Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk 13:25 - Jun 10 with 4144 viewsGooders7592

I was wondering if people had any recommendations for Golf courses in and and around Suffolk?

I've played Felixstowe, Newmarket & both in Bury St Edmunds. Any other good ones in terms of condition/design or price?
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 13:52 - Jun 10 with 3143 viewsdickie

If you end up playing at Rushmere Heath be patient with walkers - it's a shared public space (not that the golfers remember that!)
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 13:56 - Jun 10 with 3132 viewsmos

‘Ipswich Golf Club’ in Purdis Heath is exceptional.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:10 - Jun 10 with 3098 viewsbluefunk

in addition to Ipswich and Rushmere previously mentioned Aldeburgh and Thorpeness are pretty good, although it’s a while since I played them - oh and if you’re playing Rushmere, keep it on the fairway, otherwise you’ll lose loads of balls
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 14:11]
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:12 - Jun 10 with 3086 viewsJakeITFC

Both courses at Stoke-by-Nayland are nice.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:19 - Jun 10 with 3072 viewspickles110564

It years since I played but the ESSEX and NORFOLK (I think that is what they were called).
If I remember correctly though if there had been a lot of rain the Norfolk fairways would be rather waterlogged.
Was there not a nice challenging 9 hole at Newton Green too?
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:29 - Jun 10 with 3048 viewslazyblue

Purdis is the best course although really enjoyed Stoke By Nayland when played in the ITFC golf days.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:31 - Jun 10 with 3046 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:19 - Jun 10 by pickles110564

It years since I played but the ESSEX and NORFOLK (I think that is what they were called).
If I remember correctly though if there had been a lot of rain the Norfolk fairways would be rather waterlogged.
Was there not a nice challenging 9 hole at Newton Green too?

Careful not to hook left on the first at Newton!

For the OP - Hintlesham is another decent local one in addition to some of those mentioned
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 14:31]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:34 - Jun 10 with 3032 viewsArnieM

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 13:56 - Jun 10 by mos

‘Ipswich Golf Club’ in Purdis Heath is exceptional.

Don’t you need to have a “ funny handshake” to get into that one, or own a business ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:36 - Jun 10 with 3026 viewspickles110564

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:31 - Jun 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Careful not to hook left on the first at Newton!

For the OP - Hintlesham is another decent local one in addition to some of those mentioned
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 14:31]

It been years but if I remember in summer the ball would run for miles at Hintlesham?
I always really liked Ufford Park.
My friends course at Seckford hall was in its infancy but looked like that was going to be good when it matured. Trying to remember who designed that course, Johnny someone maybe, sadly my memory is not what it was.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:41 - Jun 10 with 3011 viewsiamipswich

For me Aldeburgh is the best in Suffolk. Brilliantly looked after and has the awards to show for it. Also don't think it is too expensive. I don't recall paying more than £30 for a round and truth be told I would be unwilling to pay more than that wherever I was.

No Par 5's though which is shame. But the longer holes are easily long enough to get the Driver out and go at it full-bloodedly.

They recently refurbed the clubhouse too as it was quite tired and unwelcoming before. Much better now they've given it some much-needed TLC.

Poll: Who will return first?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:41 - Jun 10 with 3010 viewsSuperblue95

Clare has a nice little 9 hole course

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:48 - Jun 10 with 2995 viewsBornBlue

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 13:52 - Jun 10 by dickie

If you end up playing at Rushmere Heath be patient with walkers - it's a shared public space (not that the golfers remember that!)

And linking it to this fine football club, Rushmere was the club of choice for none other than Sir Alf Ramsey.

Woodbridge is where Charlie Woods played his golf, with Kieron Dyer also a member there these days.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:50 - Jun 10 with 2992 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:36 - Jun 10 by pickles110564

It been years but if I remember in summer the ball would run for miles at Hintlesham?
I always really liked Ufford Park.
My friends course at Seckford hall was in its infancy but looked like that was going to be good when it matured. Trying to remember who designed that course, Johnny someone maybe, sadly my memory is not what it was.

Yep spot on re Hintlesham - and is quite undulating in parts which can help too

Seckford is ok - I haven’t played in a couple of years thanks to now having a little one but from memory tended to be able to get some decent deals there, especially their twilight rates

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 17:33 - Jun 10 with 2859 viewsTractorWood

Thetford (usually very cheap), Cromer, Aldeburgh are all very different and exceptional quality. Appreciate Cromer may be a bit far.

