Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conservatives can never add up 08:00 - Jun 9 with 6695 viewsDarth_Koont

Gove: "My economic plan is driven by the need to increase investment, productivity and wages across the country, with a special focus on helping those areas and regions where productivity is lower."

Solution: Lower VAT ...

Already with the lowest corporate and income tax combination in Western Europe, how is the UK going to increase investment and help disadvantaged areas and regions by collecting even less tax? Magic beans?

Pronouns: He/Him

Conservatives can never add up on 18:10 - Jun 9 with 1122 viewseireblue

Conservatives can never add up on 17:55 - Jun 9 by xrayspecs

Not sure what point your post is trying to make.

That Brown and Blair did not choose to spend more than we were raising in income? No
That this left us poorly equipped to deal with the financial crisis? No

I think the point of that article, is to look at the real facts of government borrowing and debt repayment, by looking at the real numbers.

Nothing wrong with opinions.

However, seems to me, opinions should really be based on established facts.
Conservatives can never add up on 18:25 - Jun 9 with 1109 viewsWeWereZombies

Conservatives can never add up on 17:55 - Jun 9 by xrayspecs

Not sure what point your post is trying to make.

That Brown and Blair did not choose to spend more than we were raising in income? No
That this left us poorly equipped to deal with the financial crisis? No

To their credit the Blair administration did aim improve the lives of ordinary people economically and were prepared to borrow at the time with the intention of having greater revenues from Income Tax and National Insurance in the future to repay current borrowing, it was a bold strategy and relied upon their administration continuing or an incoming administration carrying on a similar strategy.

Despite having the mechanics in place to tackle the fallout from the banking crisis George Osborne decided to try and tax the poor to speed up closing the balance of payments deficit. The result was a tailing off of the increased taxation that could have been expected from a recovering economy, no improvement in the balance of payments and an increase in poverty:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-poverty-levels-income-living

Tax revenues have not collapsed but they are just bumbling along so a boost to social spending is likely to be cosmetic rather than emphatic:

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9178

One curious, and ever more relevant personally, factor I notice is that pensioners were at their worst off under Thatcher and have had a slightly improved lot under Cameron and May. Nothing to do with who is more likely to vote Conservative I am sure.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Conservatives can never add up on 10:05 - Jun 10 with 1055 viewsDarth_Koont

Part 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/boris-johnson-promise-tax-cut-r

"The former foreign secretary also argued in his column that “we should be cutting business taxes”, despite the UK already having one of the lowest rates of corporation tax among developed economies, with successive reductions taking it from 28% in 2008 to 19% now."

And Part 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on.

"Other leadership candidates have also promised tax cuts as they try to appeal to the 160,000 Conservative members who will vote for the prime minister from a shortlist of two picked by MPs. Jeremy Hunt, the foreign secretary, has pledged to use the no-deal “fiscal headroom” to slash corporation tax from 19% to just 12.5% — the same level as Ireland.

Dominic Raab, another leadership contender, was the first to promise lower income tax, saying the basic rate should fall from 20p to 15p over five years if he becomes prime minister. He has previously set out his view that the top rate of tax for those earning more than £150,000 should be scrapped altogether and that the higher rate should be cut to 35p."

Ideologically blinkered, selfishly feathering their own nests or just uncaring? Even if it's just about leadership votes what does this say about the Conservative membership and their values? It's basically the US Tea Party.

Conservatives can never add up on 10:15 - Jun 10 with 1035 viewsWhymarkmariner

If you've been around as long as I have all this guff that politicians come out with goes over your head. As for can't count Diane Abbott is not exactly Carol Vorderman in more than one way. At the end of the day the cake is the same size whichever party is leading the Country and they all have their different ways of carving it and us up.
Conservatives can never add up on 10:21 - Jun 10 with 1024 viewsDarth_Koont

Conservatives can never add up on 10:15 - Jun 10 by Whymarkmariner

If you've been around as long as I have all this guff that politicians come out with goes over your head. As for can't count Diane Abbott is not exactly Carol Vorderman in more than one way. At the end of the day the cake is the same size whichever party is leading the Country and they all have their different ways of carving it and us up.

Actually, here they're saying let's have a smaller cake. And it's up to individuals to sort themselves out.

Which of course, doesn't work in many individual cases and certainly not in disadvantaged and depressed communities where opportunities have been disappearing and will continue to do so.

