Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting 23:18 - Feb 8 with 6421 viewsRyorry

As a result of Brexit - Landrover Defenders could resume production, according to my local garage, when we leave the EU. Main reason they stopped being produced wasn't the fact that they're diesel, but the EU requirement that they're fitted with airbags & other safety features.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:24 - Feb 8 with 5247 viewssparks

Reality check on UK manufacturing. ...

http://www.madeherenow.com/news/post/2017/01/27/britain-moves-up-the-world-manuf

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:31 - Feb 8 with 5224 viewsCoastalblue

My niece's husband is an engineer at JLR and currently sweating on whether or not he will keep his job, I'm not sure a few Defenders being produced again will make much of a dent in the 4500 they will be laying off shortly.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:37 - Feb 8 with 5203 viewssparks

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:31 - Feb 8 by Coastalblue

My niece's husband is an engineer at JLR and currently sweating on whether or not he will keep his job, I'm not sure a few Defenders being produced again will make much of a dent in the 4500 they will be laying off shortly.

Agreed. Reality though is we still punch above our weight in manufacturing despite the people who claim we are some utter failure in that regard.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:59 - Feb 8 with 5174 viewsLord_Lucan

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:37 - Feb 8 by sparks

Agreed. Reality though is we still punch above our weight in manufacturing despite the people who claim we are some utter failure in that regard.

The thing I think many people don't realise is that British products are very sought after in foreign countries, especially Middle East and Asia.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 00:25 - Feb 9 with 5134 viewstcblue

"other safety features" included they are possibly the most lethal car for pedestrians. Bloody Eurocrats with their safety concerns!!

The new Defender was going to be built in Slovakia; what's changed?
Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 00:35 - Feb 9 with 5113 viewsLord_Lucan

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 00:25 - Feb 9 by tcblue

"other safety features" included they are possibly the most lethal car for pedestrians. Bloody Eurocrats with their safety concerns!!

I must admit and at the risk of becoming a snowflake, I quite like the idea of a few safety features.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 01:13 - Feb 9 with 5085 viewsmos

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 00:35 - Feb 9 by Lord_Lucan

I must admit and at the risk of becoming a snowflake, I quite like the idea of a few safety features.

Exactly, can’t exactly say I’m too concerned about that particular EU requirement for manufacturing cars!

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 04:23 - Feb 9 with 5015 viewsBenters2

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:59 - Feb 8 by Lord_Lucan

The thing I think many people don't realise is that British products are very sought after in foreign countries, especially Middle East and Asia.

This.

we wont crash and burn.

Sadly there are more people on here who want Brexit to fail that succeed.
Login to get fewer ads

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 04:45 - Feb 9 with 5013 viewsSpruceMoose

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 04:23 - Feb 9 by Benters2

This.

we wont crash and burn.

Sadly there are more people on here who want Brexit to fail that succeed.

It would help if you could actually provide some facts and figures to reassure the rest of us. What are you basing your assessment of us not crashing and burning on Benters? I'd love to discuss your research with you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 05:45 - Feb 9 with 4983 viewsRyorry

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:31 - Feb 8 by Coastalblue

Fingers crossed for your family and the other employees, hope they get to keep their jobs.

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 05:55 - Feb 9 with 4976 viewsRyorry

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 00:25 - Feb 9 by tcblue

I know nothing of the details I'm afraid, I was simply passing on the info I was given, and even that's still based on rumour at this stage.

As far as safety features are concerned, the Defender is still primarily used as a farm and rural workhouse for carrying feed, equipment, dogs etc over fields & tracks at low speeds, so airbags etc not really necessary for that role. Some ppl like me do use it as a dual purpose or road vehicle, but again, mostly rural roads at low speeds and rarely if ever on motorways.

The Defender is one of those brilliant icons of the best of British, I love it, and am simply celebrating what I hope will be at least one silver lining of Brexit!

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 06:59 - Feb 9 with 4943 viewstcblue

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 05:55 - Feb 9 by Ryorry

I know nothing of the details I'm afraid, I was simply passing on the info I was given, and even that's still based on rumour at this stage.

As far as safety features are concerned, the Defender is still primarily used as a farm and rural workhouse for carrying feed, equipment, dogs etc over fields & tracks at low speeds, so airbags etc not really necessary for that role. Some ppl like me do use it as a dual purpose or road vehicle, but again, mostly rural roads at low speeds and rarely if ever on motorways.

The Defender is one of those brilliant icons of the best of British, I love it, and am simply celebrating what I hope will be at least one silver lining of Brexit!

But it isn't anything to do with Brexit.

The new Defender has been worked on for a few years - hence the testing going on of the new model, it will DEFINITELY be built to NCAP as they'll want to sell it in Europe and it won't be made in Britain.
Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 07:30 - Feb 9 with 4900 viewsLeoMuff

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 04:45 - Feb 9 by SpruceMoose

It would help if you could actually provide some facts and figures to reassure the rest of us. What are you basing your assessment of us not crashing and burning on Benters? I'd love to discuss your research with you.

Benters > Governor of Bank of England

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 07:42 - Feb 9 with 4887 viewsWD19

They stopped making it because it was no longer economically viable. Too bespoke for modern manufacturing practices and at a price point that just didn’t work.

