Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State of the Board Discussion 18:16 - Jun 5 with 60596 viewsPhilTWTD

Another not overly pleasant day on here, even though we've had a signing, even if not a particularly high profile one.

Despite its not particularly brilliant or insightful starting point the 'All these protesters' thread has rather got to the crux of one of the bigger issues at the moment.

There are a number of posters who, rather than engaging in debate on an issue - political, brexit-related usually - post an insult aimed at a group they disagree with or something deliberately inflammatory without having any intention of involving themselves in any actual debate. It's all got very snipey, not just at other users but in a wider sense, protesters being today's target.

The forum has always been a friendly, inclusive place, welcoming to all, a community. Disagreements and argument maybe, but for the most part there's been an underlying geniality and good humour, posters have helped one another out and looked out for one another. This does appear to be being undermined by the recent unpleasant undertone.

While we've always been the ones running the site, we've never sought to be overly dictatorial. We've often put matters relating to it to posters. I don't particularly like banning people (although we have banned one user as Gav had an investigate and discovered a long-banned user with a new name), I usually give posters more than enough warnings to give them ample chance to use the board in line with the manner in which most others post.

Should we be a bit more draconian in how we police this sort of thing? Getting a bit fed up with how the last few days have progressed. We've gone from abuse PMs being a rarity to them becoming frequent most days. Have had a fair bit going on away from TWTD lately and haven't really needed the additional unnecessary hassle.

Obviously the sort of nonsense outlined above needs to end or we will have to ban a few more users, but any thoughts on how else we can try to get things back to normal?
State of the Board Discussion on 20:41 - Jun 5 with 2778 viewsShropshireBluenago09

State of the Board Discussion on 20:29 - Jun 5 by Reuser_is_God

Unfortunately Phil I think TWTD has become a victim of modern society where people cannot accept somebody else has a different opinion to them.

I’d introduce 30 day bans given without warning, just a 2 liner explaining why you’ve taken the decision to impose the ban.

For what it’s worth, the country as a whole is more divided and that shows on here. Possibly some are not used to being challenged or having a different POV

Gus Uhlenbeek

State of the Board Discussion on 20:42 - Jun 5 with 2771 viewsRyorry

Been out most of the day & not seen the thread in question, but fwiw I'd say -

Forced ignores, definitely.

Locking threads much sooner, so steam doesn't build up enough for things to blow.

Remove the voting facility from people who abuse it by blanket downvoting those who they've fallen out with? I believe that's possible with most forum software, (tho I suppose there's the risk it might also increase the creation of multiple log-ins!)

Ban seriously abusive people who are serial offenders, and try to run a screening process at the registration stage so they can't just set themselves up with a new account. I found on my racing forum that a few simple questions worked surprisingly well.

I think you do need more mods of some kind, as the site's become more popular, the membership's grown, the football's obv not been going well, the politics is even more fraught than usual, and both you & Gav have acquired extra roles since TWTD was started - so really, you simply can't be expected to do it all, and the self-policing obviously hasn't been going too well!

However, I think the only way user-mods could work is a) for those selected to remain anonymous, b) for them not to have the power to make big decisions such as banning, but to refer those to yourself/Gav; and for you to pick people who don't have "history" with any other users.

Appreciate all the hard work you put in on this site - and for free too! - thank you both.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

State of the Board Discussion on 20:43 - Jun 5 with 2771 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 20:41 - Jun 5 by ShropshireBluenago09

For what it’s worth, the country as a whole is more divided and that shows on here. Possibly some are not used to being challenged or having a different POV

Partly, but I also think a problem arises when people don't actually engage with any counter arguments, or don't even bother to make any.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

State of the Board Discussion on 20:44 - Jun 5 with 2765 viewsSarge

State of the Board Discussion on 20:35 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

Wasn't sure if you were trying to hide your actual real love of Dairylea.

I have to confess, I didn’t know Shropshire blue was actually a cheese. I thought I was being funny.
State of the Board Discussion on 20:45 - Jun 5 with 2758 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 20:44 - Jun 5 by Sarge

I have to confess, I didn’t know Shropshire blue was actually a cheese. I thought I was being funny.

