Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... 11:47 - Jun 22 with 3438 viewsHerbivore

.....on here and on social media on the subject of violence towards women over the last couple of days. It seems there's a worryingly large and vocal minority that seek to minimise or excuse it. We're going backwards as a society.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:10 - Jun 22 with 2758 viewsitfcjoe

Not necessarily on here as all posters doing so aren't in thse camps but it seems a huge amount of social media is now treating everything as right vs left.

We are becoiming USA with Republicans and Democrats with large swathes totally entrenched in the position of the party/representatives no matter what they do

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:10 - Jun 22 with 2745 viewsfactual_blue

The local tory party in Bury St Edmunds defended david ruffley to the last, or at least until they were stumped by the letter from one of the senior clerics at St Edmundsbury Cathedral going public with what ruffley had actually done.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:12 - Jun 22 with 2726 viewsSpruceMoose

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:10 - Jun 22 by itfcjoe

Not necessarily on here as all posters doing so aren't in thse camps but it seems a huge amount of social media is now treating everything as right vs left.

We are becoiming USA with Republicans and Democrats with large swathes totally entrenched in the position of the party/representatives no matter what they do

From what I see we are already there. The tone may be discourse may be different, but the content is the same.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:20 - Jun 22 with 2696 viewsOldsmoker

I agree with you about the entrenched positions.
I get this a lot nowadays when I start one of those "What do you think about the Tories doing..." conversations and instead of someone giving their view on the question I asked, I get "What about Labour? They're doing........".

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:43 - Jun 22 with 2653 viewsfactual_blue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:20 - Jun 22 by Oldsmoker

I get this a lot nowadays when I start one of those "What do you think about the Tories doing..." conversations and instead of someone giving their view on the question I asked, I get "What about Labour? They're doing........".

The Clown Prince of Whataboutism stalks TWTD.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:46 - Jun 22 with 2635 viewsHerbivore

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:20 - Jun 22 by Oldsmoker

It makes any serous debate impossible.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 13:29 - Jun 22 with 2570 viewsBlueBadger

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:46 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

It makes any serous debate impossible.

ONLI BCOS YUO LEFTY'S WONT LETT MEE HAF MI FREEZ PEECH
WENEVER I TEL YUO AABOWT THE MOOSE LIME JOOS WOT R STEELIN ARE JOBS AN SELLI EM 2 TEH EEYOO YUO TEL ME IM LION AN CAL MI NAYMES YUO NARSTY BUMFASTER

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 13:34 - Jun 22 with 2541 viewsBlueBadger

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 13:29 - Jun 22 by BlueBadger

ONLI BCOS YUO LEFTY'S WONT LETT MEE HAF MI FREEZ PEECH
WENEVER I TEL YUO AABOWT THE MOOSE LIME JOOS WOT R STEELIN ARE JOBS AN SELLI EM 2 TEH EEYOO YUO TEL ME IM LION AN CAL MI NAYMES YUO NARSTY BUMFASTER

Blimey, how do these people live? It has literally given me a headache trying to write that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 14:23 - Jun 22 with 2470 viewsfactual_blue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 13:34 - Jun 22 by BlueBadger

Blimey, how do these people live? It has literally given me a headache trying to write that.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 14:31 - Jun 22 with 2441 viewsIllinoisblue

sadly true, it's very much heading that way. The common sense middle ground being swallowed up by lunatics on both ends of the spectrum. And nobody should underestimate the role social media plays in whipping up hysteria and reinforcing positions based on prejudice and entirely wrong facts.

We are living in troubled times.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 14:42 - Jun 22 with 2409 viewsStokieBlue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 14:31 - Jun 22 by Illinoisblue

sadly true, it's very much heading that way. The common sense middle ground being swallowed up by lunatics on both ends of the spectrum. And nobody should underestimate the role social media plays in whipping up hysteria and reinforcing positions based on prejudice and entirely wrong facts.

We are living in troubled times.

