Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elliot 22:17 - Jul 28 with 5938 viewsWestcountryblue

Not scored more than 9 goals a season during his time in the football league. With him approaching 29, you have to seriously question this, especially with Harrison leaving.

Let's not mess around. Go get Murphy for a year and manage him well as back up to Norwood. This won't hamper the development of Jackson either who looks to have several more gears. Will Keane on a pay as you play deal would be nice too, or a 1 year deal providing we could offload Bart.
Elliot on 22:20 - Jul 28 with 3411 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Scored 13 in 46 for Wimbledon last time he was at this level a couple of years ago, albeit 4 were in cup games.

How many of those matches did he play from the start? Statistics never tell the whole story. What was Murphy's goalscoring record before joining us? Or Walters' or McGoldrick's before he went to Coventry?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Elliot on 22:23 - Jul 28 with 3375 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:20 - Jul 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Scored 13 in 46 for Wimbledon last time he was at this level a couple of years ago, albeit 4 were in cup games.

How many of those matches did he play from the start? Statistics never tell the whole story. What was Murphy's goalscoring record before joining us? Or Walters' or McGoldrick's before he went to Coventry?

Difference is, Walters was 23 and McGoldrick was 24...both players who had shown tremendous potential early on in their career.

Elliot is 29 in November and has never scored more than 9 football league goals in a season, be that in League Two or the Championship.

We are messing around with crap players here.

I'm not business man, but personally i'd prefer to get Bart's 20k wage off the books and bring in two good players, one younger striker like Keane and a wise old head like Murphy to use as a battering ram during the second half of games.
Elliot on 22:24 - Jul 28 with 3387 viewsSomethingBlue

Elliott wouldn't be there to score us tonnes of goals. He'd be there to take a bit of the sh7t up top later in a game, or from the start in games that specifically demanded it, and we are going to need something like that. He will also be cheaper than Murphy. At this level I'd happily have him along as a Plan B, all good.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Elliot on 22:26 - Jul 28 with 3354 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:24 - Jul 28 by SomethingBlue

Elliott wouldn't be there to score us tonnes of goals. He'd be there to take a bit of the sh7t up top later in a game, or from the start in games that specifically demanded it, and we are going to need something like that. He will also be cheaper than Murphy. At this level I'd happily have him along as a Plan B, all good.

Staying in League One will cost us 9m....

How long do you think the likes of Huws, Judge, Dozzell, Downes et al will stay with us for in League One ? We need to get Bart of the books and bring in some proven quality to support the talented youngsters we have in our squad.

We can't afford to mess around with squad fillers, we need firepower and 3/4 strikers capable of breaking double figures.
Elliot on 22:27 - Jul 28 with 3342 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Elliot on 22:23 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Difference is, Walters was 23 and McGoldrick was 24...both players who had shown tremendous potential early on in their career.

Elliot is 29 in November and has never scored more than 9 football league goals in a season, be that in League Two or the Championship.

I'm not business man, but personally i'd prefer to get Bart's 20k wage off the books and bring in two good players, one younger striker like Keane and a wise old head like Murphy to use as a battering ram during the second half of games.

I know little about Elliott but would assume he might be a hold-up player rather than a goal scorer. He has reasonable experience which might help.

Forest fans laughed at us taking McGoldrick pedigree or not. It is up to our coaches to make the best of what we have. I would see this as a Quaner-type player for us not a first choice striker.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Elliot on 22:29 - Jul 28 with 3322 viewsSomethingBlue

Elliot on 22:26 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Staying in League One will cost us 9m....

How long do you think the likes of Huws, Judge, Dozzell, Downes et al will stay with us for in League One ? We need to get Bart of the books and bring in some proven quality to support the talented youngsters we have in our squad.

We can't afford to mess around with squad fillers, we need firepower and 3/4 strikers capable of breaking double figures.

