Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader 12:49 - Jan 16 with 12108 viewsGlasgowBlue

Discuss.

For me she ticks all of the right boxes to cover all wings of the party.

Not Blairite whilst but soft left so no Corbyn connection.

No tolerance of antisemitism in the Labour Party whilst at the same time is the Chair of Labour Friends of Palestine.

Good with the media. Actually got the better of Andrew Neil last night.

Very honest. Would eat Boris for dinner at PMQ’s.

Oh and she could be the first female elected as Labour leader.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:48 - Jan 17 with 1061 viewsitfcjoe

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:34 - Jan 17 by Darth_Koont

Joe, have a word.

The NHS and Brexit were always going to be on the agenda. Days were set aside for them, not one session.

Why was the NHS seen as 6th most important? The way I read it the CLP are told what the Trade Union's 4 priorities are and to avoid them - which explains Brexit but not the NHS.

But out of all the issues this country is facing to even have Palestine up in the top 14 would be crazy enough

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:52 - Jan 17 with 1052 viewsBluesquid

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:13 - Jan 17 by brazil1982

Why is Labour so obsessed with Palestine? Why all the effort?

You really don't know the history of the Palestinian issue do you?

Do well to read up on it and the major role that Britain played in creating the mess and therefore Britain has a morale obligation to pursue a fair and balanced solution for all parties which Labour are trying to do.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 13:23]
Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:52 - Jan 17 with 1052 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:44 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

I think it is an ultra lefty thing, it's just so far removed from the needs of the working class who they need to be a representative of

You're better than this, Joe.

Israel/Palestine has been a domestic political battleground for well over 50 years. You might as well argue why unflinching support for Israel and foreign policy/military forays into the Middle East from the "ultra right" in the UK and US is so far removed from the needs of the people they need to be representing.

Pronouns: He/Him

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:06 - Jan 17 with 1024 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:48 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

Why was the NHS seen as 6th most important? The way I read it the CLP are told what the Trade Union's 4 priorities are and to avoid them - which explains Brexit but not the NHS.

But out of all the issues this country is facing to even have Palestine up in the top 14 would be crazy enough

Then you're a little naive. Palestine and its foreign policy implications are massively important. It's even been central to the most powerful lobbying in domestic politics in the US and the UK.

Re: the NHS coming in 6th, I can see why it doesn't necessarily take priority over certain others like schools, housing, Brexit, working contracts as they are hugely important too. But it was still important and still debated.

And do you feel Windrush was more or less important than the NHS? That only affected a relatively small amount of people in representative terms but of course the implications are enormous beyond that. Same with Palestine IMO as an example of the foreign policy we want from our government.

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:10 - Jan 17 with 1015 viewsitfcjoe

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:52 - Jan 17 by Darth_Koont

You're better than this, Joe.

Israel/Palestine has been a domestic political battleground for well over 50 years. You might as well argue why unflinching support for Israel and foreign policy/military forays into the Middle East from the "ultra right" in the UK and US is so far removed from the needs of the people they need to be representing.

I'm just a simple boy from Ipswich, when I see my town struggling I want a Government that is focussed on that - the Ipswich Labour Party seem to do good work, and focus on the issues that affect it.

There are presumably, judging by the CLP vote, other local Labour parties that are more interested in debating Palestine than what they are seeing in front of them in their own communities

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:13 - Jan 17 with 1005 viewsitfcjoe

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:06 - Jan 17 by Darth_Koont

Then you're a little naive. Palestine and its foreign policy implications are massively important. It's even been central to the most powerful lobbying in domestic politics in the US and the UK.

Re: the NHS coming in 6th, I can see why it doesn't necessarily take priority over certain others like schools, housing, Brexit, working contracts as they are hugely important too. But it was still important and still debated.

And do you feel Windrush was more or less important than the NHS? That only affected a relatively small amount of people in representative terms but of course the implications are enormous beyond that. Same with Palestine IMO as an example of the foreign policy we want from our government.

Windrush is/was the Government failing it's own people, I'm sure lots of the CLPs can see the devastating effects it is having in their own communities

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:17 - Jan 17 with 996 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:10 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

I'm just a simple boy from Ipswich, when I see my town struggling I want a Government that is focussed on that - the Ipswich Labour Party seem to do good work, and focus on the issues that affect it.

There are presumably, judging by the CLP vote, other local Labour parties that are more interested in debating Palestine than what they are seeing in front of them in their own communities

Maybe some are more interested. I'm not but I can understand and respect why they perhaps see the major world problems as being ultimately more important and significant even to the UK itself.

In my view you need local and global at the same time (and everything in between). One or the other extreme isn't going to work on its own.

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:22 - Jan 17 with 985 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:13 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

Windrush is/was the Government failing it's own people, I'm sure lots of the CLPs can see the devastating effects it is having in their own communities

Our approach to the Middle East has created instability that has resulted (and unchecked will continue to result) in turmoil and upheaval that produces refugee/immigration crises not to mention many thousands of lives being lost including our own military and civilians.

