Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London advice 06:01 - Jul 26 with 3941 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Will be visiting London today and tomorrow with my wife and daughter.

Our hotel is located in Waterloo and we plan to visit Greenwich, daughter wants to go to meridian and Cutty Sark because they have been leaning about they in English! Rest of the time probably more central.

What’s the best way to travel, using a one day travel card ors oyster?

Also any decent apps for London, travel, site seeing etc?

All advice greatly received*

*apart from the advice go somewhere better instead....
London advice on 06:18 - Jul 26 with 3206 viewsclive_baker

Use an Oyster if you have one, as they cap the price at the cost of a 1 day travelcard anyway, so you can never pay more than that, only less. You can also use contactless with a debit card, just touch the reader and it’ll charge you appropriately. It’ll be the same price as an Oyster. The benefit of that is if you don’t spend what you’ve topped your oyster up with you’ve effectively lost that, you also need to pay a deposit for the Oyster card itself. You’ll notice 90% of people are tapping their bank cards. Maybe that’s suitable for you and your wife and you could get your daughter an Oyster?

Citymapper is a good travel app. It’s free and you put your route in and it kicks out the quickest way. The TFL journey mapper online is also good if you know where you’re heading but don’t know the quickest way.

Enjoy your trip Sir.

P.s I love Dusseldorf

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

London advice on 06:22 - Jul 26 with 3198 viewsdusseldorf_blue

London advice on 06:18 - Jul 26 by clive_baker

Use an Oyster if you have one, as they cap the price at the cost of a 1 day travelcard anyway, so you can never pay more than that, only less. You can also use contactless with a debit card, just touch the reader and it’ll charge you appropriately. It’ll be the same price as an Oyster. The benefit of that is if you don’t spend what you’ve topped your oyster up with you’ve effectively lost that, you also need to pay a deposit for the Oyster card itself. You’ll notice 90% of people are tapping their bank cards. Maybe that’s suitable for you and your wife and you could get your daughter an Oyster?

Citymapper is a good travel app. It’s free and you put your route in and it kicks out the quickest way. The TFL journey mapper online is also good if you know where you’re heading but don’t know the quickest way.

Enjoy your trip Sir.

P.s I love Dusseldorf

Sorry forgot to mention we don’t already have an Oyster card
London advice on 06:30 - Jul 26 with 3180 viewsclive_baker

London advice on 06:22 - Jul 26 by dusseldorf_blue

Sorry forgot to mention we don’t already have an Oyster card

I think they’re a £3 fee to get one, which you get back when you hand it in at the end of your stay.

As I said though, personally I would just touch my debit card on the reader. It only ever charges you the cheaper of the options i.e. if it’s less than a travelcard you pay less, if it’s more it caps it at the cost of a travelcard.

London advice on 06:32 - Jul 26 with 3176 viewsdusseldorf_blue

London advice on 06:30 - Jul 26 by clive_baker

I think they’re a £3 fee to get one, which you get back when you hand it in at the end of your stay.

As I said though, personally I would just touch my debit card on the reader. It only ever charges you the cheaper of the options i.e. if it’s less than a travelcard you pay less, if it’s more it caps it at the cost of a travelcard.

Sorry for the naive questions. Can I also use my card twice for the same journey as my daughter doesn’t have a card?
London advice on 06:40 - Jul 26 with 3161 viewsclive_baker

London advice on 06:32 - Jul 26 by dusseldorf_blue

Sorry for the naive questions. Can I also use my card twice for the same journey as my daughter doesn’t have a card?

No you can’t do that :(

Children travel cheaper, so check with an attendant to make sure that’s the case when you’re travelling.

London advice on 06:43 - Jul 26 with 3157 viewsFenoit

London advice on 06:32 - Jul 26 by dusseldorf_blue

You can’t use the same card for two journeys, but you could use the same card in a different guise e.g you give your daughter your card and you use Apple Pay which has that card as a payment type. You have to tap out with the same card/device you used when tapping in.

Re: journey planning around the city, 100% get the app citymapper. It will tell you the best route and transport type to get around the city quickest. Whether this is train, bus etc it will get you there first (even advises which carriage to get on for easiest and quickest exit at your destination).

You can use contactless on both buses and the underground, all part of the same system. If you do have to go down the oyster route, then you need to pay £5 for a card.
London advice on 06:47 - Jul 26 with 3146 viewsSWGF

City Hopper for a travel app

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

London advice on 06:53 - Jul 26 with 3139 viewshatch

One key recommendation given your hotel location and desire to visit Greenwich is to travel between them by river using the Thames Clipper from London Eye to Greenwich Pier. You can use oyster/debit card for this but is a great, cheap way of getting a river cruise on modern boats down the river. Highly recommended as a travel option, otherwise I imagine best route would be from
Waterloo East station to Greenwich.

