Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State of the Board Discussion 18:16 - Jun 5 with 60823 viewsPhilTWTD

Another not overly pleasant day on here, even though we've had a signing, even if not a particularly high profile one.

Despite its not particularly brilliant or insightful starting point the 'All these protesters' thread has rather got to the crux of one of the bigger issues at the moment.

There are a number of posters who, rather than engaging in debate on an issue - political, brexit-related usually - post an insult aimed at a group they disagree with or something deliberately inflammatory without having any intention of involving themselves in any actual debate. It's all got very snipey, not just at other users but in a wider sense, protesters being today's target.

The forum has always been a friendly, inclusive place, welcoming to all, a community. Disagreements and argument maybe, but for the most part there's been an underlying geniality and good humour, posters have helped one another out and looked out for one another. This does appear to be being undermined by the recent unpleasant undertone.

While we've always been the ones running the site, we've never sought to be overly dictatorial. We've often put matters relating to it to posters. I don't particularly like banning people (although we have banned one user as Gav had an investigate and discovered a long-banned user with a new name), I usually give posters more than enough warnings to give them ample chance to use the board in line with the manner in which most others post.

Should we be a bit more draconian in how we police this sort of thing? Getting a bit fed up with how the last few days have progressed. We've gone from abuse PMs being a rarity to them becoming frequent most days. Have had a fair bit going on away from TWTD lately and haven't really needed the additional unnecessary hassle.

Obviously the sort of nonsense outlined above needs to end or we will have to ban a few more users, but any thoughts on how else we can try to get things back to normal?
State of the Board Discussion on 16:12 - Jun 6 with 2123 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

State of the Board Discussion on 16:10 - Jun 6 by Herbivore

No worries babe x

That feels wrong :)
I can’t work out if you were winding me up before. Do blokes really say that now. I am genuinely asking.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 16:14]
State of the Board Discussion on 16:15 - Jun 6 with 2108 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 16:12 - Jun 6 by never_lose_the_faith

That feels wrong :)
I can’t work out if you were winding me up before. Do blokes really say that now. I am genuinely asking.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 16:14]

But so right....

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

State of the Board Discussion on 16:16 - Jun 6 with 2106 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 16:02 - Jun 6 by never_lose_the_faith

I think you have worded that to cleverly for my little brain, it seems poignant but I can’t quite understand it.

Put simply, the Second World War was a result of the First World War. Hitler's militarism and aggression was popular because of perceived injury from the Treaty of Versailles and the post-war struggles of Germany.

Despite the fact that they had been on the side that started the First World War in the first place and had seen the loss of 8 million of their own troops and civilians and 15-odd million in total.

So they used history but didn't learn from it and that then caused 70+ million deaths. Life (and borders and people's lives) then went back to being what they would have been anyway.

It's a different and much less lethal battleground but that's what Brexit is. It's a fight that will cause damage and loss — and then we'll go back to how things were going to be anyway. Just that Britain will have been on the wrong and losing side.

Pronouns: He/Him

State of the Board Discussion on 16:16 - Jun 6 with 2106 viewsGeoffSentence

State of the Board Discussion on 16:10 - Jun 6 by never_lose_the_faith

If you have time can you please tell me everything I should like and value because I am obviously wrong.

Would it be fair to say that you were brough up in a time and a place where it was unusual for men to use terms like 'hun' amongst one another?

That this is something from outside of your culture?

Herbie and Sprucey, maybe you need to be more culturally aware.

Just saying.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

State of the Board Discussion on 16:19 - Jun 6 with 2096 viewsSouperJim

I've been involved in the odd political thread on here lately and there clearly is an on-going slanging match between one or two groups. Politics is a very emotive subject of course and I'm far from perfect when there is a point I want to make, but the vendettas leave a sour taste in the mouth.

I do find the almost daily threads having a pop at one political side or the other unnecessarily inflammatory. Yes discuss current affairs, but do we really need multiple threads per week making the same arguments?

In terms of insults and nasty comments, some of the to-ing and fro-ing in this very thread speaks for itself. Tiresome. I've often felt down the years that the forum gets a bit cliquey at times and this surely makes it less accessible to those who don't post every day, without running battles spilling into every other thread.

I'm sure it'll all blow over once Brexit is out of the way and Ipswich win the league... erm?

Anyways, love the place. Keep up the good work fellas, just don't be afraid to slap temporary bans on one or two who can't consistently behave like adults imho.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

State of the Board Discussion on 16:25 - Jun 6 with 2057 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 16:16 - Jun 6 by GeoffSentence

Would it be fair to say that you were brough up in a time and a place where it was unusual for men to use terms like 'hun' amongst one another?

That this is something from outside of your culture?

Herbie and Sprucey, maybe you need to be more culturally aware.

Just saying.

SUQ

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

State of the Board Discussion on 16:27 - Jun 6 with 2049 viewsGeoffSentence

State of the Board Discussion on 16:25 - Jun 6 by SpruceMoose

SUQ

That's well within my cultural scope.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

State of the Board Discussion on 16:28 - Jun 6 with 2045 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 16:27 - Jun 6 by GeoffSentence

That's well within my cultural scope.

I bet it is

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

State of the Board Discussion on 16:40 - Jun 6 with 2015 viewsJ2BLUE

State of the Board Discussion on 16:02 - Jun 6 by Herbivore

Maybe you need to think about why you feel that way.

