Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree 11:32 - Nov 7 with 7222 viewsitfcjoe

Had started the season very well with a tiny budget, obviously more to it - a shame though as was interested to see how he got on as he always had Leiston playing some nice stuff and took them as far as anyone could

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:19 - Nov 8 with 2266 viewsITFCMonk

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 08:45 - Nov 8 by maccyd9

Just out of interest, what makes you think you should be in the play off's?

I don’t think the budget is enough of an issue as it’s made out. At the end of the day, most of the best part-time players would want to play for Braintree so I don’t think they need convincing or enter any bidding wars. Brad Quinton managed a return promotion last time at the first attempt via play offs with a weaker squad a couple of seasons ago.
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:43 - Nov 8 with 2231 viewsbrazil1982

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 10:27 - Nov 8 by BrightonBlue

Was he Thurleston?

Yep.
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:45 - Nov 8 with 2226 viewsITFC_Forever

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 11:00 - Nov 8 by maccyd9

Money has gone crazy at all levels now.

Almost every play in National North/South has an agent and stupid fees and wages being paid in the steps below.

In academy football, Town U15 played Norwich a few weeks back and Norwich had three 14 year olds that they'd paid £500k each for. None stood out.

It's been like that for years.

Players at Canvey Island in the mid-00s when they were Conference / Conference South were on £2k - £3k a week.
A number of them rejected moves to L1 / L2 sides as they'd be worse off.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:51 - Nov 8 with 2217 viewswoodbridge_blue

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 10:14 - Nov 8 by portmanking

Wealthy millionaire backer - a race horse owner from the local area.

Talk of £10k player signing on fees are wide of the mark, but they did pay £12k in a transfer fee to Leiston for Seb Dunbar. I'm told Bullard, Jefford and Blake are all on £350 p/w.

The club could easily hold its own a couple of leagues above when you consider the size of the town and the way that much-smaller Needham Market have achieved it.

The Town Council needs to believe in what's going on at Greens Meadow and give the club some slack to make the necessary improvements that could help them become Suffolk's 'second team'.

As a Woodbridge Town supporter, where players are on a tiny fraction of what the Stowmarket players are earning, I have no issue whatsoever with what clubs pay their players....if they have the means to do so, good luck to them, and I recall when we first joined what was then the Jewson League we splashed some decent money around to secure the likes of Hubbick, Thorpe, Garnham, Oldfield and both Barkers from Sudbury.

However, the big issue at this level is sustainability....if Stow can continue to pay that sort of money for several seasons to come they could easily rise up the pyramid. Unfortunately though, players will be quick to disappear once the money drops.

No doubt whatsoever...all the other clubs in the Eastern Counties League Premier are playing for second place this season!
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 14:04 - Nov 8 with 2199 viewsportmanking

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:51 - Nov 8 by woodbridge_blue

As a Woodbridge Town supporter, where players are on a tiny fraction of what the Stowmarket players are earning, I have no issue whatsoever with what clubs pay their players....if they have the means to do so, good luck to them, and I recall when we first joined what was then the Jewson League we splashed some decent money around to secure the likes of Hubbick, Thorpe, Garnham, Oldfield and both Barkers from Sudbury.

However, the big issue at this level is sustainability....if Stow can continue to pay that sort of money for several seasons to come they could easily rise up the pyramid. Unfortunately though, players will be quick to disappear once the money drops.

No doubt whatsoever...all the other clubs in the Eastern Counties League Premier are playing for second place this season!

Sustainability is the big buzzword at the club when you head up there. I had a really great chat with Stow's chairman over a pint a few months ago. He said that the club is in safe hands with no debt and the current backer is more determined than anyone at the club to push Stow into the Conference South, if possible.

Sponsorship levels have gone through the roof since the club's increased exposure. Success breeds success, just look at Needham Market who appear to be stable at Step 3 despite having much smaller potential than Stow.
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 14:05 - Nov 8 with 2198 viewstractorboy1978

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:51 - Nov 8 by woodbridge_blue

My question would be more "why are these people putting that kind of money in". It is a bloody expensive hobby. How high can Stowmarket realistically go?
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 14:11 - Nov 8 with 2186 viewsmaccyd9

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:19 - Nov 8 by ITFCMonk

I don’t think the budget is enough of an issue as it’s made out. At the end of the day, most of the best part-time players would want to play for Braintree so I don’t think they need convincing or enter any bidding wars. Brad Quinton managed a return promotion last time at the first attempt via play offs with a weaker squad a couple of seasons ago.

Miles off being as clear cut as that.

I have seen first hand the problem the budget has caused.

There is barely a club at that level that has any pull other than financial. All but 3 of the clubs in the league are full time and the rest blow Braintree away with what they can offer.

Nearly every player at this level is part time and have jobs and families to support. Most of the Braintree squad are/were travelling from far away for training twice a week and then a game on the Saturday. A fair few are barely breaking even.

Braintree have no pull at that level on reputation only. They are a small club with a small fanbase, with poor facilities.

