Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? 13:42 - Mar 29 with 4499 viewsMaySixth

If you have Beattie surely you have Mills and Wark.

We could have a lot of statues.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2019 13:42]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:03 - Mar 29 with 3649 viewsSteve_M

Crawford and Phillips definitely do.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:13 - Mar 29 with 3632 viewsIllinoisblue

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:03 - Mar 29 by Steve_M

exactly. As someone suggested on here, instead of a Beattie statue (where's it going to be placed btw?) there should be some kind of "Wall of Fame" built to honour all our heroes.

Not that it has to be a contest, but to name just one, Mick Mills is far more deserving of a statue than Beattie. Record ITFC appearances, captain of club and country.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:20 - Mar 29 with 3606 viewsMrTown

Mick McCarthy & Terry Conor

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:20 - Mar 29 with 3604 viewsPJH

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:13 - Mar 29 by Illinoisblue

exactly. As someone suggested on here, instead of a Beattie statue (where's it going to be placed btw?) there should be some kind of "Wall of Fame" built to honour all our heroes.

Not that it has to be a contest, but to name just one, Mick Mills is far more deserving of a statue than Beattie. Record ITFC appearances, captain of club and country.

There is already the walkway behind The Co-Op stand which has bricks honouring our greats and not so great but perhaps there could be something else created.

As you say, it is not a contest so I am not going to get involved in debating who is most deserving of a statue except to say that The Beat is generally recognised as our best ever both by those that were lucky enough to see him play and those that actually played with him.
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:21 - Mar 29 with 3609 viewsITFC_Forever

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:13 - Mar 29 by Illinoisblue

I think the plan is it will go on the corner of PR and the entrance to the car park (opposite Planet Blue).

My concern with the statue idea for Beattie was also what happens when other legends also pass away - but when you listen to any of Beattie's teammates, he was always peer-less - and they are more than happy to agree on him being our best ever and the most worthy of a statue.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:25 - Mar 29 with 3598 viewsPJH

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:21 - Mar 29 by ITFC_Forever

I think the plan is it will go on the corner of PR and the entrance to the car park (opposite Planet Blue).

My concern with the statue idea for Beattie was also what happens when other legends also pass away - but when you listen to any of Beattie's teammates, he was always peer-less - and they are more than happy to agree on him being our best ever and the most worthy of a statue.

Leeds have the Billy Bremner statue,I do not think that they have any other ex players recognised in that way.

I do not know if it was commissioned before of after he passed away but I think that, just as The Beat is here,he is seen as their best ever among a lot of greats.

edit-just looked it up,Billy Bremner statue was after he passed away.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2019 14:30]
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:35 - Mar 29 with 3587 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I still believe we should have a wall of fame. Think the statue situation is slightly different for the Beat, as he is considered by most our best ever player.

But the wall of fame is a great idea.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:45 - Mar 29 with 3565 viewsITFC_Forever

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:35 - Mar 29 by TRUE_BLUE123

I still believe we should have a wall of fame. Think the statue situation is slightly different for the Beat, as he is considered by most our best ever player.

But the wall of fame is a great idea.

Somewhere physical for the Hall of Famers to be recognised?

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:52 - Mar 29 with 3554 viewsitfcjoe

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:25 - Mar 29 by PJH

Leeds have the Billy Bremner statue,I do not think that they have any other ex players recognised in that way.

I do not know if it was commissioned before of after he passed away but I think that, just as The Beat is here,he is seen as their best ever among a lot of greats.

edit-just looked it up,Billy Bremner statue was after he passed away.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2019 14:30]

The only thing I'd say about that is Bremner played nearly 600 games for Leeds and was captain as they won the League twice, FA Cup and more.

Beattie, whilst undoubtedly our best ever player made just 300 appearances.

I think, Bremner was both Leeds best ever player, and their greatest ever player - I would say from what i understand that Beattie was our best every player - but that a number had a far greater impact here including both Warky and Mick Mills.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:55 - Mar 29 with 3545 viewsGeoffSentence

I think it is generally considered to be polite to wait until they have passed away.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:56 - Mar 29 with 3545 viewsitfcjoe

The scupltor for this one, was due to be meeting with the Leicester chairman the Monday after his tragic accident. They were due to be doing a statue of the whole Leicester squad to commemorate winning the league.

Been shelved for now

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:57 - Mar 29 with 3529 viewsOxford_Blue

Graham Harbey?
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:04 - Mar 29 with 3499 viewsIllinoisblue

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:55 - Mar 29 by GeoffSentence

I think it is generally considered to be polite to wait until they have passed away.

Sir Bob was still alive to see his statue

62 - 78 - 81

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:11 - Mar 29 with 3476 viewsTractorCam

This was the problem I had, where does it end? With Sir Bob and Sir Alf you've got our 2 and England's 2 best managers, if you start adding players it could go on for ages like someone has said with Mills, Wark etc.

The statue looks really, really impressive, but I think doing something like naming the training ground after him etc would have been good.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:11 - Mar 29 with 3466 viewsIllinoisblue

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:45 - Mar 29 by ITFC_Forever

Somewhere physical for the Hall of Famers to be recognised?

some kind of shrine/monument, tastefully done. Brick construction. Flagpole in the middle proudly flying the ITFC flag. Big ITFC badge in the middle.