Don’t forget the cable car is not far away in North Greenwich for good views of the city but you would need to get a bus/boat there from Greenwich as it’s slightly awkwardly located. I’d suggest a return trip on it before returning to Waterloo/Central by the Jubilee line from North Greenwich.
Login to get fewer ads

London advice on 07:02 - Jul 26 with 3118 viewsdusseldorf_blue

London advice on 06:43 - Jul 26 by Fenoit

You can’t use the same card for two journeys, but you could use the same card in a different guise e.g you give your daughter your card and you use Apple Pay which has that card as a payment type. You have to tap out with the same card/device you used when tapping in.

Re: journey planning around the city, 100% get the app citymapper. It will tell you the best route and transport type to get around the city quickest. Whether this is train, bus etc it will get you there first (even advises which carriage to get on for easiest and quickest exit at your destination).

You can use contactless on both buses and the underground, all part of the same system. If you do have to go down the oyster route, then you need to pay £5 for a card.

Contactless for my wife and me and a kids travel card for my daughter
London advice on 07:17 - Jul 26 with 3075 viewsunstableblue

London advice on 06:53 - Jul 26 by hatch

One key recommendation given your hotel location and desire to visit Greenwich is to travel between them by river using the Thames Clipper from London Eye to Greenwich Pier. You can use oyster/debit card for this but is a great, cheap way of getting a river cruise on modern boats down the river. Highly recommended as a travel option, otherwise I imagine best route would be from
Waterloo East station to Greenwich.

Don’t forget the cable car is not far away in North Greenwich for good views of the city but you would need to get a bus/boat there from Greenwich as it’s slightly awkwardly located. I’d suggest a return trip on it before returning to Waterloo/Central by the Jubilee line from North Greenwich.

Definitely also recommend the Thames Clipper... did it before a Charltom away game once, great fun, and views of the Thames

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

London advice on 07:17 - Jul 26 with 3078 viewsElephantintheRoom

One thing you should definately consider is to travel to greenwich via the river. You can also use it to stop off at other locations you and your daughter might like - aquarium london eye etc.... lat time i checked the thames doesnt buckle in hot weather either.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

London advice on 07:19 - Jul 26 with 3070 viewsKeaneish

London advice on 06:47 - Jul 26 by SWGF

City Hopper for a travel app

Think you mean City Mapper.

Get the Tube Map App aswell, always handy.

If you're travelling from Waterloo to Greenwich, maybe travel down the river by boat, probably a nicer experience and helps to get your bearings rather than tube. You can use an Oyster on the boats the same as any train / underground lines.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

London advice on 07:22 - Jul 26 with 3065 viewshatch

London advice on 07:19 - Jul 26 by Keaneish

Think you mean City Mapper.

Get the Tube Map App aswell, always handy.

If you're travelling from Waterloo to Greenwich, maybe travel down the river by boat, probably a nicer experience and helps to get your bearings rather than tube. You can use an Oyster on the boats the same as any train / underground lines.

Is there an echo in here?
London advice on 07:32 - Jul 26 with 3049 viewsKeaneish

London advice on 07:22 - Jul 26 by hatch

Is there an echo in here?

Ha! Only skim read the replies being 7:30am!

The clipper it is then!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 7:32]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

London advice on 08:09 - Jul 26 with 2979 viewsx123456789

Would have given the same advice as those before ... I) City Mapper app II) use a contactless bank card III) use the Thames clipper to travel along the river to get back from Greenwich, not the tube. Can do some sightseeing and much more pleasant - also cheaper than a tour boat

Would also add Tower Bridge and Tower of London are between Waterloo and Greenwich. If doing so I would advise going up the Sky Garden near Bank station. You can book in advance for free and skip the queues. You get a great view over London, can see The Shard etc (which costs £20+ p/p to reach the top)
London advice on 08:35 - Jul 26 with 2943 viewsPendejo

If you have contactless debit card there's no need to get an Oyster as it will automatically convert to day travel card after 3 or 4 chargeable journeys. Use the yellow pad that people use for Oyster
[London busses have a single fare for ALL journeys that commence within 1 hour of the first but you MUST swipe in]

For travel
https://tubermap.com/

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

London advice on 09:11 - Jul 26 with 2894 viewsglasso

How old is your daughter? If she's youngish (say, 12 or under?) the kids gallery at National Maritime Museum in Greenwich is great. The Ahoy Gallery is good for younger kids and there's loads to do there (all free).

