well a group of young players will progress.

2005 FA Youth cup winning side contained:

Supple, Casement, Trotter, Upson, Moore, Hammond, Sheringham and Knights. All those showed promise not sure they went on to anything as good/better than our current crop promise.

In the final the Southampton team they beat contained:

Lallana, Walcott and McGoldrick.

Would the best we have produced been something along the lines of Dyer, Ambrose, Bramble, Bent, Bowditch, Wright all coming through at the same time? Anything half as good as that will be great.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A golden generation ? on 12:13 - Dec 21 with 2669 viewsSwansea_Blue

I do. Wright the 1st, Dyer, Bramble, Bent... Ambrose shortly after. All top players for us we could rely on, and ended up as proven experienced PL players.

All of our current crop have got a way to go before they get near the impact any of the former players had with us, let alone the subsequent careers they went on to have.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A golden generation ? on 12:20 - Dec 21 with 2653 viewsWestcountryblue

A golden generation ? on 12:12 - Dec 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Always difficult to tell in advance how well a group of young players will progress.

Supple, Casement, Trotter, Upson, Moore, Hammond, Sheringham and Knights. All those showed promise not sure they went on to anything as good/better than our current crop promise.

Would the best we have produced been something along the lines of Dyer, Ambrose, Bramble, Bent, Bowditch, Wright all coming through at the same time? Anything half as good as that will be great.

I think the difference between this side and the 2005 side, is that many of current crop already have 10-15+ Championship games under their belt as well as loan experience in some cases. Players like Woolfenden 'should' be able to step in at the end of the season to replace Pennington etc..

Ambrose, Bramble, Westlake, Richards, Bowditch, Price et all came through at a similar time to various degrees of success. Ambrose, Westlake and Bowditch should've all gone on to had much better careers. Bent was always a cut above in terms of his all round game.
A golden generation ? on 12:22 - Dec 21 with 2640 viewsWestcountryblue

A golden generation ? on 12:13 - Dec 21 by Swansea_Blue

I do. Wright the 1st, Dyer, Bramble, Bent... Ambrose shortly after. All top players for us we could rely on, and ended up as proven experienced PL players.

All of our current crop have got a way to go before they get near the impact any of the former players had with us, let alone the subsequent careers they went on to have.

Agreed, they were all quality players.

Just don't think we'd had this number of promising players all come through at the same time before. Obviously, some will make it, others won't. But it looks like 5-6 have a great chance of cutting it at this level.
A golden generation ? on 12:24 - Dec 21 with 2632 viewsBlueBadger

And just think how far Wright, Dyer and Ambrose could have gone were it nor for bad career decisions and injuries.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A golden generation ? on 12:24 - Dec 21 with 2632 viewsclive_baker

Difference now is they would've all been nabbed from us at 15 years old by a bigger fish.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

A golden generation ? on 12:24 - Dec 21 with 2630 viewsPJH

The 1973 F.A. Youth Cup winning team produced Burley and Gates plus a number who made the first team here-Turner,Parkin,Tibbott,Peddelty and Stirk.
The 1975 F.A. Youth Cup winning team gave us Osman and Wark plus Geddis,Betschin and Roberts.
A golden generation ? on 12:25 - Dec 21 with 2627 viewsSwansea_Blue

A golden generation ? on 12:22 - Dec 21 by Westcountryblue

Agreed, they were all quality players.

Just don't think we'd had this number of promising players all come through at the same time before. Obviously, some will make it, others won't. But it looks like 5-6 have a great chance of cutting it at this level.

Possibly not numbers, but I reckon as others have said potential doesn't mean a lot until delivered upon. We had numbers in that 2005 youth cup winning side - there was a lot of hype around them at the time.

Not taking anything away from the current crop though - it's a good place to be in. Lets hope they can make the step up (and keep free of injury!).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

A golden generation ? on 13:03 - Dec 21 with 2575 viewsCurrie10

This.

Never had anything like this at the exact same time.

Sure had Dyer/ Bent + Ambrose ( together ) Wright, Wickham Rhodes - but nothing collectively like this lot.
A golden generation ? on 13:21 - Dec 21 with 2539 viewsitfcbw

Dozzell is off in January. Only def info I’ve ever had
A golden generation ? on 13:23 - Dec 21 with 2533 viewsFrimleyBlue

The good thing is there's a lot of potential £££££££££ to come in with the new generation coming through

Lankester, Woolfenden, Dozzell, Downes especially.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

A golden generation ? on 13:27 - Dec 21 with 2517 viewsNo9

An abundance of youthful talent is not much use if it not nurtured and developed into the first team squad needed to propel a low finance team onwards & upwards
A golden generation ? on 13:37 - Dec 21 with 2494 viewsStokieBlue

Dyer was pure quality.

Exactly the player we need right now.

He was awful to play against when I was a youngun.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

A golden generation ? on 03:35 - Dec 22 with 2322 viewsharlingblue

In times gone by, the great Sir Bobby Robson,(a novice manager at the time) had to stave off relegation fears, by buying two experienced players, Frank Clarke and Jimmy Robertson. They saved our season, which was followed by an influx of young players that became the heart of a great team.
Times change, Premiership teams, enhanced by Sky money etc, can cherry pick the best players from lesser clubs, making it a very unfair playing field. Leicester City needs congratulating on breaking these rules.
At Town, we now have a really good Manager, knows his trade, hopefully has the contacts to help us survive, because we have some really good young players awaiting their chance, either out on loan, or bubbling under in the U23 team, all waiting to play, the Ipswich way, thanks to Brian Klug and his coaches.
A golden generation ? on 04:09 - Dec 22 with 2309 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The Ipswich team that won the Youth Cup final against Southampton achieved 1 Premier League appearance between them, where as the Southampton team's career transfer fees combined well exceed £100m - funny old game, isn't it?

With the players you mentioned- to be fair there's quite a wide span amongst those. Dyer broke through circa 96, and Bowditch was 2003.

If we're looking at modern era (so excluding Robson days), the best was probably Wright, Dyer, Bramble. Two went on to play for England, and all three played in Champions League.

Dyer was the best talent we've had since the 90's, played in the World Cup, and was one of the best players in the Prem at his best. I read Gerrard's autobiography years ago (he's probably released two more since) and he said when he joined up with the England u21s there was a distinct buzz about Wright and Dyer (especially Wright
). Two players who never really fulfilled their potential, unlike Titus who probably punched above his weight.

Poll: Best Football Song

A golden generation ? on 05:59 - Dec 22 with 2285 viewsmuccletonjoe

I think we have the best crop of youngsters at the club now we have ever had in our history both in terms of numbers and ability.
In defence we have Cotter, Clements , Kenlock and Wolfenden. All of whom I would say will make it to championship level at least.
We all know we have 5 or 6 midfielders coming through, the bestt of whom I would say is Flynn Downes at the moment who has really developed this season .
Up front Morris, Lankester and especially Folami will all make it at this level.
This club has never had that sort of potential in its ranks and Lambert is well aware of what is there in the next few years if we can bring them through in the right way.
Smile !
[Post edited 22 Dec 2018 6:00]
A golden generation ? on 06:59 - Dec 22 with 2227 viewstractorboy1978

Wright/Dyer came through 5 years before Bent and Ambrose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024