Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline 12:44 - Oct 29 with 14974 viewsfooters

Last night I attended a music recital. At one point a young chap (transfixed on his phone, of course) bumped into me, spilling half my pint. He apologised and walked away quickly. Now, is it just me or should he have at least offered a replacement? That's the way I was brought up anyhow.

That got me thinking and must say I've noticed a sharp increase in people ignoring the traditional pub queue as well, just ordering whenever the bar staff ask, instead of correctly pointing out the people who were there before.

Another incident was a mate of mine putting a 50p on a pool table to reserve our spot a while ago. Isn't that normal? The chaps playing didn't seem to think so and told him to remove it before things got physical. We played darts instead.

Are these noble British traditions still in practice elsewhere, or have I merely been unlucky? Whatever the case, it's certainly worrying.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 11:10 - Oct 30 with 1606 viewsBiGDonnie

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:55 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

It's just a general thing now.

Transport is especially bad - nobody respects the queues for the bus and people now seem to try and push onto vehicles before people have gotten off which is ridiculous.

SB

That's how people get tripped up and nudged in the back by accident on purpose.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 18:27 - Oct 30 with 1518 viewsAlexwaddell

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:47 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

The queue thing has been building up over a number of years and now there is almost no respect at all for the concept of waiting your turn. He should have offered you a new pint as well, no question. The pool table one is just weird and not something I've encountered, fortunately.

I remember in 1976, in Glasgow, that Bayern Munich played StEtienne in European final and Glasgow City Council decreed that pubs would be open till 4am (normal closing time was 10pm) and none of the Germans or French could get to the bar for the regulars taking advantage of extended opening. I think it was shortly after UK joining European Market......if I remember correctly Bayern won 1 nil.

Poll: What was today?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:03 - Oct 30 with 1488 viewsOxford_Blue

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:50 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Brexit Britain mate.

All the real things that made the UK quite nice like queuing and respect for public decency are in the bin. People spent too much time worrying about blue passports, brown people and straight bananas, and took their eye of preserving the important stuff.

Maybe I notice it more as an infrequent visitor. Every time I come back the UK seems a little shabbier. Heartbreaking stuff really.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 12:52]

Brexit Britain?

Nonsense. There’s no evidence that any of this is more than anecdotal or that those carrying it it are Brexit voters.

People have been rude sometimes. For many years.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:11 - Oct 30 with 1480 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:03 - Oct 30 by Oxford_Blue

Brexit Britain?

Nonsense. There’s no evidence that any of this is more than anecdotal or that those carrying it it are Brexit voters.

People have been rude sometimes. For many years.

Another sense of humour failure, Oxford? Colour me surprised.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:12 - Oct 30 with 1469 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:11 - Oct 30 by footers

Another sense of humour failure, Oxford? Colour me surprised.

They didn't pay to install the humour programme in Brexitbot.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:14 - Oct 30 with 1467 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:12 - Oct 30 by Herbivore

They didn't pay to install the humour programme in Brexitbot.

Needs the non-literal language and nuance patches by the looks of it too.

Probably made in the UK.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:22 - Oct 30 with 1448 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 20:14 - Oct 30 by footers

Needs the non-literal language and nuance patches by the looks of it too.

Probably made in the UK.

Probably made by Tim Martin rather than James Dyson.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:03 - Oct 31 with 1415 viewsjeera

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:03 - Oct 30 by monytowbray

Pubs have always been awful places. I don’t think there are any bars I feel the need to visit because it’s a good place, people and music make it for me.

That's not true. Pubs can be great places.

I don't like busy pubs but that's because I'm older than I used to be. When I wasn't older I didn't mind them at all.

However, I'm happy enough as a known face at my local or as a complete stranger elsewhere to pull up a barstool and chat with whoever's about. Proper pubs, you know. Not too fancy or shiny, and not mobbed either.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:43 - Oct 31 with 1405 viewsmonytowbray

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:03 - Oct 31 by jeera

That's not true. Pubs can be great places.

I don't like busy pubs but that's because I'm older than I used to be. When I wasn't older I didn't mind them at all.

However, I'm happy enough as a known face at my local or as a complete stranger elsewhere to pull up a barstool and chat with whoever's about. Proper pubs, you know. Not too fancy or shiny, and not mobbed either.

When I am in a pub it tends to be to drink myself to the point of life being numb. Which is also probably why I hate pubs. I do not drink for fun, I drink to self-destruct.

Edgy or something as ABB said.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 01:32 - Oct 31 with 1404 viewsjeera

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:43 - Oct 31 by monytowbray

When I am in a pub it tends to be to drink myself to the point of life being numb. Which is also probably why I hate pubs. I do not drink for fun, I drink to self-destruct.

Music pubs though.

The Grapes was great for years - no idea what it's like now to be fair, at all. But was a lot of fun. The Rising Sun had its moments too.

Places like the Blue Boar over in Walsham was again another brilliant little place for live gigs.

I may have confused your old neck of the woods a bit, I'm not sure, but there used to plenty of those types around. Not so much now I suppose.

*Can relate to the drink thing from when I was younger but tend to kurb it somewhat if I'm out now. Lessons learnt there.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 1:38]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 07:54 - Oct 31 with 1339 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 00:43 - Oct 31 by monytowbray

This sounds like a you problem rather than a pub problem.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 09:47 - Oct 31 with 1314 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 07:54 - Oct 31 by Herbivore

This sounds like a you problem rather than a pub problem.

Ironically, drinking in a pub under the supervision of trained bar staff and other punters is probably healthier and safer for a problem drinker than being sat at home doing it.

Yet another victory for the great British boozer!

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 11:58 - Oct 31 with 1270 viewsmonytowbray

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 01:32 - Oct 31 by jeera

Music pubs though.

The Grapes was great for years - no idea what it's like now to be fair, at all. But was a lot of fun. The Rising Sun had its moments too.

Places like the Blue Boar over in Walsham was again another brilliant little place for live gigs.

I may have confused your old neck of the woods a bit, I'm not sure, but there used to plenty of those types around. Not so much now I suppose.

*Can relate to the drink thing from when I was younger but tend to kurb it somewhat if I'm out now. Lessons learnt there.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 1:38]

I tend to go to pubs based on what’s on or convenient if I do. The Grapes is a dump but often has alright covers bands on. Then again though I think the band makes the night over the location.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:07 - Oct 31 with 1257 viewschicoazul

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 09:47 - Oct 31 by footers

Ironically, drinking in a pub under the supervision of trained bar staff and other punters is probably healthier and safer for a problem drinker than being sat at home doing it.

Yet another victory for the great British boozer!

Like many things now long gone, drinking in a well run pub when slightly under-or-over age was not just about the drinking but also about the learning from wiser more experienced people who helped us all to grow up a bit.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:46 - Nov 7 with 1073 viewsfooters

IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Twice today now. Three-deep at the bar. People ordering tea ffs. Picky punters saying no this, no that, no butter on food orders. A 15-minute wait to get a round while bar staff are learning how to use the till and collecting glasses.

If we were to fight WW3 now we'd lose, and rightfully so. This country's gone to pot.

Oh well, they're showing Inoue v Donaire in the World Boxing Super Series on the box.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024