Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. 11:32 - Jun 24 with 4549 viewsJohnny_Boy

I genuinely thought the overall TWTD collective opinion of Harrison (from last season), was that he was better than Action Jackson? Or did I grossly misread the situation.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:33 - Jun 24 with 4528 viewsbluefunk

He’s one of those players that got better because of his absence
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:35 - Jun 24 with 4518 viewsRadlett_blue

Either Lambert rates Jackson better than Harrison or else Harrison was actually a saleable asset who would bring in some funds for other purchases as well as releasing wages? Hard to think that Lambert does rate Harrison, given that he hardly played under him at all, although he also never really appeared to be fit after his first injury.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:37 - Jun 24 with 4496 viewsxrayspecs

A couple of additional thoughts

- Jackson is a lot younger and stepped up two divisions so may be seen as one for the future
- Could be that we have other better forward options lined up so are allowing him to move on.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:39 - Jun 24 with 4484 viewsStokieBlue

Not sure it's really possible to form an opinion like the one you've cited:

- Harrison was injured and hardly played.

- Jackson was usually a sub and asked to play with his back to goal all the time which he is clearly not suited for and rubbish at.

It also depends who actually wants to buy the player, nobody might have asked about Jackson.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:39 - Jun 24 with 4481 viewsPJH

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:35 - Jun 24 by Radlett_blue

Either Lambert rates Jackson better than Harrison or else Harrison was actually a saleable asset who would bring in some funds for other purchases as well as releasing wages? Hard to think that Lambert does rate Harrison, given that he hardly played under him at all, although he also never really appeared to be fit after his first injury.

Or possibly PL would also happily sell Jackson as well if a decent offer was received.

Personally I thought based on minute for minute spent on the pitch that Harrison looked the most likely of Hurst's signings to be of much use in The Championship.
Most of them looked as though they could be of some use where we now find ourselves.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:41 - Jun 24 with 4458 viewsSouperJim

Definitely a better player than Jackson. Just don't think Lambert particularly fancies him and would rather sell and bring in someone he does. Seems a shame to me, but need to wait for a body before having an autopsy.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:43 - Jun 24 with 4442 viewsITFC_Forever

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:39 - Jun 24 by PJH

Or possibly PL would also happily sell Jackson as well if a decent offer was received.

Personally I thought based on minute for minute spent on the pitch that Harrison looked the most likely of Hurst's signings to be of much use in The Championship.
Most of them looked as though they could be of some use where we now find ourselves.

I would say Nolan, especially in the second half of the season.

The trouble with Jackson and Harrison, neither are suited to the lone striker role and needed someone alongside them. Not their fault particularly, but more a case of mis-using them.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:47 - Jun 24 with 4403 viewsPositivelyPortman

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:41 - Jun 24 by SouperJim

Definitely a better player than Jackson. Just don't think Lambert particularly fancies him and would rather sell and bring in someone he does. Seems a shame to me, but need to wait for a body before having an autopsy.

Much as I like the way PL breathed some passion back into the club, let’s not forget that his first transfer window wasn’t exactly a success - apart from Judge.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Login to get fewer ads

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:49 - Jun 24 with 4384 viewsPJH

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:43 - Jun 24 by ITFC_Forever

The trouble with Jackson and Harrison, neither are suited to the lone striker role and needed someone alongside them. Not their fault particularly, but more a case of mis-using them.

Nolan certainly looked better towards the end of the season but as he was (apparently) Hurst's marquee signing I thought he was pretty disappointing overall.
He should be good this coming season because he was good at this level before,it is just that I was not convinced about him at Championship level.

I agree that neither Harrison or Jackson were used by either manager last season to highlight whatever abilities they have but I did think that Harrison looked the most impressive of the Hurst signings despite that. I am not saying that he looked particularly good, just better than the others.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:21 - Jun 24 with 4295 viewsJohnny_Boy

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:39 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Not sure it's really possible to form an opinion like the one you've cited:

- Harrison was injured and hardly played.

- Jackson was usually a sub and asked to play with his back to goal all the time which he is clearly not suited for and rubbish at.

It also depends who actually wants to buy the player, nobody might have asked about Jackson.

SB

Harrison played 17 games for Town.
You suggesting a personal opinion couldn't have been formed on the player?
Not a pop at you personally.

Of course, we might sell Jackson as well if the right offer came in for him.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 12:23]
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:23 - Jun 24 with 4270 viewsJ2BLUE

I planned on having a bet on him to be top scorer in the league. Not anymore. 14 goals when he was last at this level. Was worth keeping IMO but if Lambert doesn't like him then I trust his judgement.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:29 - Jun 24 with 4238 viewsStokieBlue

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:21 - Jun 24 by Johnny_Boy

I don't think that's what I said.

