Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline 12:44 - Oct 29 with 14975 viewsfooters

Last night I attended a music recital. At one point a young chap (transfixed on his phone, of course) bumped into me, spilling half my pint. He apologised and walked away quickly. Now, is it just me or should he have at least offered a replacement? That's the way I was brought up anyhow.

That got me thinking and must say I've noticed a sharp increase in people ignoring the traditional pub queue as well, just ordering whenever the bar staff ask, instead of correctly pointing out the people who were there before.

Another incident was a mate of mine putting a 50p on a pool table to reserve our spot a while ago. Isn't that normal? The chaps playing didn't seem to think so and told him to remove it before things got physical. We played darts instead.

Are these noble British traditions still in practice elsewhere, or have I merely been unlucky? Whatever the case, it's certainly worrying.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:00 - Oct 29 with 4159 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:55 - Oct 29 by Bluefish

I worked in the busiest nightclub in east Anglia for years and the bar would be 10 deep. I always knew who was next but the order in which i served people went as follows

Mates
The bloke who slipped me £20 earlier
The girl most likely to take me home
Off duty staff
Regulars
The next in the queue
Annoying gobby sorts

I believe this 100%, as I expect you had a great view of the bar from up on the podium.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:02 - Oct 29 with 4166 viewsitfcjoe

I went to order a pint at a pub/restaurant a few weeks back, had got to bar at roughly same time as another 2 guys so did the polite 'after you' thing as wans't really that worried.

Between the two of them, and a further mate that joined them they put through 3 separate food and drink orders for a party of 10 or so which took an age before I could order my solitary pint.

Hell is too good for some people

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:03 - Oct 29 with 4154 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:00 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

I believe this 100%, as I expect you had a great view of the bar from up on the podium.

Indeed. What on Earth would someone be slipping a twenty to bar staff for? Clearly stuffed in the old budgie smugglers.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:08 - Oct 29 with 4139 viewssuffolkpoker

I always thought you had to win the table. So when it’s your 50p turn you have to take on the winner. So he gets a chance off winning it back.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:11 - Oct 29 with 4133 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:08 - Oct 29 by suffolkpoker

I always thought you had to win the table. So when it’s your 50p turn you have to take on the winner. So he gets a chance off winning it back.

Doesn't seem very British to have to engage a stranger in public like that though. I think that ruling applies more to groups of friends vying for a place on the table.

Nobody wants to spend fifteen awkward minutes competing and conversing with a stranger. No, the done thing is to sneak a 50p on the table and slink away to a respectful distance to keep watch on your claim, like a suspicious prospector.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:23 - Oct 29 with 4122 viewsbluewein

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 12:50 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Brexit Britain mate.

All the real things that made the UK quite nice like queuing and respect for public decency are in the bin. People spent too much time worrying about blue passports, brown people and straight bananas, and took their eye of preserving the important stuff.

Maybe I notice it more as an infrequent visitor. Every time I come back the UK seems a little shabbier. Heartbreaking stuff really.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 12:52]

Re. Brexit Britain, you're trying too hard now. People have been doing the stuff that the OP was talking about since I started drinking in pubs, which is over 18 years now.

(Apart from the pool table thing. No ones ever lost their rag at me for placing a coin on the table for a game/winner stays on...)

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:30 - Oct 29 with 4100 viewsSikamikanico

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:55 - Oct 29 by Bluefish

I worked in the busiest nightclub in east Anglia for years and the bar would be 10 deep. I always knew who was next but the order in which i served people went as follows

Mates
The bloke who slipped me £20 earlier
The girl most likely to take me home
Off duty staff
Regulars
The next in the queue
Annoying gobby sorts

My mum used to work in a bar when they first moved this way and did exactly the same with the gobby ones.
Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:30 - Oct 29 with 4096 viewshampstead_blue

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:02 - Oct 29 by itfcjoe

I went to order a pint at a pub/restaurant a few weeks back, had got to bar at roughly same time as another 2 guys so did the polite 'after you' thing as wans't really that worried.

Between the two of them, and a further mate that joined them they put through 3 separate food and drink orders for a party of 10 or so which took an age before I could order my solitary pint.

Hell is too good for some people

you should have asked the chef to dip his wick in the sauce for their steak

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:32 - Oct 29 with 4091 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:23 - Oct 29 by bluewein

Re. Brexit Britain, you're trying too hard now. People have been doing the stuff that the OP was talking about since I started drinking in pubs, which is over 18 years now.

(Apart from the pool table thing. No ones ever lost their rag at me for placing a coin on the table for a game/winner stays on...)

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't being entirely serious btw. I do think there is far less civility towards one another nowadays though.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 14:32]

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:35 - Oct 29 with 4085 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:32 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't being entirely serious btw. I do think there is far less civility towards one another nowadays though.

No there isn't, you cock.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:36 - Oct 29 with 4074 viewschicoazul

That's what 40 years of neoliberalism, Thatcherism, Marxism, comprehensive education, and the effective dissolution of/sneering at the family & traditional values gets you blud.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:44 - Oct 29 with 4055 viewsbluewein

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:32 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

Not sure if I've been whoosed or not now.

