Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible 18:31 - Jul 9 with 11464 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've been critical of JC over Europe but a new vote, knowing what we know now, is the right decision. Took him a while but I'm happy he's got here.

I'm obviously in favour of Remain, which Labour now are, but a new vote just seems right.

"Jeremy Corbyn has challenged the next Tory leader to hold another referendum before taking Britain out of the EU, saying Labour will campaign for Remain."

Don't believe the fake news:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48919695

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:33 - Jul 9 with 4209 viewsSpruceMoose

"But he does not say what he would do if he won a general election and was placed in charge of the Brexit process."

Yes. Brilliant.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:40 - Jul 9 with 4122 viewsHerbivore

Sorry Dollers but I can't agree with your take on it. It's an utter fudge of a policy. Remainers won't be appeased because they aren't fully backing remain, leavers won't be pleased because a second referendum is on the table and in some circumstances Labour will back remain. He's signed his own electoral death warrant by trying to please everyone and ultimately pleasing nobody.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:41 - Jul 9 with 4116 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

BUT...

...hasn't he also refused to say what Labour would do if in Government?

Typical Corbyn.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:41 - Jul 9 with 4119 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:40 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

Sorry Dollers but I can't agree with your take on it. It's an utter fudge of a policy. Remainers won't be appeased because they aren't fully backing remain, leavers won't be pleased because a second referendum is on the table and in some circumstances Labour will back remain. He's signed his own electoral death warrant by trying to please everyone and ultimately pleasing nobody.

It's the same old story that's been ongoing for years. Trying to play both sides, in the process pleasing nobody apart from a small dedicated group.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:42 - Jul 9 with 4101 viewsDarth_Koont

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:33 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

"But he does not say what he would do if he won a general election and was placed in charge of the Brexit process."

Yes. Brilliant.

To be fair, there are a lot of MPs and members who need the promise of a Leave scenario, however remote. You need to take this up with Stephen Kinnock et al.

It may not be a simple or indeed simplistic position but it is certainly representative of the party and the divisions currently.

Pronouns: He/Him

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:43 - Jul 9 with 4105 viewsStokieBlue

It's really not. He's faffed about for two years when a decision should have been made. He's also not committed to what happens if he gets into power and brexit hasn't happened.

It's an attempt to keep supporters annoyed at the fence sitting but I fear it's too late and they are already gone.

SB
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 18:44]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:44 - Jul 9 with 4101 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:42 - Jul 9 by Darth_Koont

To be fair, there are a lot of MPs and members who need the promise of a Leave scenario, however remote. You need to take this up with Stephen Kinnock et al.

It may not be a simple or indeed simplistic position but it is certainly representative of the party and the divisions currently.

The question remains (if you pardon the pun) - why vote for a half arsed remain party, when there are real remain parties out there who would be more than happy to receive your vote?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:45 - Jul 9 with 4093 viewsJakeITFC

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:44 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

The question remains (if you pardon the pun) - why vote for a half arsed remain party, when there are real remain parties out there who would be more than happy to receive your vote?

Because brexit isn’t the only thing going on in the world.
Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:45 - Jul 9 with 4093 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:43 - Jul 9 by StokieBlue

It's really not. He's faffed about for two years when a decision should have been made. He's also not committed to what happens if he gets into power and brexit hasn't happened.

It's an attempt to keep supporters annoyed at the fence sitting but I fear it's too late and they are already gone.

SB
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 18:44]

I believe, for the most part we have. If not over this, over other issues.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:46 - Jul 9 with 4084 viewsgordon

He could have been hammering the Conservatives over Brexit for the last three years, making the public see clearly what a mess the conservatives are in, what a blindingly awful idea Brexit is, and forcing the government towards another referendum and ultimately overturning the stupidity.

It's as plain as day that there has never been an outcome which is both feasible and delivers on promises made in the referendum campaign, but despite this Corbyn has barely offered the slightest criticism of Brexit, or expressed any meaningful policy on it.

I'll vote for whoever expresses a sensible, rational view on Brexit, and it isn't going to be a party led by Jeremy Corbyn I'm afraid.
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:47 - Jul 9 with 4085 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:45 - Jul 9 by JakeITFC

Because brexit isn’t the only thing going on in the world.

You could have fooled me what with the last three years we've endured.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:50 - Jul 9 with 4061 viewskinnockers

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:42 - Jul 9 by Darth_Koont

Couldn't agree with you more.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:50 - Jul 9 with 4042 viewsDarth_Koont

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:44 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

Because a scenario-dependent approach suits their MPs, members and likely their electorate.

Let's not forget that LibDems only became an out and out Remain party relatively recently and when they had nothing to lose.

The scenarios are pretty clear, to me at least. And gets round the issue of being over-simplistic re: Brexit which has left the Tories' Brexit policy in tatters, despite them having three years to work it out and get it right.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:53 - Jul 9 with 4040 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:50 - Jul 9 by Darth_Koont

Because a scenario-dependent approach suits their MPs, members and likely their electorate.

