Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see 17:35 - Feb 3 with 5360 viewsAlexGreen

What's your top, non footballing sporting experience you've witnessed first-hand.

I've been to the F1 in US and a few boxing fights, but I think a 9 darter by Raymond van Barneveld in the world finals was the top for me; the atmosphere was amazing and it was something (at the time at least) that really never happened in big matches.

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:25 - Feb 3 with 2192 viewsSharkey

Javed Miandad batting for Glamorgan at Colchester. Sometimes cited as the most remarkable championship innings ever, even though Essex eventually won.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:54 - Feb 3 with 2161 viewsWeWereZombies

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:24 - Feb 3 by Swansea_Blue

I left Arequipa the afternoon before that 2001 quake hit, which toppled one of the towers on the cathedral. We were staying right by it, and had been in the square at lunch before getting a domestic flight out. When the quake hit I think we were up in the air, so didn’t realise anything had happened until a day after. I was gutted to have missed it!

Trekking to Machu Pichu was part of that trip too - sunrise over the site was just superb.

My girlfriend might have been in Arequipa at the same as you, by the time of the quake I think she had moved on to Lake Titicaca. I was still in Cusco, having a siesta. So when the tremors woke me it took a while to figure out what was going on and when I did I rushed to the doorway to look out and see what was happening.

Everyone had cleared off, that was what was happening. But I reckon a spectator able to view the scene from a suitable vantage point would have had a laugh - blind panic and evacuation, then three minutes later a bleary gringo opens a bedroom door to gawp out.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 4:05]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:59 - Feb 3 with 2159 viewsReuser_is_God

Was there the day England won the Ashes in 09

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 05:57 - Feb 4 with 2088 viewsNewcyBlue

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:08 - Feb 3 by bluelagos

Not really "classic" but worth a mention...

Lost all my windows to an armed depot exploding in 2002
Arm robbed in 2005 (7 robbers with AK47s)
Chased by armed robbers 3 times (got away) on 3rd mainland bridge
Drove through a gang of machete wielding area boys attacking locals
Hospitalised 3 times with Malaria
Plane evacuated on the runway (2005) due to (false) security alert
Car impounded for making illegal u-turn
Too many police stops / fines to count (All bollx reasons)
Lost count of the threats

All during first (of three) stints in Lagos (01-05). Not for the feint hearted.
:-)

Edited as I realised the OP says “sporting moments”
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 5:59]

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 06:43 - Feb 4 with 2070 viewswoodbridge_blue

Alvin Kallicharan destroying Dennis Lillee at The Oval in the 1975 World Cup, scoring 35 in a 10-ball spell from the Vauxhall End.

George Brett stealing home base to win a game for the Kansas City Royals...a feat only achieved a few times in the history of the sport.

My son making his debut for Suffolk Under 11s cricket team away to Lincolnshire.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 07:05 - Feb 4 with 2057 viewsIPS_wich

Saw Britain win the Men's team pursuit and Victoria Pendleton win the Keirin at the 2012 Olympics.

Saw Bayern Munich clinch the Bundesliga at home in 1997 (a birthday present from my girlfriend who was studying in Germany for a year)

Saw Yorkshire beat Lancashire in a one day game at Headingley sometime in 95/96/97 - when I was studying in Leeds. Only time I've seen major crown segregation at a game of cricket.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 16:35 - Feb 4 with 1998 viewsWeWereZombies

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 05:57 - Feb 4 by NewcyBlue

Edited as I realised the OP says “sporting moments”
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 5:59]

Yep, I've realised that (too late), if only the OP had been a 'look at me, what a life I have led' instead ...

But go on, give us a list of juicy close scrapes.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 16:47 - Feb 4 with 1994 viewsAlexGreen

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 16:35 - Feb 4 by WeWereZombies

Yep, I've realised that (too late), if only the OP had been a 'look at me, what a life I have led' instead ...

But go on, give us a list of juicy close scrapes.

I'm happy to edit my OP to be 'sporting and non sporting moments' if it makes you all happy! :)

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Login to get fewer ads

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 16:54 - Feb 4 with 1987 viewsRadlett_blue

I experienced a 5.9 Richter scale magnitude earthquake when on holiday in LA in 1987. I'd had quite an evening out the night before so woke at 7:42am to find the room shaking and a light fitting swaying. Tried to work out where I was, realised I was in LA so thought "OH, it's only an earthquake" so turned over & went back to sleep.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:02 - Feb 4 with 1980 viewsmonytowbray

Come to think of it, none. Which is quite weird. Outside of Football I've only been to one basketball game and one NFL game. Amazing how much TV coverage has skewed being in the moment.

I've seen some fairly special stuff in relation to gigs and music.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:07 - Feb 4 with 1980 viewsCoastalblue

I was at Murrayfield for the Grand Slam decider in 90? Or was it 91? 90 I think.

result was wrong for me but an amazing experience, incredible atmosphere and a rather long and tasty night on the town after.