But I agree, civility is dying a bit. I was at Ally Pally on Saturday night watching Hot Chip and one of my biggest peevs is people who barge their way down to the front half way through a gig pretending they're "enjoying the moment" when really they being pricks who want to get to the front because they couldn't be bothered to drag themselves away from the bar to see the gig.

Arseheads...
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 14:44]

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:44 - Oct 29 with 4052 viewsfactual_blue

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:33 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

Spot on decent bar staff are hard to find. Knowing who was next to be served used to be an important part of the job as did not needing a till to total the bill.

All your worries are at an end....

https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/facial-recognition-to-tell-pub-staff-whos-next-i

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:46 - Oct 29 with 4042 viewsfactual_blue

Welcome to brexit Britain.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:50 - Oct 29 with 4030 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:44 - Oct 29 by bluewein

But I agree, civility is dying a bit. I was at Ally Pally on Saturday night watching Hot Chip and one of my biggest peevs is people who barge their way down to the front half way through a gig pretending they're "enjoying the moment" when really they being pricks who want to get to the front because they couldn't be bothered to drag themselves away from the bar to see the gig.

Arseheads...

Agree 100%.

People who grope crowd surfers need shooting too.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:51 - Oct 29 with 4029 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:44 - Oct 29 by bluewein

Arseheads...

That happened last night too. "This band is one of my favourites and seeing them up close is really important to me, which is why I've arrived ten minutes into the set so I'll now push past a hundred people to get to the front."

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:51 - Oct 29 with 4022 viewsfooters

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:46 - Oct 29 by factual_blue

Welcome to brexit Britain.

Thank you. I'll have the chlorinated veal, please.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:52 - Oct 29 with 4020 viewsEwan_Oozami

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:36 - Oct 29 by chicoazul

That's what 40 years of neoliberalism, Thatcherism, Marxism, comprehensive education, and the effective dissolution of/sneering at the family & traditional values gets you blud.

That's a nice little jaunt across almost the entire political spectrum there in one sentence! :-)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:52 - Oct 29 with 4018 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:51 - Oct 29 by footers

That happened last night too. "This band is one of my favourites and seeing them up close is really important to me, which is why I've arrived ten minutes into the set so I'll now push past a hundred people to get to the front."

To be fair, Lisa Stansfield puts on one hell of a show.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:53 - Oct 29 with 4018 viewsGeoffSentence

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 13:01 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

There was a story doing the round the other day about an elderly couple who refused to move out of their seats on a train for a family of 5 who'd pre-booked said seats.

When in Oz, we were travelling on the fantastic tram service along The Gold Coast and a bunch of baseball capped, basketball vest wearing youth got on heading for Surfers Paradise. Next stop, two old dears get on and two of the lads immediately got up and gave their seats up AND without the others smirking at them either.

Cheeky feckers. I hope they eventually did the decent thing and gave the seats up to the people who had booked them.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:54 - Oct 29 with 4008 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:53 - Oct 29 by GeoffSentence

Cheeky feckers. I hope they eventually did the decent thing and gave the seats up to the people who had booked them.

Clearly we no longer need to show respect old folk now that

1) none of them fought in a war and
2) have in fact got fat and comfortable by pulling up the ladder on the younger generations.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 14:57]

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:58 - Oct 29 with 3996 viewsHerbivore

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:52 - Oct 29 by Ewan_Oozami

That's a nice little jaunt across almost the entire political spectrum there in one sentence! :-)

Poor chico is very confused about what constitutes Marxism.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:58 - Oct 29 with 3995 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 14:58 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

Poor chico is very confused about what constitutes Marxism.

You only needed the first half of that sentence really.

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:00 - Oct 29 with 3992 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

May as well remove the word pub and just have etiquette.

It's a number of things.

1) Parents not bothering to teach their children manners
2) An influx of people from all walks of life (which is great overall) but does mean a lot of different behaviours, some of which are considered rude to us but normally in the persons own culture
3) Everything becoming so instant. People can't even walk to a takeaway 5 minutes away anymore. Uber Eats is actually a thing.
4) The whole fact we are British and polite means that we don't actually try and correct any of these things, at best we tut in our heads and walk away.
5) Young people have limited respect for their elders. They used to fear older people (not always a good thing), authority and show respect, but this is now pretty much gone, creating a free for all.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:06 - Oct 29 with 3968 viewsSpruceMoose

Pub etiquette: a case study in moral decline on 15:00 - Oct 29 by WarkTheWarkITFC

May as well remove the word pub and just have etiquette.

It's a number of things.

1) Parents not bothering to teach their children manners
2) An influx of people from all walks of life (which is great overall) but does mean a lot of different behaviours, some of which are considered rude to us but normally in the persons own culture
3) Everything becoming so instant. People can't even walk to a takeaway 5 minutes away anymore. Uber Eats is actually a thing.
4) The whole fact we are British and polite means that we don't actually try and correct any of these things, at best we tut in our heads and walk away.
5) Young people have limited respect for their elders. They used to fear older people (not always a good thing), authority and show respect, but this is now pretty much gone, creating a free for all.

Regarding number 5. I think old people are in part to blame for abusing this privilege.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024