Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Questions now have to be asked 17:03 - Dec 7 with 1773 viewspointofblue

After such an excellent first half what happened in the second? Did we even have a shot on goal, from memory? Why can’t we change things to impose ourselves, something which other teams seem to manage against us with ease.

We’re second in a very poor league but we ourselves are much of a muchness. This season is turning into Sunderland’s from last year, where too many draws damaged them. We need to be able to hold on to leads and change things around when we’re on the back foot; we struggle terribly with both.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Questions now have to be asked on 17:05 - Dec 7 with 1734 viewsHerbivore

We have changed things to impose ourselves, think second halves versus Tranmere and Wimbledon for example. I do think Lambert is slow to respond at times though and doesn't necessarily anticipate how the opposition might change things. He's no tactician really.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Questions now have to be asked on 17:05 - Dec 7 with 1720 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, but if the first half has gone well, surely all you want is more of the same? Then, if the opposition change their shape or tactics, you have to react.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Questions now have to be asked on 17:07 - Dec 7 with 1692 viewstiptreeblue

Good Grief

we are in this division because we deserve to be there, do you expect teams just to let us turn up and take the three points?.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 17:08]
Questions now have to be asked on 17:08 - Dec 7 with 1671 viewspointofblue

Questions now have to be asked on 17:05 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

Yes, but if the first half has gone well, surely all you want is more of the same? Then, if the opposition change their shape or tactics, you have to react.

I agree - but the reaction was laboured and didn’t really make a difference. So we can change things for the better against the lower sides when it’s tactical idiocy that puts us in trouble in the first place; we fail to often against sides around us and this is at League One level rather than Championship.

Questions now have to be asked on 17:08 - Dec 7 with 1659 viewsMrTown

Won’t be too dramatic tonight. First half we were very good.

We don’t sustain 90 minutes of pressure but very fairly any team does. We’ve gone away to 5th in the league and we’re outstanding for 45 minutes.

We’re a League 1 football club, there will be negatives and positive constantly.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Questions now have to be asked on 17:08 - Dec 7 with 1653 viewsJDB23

Just looked at the table, if you think Doncaster leapfrog Burton with a point from their two games in hand then that means we have one, yes one, win against teams in the top half. That is simply not good enough moving forward.

This team can't string more than a 45 min performance together and cannot score more than 1 goal in those 45 minutes. People can keep talking about "2nd in the league with games in hand" but that is very much due to our start of the season, recently we have been extremely average and if that trend continues we will only go one way.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2019 17:10]
Questions now have to be asked on 17:11 - Dec 7 with 1626 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why now? What’s particularly different about today over many of the other matches where we’ve played well in games but not been able to control the game and finish teams off? It looks very much like this is how it will continue to be under Lambert.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Questions now have to be asked on 17:12 - Dec 7 with 1602 viewspointofblue

Questions now have to be asked on 17:11 - Dec 7 by Swansea_Blue

Why now? What’s particularly different about today over many of the other matches where we’ve played well in games but not been able to control the game and finish teams off? It looks very much like this is how it will continue to be under Lambert.

Fair point but there becomes a snapping point - maybe this should be it. To go from sublime to ridiculous over half time without effectively being able to changes things when the opposition gets on top... what’s new?

Login to get fewer ads

Questions now have to be asked on 17:13 - Dec 7 with 1594 views44_not_out

‘Questions Now have to Be asked’

My god, 4 points clear of 3rd place and a game in hand...... I think you’re melt down is a little over the top. Imagine the flouncing on here if we were mid table.

Now for the phone in......
Questions now have to be asked on 17:16 - Dec 7 with 1561 viewsSomethingBlue

Questions now have to be asked on 17:12 - Dec 7 by pointofblue

Fair point but there becomes a snapping point - maybe this should be it. To go from sublime to ridiculous over half time without effectively being able to changes things when the opposition gets on top... what’s new?

A snapping point? What do you want to happen? It's not a brilliant run but nor is it a particularly bad one and we remain in the driving seat for promotion.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Questions now have to be asked on 17:16 - Dec 7 with 1558 viewsJohnTy

Questions now have to be asked on 17:13 - Dec 7 by 44_not_out

My god, 4 points clear of 3rd place and a game in hand...... I think you’re melt down is a little over the top. Imagine the flouncing on here if we were mid table.

The form table is revealing. 11th over last 6 games.
Questions now have to be asked on 17:17 - Dec 7 with 1537 viewspointofblue

Questions now have to be asked on 17:13 - Dec 7 by 44_not_out

Our game in hand is away at Oxford.