Let's not forget that LibDems only became an out and out Remain party relatively recently and when they had nothing to lose.

The scenarios are pretty clear, to me at least. And gets round the issue of being over-simplistic re: Brexit which has left the Tories' Brexit policy in tatters, despite them having three years to work it out and get it right.

So like I said, if you're a staunch remainer you'll look elsewhere because of this 'all things to all people' approach.

I don't actually have an issue with what they're trying to do, I'm just being honest that it just won't persuade me, or I suspect others like me, to vote for them.

If you want to remain, Labour aren't the party for you. If you want to leave, Labour aren't the party for you. So, who are they for? People who neither care nor know about Brexit at all?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:54 - Jul 9 with 4034 viewssparks

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:53 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

So like I said, if you're a staunch remainer you'll look elsewhere because of this 'all things to all people' approach.

I don't actually have an issue with what they're trying to do, I'm just being honest that it just won't persuade me, or I suspect others like me, to vote for them.

If you want to remain, Labour aren't the party for you. If you want to leave, Labour aren't the party for you. So, who are they for? People who neither care nor know about Brexit at all?

Its a bizarre position: We will be pro remain if the choice is a tory deal- seemingly regardless of what it is... If we get into power, we might or might not be pro remain, or back a similar deal... Not telling...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:55 - Jul 9 with 4027 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:54 - Jul 9 by sparks

Its a bizarre position: We will be pro remain if the choice is a tory deal- seemingly regardless of what it is... If we get into power, we might or might not be pro remain, or back a similar deal... Not telling...

Feels like Corybn is just trolling people now.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:56 - Jul 9 with 4025 viewsSwansea_Blue

It must be very hard to support Corbyn’s Brexit approach as a remainer. Please don’t go full inverse gammon on it though. It’s a dogs dinner of a position. We don’t need more delusion - there’s enough of that from the Brexiteer unicorn chasers.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:56 - Jul 9 with 4016 viewsgordon

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:50 - Jul 9 by Darth_Koont

Didn't the Lib Dems have a second referendum in their manifesto for the 2017 General Election, and a promise to campaign for remain?
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:59 - Jul 9 with 3995 viewsDarth_Koont

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:53 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

That's fair enough. I think Remain will sufficiently fragment a GE vote (just like Leave will on the other side) that everyone will effectively be voting for a coalition anyway. Certainly it could end up very tactical at constituency level.

But a Remain coalition wouldn't be a problem for me. You just need to avoid junior partners who were too passive like LibDems last time or too fundamentalist like the DUP now.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:00 - Jul 9 with 4004 viewssparks

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:55 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

Feels like Corybn is just trolling people now.

Indeed. He remains stuck because he is a brexiteer at heart, but has spent the last few years pretending otherwise.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:00 - Jul 9 with 4001 viewschicoazul

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:47 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

You could have fooled me what with the last three years we've endured.

That's because you clearly don't have a good grasp of the ongoing terrible issues with austerity in this country. Many many people could care less really about Brexit - hence the "get on with it" pleas - but are sick to the back teeth of the last 10 years of the Tories and their slashing of the welfare state, universal credit, ridiculous house prices, pss poor industrial strategy etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:02 - Jul 9 with 3990 viewssparks

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:00 - Jul 9 by chicoazul

That's because you clearly don't have a good grasp of the ongoing terrible issues with austerity in this country. Many many people could care less really about Brexit - hence the "get on with it" pleas - but are sick to the back teeth of the last 10 years of the Tories and their slashing of the welfare state, universal credit, ridiculous house prices, pss poor industrial strategy etc

They are very much separate issues.

And the phrase is "Couldn't care less".

Bloody americanisms.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:03 - Jul 9 with 3986 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:00 - Jul 9 by chicoazul

You misunderstand. That was my point. Perhaps I didn't express it particularly well. Don't you mean couldn't care less though?
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 19:04]

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:04 - Jul 9 with 3972 viewsDarth_Koont

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 18:56 - Jul 9 by gordon

Didn't the Lib Dems have a second referendum in their manifesto for the 2017 General Election, and a promise to campaign for remain?

May very well have. I must admit I wasn't paying attention to them and neither was anyone else back then electorally or in the media.

There's certainly been a huge shift in the public, media and political opinion re: Remain since the parliamentary shenanigans in Feb/March

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:04 - Jul 9 with 3967 viewsgordon

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:00 - Jul 9 by sparks

Indeed. He remains stuck because he is a brexiteer at heart, but has spent the last few years pretending otherwise.

He gives me the impression sometimes of not really knowing what he stands for or believes anymore.

He just isn't close to having the political skill or know-how to take what he thinks to be an expedient or pragmatic position and appear convincing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024