62 - 78 - 81

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:19 - Mar 29 with 3437 viewsPendejo

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:11 - Mar 29 by TractorCam

This was the problem I had, where does it end? With Sir Bob and Sir Alf you've got our 2 and England's 2 best managers, if you start adding players it could go on for ages like someone has said with Mills, Wark etc.

The statue looks really, really impressive, but I think doing something like naming the training ground after him etc would have been good.

Said it before, will say it again.

Frieze

https://www.aoc.gov/sites/default/files/styles/artwork-node/public/images/artwor

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPu-SUsUqX_Ip7gUDYU4y-Mivu

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:20 - Mar 29 with 3425 viewsfooters

The Adeyemi Infirmary

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:28 - Mar 29 with 3409 viewsPJH

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:52 - Mar 29 by itfcjoe

The only thing I'd say about that is Bremner played nearly 600 games for Leeds and was captain as they won the League twice, FA Cup and more.

Beattie, whilst undoubtedly our best ever player made just 300 appearances.

I think, Bremner was both Leeds best ever player, and their greatest ever player - I would say from what i understand that Beattie was our best every player - but that a number had a far greater impact here including both Warky and Mick Mills.

All true but if not for injuries Kevin Beattie would have been up there with Mick Mills in the number of appearances,unless he was sold of course.
Certainly over a much longer period of time in the case of Mick Mills and an accumulation over three spells with John Wark they made a greater impact on ITFC's history than KB.
Kevin Beattie made 157 of his 296 starts in the first three years of his first team career with the other 139 spread over six more seasons and he was only 27 when he made the last of them.

As I said earlier I could list more than a dozen players that "deserve" a statue but I still think that the idea of a statue for The Beat is a good and correct one.

I can honestly say that in my opinion a fit Kevin Beattie now would be worth the equivalent of any other current player in today's transfer market,I do not think that ITFC have ever had any other player that good.
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:29 - Mar 29 with 3399 viewsGeoffSentence

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:57 - Mar 29 by Oxford_Blue

Graham Harbey?

He could be posed skewing the ball into touch whilst under no pressure whatsoever.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:34 - Mar 29 with 3371 viewsitfcjoe

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:28 - Mar 29 by PJH

All true but if not for injuries Kevin Beattie would have been up there with Mick Mills in the number of appearances,unless he was sold of course.
Certainly over a much longer period of time in the case of Mick Mills and an accumulation over three spells with John Wark they made a greater impact on ITFC's history than KB.
Kevin Beattie made 157 of his 296 starts in the first three years of his first team career with the other 139 spread over six more seasons and he was only 27 when he made the last of them.

As I said earlier I could list more than a dozen players that "deserve" a statue but I still think that the idea of a statue for The Beat is a good and correct one.

I can honestly say that in my opinion a fit Kevin Beattie now would be worth the equivalent of any other current player in today's transfer market,I do not think that ITFC have ever had any other player that good.

But the Beat did have those injuries, and thus needs to be judged accordingly as we now have 20:20 hindsight when looking at it.

We are fortunate to be in a position whee the club has a number of genuine legends worthy of a statue - I would favour some busts or a walk of fame. It's a shame that Beat's injuries didn't allow him to be a player that there can be no argument over having a statue or not.

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:50 - Mar 29 with 3300 viewsPJH

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:34 - Mar 29 by itfcjoe

But the Beat did have those injuries, and thus needs to be judged accordingly as we now have 20:20 hindsight when looking at it.

We are fortunate to be in a position whee the club has a number of genuine legends worthy of a statue - I would favour some busts or a walk of fame. It's a shame that Beat's injuries didn't allow him to be a player that there can be no argument over having a statue or not.

The main argument for a Kevin Beattie statue is that he is and was generally recognised as our best ever and if it is accepted that he was our best ever then that alone sets him apart from everyone else.

I have seen every player that can realistically be described as an ITFC great in the prime of their ITFC career's and there are a lot of players that deserve an everlasting memorial of some sort so busts or a walk of fame is a very good idea but even then there would be arguments for an ex player that was not included.
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 18:16 - Mar 29 with 3164 viewsPecker

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:20 - Mar 29 by PJH

There is already the walkway behind The Co-Op stand which has bricks honouring our greats and not so great but perhaps there could be something else created.

As you say, it is not a contest so I am not going to get involved in debating who is most deserving of a statue except to say that The Beat is generally recognised as our best ever both by those that were lucky enough to see him play and those that actually played with him.

Some kind of modern art sculpture with the names of our hall of fames carved into it. Some blank spaces for future names. ( if needed )
What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 18:31 - Mar 29 with 3141 viewsmonty_radio

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 14:03 - Mar 29 by Steve_M

Stuck between Ian Crook or Batistuta - sort of monument to what we never had.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 18:45 - Mar 29 with 3122 viewsmonty_radio

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 15:50 - Mar 29 by PJH

The main argument for a Kevin Beattie statue is that he is and was generally recognised as our best ever and if it is accepted that he was our best ever then that alone sets him apart from everyone else.

I have seen every player that can realistically be described as an ITFC great in the prime of their ITFC career's and there are a lot of players that deserve an everlasting memorial of some sort so busts or a walk of fame is a very good idea but even then there would be arguments for an ex player that was not included.

You'd have to go on say-so for Tommy Parker and Doug Rees, wouldn't you?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What other Ipswich players deserve statues at Portman Road? on 19:03 - Mar 29 with 3086 viewsLord_Lucan

Andy Crane

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024