I have to say something here. This is exactly what is helping to ruin the board IMO. It's great that this is an inclusive board but i'm tired of people looking for offence where there was none. I think what he is saying is that it's far more likely to be sarcastic coming from a man and on an internet forum you would go with the most likely interpretation. Instead you're trying to make something of it. Why?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

State of the Board Discussion on 16:44 - Jun 6 with 1985 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 16:40 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

I have to say something here. This is exactly what is helping to ruin the board IMO. It's great that this is an inclusive board but i'm tired of people looking for offence where there was none. I think what he is saying is that it's far more likely to be sarcastic coming from a man and on an internet forum you would go with the most likely interpretation. Instead you're trying to make something of it. Why?

Offence? I'm not offended, just encouraging him to reflect of why he thinks the use of the word hun is an issue if used by a man but not if used by a woman. It's just a word. I seem to bunch your knickers J2 for some reason, so put me on ignore if I bother you.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 16:45]

State of the Board Discussion on 16:46 - Jun 6 with 1967 viewsgiant_stow

State of the Board Discussion on 16:44 - Jun 6 by Herbivore

Offence? I'm not offended, just encouraging him to reflect of why he thinks the use of the word hun is an issue if used by a man but not if used by a woman. It's just a word. I seem to bunch your knickers J2 for some reason, so put me on ignore if I bother you.

Any more of this and I'll move this thread to the contentious sub board.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

State of the Board Discussion on 16:47 - Jun 6 with 1960 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 16:46 - Jun 6 by giant_stow

Any more of this and I'll move this thread to the contentious sub board.

WOTB?

State of the Board Discussion on 16:49 - Jun 6 with 1945 viewsgiant_stow

State of the Board Discussion on 16:47 - Jun 6 by Darth_Koont

WOTB?

Brute!!!!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

State of the Board Discussion on 16:50 - Jun 6 with 1940 viewsbluefunk

maybe you aren’t offended but you appear to be unable to appreciate why you cause offence to others and dressing it up as some altruistic attempt to improve them. I agree wholeheartedly with J2 here
State of the Board Discussion on 16:51 - Jun 6 with 1937 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

State of the Board Discussion on 16:40 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

I’m used to it by now. It’s ridiculous. The trouble is I am not the type to make snidy remarks, I will just tell people like that to eff off, then they will play the victim. I know that is what they are looking for so have to bite my lip.
State of the Board Discussion on 16:52 - Jun 6 with 1933 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you really saying you encouraging him to think about why he used that word wasn't a hint about homophobia?

You don't 'bunch my knickers' but you don't ever seem to give anyone a chance if they post something which could be taken the wrong way.

Truly impaired.

State of the Board Discussion on 16:52 - Jun 6 with 1929 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 16:49 - Jun 6 by giant_stow

Brute!!!!

Haha! Sorry.

You gave me the back pass. I just had to air-kick it into the goal.

State of the Board Discussion on 16:52 - Jun 6 with 1927 viewsJ2BLUE

State of the Board Discussion on 16:50 - Jun 6 by bluefunk

maybe you aren’t offended but you appear to be unable to appreciate why you cause offence to others and dressing it up as some altruistic attempt to improve them. I agree wholeheartedly with J2 here

Thank you. Glad it isn't just me.

Truly impaired.

State of the Board Discussion on 16:54 - Jun 6 with 1911 viewsSouperJim

Possibly for the same reason a phrase like "bunch your knickers" directed at a man would. It's using gender stereotypes as reverse insults. Or something?

I say stuff like "thanks babe" to my male friends when I'm taking the mick. The intent is fairly clear, no?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

State of the Board Discussion on 16:55 - Jun 6 with 1908 viewschicoazul

There is nothing wrong with the board whatsoever, it's exactly the same as it's ever been. No changes are required.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

State of the Board Discussion on 16:56 - Jun 6 with 1891 viewsDarth_Koont

State of the Board Discussion on 16:52 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

Are you really saying you encouraging him to think about why he used that word wasn't a hint about homophobia?

You don't 'bunch my knickers' but you don't ever seem to give anyone a chance if they post something which could be taken the wrong way.

Surely, if challenged, people just say what they really mean?

This culture of people getting precious about being challenged and disagreed with ... that's why there are so many crap, baseless opinions (and angry "snowflakes") out there.

State of the Board Discussion on 16:59 - Jun 6 with 1873 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 16:50 - Jun 6 by bluefunk

If someone is offended by being asked to think about something then there really isn't much helping them.

State of the Board Discussion on 17:02 - Jun 6 with 1847 viewsbluefunk

State of the Board Discussion on 16:59 - Jun 6 by Herbivore

If someone is offended by being asked to think about something then there really isn't much helping them.

Are you sure it’s not just because you feel you are the arbiter of what should be the correct opinion? Maybe you should think about that.

I’ll leave it there

(Edited for spelling)
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 17:04]
State of the Board Discussion on 17:03 - Jun 6 with 1844 viewsJ2BLUE

State of the Board Discussion on 16:56 - Jun 6 by Darth_Koont

Surely, if challenged, people just say what they really mean?

This culture of people getting precious about being challenged and disagreed with ... that's why there are so many crap, baseless opinions (and angry "snowflakes") out there.

No, sorry, his line about needing to think why he felt that way showed the way he was trying to push it.

Anyway, i've said my piece. I'm not getting into an argument in a thread about arguments. I've got the classic response of 'it's never us or how we talk to people, it's them who need to look at themselves' and been firmly put in my place

Truly impaired.

State of the Board Discussion on 17:04 - Jun 6 with 1840 viewsgiant_stow

State of the Board Discussion on 16:52 - Jun 6 by Darth_Koont

Haha! Sorry.

You gave me the back pass. I just had to air-kick it into the goal.

2 day ban for you m'laddie.

(I haven't been on WotB for years - think I might not be welcome!)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024