Like salad cream it will come back.....but at x2 the cost.
Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 07:58 - Feb 9 with 4857 viewsPinewoodblue

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 23:59 - Feb 8 by Lord_Lucan

There are lots of products we import simply because they are cheaper than home produced.

Most clothing is imported, mass produced by slave labour, yet when ITFC wanted to have available, at short notice, a commemoration scarf for Sir Bobby they were made in the UK and probably better quality than other scarfs available in the club shop at that time.

We could do with another buy British campaign.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 08:32 - Feb 9 with 4791 viewsDurovigutum

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 07:58 - Feb 9 by Pinewoodblue

There are lots of products we import simply because they are cheaper than home produced.

Most clothing is imported, mass produced by slave labour, yet when ITFC wanted to have available, at short notice, a commemoration scarf for Sir Bobby they were made in the UK and probably better quality than other scarfs available in the club shop at that time.

We could do with another buy British campaign.

I voted remain. I always try to buy British. For some things it's not possible, computers and phones after IBM closed Greenock, bit for many it is. Dog food is one that gets me, why buy German when the best in the world is made up the road? Mattresses, beds and furniture - as good as anything else but not really any more expensive. Beer? Shampoo? Toothpaste? Buy British, keep money in our economy, keep British people in work.
Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 08:33 - Feb 9 with 4790 viewsDanTheMan

And other people who don't realise our service industry dwarves manufacturing.

I asked Dmitry Grozoubinski (A former Australian WTO trad negotiator) what he thought would happen with that and he sent me this article.

https://www.cer.eu/publications/archive/policy-brief/2018/brexit-and-services-ho

The whole PDF is fairly interesting but a big take away from me is in one of the summary points:

A large shift in the composition of UK services exports would have consequences for the UK’s trade balance. If the composition of UK services supplied to the EU matched those to the rest of the world, we estimate that financial services exports to the EU (minus insurance and pensions) would be around 60 per cent lower. The export of insurance and pension services would be 19 per cent lower. Business services (including law, accountancy and professional services) exports would be ten per cent lower.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 09:42 - Feb 9 with 4700 viewsPinewoodblue

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 08:32 - Feb 9 by Durovigutum

I voted remain. I always try to buy British. For some things it's not possible, computers and phones after IBM closed Greenock, bit for many it is. Dog food is one that gets me, why buy German when the best in the world is made up the road? Mattresses, beds and furniture - as good as anything else but not really any more expensive. Beer? Shampoo? Toothpaste? Buy British, keep money in our economy, keep British people in work.

Agreed. Noticed recently that a toothpaste purchased fom Tesco was made in China.

2023 year of destiny

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 10:59 - Feb 9 with 4641 viewsBenters2

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 07:30 - Feb 9 by LeoMuff

Benters > Governor of Bank of England

I wouldn’t go that far but I am old school if I lost my job I’d go and find another one.

I’m not one to sit about thinking about what might have been.

Man up,brush yourself off,and start all over again.

Rule Britannia 🇬🇧.
Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 11:04 - Feb 9 with 4635 viewsRyorry

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 06:59 - Feb 9 by tcblue

But it isn't anything to do with Brexit.

The new Defender has been worked on for a few years - hence the testing going on of the new model, it will DEFINITELY be built to NCAP as they'll want to sell it in Europe and it won't be made in Britain.

Sorry, but my garage was emphatic that the only reason it might return is as a result of the removal of EU regulations. Whilst that wouldn't be a problem for me with this particular product, the removal of EU safety & protection regulations relating to employment, the environment, and animal welfare were actually one of the major reasons for my voting Remain.

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 11:10 - Feb 9 with 4629 viewsRyorry

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 08:32 - Feb 9 by Durovigutum

Absolutely. For dog food I buy Simpsons Premium, made by a family firm in Lancs, top quality, very pure - just proper meat & potato + vits & mins at a very reasonable price.

https://www.simpsonspremium.com/

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 12:42 - Feb 9 with 4562 viewsBent_double

This is the message that politicians should have been hammering home for the past 2 and a half years, instead they prefer to point-score off each other.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 13:23 - Feb 9 with 4525 viewsLord_Lucan

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 09:42 - Feb 9 by Pinewoodblue

Agreed. Noticed recently that a toothpaste purchased fom Tesco was made in China.

Did you know that some fish and shellfish firms send their product from UK to China to be gutted and shelled and they are then shipped back to UK?

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 13:58 - Feb 9 with 4495 viewsSpruceMoose

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 10:59 - Feb 9 by Benters2

I wouldn’t go that far but I am old school if I lost my job I’d go and find another one.

I’m not one to sit about thinking about what might have been.

Man up,brush yourself off,and start all over again.

Rule Britannia 🇬🇧.

Very good. So you're like 99% of everybody else. What does that have to do with Brexit?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 16:23 - Feb 9 with 4415 viewsPinewoodblue

Well blow me down, there might be one bit of manufacturing in the UK re-starting on 13:23 - Feb 9 by Lord_Lucan

Did you know that some fish and shellfish firms send their product from UK to China to be gutted and shelled and they are then shipped back to UK?

Crazy isn't it?

2023 year of destiny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024