Conservatives can never add up on 10:30 - Jun 10 with 1010 viewsElephantintheRoom

To be fair he is advocating replacing VAT with a variable rate purchase tax. So in theory you can lower the tax on things people don't buy (or only rich people buy) and increase the tax on other stuff and hey presto everyone is a winner. Or indeed lower tax to encourage more purchase. Also he is a tory seeking allies from within a cabal of rich tax dodgers and they cant all say the same thing, so he has said something a little different in an effort to then be elected by some old fats in the home counties IF he can get past Boris and Hunt.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Conservatives can never add up on 10:43 - Jun 10 with 999 viewsNo9

Conservatives can never add up on 15:08 - Jun 9 by xrayspecs

I do not think it was the bankers who spent the surplus that the previous government built up, sold our gold reserves for a pittance and spent beyond our means as an economy.

Good old Blair and Brown. Borrow today and worry about it tomorrow. [EDIT: Under the first few years of the Blair premiership, UK net borrowing continued the downward trend seen in the latter years of the Tory government. This was a manifesto commitment. The purse strings were loosened in 2001 when the UK started to again spend more than it raised in taxation, this increased through the Brown years].

TBF, the global recession made the situation a lot worse. But to absolve Labour of any responsibility for the worsening of the UK finances would be rewriting history.

1984 anyone?
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 16:05]

I recommend you read the official data in the NAO rahter than the Daily Mail
Conservatives can never add up on 10:44 - Jun 10 with 998 viewsNo9

Conservatives can never add up on 16:54 - Jun 9 by BloomBlue

That's why the country is booming, people forget it's businesses which drive the country not governments. Businesses create jobs which lead to paying taxes which the government then uses. If you attack businesses with increased taxes they will move countries.

Business isn't booming is it?
Login to get fewer ads

Conservatives can never add up on 10:50 - Jun 10 with 994 viewspickles110564

Conservatives can never add up on 10:44 - Jun 10 by No9

I think you find we are doing better than the EU, have you checked out their figures lately?
Unemployment is much higher in the EU than the UK.
We have never had it so good
Conservatives can never add up on 11:02 - Jun 10 with 985 viewsWeWereZombies

Conservatives can never add up on 10:50 - Jun 10 by pickles110564

I think you find we are doing better than the EU, have you checked out their figures lately?

We are a bit over half better than the average (6.5%) European Union unemployment rate at 3.8% but not up to Germany's 3.1%, slightly above the United States 3.9%. The concern is about a shift to lower pay and that means we probably have had it better at some times in the past, especially when you factor in the absurd cost of housing in England.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Conservatives can never add up on 11:03 - Jun 10 with 984 viewsNo9

Conservatives can never add up on 10:50 - Jun 10 by pickles110564

"We have never had it so good"

Speak for yourself, I have had it much, much better.

Oh and the economy is taking a hit - if you bother to look at the latest numbers.

The 'unemployment' numbers in the UK are not accurate
Conservatives can never add up on 11:54 - Jun 10 with 956 viewshampstead_blue

Conservatives can never add up on 08:16 - Jun 9 by jonbull88

It’s based on the trusted knowledge of lowering cost makes people buy things, lower a cost by a % and get a higher % buying should equal more income. Bit like ITFC, Lowering the season ticket price and sell a few more yet still have similar revenue 👍🏻
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 8:16]

the problem with lowering tax on consumption is that only those with disposable income will benefit.

A better solution would be to slowly increase income, reduce income tax, and increase tax on consumption.

That would give people the choice of paying tax.
If they chose to spend their surplus they get taxed. If they save then they don't.

Lower tax, but make sure EVERYONE pays. I hate those clever tax accountants who duck and weave. Get rid of them, make everyone pay, but not penalising the wealthy, and you will have a great income.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Conservatives can never add up on 12:00 - Jun 10 with 954 viewsBloomBlue

Conservatives can never add up on 10:44 - Jun 10 by No9

Yes it is, unemployment is really low. Some industries have changed but that always happens. The car industry for example but if you had seen the sh*t car industry in the UK in the late 70's / early 80's which the unions destroyed aka British Leyland you'll realise today the car industry is actually healthy.
Conservatives can never add up on 12:48 - Jun 10 with 925 viewsSwansea_Blue

Conservatives can never add up on 16:54 - Jun 9 by BloomBlue

That's why the country is booming, people forget it's businesses which drive the country not governments. Businesses create jobs which lead to paying taxes which the government then uses. If you attack businesses with increased taxes they will move countries.

"Booming"?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024