Questions now have to be asked on 17:18 - Dec 7 with 1521 viewsDarth_Koont

Think we've got to put Coventry into the equation and probably recognize that they got things wrong in the first half and made us look better. But we played well and exploited that with our attacking play and using Will Keane's strengths.

Second half, right from the start, as much as Coventry changed their approach we then made them look good by wasting possession and giving the ball away too cheaply. Keane was largely a passenger despite him continuing to look for the ball.

Good game overall but we got what we deserved by not pressing home the advantage when we had it. I'm sure Coventry will feel the same.

Pronouns: He/Him

Questions now have to be asked on 17:20 - Dec 7 with 1506 viewsSomethingBlue

Questions now have to be asked on 17:16 - Dec 7 by JohnTy

The form table that shows us four points clear in second with a game in hand after 18 is also pretty revealing I'd suggest. In any season there are mediocre runs. I see little need for drama.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Questions now have to be asked on 17:21 - Dec 7 with 1499 viewsbilllm

We had chances to finish this game early,no town team in recent history can do this, hence opens the door and we let teams walk through it, last ten minutes were better, but even then Coventry should have won it, Lambert's or is great, as a manager closer to McCarthy inept tactically, I would say he's like McCarthy to matey, he should be laying into them for two points dropped,
Questions now have to be asked on 17:24 - Dec 7 with 1455 viewsBloomBlue

Questions now have to be asked on 17:07 - Dec 7 by tiptreeblue

Good Grief

we are in this division because we deserve to be there, do you expect teams just to let us turn up and take the three points?.

Yes many fans do
Questions now have to be asked on 17:24 - Dec 7 with 1457 views44_not_out

Questions now have to be asked on 17:16 - Dec 7 by JohnTy

Keep up the positivity......[some] Town fans are priceless
Questions now have to be asked on 17:31 - Dec 7 with 1412 viewspointofblue

Good Grief

I expect no team to turn up and gift us three points. I do expect us to have shown more authority and control over matches than we have throughout the season considering the strength of our midfield inparticular.

Maybe I'm just annoyed that we finally were able to do this in the first half but crumbled horribly easily in the second, even overlooking that Coventry were going to try and step it up.

Questions now have to be asked on 18:06 - Dec 7 with 1337 viewscapncub

Totally agree, apart from Norwood's shot in the week I can't remember when we had a shot on target that was not a goal! Lambert has a huge squad yet he does not know his best starting eleven or formation. We were top without really playing well and we should have been buzzing, but we have continued to swap out players allowing no one to get a good run of form together. Look at Norwood against Wycombe, if he had not spent a couple of games sitting at home, "rested" would he have missed that open goal chance? With our squad we should have a core team with fringe players baying for their chance, instead we have players who are swapped in an out all the time, many know that they will be left out next game regardless of how they play. Case in point, Will Norris today, he made some terrible choices in the second half, did he really care, he will no doubt sit out the next game regardless?. Squad rotation is crazy, where is the good in having players still with fuel in the tank come April if we are in a mid table position with nothing to play for? The results speak for themselves, one win in 8, if this was under McCarthy the wolves would be baying!
Questions now have to be asked on 08:56 - Dec 8 with 1001 viewscapncub

Good Grief

No - I expect teams to turn up not knowing what side or formation we will turn out with. I expect teams to learn and quickly adapt. I expect teams to know that if they hustle us and put players under pressure we will eventually give them the ball back. I expect teams to quickly dispense with defenders as we have little goal threat. I expect we will have several different players on Wednesday rather than build on the first half of yesterday. I then expect we will have another set of players next Saturday and we will once again start two try and build a team and I expect once again we willl have another attempt at playing one up front because that always works out so well for us.
Questions now have to be asked on 09:29 - Dec 8 with 949 viewspatrickswell

Questions now have to be asked on 17:21 - Dec 7 by billlm

We had chances to finish this game early,no town team in recent history can do this, hence opens the door and we let teams walk through it, last ten minutes were better, but even then Coventry should have won it, Lambert's or is great, as a manager closer to McCarthy inept tactically, I would say he's like McCarthy to matey, he should be laying into them for two points dropped,

This was quite a well written post up to the end when your communication pod started to malfunction.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2019 9:29]
Questions now have to be asked on 14:03 - Dec 8 with 856 viewsbilllm

Questions now have to be asked on 09:29 - Dec 8 by patrickswell

This was quite a well written post up to the end when your communication pod started to malfunction.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2019 9:29]

Yes should have read Lambert's PR not or
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024