Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why you can't trust Tories 21:08 - Nov 19 with 8811 viewsKievthegreat

CCHQ's press account has rebranded itself as "Fact Check UK" tonight and now doesn't mention the conservatives except for a tiny "CCHQ" in the corner.

Take a look at factcheckUK (@CCHQPress): https://twitter.com/CCHQPress?s=09
Why you can't trust Tories on 08:22 - Nov 20 with 2463 viewsHerbivore

Why you can't trust Tories on 08:17 - Nov 20 by Keaneish

It says CCHQ three times. It’s pretty hard to miss that this is a CCHQ feed.

They were only visible if you went on their page, on their tweets on twitter feeds the fact check name was all that was visible. You're also assuming that Joe Public knows what CCHQ stands for when there is no mention of the Conservative Party nearby.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Why you can't trust Tories on 08:22 - Nov 20 with 2463 viewsLankHenners

It’s pretty easy at a glance to think it’s a genuine fact check account, which is the whole point. The thing about fake news, and why the banning of political ads was never going to make a great difference, is that it’s all about duping people who only look for a moment. It’s why headlines are important. This is especially effective/egregious on Twitter as the whole site is about brevity and instant impressions rather than a detailed look into everything.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Why you can't trust Tories on 09:28 - Nov 20 with 2416 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I think you’ve looked at it since they’ve changed it back there

Opening the account and scanning it closely a user would have seen it, but Tweets just popping up in feeds would have looked like an independent fact checking account. Plus even where CCHQ was still mentioned it was subtle and I’d say it’s questionable if the average person would realise immediately what that is

Shameful

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Why you can't trust Tories on 09:37 - Nov 20 with 2408 viewsRyorry

Why you can't trust Tories on 09:28 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Opening the account and scanning it closely a user would have seen it, but Tweets just popping up in feeds would have looked like an independent fact checking account. Plus even where CCHQ was still mentioned it was subtle and I’d say it’s questionable if the average person would realise immediately what that is

Shameful

There may also be a subliminal link to it sounding a bit like GCHQ which most people are aware of as a UK security agency. Crafty.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why you can't trust Tories on 10:18 - Nov 20 with 2381 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 09:37 - Nov 20 by Ryorry

There may also be a subliminal link to it sounding a bit like GCHQ which most people are aware of as a UK security agency. Crafty.

Possible but I think it’s far fetched to suggest that bit was deliberate - it’s bad enough as it is!

Why you can't trust Tories on 10:28 - Nov 20 with 2366 viewsWeWereZombies

More likely that some frightened rabbits will see CCHQ in the corner and assume that it refers to a closed circuit surveillance supremo at their mortgage provider and it will give them yet another reason to never leave the house...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Why you can't trust Tories on 11:42 - Nov 20 with 2315 viewsRyorry

Why you can't trust Tories on 10:18 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Possible but I think it’s far fetched to suggest that bit was deliberate - it’s bad enough as it is!

Doubt they'll have been too upset by it as a "happy accident" tho!

Why you can't trust Tories on 11:53 - Nov 20 with 2301 viewsSwansea_Blue

I made that mistake first time I saw it. But then I used to live near GCHQ, whereas I reckon many people won’t know what GCHQ means either!

Anyway, it worked. Everyone’s talking about The Tories again. It suffocates the other parties of air time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:02 - Nov 20 with 2290 viewsRyorry

Why you can't trust Tories on 11:53 - Nov 20 by Swansea_Blue

I made that mistake first time I saw it. But then I used to live near GCHQ, whereas I reckon many people won’t know what GCHQ means either!

Anyway, it worked. Everyone’s talking about The Tories again. It suffocates the other parties of air time.

I did too, yet I live 200 miles away!

You're right in your 2nd para.

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:08 - Nov 20 with 2280 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why you can't trust Tories on 09:28 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Shameful

These tweets occasionally pop up on my feed. No mention of it being a Labour account when they pop up. Not that this in any way excuses what the Tories did.

https://twitter.com/The_InsiderUK

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:17 - Nov 20 with 2259 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:08 - Nov 20 by GlasgowBlue

These tweets occasionally pop up on my feed. No mention of it being a Labour account when they pop up. Not that this in any way excuses what the Tories did.

https://twitter.com/The_InsiderUK

Saw that mentioned on the bottom of the BBC article and hadn’t previously realised it existed - that’s equally poor, quite clearly. Pretty apparent that these types of tactics are abundant across the political spectrum

Really needs to be controls put in place to prevent this sort of thing - as a starting point my suggestion would be that anything that comes from or is paid for by a political party must display the party logo, and that individuals that pay for messages are legally responsible for the content, but that probably only scratches the surface and tbh I have no idea how feasible that is

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:21 - Nov 20 with 2249 viewsLankHenners

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:17 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Saw that mentioned on the bottom of the BBC article and hadn’t previously realised it existed - that’s equally poor, quite clearly. Pretty apparent that these types of tactics are abundant across the political spectrum

Really needs to be controls put in place to prevent this sort of thing - as a starting point my suggestion would be that anything that comes from or is paid for by a political party must display the party logo, and that individuals that pay for messages are legally responsible for the content, but that probably only scratches the surface and tbh I have no idea how feasible that is

Except it's not "equally poor" is it.

It's not good and there's a few of these sorts of things about across the political spectrum but it's not even on the same level as the stunt pulled last night.

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:28 - Nov 20 with 2222 viewsuefacup81

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:21 - Nov 20 by LankHenners

It's not good and there's a few of these sorts of things about across the political spectrum but it's not even on the same level as the stunt pulled last night.

Agreed.

Last night was as calculated as it comes.