You said a consensus opinion had been formed between Harrison and Jackson - I just don't think that's the case given Jackson hasn't ever been played in his "right" position.

I suspect we would sell both if a decent offer came in. Neither seem to really fit into PL preferred style and formation. I'd prefer that if he doesn't want them we sold them and got players he does want.

Then it's up to PL to own the performances, good or bad.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:29 - Jun 24 with 4241 viewsSteve_M

It's clear Lambert didn't rate him particularly highly and we are clearly keen to cash in where we can. I liked a lot of what I saw from Harrison - the home performances against Sheffield United and Millwall in particular - but there are big question marks about his finishing and he also missed large parts of the season injured.

Personally I would have kept him as he was already here and I suspect he'll do reasonably well for Portsmouth but I'm not sure selling him is a particularly bad decision.

re: Jackson, we would sell him as well I think but doubt anyone will pay us close enough to what we paid at the moment. Pace alone isn't that useful although it is an asset but his all round game is lacking and his touch on a bad day is poor.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:42 - Jun 24 with 4169 viewsJohnny_Boy

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:23 - Jun 24 by J2BLUE

I planned on having a bet on him to be top scorer in the league. Not anymore. 14 goals when he was last at this level. Was worth keeping IMO but if Lambert doesn't like him then I trust his judgement.

I think I shall avoid all pre-season betting for this forthcoming L1 campaign.

The only thing I quite fancy as an outside punt, is for Southampton to crash the Top 6 next season (20/1). Hasenhüttl is a very clever cookie. With a proper pre-season under his belt & a chance to bring his own players in, who knows.

Course, that would mean Chelsea must have an absolute shocker under Lampard.....which isn't totally out of the question.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:48 - Jun 24 with 4111 viewsCaptMickMills

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:43 - Jun 24 by ITFC_Forever

I believe Portsmouth have bought Harrison for lone striker role.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:50 - Jun 24 with 4102 viewsDurovigutum

Maybe the move was for non football reasons?
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 13:49 - Jun 24 with 3987 viewsLesta_Tractor

It's like our opinions aren't relevant...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 16:38 - Jun 24 with 3813 viewsBrixtonBlue

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:42 - Jun 24 by Johnny_Boy

I think I shall avoid all pre-season betting for this forthcoming L1 campaign.

The only thing I quite fancy as an outside punt, is for Southampton to crash the Top 6 next season (20/1). Hasenhüttl is a very clever cookie. With a proper pre-season under his belt & a chance to bring his own players in, who knows.

Course, that would mean Chelsea must have an absolute shocker under Lampard.....which isn't totally out of the question.

Has Lampard gone to Chelsea? I must've missed that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 16:41 - Jun 24 with 3799 viewsBigManBlue

They're both a bit pony.

Well, Harrison's a small donkey. But he's kinda cute and someone thought he might keep the grass down.

Jackson however is a medieval destrier of pony that nobody in their right mind would want to spend the money to look after.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 16:53 - Jun 24 with 3760 viewsJohnny_Boy

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 16:38 - Jun 24 by BrixtonBlue

Has Lampard gone to Chelsea? I must've missed that.

A fair amount of news sources suggest it'll all be completed within the next 48hrs.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 06:28 - Jun 25 with 3473 viewsSaigonTractor

I think Harrison was alright but not worth holding onto at all costs, especially with our loss of revenue and his injuries.

Jackson I'm hoping plays better in a new system. He was clearly not suited to the lone striker role. Hopefully he'll thrive in his proper position, like when we finally stopped playing Murph on the wing.
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 07:02 - Jun 25 with 3436 viewsbobbyramsey

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:50 - Jun 24 by Durovigutum

Maybe the move was for non football reasons?

I think anything or anybody at PR is for sale, we are not in a position to rebuff any bid IMO.

I also reckon Harrison might have been on decent money.......
A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 07:15 - Jun 25 with 3414 viewschristiand

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 12:21 - Jun 24 by Johnny_Boy

Jackson would be a more saleable asset if he starts banging in a few goals in League One. He showed on occasions glimpses of his potential especially at Bristol City away and Forest at home where he looked very lively. At least with Harrison we could recoup a higher percentage of the fee PH initially paid for him. We'd make huge loss on Jackson if we sold him now.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 7:30]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 08:13 - Jun 25 with 3335 viewsSwansea_Blue

A bit confused by the sale of Harrison. on 11:37 - Jun 24 by xrayspecs

A couple of additional thoughts

- Jackson is a lot younger and stepped up two divisions so may be seen as one for the future
- Could be that we have other better forward options lined up so are allowing him to move on.

They’re the same age, to within a month. Polish your specs!

I expect Norwood is the better option. I can’t see us going out and getting another first choice striker, but who knows as we did have about 8 or 9 strikers last year.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024