Found the Babybel fan.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

State of the Board Discussion on 20:49 - Jun 5 with 2738 viewsSarge

State of the Board Discussion on 20:45 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

Found the Babybel fan.

That’s libel mate, I’ll have you for that. A dairylea sandwich with cucumber is a pleasant, if a little bland, snack. A babybel is what you seal envelopes with.
State of the Board Discussion on 20:52 - Jun 5 with 2737 viewsBluefish

Been quite a few of these post a from you lately. Presumably you send regular red flashies to the naughty people and then announce on here you are banning them and then repeatedly ban them like you always have done with me?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

State of the Board Discussion on 20:52 - Jun 5 with 2728 viewsfooters

State of the Board Discussion on 20:43 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

Partly, but I also think a problem arises when people don't actually engage with any counter arguments, or don't even bother to make any.

That's a very good point, SpruceMoose.

One of the frustrations with threads about politics/science/whatever is that they usually contain posters who have no real intent to engage with arguments, rational or otherwise. This is a qualitative issue so difficult to judge. But there are many people on here, myself included, who like posting in proper debates, where both sides are respected and have their views but can back them up with reason and evidence.

For that to be the case all the time is fantasy, I know, but it seems a few posters just rock up with a line or two in every response, not engaging with the point at hand, or playing some cheap semantic trick to get out of it. It's frustrating to debate with posters like that. And pointless.

Again, not sure what modmins do about that. But bear in mind that some posts have veered into causing potential public health issues with regard to vaccines so there are dangerous elements around.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

State of the Board Discussion on 20:53 - Jun 5 with 2718 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 20:49 - Jun 5 by Sarge

That’s libel mate, I’ll have you for that. A dairylea sandwich with cucumber is a pleasant, if a little bland, snack. A babybel is what you seal envelopes with.

Tip: when you fancy a baby bell, Port Salut is the cheese you can eat without being shamed

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

State of the Board Discussion on 20:55 - Jun 5 with 2714 viewsSarge

State of the Board Discussion on 20:53 - Jun 5 by wkj

Tip: when you fancy a baby bell, Port Salut is the cheese you can eat without being shamed

I’m confused. Fancy a babybel? Has that ever happened?
State of the Board Discussion on 20:57 - Jun 5 with 2704 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 20:55 - Jun 5 by Sarge

I’m confused. Fancy a babybel? Has that ever happened?

😉 I won't tell

Crybaby

State of the Board Discussion on 20:57 - Jun 5 with 2701 viewsKieran_Knows

State of the Board Discussion on 18:44 - Jun 5 by PJH

Just speaking personally I had not even looked at the "All these protesters" thread so I had no idea what has been going on on there.
I tend to only look at things on here that interest me so that is largely football threads as I am not all that interested in politics nor am I interested in some of the other sports that crop up on here.
I do look at threads such as this though because I think that it is all of our interests to assist you and Gav in any way that we can because this is usually a very nice place to spend some time apart from keeping us very well informed on what supposedly is a large part of all or most of our lives in ITFC.
I did say in your previous thread about abuse that I believed that TWTD is not as good now as it was twelve months ago and whilst that post of mine was slightly flippant it was based on a genuine feeling that this forum has declined. I have only been a member of it for just over four years but, possibly reflecting ITFC's woes, I think this last year has been the least enjoyable.
As to how you solve these problems I do not know but the suggested short term bans plus a final warning at the end of one of these bans that further misbehavior would lead to a permanent ban would seem to be a sensible option.
As I say, having only been on here four years I am very much a new boy but as I also say, I am not enjoying TWTD as much as I did so doing something to get it back to how it used to be would be fine with me.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 9:07]

Absolutely this. Forum has been a bit of a sh*t show these past 2-3 months and even I’ve started using it less (maybe that’s a good thing - for those on here and myself, ha!).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

State of the Board Discussion on 20:58 - Jun 5 with 2692 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 20:57 - Jun 5 by Kieran_Knows

Absolutely this. Forum has been a bit of a sh*t show these past 2-3 months and even I’ve started using it less (maybe that’s a good thing - for those on here and myself, ha!).

