Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k 21:09 - Jul 31 with 2928 viewsElderGrizzly

We aren’t the only ones selling our players on the cheap

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:12 - Jul 31 with 2514 viewsKeaneish

Sunderland home grown too. That’s not going to sit well.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:19 - Jul 31 with 2432 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:12 - Jul 31 by Keaneish

I don't expect a second season down is financially easier than the first.

So far, our adjustment in terms of playing staff has not significantly weakened the side in my opinion. That said, it wasn't the strongest to begin with.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:27 - Jul 31 with 2350 viewsKeaneish

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:19 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

So far, our adjustment in terms of playing staff has not significantly weakened the side in my opinion. That said, it wasn't the strongest to begin with.

Don’t they still have parachute payments or did they finish last season?

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:29 - Jul 31 with 2327 viewsWD19

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:27 - Jul 31 by Keaneish

That’s not the main problem. It’s the salary restrictions that has got them by the balls.
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:36 - Jul 31 with 2265 viewspointofblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:29 - Jul 31 by WD19

That’s not the main problem. It’s the salary restrictions that has got them by the balls.

Perhaps Evans is being sensible if he holds back the add ons from Mings, Clarke and (perhaps) Webster - as it's still club income could he use it next season to lessen the impact of League One FFP?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:37 - Jul 31 with 2245 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:27 - Jul 31 by Keaneish

Finished last season, so wage bill now is really restricted. It was £25m last season, but will need to be around £15m this season to comply with rules.

Helped by losing Cattermole in the summer who was on £2m a year

Edit: Parachutes were extended to 4th year, so they get £14m this season. Down from £35m last season
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 21:50]
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:38 - Jul 31 with 2238 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:36 - Jul 31 by pointofblue

Perhaps Evans is being sensible if he holds back the add ons from Mings, Clarke and (perhaps) Webster - as it's still club income could he use it next season to lessen the impact of League One FFP?

No, it only counts in the season we received it.
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:40 - Jul 31 with 2212 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:38 - Jul 31 by ElderGrizzly

Although the figures quoted in the media will be the top figure with all the add-ons so there may well be aspects that won't actually come in straight away (or even at all).

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 with 2196 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Can't see 400k mentioned? That sounds light?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 with 2196 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

Can't see 400k mentioned? That sounds light?

Was on the thread

[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 21:44]
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 with 2190 viewsDennyx4

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:37 - Jul 31 by ElderGrizzly

Finished last season, so wage bill now is really restricted. It was £25m last season, but will need to be around £15m this season to comply with rules.

Helped by losing Cattermole in the summer who was on £2m a year

Edit: Parachutes were extended to 4th year, so they get £14m this season. Down from £35m last season
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 21:50]

I thought they had one more season of parachute payments. Believe they had 4 years due to the longevity of the stay in the Premier League.
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:45 - Jul 31 with 2172 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 by ElderGrizzly

Was on the thread

[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 21:44]

Guess the contract length has an impact.

Sunderland pal of mine says that he's inconsistent and they have a replacement in a lad called Embleton who is highly rated.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:49 - Jul 31 with 2142 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 by Dennyx4

I thought they had one more season of parachute payments. Believe they had 4 years due to the longevity of the stay in the Premier League.

You’re right. They changed the rules.

They get £14m this year, down from £35m last season
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:51 - Jul 31 with 2123 viewsDennyx4

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:43 - Jul 31 by Dennyx4

Looking an article in the Chronicle, they have three years worth of payments and get £15m this season in parachute payments.

£42m first season down 2017/18 (when they went down from Championship)
£34m last season 2018/19
and the final payment of £15m this season 2019/20

Wage bill must be extremely high to sell their captain for £400k
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:55 - Jul 31 with 2092 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:51 - Jul 31 by Dennyx4

Looking an article in the Chronicle, they have three years worth of payments and get £15m this season in parachute payments.