I am with you on that; we have to get out this season whatever it takes absolutely. But we have no idea if the "proven quality" like a Murphy would even entertain a move, for starters. We have a squad with good technicians and decent energy when fit and I think an Elliott — given he'd probably be Plan B — would serve us well, albeit not perfectly, given the current balance.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Elliot on 22:34 - Jul 28 with 3274 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:29 - Jul 28 by SomethingBlue

I am with you on that; we have to get out this season whatever it takes absolutely. But we have no idea if the "proven quality" like a Murphy would even entertain a move, for starters. We have a squad with good technicians and decent energy when fit and I think an Elliott — given he'd probably be Plan B — would serve us well, albeit not perfectly, given the current balance.

Sure, but i can see us going down a very dangerous, cheap path here. The same with Gutherie and Wilson.

There is a reason why these players have played for mediocre, lower league clubs throughout their careers.

In my opinion we need 3 vastly experienced players who will bring a much needed presence on the pitch and in the changing room. I'd like to see Jack Hobbs, Liam Ridgewell and Murphy brought in, with Bart our last exit. That will add 3 players over the age of 30 to an incredibly young squad and players who have experience and know how in promotion winning squads.

If we don't go up, we will have to wave goodbye to 4-5 home grown academy players and what remains of the quality we have in our current side. Promotion is a must this season !!!
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 22:35]
Elliot on 22:38 - Jul 28 with 3239 viewspointofblue

Elliot on 22:34 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Sure, but i can see us going down a very dangerous, cheap path here. The same with Gutherie and Wilson.

There is a reason why these players have played for mediocre, lower league clubs throughout their careers.

In my opinion we need 3 vastly experienced players who will bring a much needed presence on the pitch and in the changing room. I'd like to see Jack Hobbs, Liam Ridgewell and Murphy brought in, with Bart our last exit. That will add 3 players over the age of 30 to an incredibly young squad and players who have experience and know how in promotion winning squads.

If we don't go up, we will have to wave goodbye to 4-5 home grown academy players and what remains of the quality we have in our current side. Promotion is a must this season !!!

I agree with Guthrie and Wilson; I hope we steer clear of both and look elsewhere. But I don't like the idea of bringing in 30+ year olds as signings because we'll just have to rebuild for next year if we do go up and we desperately need some stability - Hobbs is just about okay (though will no doubt sign for a Championship side) but Ridgewell and Murphy are too old in footballing terms for me.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Elliot on 22:39 - Jul 28 with 3232 viewsxrayspecs

Elliot on 22:24 - Jul 28 by SomethingBlue

Town fans have not yet fully understood what lies ahead of us this season. A lot of big physical limited sides whose goal is to not play football and take a point of three. I have seen Elliot a few times and he is a big lump, a cheaper version of Harrison, but he will upset defenders. From which others will benefit. He would start behind Norwood and Jackson but will complement the more technically gifted likes of Judge, Rowe, Grabutt and Dozzell in midfield.

Making Holy our number 1 at Col U and Cam U was clearly designed to get Bart out of the door, a fee and wages off the book. We will have a second senior keeper in the wings once this deal is confirmed.
Elliot on 22:46 - Jul 28 with 3159 viewsxrayspecs

Just saying

Holy, Skuse, Chambers, Toto, Donacien, Judge, Garbutt, Norwood, Edwards, Nolan, Rowe, Huws are hardly kids. Would also argue to a lesser extent that Kenlock, Dozzell, Downes, Bishop have plenty of game time too. Add in Sears when back from injury.
Elliot on 22:46 - Jul 28 with 3161 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:39 - Jul 28 by xrayspecs

Town fans have not yet fully understood what lies ahead of us this season. A lot of big physical limited sides whose goal is to not play football and take a point of three. I have seen Elliot a few times and he is a big lump, a cheaper version of Harrison, but he will upset defenders. From which others will benefit. He would start behind Norwood and Jackson but will complement the more technically gifted likes of Judge, Rowe, Grabutt and Dozzell in midfield.