Below that you have Woodbridge, Stowmarket, Hintlesham etc.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 17:38 - Jun 10 with 2846 viewsNthQldITFC

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:41 - Jun 10 by Superblue95

Clare has a nice little 9 hole course

Nine-course Clare has a nice little hole

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:02 - Jun 10 with 2815 viewsBlueForYou

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 17:33 - Jun 10 by TractorWood

Thetford (usually very cheap), Cromer, Aldeburgh are all very different and exceptional quality. Appreciate Cromer may be a bit far.

Below that you have Woodbridge, Stowmarket, Hintlesham etc.

I'll second Thetford. while not in Suffolk its well worth a look, although Ihavent personally played it for quite some time. Havent played Aldeburgh but might make that a mission when I'm next in Suffolk.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:03 - Jun 10 with 2814 viewscarlisleaway

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 17:38 - Jun 10 by NthQldITFC

Nine-course Clare has a nice little hole

Try Stowmarket, a very interesting course with well laid out greens and holes.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:17 - Jun 10 with 2804 viewsTractorWood

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:03 - Jun 10 by carlisleaway

Try Stowmarket, a very interesting course with well laid out greens and holes.

I was a member there for 10-12 years. It's a great track in the Spring and Autumn. Too dry in peak Summer and too wet in peak Winter as it's clay soil. Not that long but can be tricky.

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:20 - Jun 10 with 2802 viewsoldburian

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:02 - Jun 10 by BlueForYou

I'll second Thetford. while not in Suffolk its well worth a look, although Ihavent personally played it for quite some time. Havent played Aldeburgh but might make that a mission when I'm next in Suffolk.

I think you will find Aldeburgh is about £90 green fee nowadays - keeps out the riff raff you know.

One gem in North Essex is Colne Valley in Earls Colne and reasonably cheap. Difficult and the catering is excellent.

The Norfolk fairways are a bit heavy these days, mentioned earlier, especially as it now back to farmland!
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:38 - Jun 10 with 2782 viewsSwansea_Blue

My old fella used to be a member of Woodbridge. I used to enjoy the occasional round there when visiting. It was a fair few years ago, so I’ve no idea what it’s like now or prices (suspect it’s not the cheapest).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:47 - Jun 10 with 2759 viewsJakeITFC

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 14:50 - Jun 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yep spot on re Hintlesham - and is quite undulating in parts which can help too

Seckford is ok - I haven’t played in a couple of years thanks to now having a little one but from memory tended to be able to get some decent deals there, especially their twilight rates

I play Seckford after work a lot on their points for golf membership thing and it is great value.

It’s not a particularly long or challenging course but they do really look after it and the greens remained in great nick even during the long hot summer of last year.
Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:58 - Jun 10 with 2742 viewsTractorWood

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:20 - Jun 10 by oldburian

I think you will find Aldeburgh is about £90 green fee nowadays - keeps out the riff raff you know.

One gem in North Essex is Colne Valley in Earls Colne and reasonably cheap. Difficult and the catering is excellent.

The Norfolk fairways are a bit heavy these days, mentioned earlier, especially as it now back to farmland!

I played Colne Valley a lot in my youth. It had some good holes like the 9th and 18th. As you say I was more won other with their hospitality than the course. If you like that style of sort of American parkland, I'd recommend the Meridian near Cambridge. It's Twilight rate is unbelievably cheap too. Like £15-£20.

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 19:03 - Jun 10 with 2734 viewsTractorWood

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 18:02 - Jun 10 by BlueForYou

I played it a few times maybe 10 years ago when I was playing in a few county competitions. Absolutely terrific course but really tough. No par 5s, lots of long par 4s and tight shots. I think it calls itself something like heathland links. A really unique course but bring lots of balls and determination if you spray it around off the tee.

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 19:12 - Jun 10 with 2714 viewsRadlett_blue

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 19:03 - Jun 10 by TractorWood

I played it a few times maybe 10 years ago when I was playing in a few county competitions. Absolutely terrific course but really tough. No par 5s, lots of long par 4s and tight shots. I think it calls itself something like heathland links. A really unique course but bring lots of balls and determination if you spray it around off the tee.

Thetford is excellent - challenging but not too hard, reasonable green fee and very friendly.
Woodbridge is a good course and another friendly members' club.
Aldeburgh is quite challenge, but I believe they've cut back the gorse. Used to be very stuffy - jacket & tie in the clubhouse at all times etc.
Thorpeness is more commercial but a decent course, especially if it isn't too dry as can get bouncy.
Bury St Edmunds is a decent members' club.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Golf courses - in and around Suffolk on 20:29 - Jun 10 with 2647 viewsPortwoman

I understand that Cretingham (now known as Kingfishers) is vastly improved to what it was. Mr PW is a member there and recently played in a Golf Society day when the other players were very complimentary. Think it is one of the cheaper courses around, too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024