Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2nd referendum 09:14 - May 12 with 23903 viewsgazzer1999

For all those that are seeking a 2nd referendum are you using the upcoming euro elections as just that?. It would be a good way for you to prove a point by not voting Labour or Conservative, and instead voting Libdems as they are the only party that have said they want to stay in the EU and have a clear way forward.
On the other hand if the Brexit Party get the most votes will they accept that they could not win a 2nd referendum?
2nd referendum on 12:06 - May 13 with 995 viewsBangor31

2nd referendum on 14:46 - May 12 by Herbivore

Which food would it make cheaper? Through the EU we have free trade agreements with a number of other food producing countries. For example, we import oranges from South Africa tariff free.

Your figures are way off in terms of what we hand over, it was 3bn in 2015 and I doubt it's gone up six fold since then. It's also not our money we're handing over, we trade as part of a bloc which sets and collects the tariffs. We get 20% for the local collection and administration of them.

And if you think going tariff free on imports is a good idea then good for you, I'm not sure any British producers or manufacturers would agree with you when the US, China and India start flooding us with cheap, sub-par produce and put British companies out of business.

what you find with food deals is that they are seldom food types that a member state are able to produce.

the oranges you speak of being free trade with RSA i don't believe they are free of tariffs:

- 1st June to 15th October, during which no duty shall apply; and

- then from 16th October to 30th November the tariff steadily reduces of 10 years, year 9 of 10 is 9% of the basic duty.

both of these deals are outside of the Spanish season (i think, happy for someone to correct me)

agree with you that having all tariffs at 0% from the get go is silly but we should aim to have a decreasing tariff structure in many of our industries so that we are competitive on the world stage.

source: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2015/october/tradoc_153915.pdf
[Post edited 13 May 2019 12:07]
2nd referendum on 18:29 - May 13 with 907 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 10:10 - May 13 by Darth_Koont

Well, that's the Eurozone and not the EU. And a particular set of rules and commitments the Greek government basically signed up to through fraud. In the aftermath, I think the Greek population got better consideration and handling as part of the EU than out of it.

We're talking about the EU and our relationship to it. This idea that it's a block to wealth redistribution is loony. That's pretty much the aim and result of the four freedoms.

You do realise the poor Greek people will never be out of debt to the EU, because of what has been forced upon them. Can you imagine the outrage in this country if we were ordered to have austerity enforced upon us by the EU, as is happening in Greece. Pensioners having to take a 50% cut in their pensions, youth unemployment at record levels, but its ok the EU says thats what has to happen. If they really cared about Greece and all the southern countries they would have bailed them out and helped them properly, instead they enforce punitive repayments that Greece will never afford to repay. I guess thats what you get with the EU but at least thats one country that has to toe the line as they are bought and paid for.
And for the record Britain is the only country in the EU that meets its target on overseas aid and spending commitment towards NATO.
2nd referendum on 19:47 - May 13 with 870 viewsreusersfreekicks

2nd referendum on 10:18 - May 12 by TractorWood

Cameron's naïve approach was the issue. Public opinion on capital punishment has been generally been in favour of limited reintroduction since the mid-60's. However, whenever it gets remotely close to the legislature it gets slapped down with condescension.

Direct democracy only works if people understand the complexity of the issue. Which, in both cases the electorate does not. It should never have been a binding referendum.

Precisely!
2nd referendum on 19:53 - May 13 with 858 viewsDarth_Koont

2nd referendum on 18:29 - May 13 by gazzer1999

You do realise the poor Greek people will never be out of debt to the EU, because of what has been forced upon them. Can you imagine the outrage in this country if we were ordered to have austerity enforced upon us by the EU, as is happening in Greece. Pensioners having to take a 50% cut in their pensions, youth unemployment at record levels, but its ok the EU says thats what has to happen. If they really cared about Greece and all the southern countries they would have bailed them out and helped them properly, instead they enforce punitive repayments that Greece will never afford to repay. I guess thats what you get with the EU but at least thats one country that has to toe the line as they are bought and paid for.
And for the record Britain is the only country in the EU that meets its target on overseas aid and spending commitment towards NATO.

That's the EuroZone. And shows how much the Greeks had control but fecked it up.

The thing about taking control is that it also involves taking responsibility.

Edit: And just to say, I am very sympathetic to the average Greek person who didn't deserve to be sold down the river by their own elected government. Seem familiar?
[Post edited 13 May 2019 19:55]

Pronouns: He/Him

2nd referendum on 21:01 - May 13 with 813 viewsWeWereZombies

2nd referendum on 18:29 - May 13 by gazzer1999

And yet the Republic of Ireland, when faced with catastrophic debts as a result of the banking crisis, took the hit and sorted its way through the mire to come out the other side. Bruised, its true, but back on track now. Perhaps the blame you are throwing at the European Union could be more fairly given to rich Greeks who fail to comply with their own country's tax regime and leave it, and the ordinary Greek, impoverished unnecessarily.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

2nd referendum on 21:41 - May 13 with 793 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 21:01 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

And yet the Republic of Ireland, when faced with catastrophic debts as a result of the banking crisis, took the hit and sorted its way through the mire to come out the other side. Bruised, its true, but back on track now. Perhaps the blame you are throwing at the European Union could be more fairly given to rich Greeks who fail to comply with their own country's tax regime and leave it, and the ordinary Greek, impoverished unnecessarily.

They were forced to vote twice remember.
2nd referendum on 21:51 - May 13 with 791 viewsWeWereZombies

2nd referendum on 21:41 - May 13 by gazzer1999

They were forced to vote twice remember.

That's a different subject, and quite a complex one too. I will let eireblue answer that one. But I guess you have accepted my comparison of the robust response of the Irish compared to a less than cohesive one from the Greeks when faced with a fiscal crisis?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024