1) Take the CCHQ Twitter feed, which plenty of Tory supporters will already be following
2) Rebrand it to look like an independent fact-checker
3) 'New' rebadged tweets start appearing in followers' timelines
4) They assume it's all legit and re-tweet them
5) Profit

[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 12:29]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:29 - Nov 20 with 2212 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:21 - Nov 20 by LankHenners

It’s a Labour account dressed up to look like an independent organisation, Tweeting anti-Tory propaganda that when it subsequently goes viral looks like an independent source

How is it different?

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:37 - Nov 20 with 2185 viewsLankHenners

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:29 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s a Labour account dressed up to look like an independent organisation, Tweeting anti-Tory propaganda that when it subsequently goes viral looks like an independent source

How is it different?

Is the account in question the official Labour communications account and did it change its name and image to look like an independent fact checker during a live TV debate between the PM and LOTO?

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:39 - Nov 20 with 2180 viewsHerbivore

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:29 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How is it different?

For a start all of the tweets seem to have links to a labour.org.uk webpage in them, which gives a pretty strong clue as to where they are from. I agree it's not great and should be more transparent but it's not the same as the Tories attempting to con people into thinking their central comms account is actually an independent fact checker.

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:44 - Nov 20 with 2168 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:37 - Nov 20 by LankHenners

Is the account in question the official Labour communications account and did it change its name and image to look like an independent fact checker during a live TV debate between the PM and LOTO?

It is an official Labour account and it did have a name and image to look like an independent source during the debate, yes

It’s exactly the same playbook - tweet propaganda against the other party and when it goes viral the public won’t realise where it comes from

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:46 - Nov 20 with 2160 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:39 - Nov 20 by Herbivore

For a start all of the tweets seem to have links to a labour.org.uk webpage in them, which gives a pretty strong clue as to where they are from. I agree it's not great and should be more transparent but it's not the same as the Tories attempting to con people into thinking their central comms account is actually an independent fact checker.

Just had a glance and 4 of the first 7 tweets that I saw don’t have obvious links to a Labour webpage - at least not when viewing Twitter on an iPhone, which I would wager is probably the most common way of consuming it

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:46 - Nov 20 with 2160 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:17 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

At least the Lib Dems are old school and go in for fake newspapers.

https://order-order.com/2017/05/08/lying-lib-dems-peddle-fake-news/
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 12:47]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:49 - Nov 20 with 2150 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:46 - Nov 20 by GlasgowBlue

At least the Lib Dems are old school and go in for fake newspapers.

https://order-order.com/2017/05/08/lying-lib-dems-peddle-fake-news/
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 12:47]

Bless them, they’ll catch up with the times eventually

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:50 - Nov 20 with 2144 viewsLankHenners

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:44 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It is an official Labour account and it did have a name and image to look like an independent source during the debate, yes

It’s exactly the same playbook - tweet propaganda against the other party and when it goes viral the public won’t realise where it comes from

First para is clearly not the same thing and I think you know that and are being deliberately disingenuous.

So goalposts have been moved from ‘these two things are equal’ to ‘equal if we broaden out to cover propaganda as a whole’.

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:56 - Nov 20 with 2123 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:50 - Nov 20 by LankHenners

First para is clearly not the same thing and I think you know that and are being deliberately disingenuous.

So goalposts have been moved from ‘these two things are equal’ to ‘equal if we broaden out to cover propaganda as a whole’.

What are you on about?

You could make an argument that the Tories only did it for an hour and the handle still showed CCHQ whereas the Labour one is ongoing and more subtle. However that would also be a ridiculous attempt to excuse the Tories

Both parties quite obviously attempt to dupe the public via misleading info on Social Media. That’s shameful practice and should be condemned, rather than performing mental gymnastics to try and justify why your side isn’t as bad as the other one

Why you can't trust Tories on 13:04 - Nov 20 with 2104 viewsLankHenners

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:56 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What are you on about?

You could make an argument that the Tories only did it for an hour and the handle still showed CCHQ whereas the Labour one is ongoing and more subtle. However that would also be a ridiculous attempt to excuse the Tories

Both parties quite obviously attempt to dupe the public via misleading info on Social Media. That’s shameful practice and should be condemned, rather than performing mental gymnastics to try and justify why your side isn’t as bad as the other one

It’s name and image looked like that during the debate because it always does, not because it was something obviously representing a party and altered to look independent at a point when there’s be a surge in interest in politics, facts etc.

Yes you could make that argument but as you say you wouldn’t because you’d have to be a bit of a div to make it. Not sure why you mentioned that.

I’ve already said that sort of behaviour is bad, so don’t accuse me of something I’m not doing. It’s not ‘mental gymnastics’ to point out one is pretty blatantly more egregious than the other.

Why you can't trust Tories on 13:06 - Nov 20 with 2103 viewsHerbivore

Why you can't trust Tories on 12:46 - Nov 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Just had a glance and 4 of the first 7 tweets that I saw don’t have obvious links to a Labour webpage - at least not when viewing Twitter on an iPhone, which I would wager is probably the most common way of consuming it

You must be including retweets. I've had a look through and almost all of their authored tweets link to stories with a labour.org.uk web link. As I said, it should be more transparent for sure but it's not the equivalent of the stunt the Tories pulled last night.

Why you can't trust Tories on 13:06 - Nov 20 with 2102 viewsmrshallisfit

Why you can't trust Tories on 07:19 - Nov 20 by BloomBlue

You have to laugh don't you people getting upset because somecone changed their brand on Twitter. Twitter a completly pointless entity and people getting upset over it.
The world has gone mad.

Or I see. So Twitter has no impact on people's opinions - pushing them to vote one way or another. I think the general consensus is that social media does have a tiny weeny role in forming and shaping opinions. The Russian state certainly thinks so.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024