Whilst I do agree that with the majority of this I don't think this part is applicable:

" The common sense middle ground being swallowed up by lunatics on both ends of the spectrum"

That would mean that people who occupied that middle ground are moving to more extreme positions and I am not sure that is the case. They are just less vocal on such platforms - posting sensible and reasoned opinions doesn't usually attract many hits.

I think the people are still there (at least I hope they are) - they just need a political voice to get behind and hopefully drown out the nonsense from both extremes of the spectrum.

There is also the fact that a lot of people who would likely be in this group just don't feel the need to yell their position on social media platforms. Often they have better things to do.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 15:10 - Jun 22 with 2324 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep. People’s ethical standpoints are being determined by which ‘side’ they’re on. Right v left seems the main driver in the states, but Brexit muddies the waters over here.

It’s stupid and dangerous. I’m sure those publicly defending attacks on women wouldn’t behave the same if it was their wife/daughter/mother involved. Even the rape threats issued against female politicians have suffered from the same tribalism. Crazy stuff.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 15:12 - Jun 22 with 2318 viewsIllinoisblue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 14:42 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

Whilst I do agree that with the majority of this I don't think this part is applicable:

" The common sense middle ground being swallowed up by lunatics on both ends of the spectrum"

That would mean that people who occupied that middle ground are moving to more extreme positions and I am not sure that is the case. They are just less vocal on such platforms - posting sensible and reasoned opinions doesn't usually attract many hits.

I think the people are still there (at least I hope they are) - they just need a political voice to get behind and hopefully drown out the nonsense from both extremes of the spectrum.

There is also the fact that a lot of people who would likely be in this group just don't feel the need to yell their position on social media platforms. Often they have better things to do.

SB

I think we're saying the same thing although I should clarify; when I say swallowed up, I meant drowned out.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We Care A Lot! (n/t) on 15:16 - Jun 22 with 2301 viewsTrequartista

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 15:42 - Jun 22 with 2258 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

You worry about lots of things herb.

Most of your posts start with;

This is concerning

Or

This is worrying

And usually it's an exaggerated interpretation with little to back it up.

Chill bro.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 15:42 - Jun 22 with 2250 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Also know as 'antisocial media'.

Best ignored.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:04 - Jun 22 with 2207 viewsEastTownBlue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 12:10 - Jun 22 by factual_blue

The local tory party in Bury St Edmunds defended david ruffley to the last, or at least until they were stumped by the letter from one of the senior clerics at St Edmundsbury Cathedral going public with what ruffley had actually done.

Yes but the gay dean of St Edmundsbury upset a local Tory.
Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:40 - Jun 22 with 2162 viewsfactual_blue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:04 - Jun 22 by EastTownBlue

Yes but the gay dean of St Edmundsbury upset a local Tory.

You've spelt 'a local child-kicking dinosaur' wrongly.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:55 - Jun 22 with 2127 viewsfactual_blue

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 15:42 - Jun 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

This is concerning

Or

This is worrying

Chill bro.

Why Worry! Wheel a Windridge

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:58 - Jun 22 with 2125 viewsHerbivore

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 15:42 - Jun 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

This is concerning

Or

This is worrying

Chill bro.

You seem to think that caring about society is a bad thing.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:03 - Jun 22 with 2113 viewsSpruceMoose

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:58 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

Sometimes I think MM only cares that the world doesn't ever forget that men's football is the ONE TRUE FOOTBALL!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:04 - Jun 22 with 2110 viewsHerbivore

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:03 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Sometimes I think MM only cares that the world doesn't ever forget that men's football is the ONE TRUE FOOTBALL!

He cares an awful lot about social media too.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:09 - Jun 22 with 2101 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 16:58 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

Caring is good, I care.

You just worry too much.

Chill out bro.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:10 - Jun 22 with 2099 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:03 - Jun 22 by SpruceMoose

Hi Spruce.

Nice bit of fiction. mwah, love you.

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:10 - Jun 22 with 2092 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Some quite troubling attitudes being shown.... on 17:04 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

He cares an awful lot about social media too.

I don't, and neither should you.

You'll give yourself a heart attack.

Chill out bro.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024