I'm not sure how it isn't an important issue with Palestine a critical and shamefully ignored component to resolve.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 16:17 - Jan 17 with 919 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 10:21 - Jan 17 by footers

Well bless your heart for the name-check

I don't despise the working class, but I do think it's very easy to make people vote against their own best interests.

You may want to consider your posting style then, as spending the last few years on here consistently calling the types of people that would undoubtedly come under the working class banner thick/racist/turkeys, and generally ripping the p*ss out of the them, rather suggests otherwise
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 16:28]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 16:27 - Jan 17 with 905 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 10:39 - Jan 17 by Darth_Koont

So you think Thornberry is making a statement about the working class based on the statement she thinks that flag fetishist is making at the time of a by-election?

Can you please fill in the massive gaps?

London Labour MP tweeting a house with England flags and a white van like it’s an amazing scene, with said tweet dripping in barely disguised sarcasm

Clueless

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 16:32 - Jan 17 with 896 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 13:10 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

This x 1000

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 16:35 - Jan 17 with 890 viewsbrogansnose

My wifes job was under threat when South Staffs health NHS lost their contract to run services in the area. She was advised to join Unite to help protect her job and working conditions which she consequently did as the organisation which were taking over the contract had a dreadful reputation. First meeting that she went to - which was supposed to discuss what was happening to her and her work colleagues - spent more time debating and talking about a resolution over Palestine , by a long chalk, than her potentially losing her job.

I'm not saying that the Palestinian issue isn't important but there are a lot more matters closer to home that need addressing and in not doing so you leave yourself wide open to claims of being out of touch.
Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 17:10 - Jan 17 with 855 viewsjimmyvet

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 12:52 - Jan 17 by Bluesquid

You really don't know the history of the Palestinian issue do you?

Do well to read up on it and the major role that Britain played in creating the mess and therefore Britain has a morale obligation to pursue a fair and balanced solution for all parties which Labour are trying to do.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 13:23]

What by supporting a terrorist organisation like Hamas who murder their political opponents, kill homosexuals, fire rockets indiscriminately into Israel and call for the death and destruction of Jews and the state of Israel. Those the far left support do absolutely zero to further the cause of the those who truly suffer in the Gaza Strip and the far left in Labour call these murdering terrorists their friends. Hamas have no interest at all in a balanced solution as you call it!
Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 17:28 - Jan 17 with 838 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 17:10 - Jan 17 by jimmyvet

What by supporting a terrorist organisation like Hamas who murder their political opponents, kill homosexuals, fire rockets indiscriminately into Israel and call for the death and destruction of Jews and the state of Israel. Those the far left support do absolutely zero to further the cause of the those who truly suffer in the Gaza Strip and the far left in Labour call these murdering terrorists their friends. Hamas have no interest at all in a balanced solution as you call it!

There you go again, Jimmy ... with your fabulously nuanced world view.

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 18:11 - Jan 17 with 811 viewsGaryCooper

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 17:10 - Jan 17 by jimmyvet

'Those the far left support do absolutely zero to further the cause of the those who truly suffer'

Yep, to ease the suffering the labour party has to get elected, at the moment they are controlled by Canute like zealots arguing with the tide.
Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 18:16 - Jan 17 with 800 viewsitfcjoe

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 16:35 - Jan 17 by brogansnose

My wifes job was under threat when South Staffs health NHS lost their contract to run services in the area. She was advised to join Unite to help protect her job and working conditions which she consequently did as the organisation which were taking over the contract had a dreadful reputation. First meeting that she went to - which was supposed to discuss what was happening to her and her work colleagues - spent more time debating and talking about a resolution over Palestine , by a long chalk, than her potentially losing her job.

I'm not saying that the Palestinian issue isn't important but there are a lot more matters closer to home that need addressing and in not doing so you leave yourself wide open to claims of being out of touch.

I just don’t get it, what can a union representing British workers do with regards to an international conflict?

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 18:45 - Jan 17 with 777 viewsDarth_Koont

Labour would be crazy not to elect Lisa Nandy as their leader on 18:16 - Jan 17 by itfcjoe

I just don’t get it, what can a union representing British workers do with regards to an international conflict?

Affect the party that represents the union and those workers? Promote internationalist values?

A key aspect of the union and worker philosophy is strength through solidarity and that's cross-border too. I think that's fair enough based on how we've seen the world develop and the cooperation that is still needed to make things work.

The idea of "Workers of the world unite" and the Internationale is pretty core to the Labour movement. Or rather was. It's only latterly in the UK it's become part of a meaningless, Orwellian power struggle for marginal seats and tabloid favour between the empty suits with blue ties and the empty suits with red ones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024