The budget Brad had was double this years budget, if not more. And I suspect there wasn't the multitude of clubs chucking crazy money at it.

Matt Rhead at Billericay was getting more than the whole Braintree squad per week.
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 16:20 - Nov 8 with 2097 viewslmfcblue

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 10:14 - Nov 8 by portmanking

Wealthy millionaire backer - a race horse owner from the local area.

Talk of £10k player signing on fees are wide of the mark, but they did pay £12k in a transfer fee to Leiston for Seb Dunbar. I'm told Bullard, Jefford and Blake are all on £350 p/w.

The club could easily hold its own a couple of leagues above when you consider the size of the town and the way that much-smaller Needham Market have achieved it.

The Town Council needs to believe in what's going on at Greens Meadow and give the club some slack to make the necessary improvements that could help them become Suffolk's 'second team'.

Some big money paid out in transfer fees to Leiston lots of players have come from there.
They are obviously chasing the FA Vase so throwing money at it. Big bonuses if they win it!
Tbh Stow should've been promoted by now, they've been throwing money at it for years but have failed. The League will be won by Christmas this time around though.
Login to get fewer ads

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 18:17 - Nov 8 with 2052 viewsghostofescobar

I always preferred his brother, Van.

GhostOfEscobar

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 18:37 - Nov 8 with 2047 viewsjaykay

stowmarket team is more or less leiston team last year. same old players chasing the £.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 00:12 - Nov 9 with 1971 viewspaperandstrings

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:23 - Nov 7 by BecclesITFC

Back to Leiston? They are currently bottom of the league.

Going back to Leiston 100%
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 22:05 - Nov 11 with 1805 viewshatch

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:23 - Nov 7 by BecclesITFC

Back to Leiston? They are currently bottom of the league.

Confirmed tonight, rejoins with Kinsella. Probably the only man that can save them now. Although their squad is unrecognisable to what it was under him before.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 22:06]
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:03 - Nov 12 with 1613 viewshavinit69

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 13:19 - Nov 8 by ITFCMonk

Dear oh Dear! I thought some of our (ITFC) fans were deluded but you my friend top the lot!

Your own Chairman came out at the start of the season and said that this season was all about survival, yet here you are thinking that just because you spent 1 or 2 season in the Conference Prem on a sizeable budget that it entitles you to be challenging this season on a budget that is the LOWEST of any team in that division!

You do realise that when Glen took over that Braintree Town had just ONE player signed on? So that squad you have now was assembled by him from scratch and is made up of players from lower leagues because your club can't afford anything else? Yet you pin point a couple of poor performances against lower placed teams and fail to mention how they went to full time teams and won against all the odds and he left with the club 9th in the table, one win outside of the play off places (which they achieved Saturday).

I hate to break it to you fella, but if you think things are bad now, I fear for you over the coming months.

Oh I forgot, because you are Braintree Town, most of the best part time players are going to come and play for less than they'd get at any other club at that level!! lol
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:19 - Nov 12 with 1594 viewsSuperblue95

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:03 - Nov 12 by havinit69

Dear oh Dear! I thought some of our (ITFC) fans were deluded but you my friend top the lot!

Your own Chairman came out at the start of the season and said that this season was all about survival, yet here you are thinking that just because you spent 1 or 2 season in the Conference Prem on a sizeable budget that it entitles you to be challenging this season on a budget that is the LOWEST of any team in that division!

You do realise that when Glen took over that Braintree Town had just ONE player signed on? So that squad you have now was assembled by him from scratch and is made up of players from lower leagues because your club can't afford anything else? Yet you pin point a couple of poor performances against lower placed teams and fail to mention how they went to full time teams and won against all the odds and he left with the club 9th in the table, one win outside of the play off places (which they achieved Saturday).

I hate to break it to you fella, but if you think things are bad now, I fear for you over the coming months.

Oh I forgot, because you are Braintree Town, most of the best part time players are going to come and play for less than they'd get at any other club at that level!! lol

You don’t agree with his post then?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:21 - Nov 12 with 1586 viewsportmanking

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:03 - Nov 12 by havinit69

Afternoon, Glen!
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:31 - Nov 12 with 1566 viewsflimflam

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 22:05 - Nov 11 by hatch

Confirmed tonight, rejoins with Kinsella. Probably the only man that can save them now. Although their squad is unrecognisable to what it was under him before.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2019 22:06]

A few dropped down to Stowmarket, one an ex ITFC yout.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:32 - Nov 12 with 1564 viewshavinit69

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:21 - Nov 12 by portmanking

Afternoon, Glen!

Afraid not portmanking, just your average ITFC fan that may or may not know Glen well enough to know when other people haven't got the first clue what they are talking about.
Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 16:08 - Nov 12 with 1463 viewshatch

Glen Driver resigns from Braintree on 12:31 - Nov 12 by flimflam

A few dropped down to Stowmarket, one an ex ITFC yout.

Byron Lawrence is rejoining Leiston from Braintree too
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024