And the Painted Hall in the Old Royal Naval College (which is across the road from the NMM) is worth a visit, too - it's incredible.

If you're getting the train out to Greenwich you'd pass them both on the way up to Meridian from Cutty Sark.

If the weather's nice, there's a deer enclosure a two min walk from Meridian, too - it's in the north-west corner of Greenwich Park and a nice walk (though not in the rain!)

If you'er travelling from Waterloo to Greenwich as a tourist, I'd say the Thames Clipper is a nicer way to travel. It's a bit more expensive than the tube/train, but you'll pass Tower of London, Tower Bridge etc and get the whole view of London from the river. It drops you off next to Cutty Sark and the closest pick-up from Waterloo (off the top of my head) is right underneath the London Eye.
London advice on 09:29 - Jul 26 with 2852 viewsBloomBlue

London advice on 07:32 - Jul 26 by Keaneish

Ha! Only skim read the replies being 7:30am!

The clipper it is then!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 7:32]

And they often do special offers on the clippers I was one last week from Canary Wharf to Greenwich and it was £2 for a bottle of beer and packet of crisps, cheap for London.

Also if you're in Greenwich park Flamsteed House and the National Maritime Museum are both worth a visit

Plus Greenwich has a couple of vegan cafes
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 9:36]
London advice on 10:00 - Jul 26 with 2797 viewsdusseldorf_blue

Thanks for all the advice!
London advice on 10:42 - Jul 26 with 2733 viewslinhdi

London advice on 10:00 - Jul 26 by dusseldorf_blue

Thanks for all the advice!

To add, from Greenwich or Curry Sark, the Dockands Light Railway is another great option to Bank - fabulous views from big windows. If you get near the front, it feels like the world's slowest roller-coaster.
London advice on 10:56 - Jul 26 with 2712 viewsBrixtonBlue

Agree with the other advice in here. I'd also get the Bus Times app (London) which tells you when the next buses are due at whatever stop you're at. Very handy, especially at night when you might be waiting for ages.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

London advice on 11:21 - Jul 26 with 2677 viewshampstead_blue

Avoid the obvious like the Museums, Madam Tussards unless you want to spend a day queuing.

A walk along the Embankment crossing at Westminster and heading to the South Bank is nice.
The skate boarders at the South Bank can be seriously good and there may be something free and interesting going on in the public spaces of the South Bank theatre itself. Often are in the holidays.

I'd say walk as much as you can.

It's a nice walk from Westminster to Traf Sq. Past Downing St and the Cenotaph.

Buses are good as at least you can see where you are going.

Oh, and if you want a treat, Hampstead Heath (overground to Hampstead Heath and a 5 minute walk) is a great end of day. There is a wonderful Italian call La Buffala opposite the Overground station in Hampstead. Run by an Italian family, full of kids, families, atmosphere and fun.

Have a great day.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

London advice on 11:28 - Jul 26 with 2665 viewsBloomBlue

Also if your in Greenwich and you want to go full 'Brit' the Golden Chippy is there which has won the best fish 'n' chips in London on a few occasions
London advice on 11:36 - Jul 26 with 2652 viewsBrixtonBlue

London advice on 11:21 - Jul 26 by hampstead_blue

Avoid the obvious like the Museums, Madam Tussards unless you want to spend a day queuing.

A walk along the Embankment crossing at Westminster and heading to the South Bank is nice.
The skate boarders at the South Bank can be seriously good and there may be something free and interesting going on in the public spaces of the South Bank theatre itself. Often are in the holidays.

I'd say walk as much as you can.

It's a nice walk from Westminster to Traf Sq. Past Downing St and the Cenotaph.

Buses are good as at least you can see where you are going.

Oh, and if you want a treat, Hampstead Heath (overground to Hampstead Heath and a 5 minute walk) is a great end of day. There is a wonderful Italian call La Buffala opposite the Overground station in Hampstead. Run by an Italian family, full of kids, families, atmosphere and fun.

Have a great day.

I've not had a problem with queues at the Natural History Museum, which would be great to take a kid to.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

London advice on 12:26 - Jul 26 with 2616 viewsportmanroadblue

get the hop on/off guided tour bus, it shows u all the sights and you can get on/off wherever you like, you also get a river cruise. Prob best to pre-book, cost me around £30 per adult and £15 for kids. Watch out this weekend as the triathalon is on around Greenwich.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024