Making Holy our number 1 at Col U and Cam U was clearly designed to get Bart out of the door, a fee and wages off the book. We will have a second senior keeper in the wings once this deal is confirmed.

Getting rid of Harrison to a divisional rival was mystifying given that we want to bring in a cheaper, poorer version.

It's a shame, as Norwood, Garbutt and Holy represent excellent business thus far. I hope we can continue to bring in players or this quality, not mid table squad fillers
Elliot on 22:49 - Jul 28 with 3138 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:46 - Jul 28 by xrayspecs

Just saying

Holy, Skuse, Chambers, Toto, Donacien, Judge, Garbutt, Norwood, Edwards, Nolan, Rowe, Huws are hardly kids. Would also argue to a lesser extent that Kenlock, Dozzell, Downes, Bishop have plenty of game time too. Add in Sears when back from injury.

Correct, but we do miss a couple of battle hardened veterans. Just think how valuable players like Magilton, Mowbray, Horlock, De Vos et al were in previous promotion campaigns. You need these players both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Currently we have 3 good experienced pros, Chambers, Skuse and Norwood and they are worth their weight in gold.

The players you mention, most of them will leave if we can't get promoted this year.

If we're going to sell the likes of Harrison, then bring in a better replacement for god sake. It's this acceptance of mediocrity that is killing this club and fans and management alike seem to accept it !
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 22:51]
Elliot on 22:49 - Jul 28 with 3138 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

As you’ve said, we need Bart out. Trouble is only one team seem interested so if Elliot, accepting his limitations he would offer something different to what we’ve got, facilitates that, it’s a good deal for us.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Elliot on 22:51 - Jul 28 with 3118 viewsElderGrizzly

Elliot on 22:23 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Keane has only scored 8 in his entire career, 3 of those with us last season!
Elliot on 22:52 - Jul 28 with 3118 viewswkj

Tbf senior strikers are in short supply and as few as 9 goals could have kept us up last year with all the games we drew, sooo... I'll welcome him with open arms of he comes and hope he isn't another Leon Best

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Elliot on 22:53 - Jul 28 with 3106 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:49 - Jul 28 by WestStanderLaLaLa

As you’ve said, we need Bart out. Trouble is only one team seem interested so if Elliot, accepting his limitations he would offer something different to what we’ve got, facilitates that, it’s a good deal for us.

Losing Harrison to a divisional rival and bringing in an inferior replacement....i'm struggling to see how this is a ''good deal''.

20k off the books, 750k brought in from Bart....for christ sake, let's go out and get a better player than Harrison ! We can't keep on letting quality go and replacing it with dross
Elliot on 22:53 - Jul 28 with 3106 viewsxrayspecs

Elliot on 22:46 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Getting rid of Harrison to a divisional rival was mystifying given that we want to bring in a cheaper, poorer version.

It's a shame, as Norwood, Garbutt and Holy represent excellent business thus far. I hope we can continue to bring in players or this quality, not mid table squad fillers

I agree. I wonder if the early season need to try and balance the books was behind the decision or whether he did not fit in for whatever reason.

I liked Harrison and I think he will do well at this level.

It may be that Elliot is plan C (we need to go long and big), whereas Harrison would have been competing with Jackson for a starting place alongside Norwood.
Elliot on 22:59 - Jul 28 with 3073 viewsxrayspecs

Elliot on 22:49 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Correct, but we do miss a couple of battle hardened veterans. Just think how valuable players like Magilton, Mowbray, Horlock, De Vos et al were in previous promotion campaigns. You need these players both on the pitch and in the dressing room. Currently we have 3 good experienced pros, Chambers, Skuse and Norwood and they are worth their weight in gold.

The players you mention, most of them will leave if we can't get promoted this year.

