Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question to gardeners (pretty please) 09:23 - May 10 with 3386 viewsgiant_stow

I have a concrete patio - mrs ullaa wants it to be grass, but having dug a bit, I think the concrete might be hiding more concrete underneath, so digging it up isn't that attractive!

How much earth would I have to put on top of the concrete for grass to grow? Tried searching for answers but everyone seems to think differently.

Fake grass is out (not good for the bees she says)

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:35 - May 10 with 2978 viewsDubtractor

You need to get rid of all the concrete, otherwise it won't drain properly and the grass will be rubbish.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:36 - May 10 with 2965 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:35 - May 10 by Dubtractor

You need to get rid of all the concrete, otherwise it won't drain properly and the grass will be rubbish.

sh1t.

Thanks for the advice - appreciated.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:40 - May 10 with 2958 viewsWD19

Yeah, this unfortunately.

I have got an old, long buried, path running up the garden under the lawn and it just doesn't work. At some stage I am going to have to take the whole lot up.

I have been saying that for over 10 years though.... and living with a v.bare strip of lawn on one side of the garden.......
A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:44 - May 10 with 2940 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:40 - May 10 by WD19

Yeah, this unfortunately.

I have got an old, long buried, path running up the garden under the lawn and it just doesn't work. At some stage I am going to have to take the whole lot up.

I have been saying that for over 10 years though.... and living with a v.bare strip of lawn on one side of the garden.......

Thank you - that sounds like proof.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:50 - May 10 with 2918 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Bees don't like grass.....they like clover though.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:57 - May 10 with 2906 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:50 - May 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is that definitely the case? I can feel a deal coming on - clover all over the flowerbeds in return for fake grass!

(Thanks)

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:58 - May 10 with 2904 viewsfactual_blue

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 09:50 - May 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or it's actually hippies she's concerned about.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:02 - May 10 with 2896 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's an idea. If it's Mrs Ullaa who wants the grass, tell Mrs Ullaa get rid of the concrete herself

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:03 - May 10 with 2893 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:02 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

Here's an idea. If it's Mrs Ullaa who wants the grass, tell Mrs Ullaa get rid of the concrete herself

Yes indeed - I've no idea how this came to be my job. She's normally very reasonable, but I'm in a bit of a hole here.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:05 - May 10 with 2886 viewsSwansea_Blue

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:03 - May 10 by giant_stow

Yes indeed - I've no idea how this came to be my job. She's normally very reasonable, but I'm in a bit of a hole here.

Looks like your next couple of weekends sorted then. Happy bashing

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:06 - May 10 with 2884 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:05 - May 10 by Swansea_Blue

Looks like your next couple of weekends sorted then. Happy bashing

I can't tell you how excited I am about that prospect!

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:14 - May 10 with 2859 viewsElephantintheRoom

A grass patio is not a great idea if you want to use it for furniture etc. You could take up the first layer of concrete and put in some indian sandstone which mrs ulla might find attractive. Alas that needs scrubbing and sealing at least once a year to keep up appearances. Ooop north they use a lot of plastic grass which is the only grass that will grow on concrete.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:22 - May 10 with 2848 viewsStokieBlue

Just get fake grass, some of the more expensive ones are good nowadays.

I'm not sure that your small patio in inner London is going to make much difference to the bees - put some flowers in pots around the edge.

Cheaper than digging it all up and less maintenance as well.

Put your foot down.

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2019 10:22]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:30 - May 10 with 2835 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:22 - May 10 by StokieBlue

Just get fake grass, some of the more expensive ones are good nowadays.

I'm not sure that your small patio in inner London is going to make much difference to the bees - put some flowers in pots around the edge.

Cheaper than digging it all up and less maintenance as well.

Put your foot down.

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2019 10:22]

I'm noting all this down for the argument! There's definitely a deal to be done here - I'll research bee friendly plants.

Foot down indeed.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:31 - May 10 with 2833 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:14 - May 10 by ElephantintheRoom

A grass patio is not a great idea if you want to use it for furniture etc. You could take up the first layer of concrete and put in some indian sandstone which mrs ulla might find attractive. Alas that needs scrubbing and sealing at least once a year to keep up appearances. Ooop north they use a lot of plastic grass which is the only grass that will grow on concrete.

Our garden's also very shady, so I think oop north growing conditions probably apply in my little corner of the south.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:36 - May 10 with 2824 viewsBinner

How about a compromise. Artificial grass... no need to buy a lawnmower and you can watch footie on weekends instead of cutting it plus the concrete ceases to be a headache. Then have big tubs with stuff bees like; lavender, for example, is a bee magnet and has a strong scent.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:44 - May 10 with 2807 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:36 - May 10 by Binner

How about a compromise. Artificial grass... no need to buy a lawnmower and you can watch footie on weekends instead of cutting it plus the concrete ceases to be a headache. Then have big tubs with stuff bees like; lavender, for example, is a bee magnet and has a strong scent.

Thank you, I'm forming my case now - glad I asked everyone here as it's confirmed my suspicions.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:49 - May 10 with 2790 viewsWeWereZombies

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:31 - May 10 by giant_stow

Our garden's also very shady, so I think oop north growing conditions probably apply in my little corner of the south.

Neither concrete or artificial grass are that aesthetic, are they? Tile over the concrete with decent patio tiling and then have a range of pots and tubs with flowering plants that attract bees.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 11:15 - May 10 with 2742 viewsjeera

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:44 - May 10 by giant_stow

Thank you, I'm forming my case now - glad I asked everyone here as it's confirmed my suspicions.

You'll have your own hive in no time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 11:21 - May 10 with 2726 viewsgiant_stow

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:49 - May 10 by WeWereZombies

Neither concrete or artificial grass are that aesthetic, are they? Tile over the concrete with decent patio tiling and then have a range of pots and tubs with flowering plants that attract bees.

I agree mr - I think this whole thing is a waste of time, but shes got a bee in her bonnet.

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 11:38 - May 10 with 2694 viewsSwansea_Blue

We've got your back Ullaa - try this. She'll never know the difference

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 11:45 - May 10 with 2668 viewsRyorry

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:49 - May 10 by WeWereZombies

Artificial grass is so good nowadays I nearly put it in the master-bedroom when renovating the house, thinking of recreating environment of lazy hazy days of summer. It was only the thought of trying to hoover up the biscuit crumbs that got me to change my mind!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 13:51 - May 10 with 2508 viewsWeWereZombies

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 11:45 - May 10 by Ryorry

Artificial grass is so good nowadays I nearly put it in the master-bedroom when renovating the house, thinking of recreating environment of lazy hazy days of summer. It was only the thought of trying to hoover up the biscuit crumbs that got me to change my mind!

But surely when you know it is not real grass then it must nag at you?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 00:02 - May 11 with 2373 viewsnorfsufblue

A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 10:03 - May 10 by giant_stow

You may well be when you've got rid of the concrete!
A question to gardeners (pretty please) on 06:30 - May 11 with 2295 viewsdickie

This isn't always true, depends how much soil you can put on top and whether there's anywhere for the water to run off of the concrete to. I've got an old garage base buried under about 9 inches of soil but there's plenty of drainage around it (our soil conditions are really good with sandy heathland underneath that). The grass grows really well
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024