It's not. You are my favourite scooper and all knowing user

Crybaby

State of the Board Discussion on 21:02 - Jun 5 with 2680 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

State of the Board Discussion on 19:41 - Jun 5 by JETPower

As a starting point, do not accept hate speech. If you cannot identify (all) hate speech, you have to appoint someone who can.

The rest follows, the rot starts there. Needs to be a minimum standard applied, and it is clear that needs to be higher.

Sorry to be so negative, but take it as a positive that all your work over many years means that this does matter, really think a lot of people care an awful lot about the site. If you want the forum to be nicer again, I'm afraid you have to confront the most blatant nastiness.

"As a starting point, do not accept hate speech. If you cannot identify (all) hate speech, you have to appoint someone who can."

.......let's be sure that person isn't you.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

State of the Board Discussion on 21:34 - Jun 5 with 2589 viewsPhilTWTD

State of the Board Discussion on 20:52 - Jun 5 by Bluefish

Been quite a few of these post a from you lately. Presumably you send regular red flashies to the naughty people and then announce on here you are banning them and then repeatedly ban them like you always have done with me?

Act like an arse and you'll get warnings and PMs, whoever you are.
State of the Board Discussion on 21:36 - Jun 5 with 2571 viewshoppy

State of the Board Discussion on 20:58 - Jun 5 by wkj

It's not. You are my favourite scooper and all knowing user

Bet you'd even meet up for a pint with him too...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

State of the Board Discussion on 21:36 - Jun 5 with 2578 viewsBlueForYou

Personally I visit the board to keep abreast of all news about Ipswich Town FC. A subject for which I have much passion. For anything else I look elsewhere. Why don’t you have an off topic section?
State of the Board Discussion on 21:37 - Jun 5 with 2562 viewshoppy

State of the Board Discussion on 21:36 - Jun 5 by BlueForYou

Personally I visit the board to keep abreast of all news about Ipswich Town FC. A subject for which I have much passion. For anything else I look elsewhere. Why don’t you have an off topic section?

There is... you can view football only posts if you so wish.

State of the Board Discussion on 21:38 - Jun 5 with 2563 viewswkj

There is a filter button for football and non football posts, but quite a few people tend to miss that somehow

Crybaby

State of the Board Discussion on 21:39 - Jun 5 with 2563 viewsSwansea_Blue

FWIW, I think you guys have got the running of this place spot in. Personally I wouldn’t do anything right now. Maybe just see how this reminder of board etiquette helps? I’ve seen other forums where you have user mods and it can upset the natural flow, as the mods get dragged into debates and may not respond consistently. We’re actually a tight run ship here already compared to many. You don’t stand any nonsense, threats, excessive swearing, etc., and we know where the lines are. Anyone who oversteps them gets dealt with.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

State of the Board Discussion on 21:40 - Jun 5 with 2554 viewsjeera

It could be labelled 'General' or something.

Good idea I reckon.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

State of the Board Discussion on 21:40 - Jun 5 with 2552 viewsNazemariner

Get the ban hammer out Phil.
State of the Board Discussion on 21:41 - Jun 5 with 2547 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 21:40 - Jun 5 by Nazemariner

Get the ban hammer out Phil.

Keep up. That part has been and gone already

Crybaby

State of the Board Discussion on 21:42 - Jun 5 with 2544 viewshoppy

State of the Board Discussion on 21:39 - Jun 5 by Swansea_Blue

FWIW, I think you guys have got the running of this place spot in. Personally I wouldn’t do anything right now. Maybe just see how this reminder of board etiquette helps? I’ve seen other forums where you have user mods and it can upset the natural flow, as the mods get dragged into debates and may not respond consistently. We’re actually a tight run ship here already compared to many. You don’t stand any nonsense, threats, excessive swearing, etc., and we know where the lines are. Anyone who oversteps them gets dealt with.

What is this 'other forums' thing you speak of?

State of the Board Discussion on 21:43 - Jun 5 with 2534 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 21:42 - Jun 5 by hoppy

What is this 'other forums' thing you speak of?

Plumsnet

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024