If we're going to sell the likes of Harrison, then bring in a better replacement for god sake. It's this acceptance of mediocrity that is killing this club and fans and management alike seem to accept it !
[Post edited 28 Jul 2019 22:51]

I suspect it is FFP salary rules - the tail wagging the dog. Unlike last year when ME can loan the club monies, our wage bill is governed by our estimated income (around 9 million down on last season, when our spend on players was greater than our revenue iirc).

We can no longer spend £20-30k per week on experienced pros (e.g. Collins), we are shopping in a very different league. Outside the championship, players earn closer to £100-200k per season.
Elliot on 23:00 - Jul 28 with 3066 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 22:53 - Jul 28 by xrayspecs

I agree. I wonder if the early season need to try and balance the books was behind the decision or whether he did not fit in for whatever reason.

I liked Harrison and I think he will do well at this level.

It may be that Elliot is plan C (we need to go long and big), whereas Harrison would have been competing with Jackson for a starting place alongside Norwood.

He will no doubt come back to bite us. I can see him scoring 15-20 this year if he can sort out his dodgy hamstrings...which have troubled him since his Rovers days.

I'm a fan of 3/4 strikers all competing. We had that briefly a couple of years ago with Murphy, McGoldrick, Pitman, Sears. It's an area of the pitch you can't cut corners with as the whole Waghorn/Garner/McGoldrick saga showed us last year.
Elliot on 23:02 - Jul 28 with 3045 viewsxrayspecs

Elliot on 23:00 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

He will no doubt come back to bite us. I can see him scoring 15-20 this year if he can sort out his dodgy hamstrings...which have troubled him since his Rovers days.

I'm a fan of 3/4 strikers all competing. We had that briefly a couple of years ago with Murphy, McGoldrick, Pitman, Sears. It's an area of the pitch you can't cut corners with as the whole Waghorn/Garner/McGoldrick saga showed us last year.

I agree. However, that is what clubs at our level have to do.
Elliot on 23:04 - Jul 28 with 3040 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Elliot on 22:53 - Jul 28 by Westcountryblue

Losing Harrison to a divisional rival and bringing in an inferior replacement....i'm struggling to see how this is a ''good deal''.

20k off the books, 750k brought in from Bart....for christ sake, let's go out and get a better player than Harrison ! We can't keep on letting quality go and replacing it with dross

oh, it would appear you’ve got a big bone on about selling Harrison. Is Norwood better than him?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Elliot on 23:05 - Jul 28 with 3029 viewspointofblue

Harrison's record in 17/18 was twelve goals in 44 games (0.27 per game). Elliott's record in 16/17 was nine goals in 39 games (0.23 per game). Not a huge difference between the two.

Last year Elliott scored three goals in 33 games (16 starts, 17 sub appearances) whilst Harrison scored one goal in 16 games (9 starts, 7 sub appearances) - again not a huge difference.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Elliot on 23:10 - Jul 28 with 2993 viewsbournemouthblue

9 goals would do us fine if he is teeing up balls for Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Edwards, Lankester and Rowe etc?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Elliot on 23:12 - Jul 28 with 2986 viewsWestcountryblue

Elliot on 23:04 - Jul 28 by WestStanderLaLaLa

oh, it would appear you’ve got a big bone on about selling Harrison. Is Norwood better than him?

Was i comparing Norwood and Harrison ? They are completely different players...

Harrison is 25 and i would've much preferred to offload him to a Championship club than one of our closest rivals. He would have also offered 'genuine' competition rather than being a 'plan b' kind of player.
Elliot on 23:14 - Jul 28 with 2964 viewsTerry_Nutkins

So who is Norwood replacing? Harrison's place in the team.is taken by Norwood. i would argue an upgrade. Elliott becomes back up.

I'm not excited at all by Elliot signing but i don't know much about him other than his record. As others have said he'll have a role in L1. My biggest gripe is this mean no Keane who i was hoping would be a late addition.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024