Seen some great cricketing moments as part of a days play but never been lucky enough to be present for an Ashes winning day or anything like that. Seen Essex pick up a couple of trophies I guess.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:08 - Feb 4 with 1978 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:48 - Feb 3 by SWGF

Was at the SCG when Steve Waugh scored a century in the afternoon against England in 2003, getting to 100 off the last ball of the day. Taking him past 10,000 Test runs and equalling Bradman's century count.
Was at the MCG to see Shane Warne's 700th Test wicket in 2006.
At the Oval for Alastair Cook's last Test innings.

And jimsymBLUE reminds be that I was at Trent Bridge for Broad's crazy morning
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 17:53]

I was at the SCG that day for Waugh's hundred. Also enjoyed Michael Vaughn scoring a hundred in the previous test at the MCG which made him the highest test runs scorer in 2002 - someone in the England crowd almost immediately piped up with "Michael Vaughn, superstar, scores more runs than Tendulkar".

I also saw Alastair Cook become the highest English run score at Headlingley in 2015 and Joe Root score his first test 100 at the same venue in 2013.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:11 - Feb 4 with 1976 viewsRadlett_blue

I was working on the scoreboards at Turnberry in 1977 so I saw pretty much every shot from Nicklaus & Watson in the "Duel in the Sun".
I should have been at Edgbaston to see Botham's 5 for 1 to bowl out the Aussies on the Sunday, but we were staying with my mate just outside Birmingham & he said his mum would be very disappointed if we went to the cricket and didn't hang around for the family barbecue.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:51 - Feb 4 with 1952 viewsmonty_radio

Sadly, as far as I can recall, and though being one of the older posters on here, a classic total of nil first-hand non-football glories witnessed first-hand. There must be others who could say similar?

Though I once took a group of kids to see Essex play a warm up against the Windies in which Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes batted all day, and Essex failed to take a single wicket, if that counts.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:58 - Feb 4 with 1949 viewsPJH

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:51 - Feb 4 by monty_radio

Sadly, as far as I can recall, and though being one of the older posters on here, a classic total of nil first-hand non-football glories witnessed first-hand. There must be others who could say similar?

Though I once took a group of kids to see Essex play a warm up against the Windies in which Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes batted all day, and Essex failed to take a single wicket, if that counts.

Throughout the 1980's and into the 1990's a group of us used to almost always go to the second day of The Oval test match and there were some great 'moments' in there one of which was seeing Clive Lloyd take a catch(Peter Willey I think) in the gully that seemed stupendous.

Seeing Michael Holding starting his run up from just about on the boundary was interesting too.

Frequently saw the track record broken, often by John Louis, at speedway meetings at Foxhall in the early to mid 1970's if that counts.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:01 - Feb 4 with 1945 viewsBluearmy71

Regarding Darts in your comment, I wasn't there but I watched the great John Lowe do the first ever televised 9 Dart finish in or close to 1984 if I recall!
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:07 - Feb 4 with 1943 viewsTractorgirlforever

Seeing a lakers game ,with kobe bryant in the team, which makes it even more special now.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:07 - Feb 4 with 1910 viewsScottCandage

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:07 - Feb 4 by Tractorgirlforever

Seeing a lakers game ,with kobe bryant in the team, which makes it even more special now.

I was on Jeopardy, came in 3rd, and got an $800 gift certificate to TicketsNow.com. I got a courtside seat for a Lakers/Celtics game (I'm a huge Celtics fan). It was peak Shaq/Kobe era, but Shaq was out injured (he was there in the biggest yellow suit I had ever seen!). So It was Kobe vs. Pierce and Walker. I was on the end of the court where Kobe was on the wing, so I was pretty close to him for the second half. He wasn't having the best of nights, so every time he missed, I would stand up and yell at him, "I guess we see who the real star is on this team!"

All about the rivalry, innit. :D

P.S. - The Celtics won.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 20:17]
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:35 - Feb 4 with 1885 viewsbluelagos

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:07 - Feb 4 by ScottCandage

I was on Jeopardy, came in 3rd, and got an $800 gift certificate to TicketsNow.com. I got a courtside seat for a Lakers/Celtics game (I'm a huge Celtics fan). It was peak Shaq/Kobe era, but Shaq was out injured (he was there in the biggest yellow suit I had ever seen!). So It was Kobe vs. Pierce and Walker. I was on the end of the court where Kobe was on the wing, so I was pretty close to him for the second half. He wasn't having the best of nights, so every time he missed, I would stand up and yell at him, "I guess we see who the real star is on this team!"

All about the rivalry, innit. :D

P.S. - The Celtics won.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 20:17]

You remember our Twtd exchange the night u were on Jeopardy?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:39 - Feb 4 with 1881 viewsjaykay

visiting hiroshima and nagasaki.
Gallipoli
walking the wall china
white water rafting in borneo
helicopter trip over the grand canyon
the tunnels near hanoi [you can fire a M30 machine gun here at a price .]
sailing through the panama canal
seeing the himalayas close up in january
opps sporting events as the kids say my bad
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 21:36]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:51 - Feb 4 with 1869 viewsScottCandage

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:35 - Feb 4 by bluelagos

You remember our Twtd exchange the night u were on Jeopardy?

It was a long time ago, 2001, I don't think I do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024