£42m first season down 2017/18 (when they went down from Championship)
£34m last season 2018/19
and the final payment of £15m this season 2019/20

Wage bill must be extremely high to sell their captain for £400k

Wage billl was £25m last season.

£15m parachute payment, is by itself a higher income figure than any club in the league
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 21:56]
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:55 - Jul 31 with 2087 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:29 - Jul 31 by WD19

Although parachute payments running out is why it’s got them by the balls. I think they’re forecasted to still have 3x our purchasing power, so I don’t feel too sorry for them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:59 - Jul 31 with 2054 viewsKeaneish

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:19 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:05 - Jul 31 with 2000 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:55 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

Although parachute payments running out is why it’s got them by the balls. I think they’re forecasted to still have 3x our purchasing power, so I don’t feel too sorry for them.

This was the whole reason for the payments in the first place. On the one hand it seems unfair a club in a lower league gets that extra money, but on the other they are stuck with high earners who are far from good value. If the mismanagement continues so they can't go back up, or even in Sunderland's case so they drop again and remain down, it becomes a curse rather than a blessing.

I do not expect them to walk this league by any means and, if the owners make preparation for the contingency of them staying down again, they have still more big adjustments to make.

Fortunately for us, I also think them, Portsmouth and maybe a couple of other sides that have been up to the Championship recently will be seen as much the sides to stop/beat as we will be, if not more so.

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:10 - Jul 31 with 1955 viewspointofblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:38 - Jul 31 by ElderGrizzly

Ah ok, so whatever he does with it it counts against this years accounts.

Thanks for the reply.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:17 - Jul 31 with 1904 viewsHipsterectomy

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:12 - Jul 31 by Keaneish

Sunderland fans hate the guy, he's awful

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:19 - Jul 31 with 1884 viewsolimar

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 21:45 - Jul 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

Guess the contract length has an impact.

Sunderland pal of mine says that he's inconsistent and they have a replacement in a lad called Embleton who is highly rated.

That sounds like the kind of talk our fans were giving last week when Judge was leaving.
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:31 - Jul 31 with 1812 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:05 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

This was the whole reason for the payments in the first place. On the one hand it seems unfair a club in a lower league gets that extra money, but on the other they are stuck with high earners who are far from good value. If the mismanagement continues so they can't go back up, or even in Sunderland's case so they drop again and remain down, it becomes a curse rather than a blessing.

I do not expect them to walk this league by any means and, if the owners make preparation for the contingency of them staying down again, they have still more big adjustments to make.

Fortunately for us, I also think them, Portsmouth and maybe a couple of other sides that have been up to the Championship recently will be seen as much the sides to stop/beat as we will be, if not more so.

Quite. Although I wonder how many gamble with their parachute payments rather than use that time & buffer to cut costs? Which isn’t in the spirit at all. You look at the 3 who went down from the PL in 2018. Last season Stoke kept players & spent, WBA kept (not sure how much they spent), Swansea had a fire-sale and played half their U23. Stoke especially were quite happy to gamble against current, and maybe future, parachute payments. Only Swansea acted aggressively to cut cost (hedge fund owners with no funds to invest, so no choice).

In short, parachute payments seem easily exploited.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:47 - Jul 31 with 1746 viewspeterleeblue

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:17 - Jul 31 by Hipsterectomy

I wouldn't say hate.

He offers little in the current set up. A good box to box. The sort of player you miss when he is injured but then actually wonder why when he is in the team.
Probably needs the move.
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:51 - Jul 31 with 1707 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:17 - Jul 31 by Hipsterectomy

Unusual for fans to hate the Captain?
Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:52 - Jul 31 with 1702 viewsElderGrizzly

Sunderland losing their Captain to Hull for just £400k on 22:47 - Jul 31 by peterleeblue

I wouldn't say hate.

He offers little in the current set up. A good box to box. The sort of player you miss when he is injured but then actually wonder why when he is in the team.
Probably needs the move.

So our Tommy Miller equivalent?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024